• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yet another home maintenance question: exterior caulking

This is as far down the rabbit hole as I'm going to go with the trim. There's caulk in the joints, making a seamless joint incredibly difficult. And frankly, if you're visiting my home, why is your face this close to the bases of my porch columns anyway? Get a life!

trim1.jpgtrim2.jpg

This is as far down the rabbit hole as I'm going to go with the trim. There's caulk in the joints, making a seamless joint incredibly difficult. And frankly, if you're visiting my home, why is your face this close to the bases of my porch columns anyway? Get a life!

View attachment 67387889View attachment 67387890
Streisand effect!

I’m bringing my microscope when my invitation the nest arrives…….;)

What's a consumer grade outdoor caulking/sealant that won't do this?

View attachment 67387289

"How many years ago was that done, Cardinal?"

Oh, just last Fall.

That was Sherwin Williams exterior sealant, and it did that in a couple weeks. Now it's warm weather again and it's time to take another stab at it, and this time do it right so Mrs. Cardinal loves me again.

All of my internet researching leads me to websites that are nothing more than Amazon aggregates, ranked by nothing more than their fake ratings. Other industrial/construction grade sealants require that I be a construction business and quite specifically won't mail to home addresses.

Who makes the good stuff?

Last fall???? Looks old. Looks like someone threwup on it and hoped you'd like it. Did you do this or did you pay someone? If the former, hire someone next time, and if you did pay someone, file a complaint.

View attachment 67387889View attachment 67387890

The problem is that the molding is too big for the pillar. Trim the molding and then finish with a thin neat silicone type caulk.

I was actually thinking of Duane Eddy, one of the greatest American guitarists ever, who came a little bit before Strait. He once said when he has a problem getting a part of his guitar instrumental just so, he would eliminate a note and that usually works.

I think @Cardinal has stated that these columns are load-bearing. Gotta be something solid inside?

Hollow can most certainly be load-bearing. Venting would indicate hollow. The column base is not made with proper venting, hence the overlap. At least the concrete support is appropriate for bearing load. The column is most likely hollow. If not, it's not filled with anything that would lend itself to structural strength.

That is why there are “rough in” and “finish“ carpenters.

General practitioner and surgeons

endless examples available…..

Then there are plastic surgeons. In this case, the job was done wrong when originally constructed and at least was a design flaw. It can't be made whole. If it were me, I'd remove one side piece of the base trim to see what the column base looks like and if it incl venting. That may not be worth the effort, though.

I was actually thinking of Duane Eddy, one of the greatest American guitarists ever, who came a little bit before Strait. He once said when he has a problem getting a part of his guitar instrumental just so, he would eliminate a note and that usually works.

There are quite a few great American guitarists…

There are quite a few great American guitarists…

I agree. The only thing to me about Stevie Ray, who was indeed a great one, is he sounded too much like Hendrix. In the 70s, you could hit a tree with a rock in L.A. and a dozen guitarists would fall out playing Hendrix instrumental of "Little Wing" and finish before they hit the ground. Only thing is, those were Hendrix' licks, not theirs, and Jimi's song, not theirs. Jimi's sound, not theirs. That's the diff.

I agree. The only thing to me about Stevie Ray, who was indeed a great one, is he sounded too much like Hendrix. In the 70s, you could hit a tree with a rock in L.A. and a dozen guitarists would fall out playing Hendrix instrumental of "Little Wing" and finish before they hit the ground. Only thing is, those were Hendrix' licks, not theirs, and Jimi's song, not theirs. Jimi's sound, not theirs. That's the diff.

SRV did far more than mimic Hendrix. I thought about including Danny Gatton instead - it was said that Danny could play anyone’s style competently, but that nobody could best him.

SRV did far more than mimic Hendrix. I thought about including Danny Gatton instead - it was said that Danny could play anyone’s style competently, but that nobody could best him.

I agree on SRV. I was just sayin'. Danny could get more sound out of a tele than most could out of a strat. As far as playing anyone's style, "anyone's style" arguably originated with Buddy Guy, anyway. Just ask Buddy.

Back
Top Bottom