• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yet another home maintenance question: exterior caulking

That's a good solution for the misalignment, but I think (I could be wrong) that he was referring to how the front of the faux base is sitting over the edge of the concrete.

That thing was really phoned in.

That overhang is not hurting anything. It‘s likely that the same trim profile was used elsewhere, so replacing just the post‘s lower trim would result in a mismatch which might be even more noticeable.

The danger of this sort of repair reminds me of the old kid’s song. “…….the shin bone is connected to the leg bone, the leg bone is connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone……….”

or that old sweater where you begin to pull one one loose thread……..
This definitely has some deep, dark rabbit hole potential, but how bad can it really be? *sound of air raid siren off in distance*

Last edited:
That overhang is not hurting anything. It‘s likely that the same trim profile was used elsewhere, so replacing just the post‘s lower trim would result in a mismatch which might be even more noticeable.
Also the wear of the cladding where the wider molding has been keeping the UV rays off will be a different shade, @Cardinal will be rebuilding the entire house if he’s not careful….

Which begs the question: which is the lesser of two evils? Mismatched trim or weird overhanging base?

Which begs the question: which is the lesser of two evils? Mismatched trim or weird overhanging base?
Well, we have established that you are anal, will you be able to get to sleep tonight? That molding will draw your eye now more than ever…….

;)

Also the wear of the cladding where the wider molding has been keeping the UV rays off will be a different shade, @Cardinal will be rebuilding the entire house if he’s not careful….
Thanks for the concern, Rexedgar, but you don't need to worry about me. I've got this.

Thanks for the concern, Rexedgar, but you don't need to worry about me. I've got this.

@ttwtt78640

needs an excuse for a road-trip. That book costs way more than the cover price to some folks……

Exactly. Sometimes it’s best to accept some minor cosmetic imperfections, so long as they don’t create other problems. I do a fair amount of remodel and restoration work and, unless the customer demands that something be changed, I tend to leave well enough alone.

A good deal of my work (as a self-employed handyman) is fixing previous DYI jobs or what they considered to have been a very good deal (at the time) by some previous contractor. :)

Exactly. Sometimes it’s best to accept some minor cosmetic imperfections, so long as they don’t create other problems. I do a fair amount of remodel and restoration work and, unless the customer demands that something be changed, I tend to leave well enough alone.
I'll take the excuse to leave well enough alone then. Until I examined the picture I never actually thought about the overhang, but I did notice the poor miter joints on my own. So I'll deal with the things I noticed and leave alone the things I didn't.

I'll take the excuse to leave well enough alone then. Until I examined the picture I never actually thought about the overhang, but I did notice the poor miter joints on my own. So I'll deal with the things I noticed and leave alone the things I didn't.

That’s a good compromise, IMHO.

Yeah, and I was just outside looking at the base again, and the image really does exaggerate the extent of the overhang. It's seriously not a big deal.

Okay! I've got next weekend's project to look forward to.

Oh, one last question: is there an efficient way to measure the arc of the trim so when I'm at the store I get the correct sized dowel?

Oh, one last question: is there an efficient way to measure the arc of the trim so when I'm at the store I get the correct sized dowel?

You don’t have to match the radius exactly, using anything the same size or smaller should work. It’s just going to be easier not to dig groves into the corners using a rounded backer block for the sandpaper. You could probably use a small spice jar, pill bottle or the handle of a screwdriver or (small) garden tool - no need to buy something special for such a small job.

Ionic or Doric?
Are you making fun of my house for not having ionic or corinthian columns? Look at the housing market, dude. Beggars can't be choosers. I took what I could get.

Are you making fun of my house for not having ionic or corinthian columns? Look at the housing market, dude. Beggars can't be choosers. I took what I could get.
You’re probably not old enough………

I forgot to answer that. Came with the house, and they're load bearing. I'm pretty sure the exterior is plastic.

You're getting plenty of good recommendation. It's definitely an application problem. I really don't know what caulking is going to accomplish, though, with water pooling on the cement foundation, anyway. Just sayin'. But, once you're at the top of the honey-do list, until you answer "It's done, honey" when she asks you if it's done, you'll feel like a 12-yr old with any other answer you give. Until then, she's adding task to the list. And you can't talk her out of #1. Good luck.

You're getting plenty of good recommendation. It's definitely an application problem. I really don't know what caulking is going to accomplish, though, with water pooling on the cement foundation, anyway. Just sayin'.

That is where that slight overhang of the post’s trim in front of the slab actually helps - any moisture which gets under the post’s trim has a way to get out. That is why you should not caulk the bottom edge of lap siding or (completely) under the bottom of window trim - if (when?) any moisture gets in, you should leave a way for it to get out.

But, once you're at the top of the honey-do list, until you answer "It's done, honey" when she asks you if it's done, you'll feel like a 12-yr old with any other answer you give. Until then, she's adding task to the list. And you can't talk her out of #1. Good luck.

Yep, home maintenance and improvement is a never ending process.

Back
Top Bottom