• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman says her son couldn't afford his insulin – now he's dead

Can you please post a link from 2010 where it shows the government taking over the manufacturing of insulin?

:) Can you show a link to the post where I claimed that the government seized the physical means of production of the drug insulin?

It didn't, of course - you are trying to shift the goalposts, requesting a link to back a statement I never made. I stated that the government heavily expanded it's already-heavy-handed role in the medical industry. It reduces competition, drives up prices, and increases negative externalities which drive up prices even more. Complaining about how that Darn Ole Market isn't doing its job of driving down prices while improving quality in the U.S. healthcare industry is like complaining about how the dog you had spayed refuses to have puppies.

:) Can you show a link to the post where I claimed that the government seized the physical means of production of the drug insulin?

It didn't, of course - you are trying to shift the goalposts, requesting a link to back a statement I never made. I stated that the government heavily expanded it's already-heavy-handed role in the medical industry. It reduces competition, drives up prices, and increases negative externalities which drive up prices even more. Complaining about how that Darn Ole Market isn't doing its job of driving down prices while improving quality in the U.S. healthcare industry is like complaining about how the dog you had spayed refuses to have puppies.

This was your post. It was in response to my post about the tragedy of a man dying. It was also in response to my post about a man being on his parents' policy until he was 26.

The government has no control over the production of insulin (the costs that he couldn't afford).

Or the people who point out that having the federal government take over massive portions of the healthcare industry, and then blaming the market for the results, is like shooting a jogger in the gut, and then telling claiming that clearly exercise doesn't make someone healthier when he dies.

This was your post. It was in response to my post about the tragedy of a man dying. It was also in response to my post about a man being on his parents' policy until he was 26.

The government has no control over the production of insulin (the costs that he couldn't afford).

OTC, the government hardly needs to physically seize the means of production in order to have an impact on an industry. That, for example, is why Tariffs are such a bad idea, despite Trump not taking over automobile or steel production.

Is that all you got? Are out ammo? LOL! Talk about predictable repetitive shticks. You know your willfully blind hatred ridden far right act is getting pretty tiresome.

I didn't need more, as the message supplied was far more than enough.

Then again, if you are currently crying that I am somehow showing "blind hatred" when my post displayed no such emotion. It's obvious that you're currently nowhere near the level required to speak on this board. Seeing as grasping for straws is all you usually have at your disposal in the first place.

So I'm not sure if I should feel pity, or annoyance at your attempts at this point.

4 big problems here:

1. Government - they won't allow other medications from other countries, that are cheaper and as effective, to be available on the market. Prices go up as a result because so much of it used and shortages can happen.

2. Insurance Companies - they don't pay the drug companies and their pharmacists enough. Because it costs money to produce these medications, prices go up again. They have to stay in business in order to produce these medications (it takes time to make them and a lot of resources).

3. Drug Companies - despite the top 2, medication prices can still go down. Not all, but many companies do jack up prices because they see the amount of people buying them, and since they have no competition from outside the country, prices won't go down anytime soon.

4. People (this may be unpopular) - there's TOO much reliance on medications. If someone is on 20 or more meds (and I've seen people with those lists myself) they're expecting to be cured of whatever the ailment is. What they don't realize is most of those medications they're on are NOT needed. They just have to make some lifestyle changes. You have diabetes? Cut out the amount of sugar intake. Want to lose weight? Get on a healthy diet and workout routinely. Have bad joints? Swimming helps loosen up joints AND helps the rest of the body. How about high blood pressure? Cut some caffeine out of your day (which may require cutting back on coffee and pop/soda) and take foods that have plenty of vitamins instead. There are MANY ways you can avoid taking medications. I understand that there are some conditions that you have no choice where taking medication can help and maybe even take care of the problem entirely (but some people do things to themselves that's near impossible to reverse). However, most of the problems can be solved in making changes in how you go about your day to day life. Doctors will even confirm this (I work for one). I lost 70 pounds (coming all the way down from 330 pounds) and, wow, what a difference it makes when I cut out certain things and become far more physically active (I think I avoided a ton of medical problems). I'm still working out today and watching what I eat. I'm happy with the results, and keeps me from going through any mental problems as well. So I would say rely less on medications and rely more on a healthier lifestyle, and costs will come down because drug companies want your business. But if you keep relying on these meds, prices will NEVER go down the way you want them to.

So to say that it's capitalism's fault is folly, but some people abuse it. Right now, certain prescription companies are the way to go, but they're not full proof. Everything starts with us, though, and we have to wise up and elect the right people (and make healthier choices). And Leftists are the WRONG people to elect.

Back
Top Bottom