• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman says her son couldn't afford his insulin – now he's dead

I'm married to someone who was born with Juvenile Diabetes. It's Type 1. My husband was lucky. He was able to work through the terrible challenges that Type 1 diabetes brings, and ended up having a successful career as a hockey player. His cousin, also born with JV, is now 41 years old and has been in a wheelchair since he was 25 as he lost both of his legs to gangrene, since people with Type 1 diabetes are prone to terrible issues with circulation.

But hey, he should be out working like anyone else, right?

Unless you have expertise on the side effects of Type 1 diabetes, you can't diagnose someone's ability to work.

And why would you or anyone else care that someone who is 26 is on his parents' insurance policy anyway? They pay for him. Not us.

If he is not working then he should receive unemployment. There are other programs for low-income individuals.

The news story assumes he died because he couldn't afford insulin. I do not believe that is the entire story.

He didn't ask me. I buy it for my husband, who has been on insulin since the day he was born.

So what's your point? Everything costs money. Not everyone has money. Is your solution to just find someone else to pay for it?

We need to make a new law that companies are only allowed to sell life saving drugs for 5% profit. Anything over that is illegal. That should kick all these pharmaceutical tycoons right in the nutts.

I wish Congress would consider this. I am a capitalist by nature but I have my limits, and profiting off people's illnesses is one of them. A small profit - absolutely. A massive profit? No.

We need to make a new law that companies are only allowed to sell life saving drugs for 5% profit. Anything over that is illegal. That should kick all these pharmaceutical tycoons right in the nutts.

That is completely absurd. Companies should be able to charge market rate.

And if someone is totally and permanently disabled the 26 years old thing doesn't matter as they generally become eligible for medicaid.

Absolutely. Now I admit I didn't read the story so my response isn't aimed at this particular incident, but there are ALWAYS solutions and in this case, they didn't avail themselves of them. But the left doesn't want anyone to have to be responsible for their own lives, they want Papa Government to come along and provide cradle-to-grave care and that's not how this works. Even if we want to say this guy was a full time college student, colleges offer medical insurance as part of their tuition. Why wasn't he on that? My oldest daughter, who is still on our insurance, has a secondary policy through her college, completely free of charge. So the question we have to ask is why was this guy not insured? Why wasn't he working? Why wasn't he a productive member of society at 26 years of age? And that's something that the left doesn't even want to ask, it just gets in the way of their narrative.

What's your solution to the problem or did you just create this thread to use a dead man to cudgel "right wing ideology"?

Whatever the solution is. The end result needs to be easily and accessible access to necessary life saving drugs for every citizen regardless of income. Conservative sulution "Eh, not my circus, not my monkey, just be quiet when you die"

So what's your point? Everything costs money. Not everyone has money. Is your solution to just find someone else to pay for it?

You're the one who suggested that. You said he should have gone to someone else for help.

Yes, everything costs money. Profound statement there.

Better just to ignore the problem. Let people die. Right?

If he is not working then he should receive unemployment. There are other programs for low-income individuals.

The news story assumes he died because he couldn't afford insulin. I do not believe that is the entire story.

You have to have worked in your life to receive unemployment and then you only get it for a certain amount of time to tide you over to a new job. Someone who has never worked in their lives, and I have no idea if that's the case here, but they simply don't qualify, nor should they. So the question is, what's wrong with this guy that he doesn't have a decent job?

That's the thing. They don't have any realistic solutions, only buzzwords like Free health care, universal health care, etc..

This must be some of that quality, affordable healthcare for everyone thay we've heard so much about.

Absolutely. Now I admit I didn't read the story so my response isn't aimed at this particular incident, but there are ALWAYS solutions and in this case, they didn't avail themselves of them. But the left doesn't want anyone to have to be responsible for their own lives, they want Papa Government to come along and provide cradle-to-grave care and that's not how this works. Even if we want to say this guy was a full time college student, colleges offer medical insurance as part of their tuition. Why wasn't he on that? My oldest daughter, who is still on our insurance, has a secondary policy through her college, completely free of charge. So the question we have to ask is why was this guy not insured? Why wasn't he working? Why wasn't he a productive member of society at 26 years of age? And that's something that the left doesn't even want to ask, it just gets in the way of their narrative.

Does your oldest daughter have Type 1 diabetes? If not, then what does she have to do with this discussion.

You have to have worked in your life to receive unemployment and then you only get it for a certain amount of time to tide you over to a new job. Someone who has never worked in their lives, and I have no idea if that's the case here, but they simply don't qualify, nor should they. So the question is, what's wrong with this guy that he doesn't have a decent job?

It could be a case of disability where people do receive money from the government for that.

I do not know the entire story. I certainly am not going to bring politics in the situation as the original poster did.

That is completely absurd. Companies should be able to charge market rate.

I'm sure you'd be saying that if you or a loved one came down with a form of cancer only treatable with medications that there was no way that you could possibly afford too.

Whatever the solution is. The end result needs to be easily and accessible access to necessary life saving drugs for every citizen regardless of income. Conservative sulution "Eh, not my circus, not my monkey, just be quiet when you die"

Well unless you're old and have cancer, then the government will simply tell you to have the doctor kill you. Single payer systems refuse to pay on claims all the time.

Does your oldest daughter have Type 1 diabetes? If not, then what does she have to do with this discussion.

No but it doesn't matter if she did, she'd be covered, as would this guy had he had any insurance coverage at all. You're just trying to get around his own responsibility for his own health care.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mother-fights-for-lower-insulin-prices-after-sons-tragic-death/ Right-wing ideology. Survival of the fittest. "Can't afford necessary life saving medication? That's the way the mop flops, just die and be quiet about it and God bless Murica"

It is indeed the kind of thing that will result from the kind of policies they have been pushing. And since they know it, they can't very well say "well, we don't want this to happen (but we want to make the policy moves that will result in it happening)".

Not honestly, at least. And besides...they can always blame the victim.

There are numerous programs available to help people pay for their required daily medications. Its unfortunate when an individual doesn't seek help.

:roll:

It could be a case of disability where people do receive money from the government for that.

I do not know the entire story. I certainly am not going to bring politics in the situation as the original poster did.

I don't know it either which is why nothing I am saying should be construed to apply specifically to this case. I'm speaking in general terms. Why is this an issue and how should it have been handled in the first place? It's something the left doesn't want to discuss.

No but it doesn't matter if she did, she'd be covered, as would this guy had he had any insurance coverage at all. You're just trying to get around his own responsibility for his own health care.

^
They do so love to dress blame-the-victim up in "responsibility" talk, but despite that responsibility talk, they don't want people to have to buy insurance coverage.

We need to switch to single-payer. But the core of modern conservatism is "**** everyone but me and my own", which translates into "I don't want to contribute to anything that benefits anyone else but me and my own" + "whatever happens to someone else is their fault"

It's that simple. :shrug:

Translation = "Just die and be done with it"

You told an anecdote about your daughter. Unless she is a Type 1 diabetic, it's irrelevant. And unless you know what condition this man was in as a result of his diabetes, you don't know what he could have had or not had.

It's great to see the compassion for the dead man though. **** him. It isn't our problem.

This is the kind of crap that made me realize I am no longer a Republican. Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave at what the right has become under Trump.

Please let me know what law prevents a new pharma from being created.

I'm guessing every post ever made on this forum wouldn't have all the characters in the regulations healthcare companies have to abide by.

The current insulin is also not the same insulin that used to be sold. The old animal derived insulin hasn't been sold in the US for decades and the regulations you would have to follow to start up are so burdensome you'd never consider it as a business model.

You told an anecdote about your daughter. Unless she is a Type 1 diabetic, it's irrelevant. And unless you know what condition this man was in as a result of his diabetes, you don't know what he could have had or not had.

It's great to see the compassion for the dead man though. **** him. It isn't our problem.

This is the kind of crap that made me realize I am no longer a Republican. Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave at what the right has become under Trump.

Democrats do not have a solution on health care just fyi unless you believe in a 60-80% tax rate.

Back
Top Bottom