• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

You may not like Trump personally, but look what he has done for the economy

LoL, I like how you used the “post covid” numbers!! Never let the facts get in the way of a good narrative!!

The United States has 4% of the world's population, and 25% of the world's COVID deaths. I don't think the President is off the hook for his mishandling of the pandemic, particularly after he lied to the American people downplayed the pandemic so as not to cause a panic.

COVID-19 aside though, President Trump was failing on the economy long before the Pandemic.

Job growth, GDP growth, eliminating trade deficits, shrinking the budget deficit, and eliminating the national debt, were Trump's answers to everything related to the economy during his campaign and during the debates.

Job growth was slower every single year even before the pandemic. GDP growth hasn't been at the 5% he promised, or even the 4% that he says was too low since 2014. Not a single quarter since he took office. The budget deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our trade deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our national debt was higher every single year, even before the pandemic.

Trump promised to balance the budget. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to reduce the trade deficit. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to reduce the national debt. He failed, even before the pandemic.

To top it all off, after all these failures to follow through on his campaign promises, he gives himself an "A+" for the "tremendous job" he's done.

Our economy is worse off by nearly every metric now than it was before Donald Trump took office.

Listen i didn’t vote for trump but your assigning blame where none is due. First off the president has no control over what states due in response to covid and shouldn’t. Not to mention that our covid numbers are a joke.... if you die of a gun shout wound but test positive for covid, you are getting listed as a covid-19 death so that hospitals can get that nice federal money.
Unemployment was 3.5% before covid, thats good.
GDP was 3.5% in 2018. Not bad. But it’s been staying around 2 and 3% since we came back from the Fannie May Freddie Mac disaster. And The president has no control over the budget, that’s congress.
now I agree that the budget and the national debt is out of control but that is a run away train that no one can stop. We decided a long time ago to be a nation of debt instead of wealth. any politician that try’s to cut the trillions we spend on buying votes through Medicare, medicade, welfare, unemployment, etc. will never be elected again. A balanced budget isn’t going to happen. Now while I agree that it’s unsustainable and will be our destruction. If you think joe Biden is going to step in and LOWER federal spending.... that’s a joke. He will increase spending and raise taxes on everyone across the board and we all know that raising taxes actually decreases the income to the treasury. And as important as this stuff is.... it’s really a side issue here. There are two options moving forward. One side believes that for all our faults we are basically a good nation built on great principles.
and the other side believes that our country was built on evil, lies and racism.... and therefore everything we have produced since then is evil, therefore we must tear down the entire system and rebuild a new system that guarantees equality of outcome! And I’m sorry but I watched that experiment fail over and over in the 20th century!

The United States has 4% of the world's population, and 25% of the world's COVID deaths. I don't think the President is off the hook for his mishandling of the pandemic, particularly after he lied to the American people downplayed the pandemic so as not to cause a panic.

COVID-19 aside though, President Trump was failing on the economy long before the Pandemic.

Job growth, GDP growth, eliminating trade deficits, shrinking the budget deficit, and eliminating the national debt, were Trump's answers to everything related to the economy during his campaign and during the debates.

Job growth was slower every single year even before the pandemic. GDP growth hasn't been at the 5% he promised, or even the 4% that he says was too low since 2014. Not a single quarter since he took office. The budget deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our trade deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our national debt was higher every single year, even before the pandemic.

Trump promised to balance the budget. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to reduce the trade deficit. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to reduce the national debt. He failed, even before the pandemic.

To top it all off, after all these failures to follow through on his campaign promises, he gives himself an "A+" for the "tremendous job" he's done.

Our economy is worse off by nearly every metric now than it was before Donald Trump took office.
Listen i didn’t vote for trump but your assigning blame where none is due. First off the president has no control over what states due in response to covid and shouldn’t. Not to mention that our covid numbers are a joke.... if you die of a gun shout wound but test positive for covid, you are getting listed as a covid-19 death so that hospitals can get that nice federal money.
GDP was 3.5% in 2018. Not bad. But it’s been staying around 2 and 3% since we came back from the Fannie May Freddie Mac disaster. And The president has no control over the budget, that’s congress.
now I agree that the budget and the national debt is out of control but that is a run away train that no one can stop. We decided a long time ago to be a nation of debt instead of wealth. any politician that try’s to cut the trillions we spend on buying votes through Medicare, medicade, welfare, unemployment, etc. will never be elected again. A balanced budget isn’t going to happen. Now while I agree that it’s unsustainable and will be our destruction. If you think joe Biden is going to step in and LOWER federal spending.... that’s a joke. He will increase spending and raise taxes on everyone across the board and we all know that raising taxes actually decreases the income to the treasury. And as important as this stuff is.... it’s really a side issue here. There are two options moving forward. One side believes that for all our faults we are basically a good nation built on great principles.
and the other side believes that our country was built on evil, lies and racism.... and therefore everything we have produced since then is evil, therefore we must tear down the entire system and rebuild a new system that guarantees equality of outcome! And I’m sorry but I watched that experiment fail over and over in the 20th century!

Trump takes credit for the US response to COVID. He gives himself "an A+," but you don't think he should bear any responsibility for the US response to COIVD? If our COVID numbers are a joke, then why complain about evaluating where our economy actually is instead of evaluating some cherry-picked time a few months ago when our economy was doing better?

Sure, unemployment continued to drop at around the same rate that it had throughout Obama's presidency. I don't see how that is particularly to President Trump's credit.

If you go to the firing range, and your buddy says "watch this. I'm going to hit the target right between the eyes" and then he proceeds to hit the target in knee, that doesn't seem like an incredible display of marksmanship to me. It seems like pure luck that he hit the target at all.

Trump campaigned on job growth, GDP growth, eliminating trade deficits, shrinking the budget deficit, and eliminating the national debt. He failed at all of these things. If unemployment and stocks weren't terrible, it is only to be expected that he would get lucky on a few metrics. I'm evaluating him on what he told Chris Wallace he would do for the economy, what he told Bill O'Reilly he would do for the economy, what he told Stephanopoulos he would do for the economy, what he told the American people he would do for the economy. He failed on the specific targets that he was going for.

He promised 5% GDP growth. He failed to deliver. The last time we had 5% GDP growth was in 2014 when Joe Biden was in the White House.

Also, if you believe that the president has no control over the budget, then repeat after me "President Trump was a fool for promising to reduce the budget deficit. He should have known that he would have no control over the budget, and America deserves better."

now I agree that the budget and the national debt is out of control but that is a run away train that no one can stop. We decided a long time ago to be a nation of debt instead of wealth. any politician that try’s to cut the trillions we spend on buying votes through Medicare, medicade, welfare, unemployment, etc. will never be elected again.

If you believe that then repeat after me "President Trump was a fool for promising to reduce the budget deficit and promising to eliminate the national debt over 8 years. He should have known that he couldn't follow through, and America deserves better."

A balanced budget isn’t going to happen.

Repeat after me: "President Trump was a fool for promising to reduce the budget deficit. He should have known that he couldn't follow through, and America deserves better."

Now while I agree that it’s unsustainable and will be our destruction. If you think joe Biden is going to step in and LOWER federal spending.... that’s a joke. He will increase spending and raise taxes on everyone across the board and we all know that raising taxes actually decreases the income to the treasury.

Are folks still pretending that Republicans are the conservative party? In the last 50 years, there have been exactly 4 years that we had a balanced budget:
  • 2001 - $128.2 billion budget surplus
  • 2000 - $236.2 billion budget surplus
  • 1999 - $125.6 billion budget surplus
  • 1998 - $69.3 billion budget surplus
Three out of four of those years we had a Democrat in the White House, and the other year, Bush was just riding on Clinton's coattails. You can tell because of the following 7 years that he spent increasing the deficit again.

And as important as this stuff is.... it’s really a side issue here. There are two options moving forward. One side believes that for all our faults we are basically a good nation built on great principles.
and the other side believes that our country was built on evil, lies and racism.... and therefore everything we have produced since then is evil, therefore we must tear down the entire system and rebuild a new system that guarantees equality of outcome!

That is incorrect. One side believes that for all our faults, we still have the opportunity to acknowledge our mistakes, learn from them, remedy them, and avoid them in the future.

The other side denies that we even have faults.

And I’m sorry but I watched that experiment fail over and over in the 20th century!

If you want to talk about history repeating itself, The Empire of Rome had a similar history of enslaving and exploiting people. In this case, Germanic tribes. Instead of acknowledging their mistakes and working to help Germanic peoples within the Roman Empire gain equal status, they took the "law and order" approach of quelling insurrection through violence.

The last Ceasar was forced to abdicate to Flavius Odoacer in 476 when Odoacer and his Germanic "thugs" sacked Rome. Do you think Odoacer could have torn the Heruli, Scirian, and Turcilingi tribes away from their bread and circuses if they had all enjoyed economic parity with Roman citizens?

Did Bush leave it to the states after 9/11? No he was there with them leading the response. Obama's response to Ebola helped drive that case count down dramatically. Trump has done nothing but make an ass out of himself. Over 200,000 dead Americans on Trump's watch. Please stop.

Did Bush leave it to the states after 9/11? No he was there with them leading the response. Obama's response to Ebola helped drive that case count down dramatically. Trump has done nothing but make an ass out of himself. Over 200,000 dead Americans on Trump's watch. Please stop.

Oh christ, stupidity knows no bounds does it? I mean my god, let's compare 9/11 to a VIRUS...... tell me....what exactly did Wyoming enact when 9/11 hit? Be specific as you can be..right?

Obama's response to Ebola? Really? Oh, same, be specific.

Oh christ, stupidity knows no bounds does it? I mean my god, let's compare 9/11 to a VIRUS...... tell me....what exactly did Wyoming enact when 9/11 hit? Be specific as you can be..right?

Obama's response to Ebola? Really? Oh, same, be specific.

Didn't like that, huh? :LOL:
I'm talking about leadership in the time of national crisis, at which Trump has failed miserably. You don't abandon the states in a time of crisis. Does your stupidity know no bounds? Over 200,000 dead Americans on Trump's watch. :rolleyes:

Didn't like that, huh? :LOL:
I'm talking about leadership in the time of national crisis, at which Trump has failed miserably. You don't abandon the states in a time of crisis. Does your stupidity know no bounds? Over 200,000 dead Americans on Trump's watch. :rolleyes:

Oh, so Bush did leave it to the States? Or was that such a completely different situation that you answered a math question by saying ****ing potato?

Yea, 200,000 dead americans dead to a pandemic, that apparently, according to you, anyone else would have stopped dead in it's track...right? oh wait.. no? people would still die? ****....well then....200K americans dead, New York, 33K dead out of that 200K, question, how much blame do you assign to Cuomo for letting infected patients BACK INTO NURSING HOMES ?

What? That was out of his control?

Oh, so Bush did leave it to the States? Or was that such a completely different situation that you answered a math question by saying ****ing potato?

Yea, 200,000 dead americans dead to a pandemic, that apparently, according to you, anyone else would have stopped dead in it's track...right? oh wait.. no? people would still die? ****....well then....200K americans dead, New York, 33K dead out of that 200K, question, how much blame do you assign to Cuomo for letting infected patients BACK INTO NURSING HOMES ?

What? That was out of his control?

A-gain, I'm talking about leadership in a time of national crisis, and Trump is a colossal failure in that regard compared to past presidents. The 200, 000 dead Americans on Trump's watch, and his worst response to the pandemic in the world should tell you something, with should being the keyword.😏
His ridiculous ideas about the disease, and his history-making inaction can no longer be denied with any credibility. I'm very happy to help bring this out.😀 Very happy indeed.😀

Last edited:
A-gain, I'm talking about leadership in a time of national crisis, and Trump is a colossal failure in that regard compared to past presidents. The 200, 000 dead Americans on Trump's watch, and his worst response to the pandemic in the world should tell you something, with should being the keyword.😏
His ridiculous ideas about the disease, and his history-making inaction can no longer be denied with any credibility. I'm very happy to help bring this out.😀 Ver happy indeed.😀

It tells me that your partisanship is affecting your thinking skills

His ridiculous ideas about the disease, and his history-making inaction can no longer be denied with any credibility. I'm very happy to help bring this out.😀 Very happy indeed.😀

Answer me this, what does Trumps leadership or non leadership have ANYYTHING TO DO WITH, the Govenor's decisions to do in their states, ie, Cuomo shipping infected patients back to nursing homes, or Newsome locking down his state etc,

Do you think they ran it by Trump first?

Answer me this, what does Trumps leadership or non leadership have ANYYTHING TO DO WITH, the Govenor's decisions to do in their states, ie, Cuomo shipping infected patients back to nursing homes, or Newsome locking down his state etc,

Do you think they ran it by Trump first?

It is Trump's role as president to lead during times like this by offering up the latest and best actions against the crisis, not to pawn off responsibility to the states. Past presidents have had much better responses to state emergencies such as hurricanes, than Trump's inaction regarding a national crisis like Covid. You keep asking what it has to do with this and with that while refusing to acknowledge Trump's abysmal lack of leadership while American's continue to die. Really? Are you in that deep?

Try to imagine Barack Obama is president, and he has done the exact same thing that Trump has done (nothing) and over 200,000 Americans are dead and the toll is rising daily. Does that give you a more realistic perspective?

GDP growth 2016: 1.7%
GDP growth today: -3.8% (note the negative sign)

The unemployment rate 2016: 4.7%
The unemployment rate today: 8.4%

Budget Deficit 2016: $587 Billion
Budget Deficit today: $3,300 Billion

National Debt 2016: $19 Trillion
National Debt today: $26 Trillion

Annual Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Annual Trade Deficit today: $616.8 Billion

The economy was empirically better off when Joe Biden was in the White House.
To be honest with everyone, Trump couldn't have added to deficit or the national debt from 4 Jan 2019 to today without the Democratic House first passing those spending bills. The Democratic House is holding out for more spending for the next COVID stimulus. So the Democrats want to add more to the deficit and debt than the president or the Republicans do. The president can't spend a dime unless congress first approves it, which includes the Democratic House and the Republican Senate.

The national debt has increased from 22.46 trillion in Jan 2019 to 26.73 as of August 2020. This increase lies at the feet of both major parties.

You can blame all debt and deficits added from Jan 2017 through Dec 2018 to Trump and the GOP. But not since January 2019. This latest addition was both the Democratic House and the Republican Senate along with Trump walking hand in hand to add this to the debt..

As for the trade deficits, I'll defer to you since I have never kept track of those. But it is totally wrong to blame Trump alone for any increase for the national debt and the deficits from January 2019 through today as the Democrats have had as much to do with that as Trump has and the GOP controlled senate.

That my friend is the truth.

To be honest with everyone, Trump couldn't have added to deficit or the national debt from 4 Jan 2019 to today without the Democratic House first passing those spending bills. The Democratic House is holding out for more spending for the next COVID stimulus. So the Democrats want to add more to the deficit and debt than the president or the Republicans do. The president can't spend a dime unless congress first approves it, which includes the Democratic House and the Republican Senate.

The national debt has increased from 22.46 trillion in Jan 2019 to 26.73 as of August 2020. This increase lies at the feet of both major parties.

You can blame all debt and deficits added from Jan 2017 through Dec 2018 to Trump and the GOP. But not since January 2019. This latest addition was both the Democratic House and the Republican Senate along with Trump walking hand in hand to add this to the debt..

As for the trade deficits, I'll defer to you since I have never kept track of those. But it is totally wrong to blame Trump alone for any increase for the national debt and the deficits from January 2019 through today as the Democrats have had as much to do with that as Trump has and the GOP controlled senate.

That my friend is the truth.

I don't disagree with the participation of the Democratic House and Republican Senate in adding to the national debt, but then again, I wasn't saying that they didn't participate. I am holding President Trump accountable for his failure to keep his campaign promises.

His whole schtick is that he is this "Art of the Deal" master. So when he says that he can eliminate the national debt in 8 years, we are expected to take that to mean that he can make a deal with the Democrats to pass a balanced budget. He can bribe them with cooperating on gun control, or leverage them with dirt that he has on their campaign finance violations or just ask them really nicely with his charismatic nature that they just can't resist. However he planned to do it, he failed to get it done. He didn't sweet-talk them into a balanced budget, he didn't strongarm them into a balanced budget. He just failed to deliver what he said he would deliver.

I don't disagree with the participation of the Democratic House and Republican Senate in adding to the national debt, but then again, I wasn't saying that they didn't participate. I am holding President Trump accountable for his failure to keep his campaign promises.

His whole schtick is that he is this "Art of the Deal" master. So when he says that he can eliminate the national debt in 8 years, we are expected to take that to mean that he can make a deal with the Democrats to pass a balanced budget. He can bribe them with cooperating on gun control, or leverage them with dirt that he has on their campaign finance violations or just ask them really nicely with his charismatic nature that they just can't resist. However he planned to do it, he failed to get it done. He didn't sweet-talk them into a balanced budget, he didn't strongarm them into a balanced budget. He just failed to deliver what he said he would deliver.
Name me a president that did keep his campaign promises. In fact news reporters are shocked when a president fulfills one or two of them. I don't think most of us expect them too. Then again if the candidates were honest, when they make some of these campaign promises, they would add if congress goes along with it as congress has to pass the legislation. Candidates for president make it seem they can do all this stuff they promise alone, on their own which is totally BS. So I don't pay much if any attention to campaign promises.

I don't pay any attention to their rhetoric either, just their actions. You're correct, Trump never made any attempt to bring the deficit down or to reign in the national debt. Especially during his first two years when the GOP controlled both chambers of congress.. He actually made it worse with his tax cuts, in my opinion anyway.

Name me a president that did keep his campaign promises. In fact news reporters are shocked when a president fulfills one or two of them. I don't think most of us expect them too. Then again if the candidates were honest, when they make some of these campaign promises, they would add if congress goes along with it as congress has to pass the legislation. Candidates for president make it seem they can do all this stuff they promise alone, on their own which is totally BS. So I don't pay much if any attention to campaign promises.

They all overpromise and underdeliver. And when their contract is up for renewal, we can evaluate how much they overpromised, and how much they underdelivered.

I don't pay any attention to their rhetoric either, just their actions.

Not me. I have work, and life and I haven't yet beaten all the Civilization VI victory conditions on Deity yet. So I don't have time to be a good backseat president, and I don't have a cabinet of experts to help me figure out all the right choices.

Instead of deciding what actions I would take as president, assuming that those are the best actions, and then judging presidential candidates by how closely their actions match what I would do as president, I judge them as I would anyone else that I hire to do a job.

If I take my car in, and the mechanic says "It's definitely the fuel injection system. We replace that and I guarantee your car will stop making that popping noise." I don't evaluate the mechanic based on whether or not I agree with him about the fuel injection system. I'm not a mechanic, I don't presume to be an expert on diagnosing car trouble. Instead, I evaluate him on whether the popping noise stopped like he said it would.

On the other hand, if I take my car in and the mechanic says "It's definitely the carburetor. Believe me. I know carburetors better than anybody. I know carburetors better than the manufacturers that make the carburetors. It's definitely the carburetor. After we replace the carburetor, not only will the popping noise stop, your car will go from 0 to 350 in 0.34 seconds. It will have that new car smell. It will even have an ejector seat and missiles just like James Bond! You are so lucky to have me as your mechanic."

To which I respond "My car is fuel injected."

To which he replies. "Yeah. Fuel injected. That's the trouble. The fuel isn't being injected through the carburetor right. We just replace that carburetor and your car will run better than it did fresh off the lot."

Then I tend to think its time to find a new mechanic.

You're correct, Trump never made any attempt to bring the deficit down or to reign in the national debt. Especially during his first two years when the GOP controlled both chambers of congress.. He actually made it worse with his tax cuts, in my opinion anyway.

I agree wholeheartedly.

It is Trump's role as president to lead during times like this by offering up the latest and best actions against the crisis, not to pawn off responsibility to the states. Past presidents have had much better responses to state emergencies such as hurricanes, than Trump's inaction regarding a national crisis like Covid. You keep asking what it has to do with this and with that while refusing to acknowledge Trump's abysmal lack of leadership while American's continue to die. Really? Are you in that deep?

Try to imagine Barack Obama is president, and he has done the exact same thing that Trump has done (nothing) and over 200,000 Americans are dead and the toll is rising daily. Does that give you a more realistic perspective?

So in your tiny mind, Montana should have had the SAME RESPONSE as New York?

So in your tiny mind, Montana should have had the SAME RESPONSE as New York?
Where did I sat that?
Your insults reveal how unprepared for the truth, and how truly desperate you are.

Your first post and you had to go full ignorant?
Not more than you are doing.

Let me ask you one question, what is going on right now in 2020, that wasn't happening in 2016?
Back then there was NOT an incompetent imbecile in charge. Not we have Trump and the low intellect morons still keep kissing his ass.

Cmon now...answer slowly so you don't hurt yourself
The pain of your contortions are a strong deterrent.

Last edited:
By former do you men Joe Biden? If so care to debate?

I'll start .... What has Joe Biden accomplished in 47 years of politics? Now please compare that to what Donald Trump has accomplished in 47 months.
Bankruptcies, lots of scams and conned lots and lots of low intellect imbeciles that still defend him and kiss his ass. The stench will remain with you for ever.

Where did I sat that?
Your insults reveal how unprepared for the truth, and how truly desperate you are.

Sorry, you INFERRED IT......but now you are saying that you have to say something to actually mean it? ****ing amazing how you guys flip at your convenience...downright mindboggling

GDP growth 2016: 1.7%
GDP growth today: -3.8% (note the negative sign)

The unemployment rate 2016: 4.7%
The unemployment rate today: 8.4%

Budget Deficit 2016: $587 Billion
Budget Deficit today: $3,300 Billion

National Debt 2016: $19 Trillion
National Debt today: $26 Trillion

Annual Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Annual Trade Deficit today: $616.8 Billion

The economy was empirically better off when Joe Biden was in the White House.
Gr8te b4it, mate!

Sorry, you INFERRED IT......but now you are saying that you have to say something to actually mean it? ****ing amazing how you guys flip at your convenience...downright mindboggling

You support the slime Trump, you don't get to say "f'ing amazing!" unchecked! Jesus!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom