• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman says her son couldn't afford his insulin – now he's dead

I'm guessing every post ever made on this forum wouldn't have all the characters in the regulations healthcare companies have to abide by.

The current insulin is also not the same insulin that used to be sold. The old animal derived insulin hasn't been sold in the US for decades and the regulations you would have to follow to start up are so burdensome you'd never consider it as a business model.

Once again, please let me know what law exists that prevents someone from founding, funding, and starting up a new pharma.

And since the Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and White House for 2 full years, why didn't they just roll back all of those regulations that have you worked up?

I know more about insulin than you do, so no need for the history lesson in how it's made, and what changes have been seen in the manufacturing of insulin. My husband has been taking insulin since the day he was born 55 years ago. My father took it every day of his life from 1969 until he died. I took it with all 3 of my pregnancies due to gestational diabetes.

We need to make a new law that companies are only allowed to sell life saving drugs for 5% profit. Anything over that is illegal. That should kick all these pharmaceutical tycoons right in the nutts.

Yeah, and just result in less new medications.

The solution is to repeal FDA regulations to make start up costs for competitors easier.

^
They do so love to dress blame-the-victim up in "responsibility" talk, but despite that responsibility talk, they don't want people to have to buy insurance coverage.

We need to switch to single-payer. But the core of modern conservatism is "**** everyone but me and my own", which translates into "I don't want to contribute to anything that benefits anyone else but me and my own" + "whatever happens to someone else is their fault"

It's that simple. :shrug:

He's not a victim. He did it to himself. Everyone isn't a victim. People need to be responsible for themselves. What the hell is wrong with liberals?

What's your solution to the problem or did you just create this thread to use a dead man to cudgel "right wing ideology"?
My standard reply is, "what does everyone else do?" Oh. The rest of the developed world has a system that covers everyone -- and I mean everyone. A friend of mine was visiting in Germany and needed hospitalization. When he asked for his bill they looked at him as if he had three eyes. They don't even charge foreigners.

You told an anecdote about your daughter. Unless she is a Type 1 diabetic, it's irrelevant. And unless you know what condition this man was in as a result of his diabetes, you don't know what he could have had or not had.

It's great to see the compassion for the dead man though. **** him. It isn't our problem.

This is the kind of crap that made me realize I am no longer a Republican. Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave at what the right has become under Trump.

No, I provided an example with my daughter that she has insurance through her school at no additional cost to her, suggesting that if this 26-year old was a full-time student, thus explaining why he had no job, he still had no excuse. Do try to keep up.

He's not a victim. He did it to himself. Everyone isn't a victim. People need to be responsible for themselves. What the hell is wrong with liberals?
Ah, thanks for the compassionate conservative reply. According to conservatives, if you can't afford medicine you did something wrong. It's your fault, you weren't born rich.

Ah, thanks for the compassionate conservative reply. According to conservatives, if you can't afford medicine you did something wrong. It's your fault, you weren't born rich.

This isn't about compassion, it's about reality. Liberals need to stop pretending that emotions are all there are. And in a case where you are 26 years old and have no job and are presumably healthy enough to do so, then you DID do something wrong! But no... feels over reals, right?

There is something called the lottery of luck. It is not a person's fault if they have a lot more medical issues than another person.

That being said, that person will have more likely a more difficult life and there is nothing that can be done about that, period.

Anyone can be hit by a bus and their quality of life decreases. That is called LIFE.

My standard reply is, "what does everyone else do?" Oh. The rest of the developed world has a system that covers everyone -- and I mean everyone. A friend of mine was visiting in Germany and needed hospitalization. When he asked for his bill they looked at him as if he had three eyes. They don't even charge foreigners.

Yeah, so what?

That system can only be imposed by taking away my healthcare that I am happy with and reducing my quality, so from the point of view of someone who never uses healthcare and in fact doesn't even pay taxes then it sounds like a great deal.

No, I provided an example with my daughter that she has insurance through her school at no additional cost to her, suggesting that if this 26-year old was a full-time student, thus explaining why he had no job, he still had no excuse. Do try to keep up.

Your daughter does not have Type 1 diabetes. She isn't relevant to this story. You need to try to keep up.

No but it doesn't matter if she did, she'd be covered, as would this guy had he had any insurance coverage at all. You're just trying to get around his own responsibility for his own health care.

^
They do so love to dress blame-the-victim up in "responsibility" talk, but despite that responsibility talk, they don't want people to have to buy insurance coverage.

We need to switch to single-payer. But the core of modern conservatism is "**** everyone but me and my own", which translates into "I don't want to contribute to anything that benefits anyone else but me and my own" + "whatever happens to someone else is their fault"

It's that simple. :shrug:

I didn't say "everyone is a victim." I did point out the hypocrisy in boasting about personal responsibility, then trying to force through a legislative scheme where people can choose to not cover themselves (aka, be not responsible), but still get the benefit of hospitals being legally required to treat them to stabilization even if they can't pay. I did mention the stupidity of this scheme elsewhere, and here, then need for conservatives to get over themselves and go along with a single-payer type system that the rest of the developed world uses.

This isn't a broken state like Somolia, that can't actually afford that and simply must go with a "**** everyone but me and my own" approach to...everything.

What the hell is wrong with [conservatives]?

What the hell? He did what to himself - got Type 1 diabetes?

Not everyone with that diseases can take care of himself. WTF is wrong with you?

Sounds like moving to Germany is a solution then.

Ah, thanks for the compassionate conservative reply. According to conservatives, if you can't afford medicine you did something wrong.
No, it merely means you cannot afford medicine. Now the vast majority of chronic medical conditions in this country are lifestlye related, so is it your contention you did NOTHING wrong if you are sick?
[/quote] It's your fault, you weren't born rich.[/QUOTE]Well how many children's medical bills have you paid out of charity? Have you gone and calculated what your share of new taxes for socialized medicine would be and paid that to a charity care program at a hospital?

Yeah, so what?

That system can only be imposed by taking away my healthcare that I am happy with and reducing my quality, so from the point of view of someone who never uses healthcare and in fact doesn't even pay taxes then it sounds like a great deal.

Actually, that's either a lie (because you bothered to educate yourself on this topic and are therefore intentionally making a false statement with the hope someone believes it as truth) or straight-up bull**** (which isn't any better).

We pay more for worse care than quite a lot of other countries, and all of those countries have some kind of basic level of single-payer healthcare available.

Your daughter does not have Type 1 diabetes. She isn't relevant to this story. You need to try to keep up.

Well guess what? I do have diabetes and my medications run well over $1500 a month without insurance. Good thing I've got some, huh? :roll:

Well guess what? I do have diabetes and my medications run well over $1500 a month without insurance. Good thing I've got some, huh? :roll:

I don't believe you. If that were true, you of all people would understand the story, and you wouldn't be babbling about your ****ing non-diabetic daughter.

I have to back out of this discussion. Trump and his supporters repulse me. I am so glad I don't identify as a Republican anymore. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Actually, that's either a lie (because you bothered to educate yourself on this topic and are therefore intentionally making a false statement with the hope someone believes it as truth) or straight-up bull**** (which isn't any better).

We pay more for worse care than quite a lot of other countries, and all of those countries have some kind of basic level of single-payer healthcare available.

Wait times for medical procedures, effectiveness of emergency room care, and long term survival rates for cancer are all above the rest of the developed world. The "we pay more for worse" is only true if you include the fact that many americans, even those with insurance, never see the doctor, many make bad lifestyle choices (which is your right and the government should not be involved in any way in), and the various public healthcare programs like Medicaid and IHS are just pissing away money for no results. The actual quality of the actual healthcare delivered is in fact better.

I don't believe you. If that were true, you of all people would understand the story, and you wouldn't be babbling about your ****ing non-diabetic daughter.

I have to back out of this discussion. Trump and his supporters repulse me. I am so glad I don't identify as a Republican anymore. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Geez, there is something severely wrong with you.

Not necessarily true. We do pay for more care, just probably not the right care. We spend more money on colonoscopies than any other country in the world because we perform more colonoscopies than everyone else.

We could pay less per capita if we just didn't use health care like a drive thru.

Wait times for medical procedures, effectiveness of emergency room care, and long term survival rates for cancer are all above the rest of the developed world. The "we pay more for worse" is only true if you include the fact that many americans, even those with insurance, never see the doctor, many make bad lifestyle choices (which is your right and the government should not be involved in any way in), and the various public healthcare programs like Medicaid and IHS are just pissing away money for no results. The actual quality of the actual healthcare delivered is in fact better.

Except the thing about the wait time claims is that they always prove to be rumor, or based on one lone case.

Sure, if you try to go in for an emergency visit when all you have is a cold, you probably won't manage it in most of the systems. But you also won't manage it here. And if you DO have a true emergency, just like here, you can get emergency treatment.

Bottom line is that we consistently place below so-called 'single-payer' systems on most metrics. And you know what? Single-payer only really colloquially refers to having a baseline level of care available for anyone regardless of income (how horrible, I know). It doesn't stop anyone from buying extra insurance or care if they want to throw good money away. It's a far better system, and I'm far more likely to listen to extensive analyses by people who know what they're talking about than some internet poster who repeats repeatedly-quashed rumor and anecdote.

It reminds me of the whole "welfare queen" crap. They scrounged around for one single case and pretended it was representative of the system, when it simply wasn't.

:shrug:

That's such a typically short-sighted and black and white response. You don't know this mans circumstances or what he was aware of or wasn't or if he had information of where to turn. Nor what "programs" if any were available to him in his area and based on his qualifying criteria.

Neither do you which leads one to wonder why you initially blasted America and the Right Wing...

I didn't say "everyone is a victim." I did point out the hypocrisy in boasting about personal responsibility, then trying to force through a legislative scheme where people can choose to not cover themselves (aka, be not responsible), but still get the benefit of hospitals being legally required to treat them to stabilization even if they can't pay. I did mention the stupidity of this scheme elsewhere, and here, then need for conservatives to get over themselves and go along with a single-payer type system that the rest of the developed world uses.

This isn't a broken state like Somolia, that can't actually afford that and simply must go with a "**** everyone but me and my own" approach to...everything.

What the hell is wrong with [conservatives]?

So you are suggesting that hospitals not be 'legally required to treat' people without insurance then? And why should we alter the health insurance program for 330 million americans simply because this guy couldnt get a job and pay for his own medicine? How was this guy eating? Did he have a car? A cell phone? A place to live? Somehow the guy was surviving but couldnt pay for life sustaining medication. Thats his problem. And if you want to make it yours, have at it. You oay for his meds. But you have no right or authority to demand that I do.

What the hell is wrong with liberals?

We need to make a new law that companies are only allowed to sell life saving drugs for 5% profit. Anything over that is illegal. That should kick all these pharmaceutical tycoons right in the nutts.

There would be fewer life saving drugs available.

Back
Top Bottom