• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is this an issue?

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Daniel Kagan, state senator from Arapahoe County embroiled in restroom controversy, resigning

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/05/daniel-kagan-colorado-state-senator-resigning-restroom-controversy/

State Sen. Daniel Kagan, who earlier this year was found to have “more likely than not” used a private, women-only restroom, is resigning, the spokesman for Senate Democrats said Wednesday.

The resignation, effective Jan. 11, had been rumored for weeks after the Nov. 6 election, in which Democrats retook the Senate majority, with a 19-16 edge come January. The Cherry Hills Village Democrat’s statement did not refer to the allegations he faced during the 2018 session.

His accuser says she wanted an apology, not a resignation...and she still wants her apology. OK, that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that:

1. The guy is accused of using an unlabeled restroom which, I presume by some kind of informal agreement, was designated "women only"

2. We're in a new era of gender ambivalence, why should this restroom be gender specific?

3. Isn't the accuser making an unwarranted determination of the guy's gender? I mean, who is she to decided whether he's male or female?

4. Why isn't incumbent upon the accuser to accept the possibility that the guy might be gender fluid and has a fundamental human right to use the restroom of his choice?

OK, seriously, who among us hasn't lived or worked in a place where the nearest restroom is inconveniently located? We all need to use the can at some point so why not just hang an "occupied" sign on the door or, even easier, just lock the damned door when you go in? It's ridiculous that something like this is an issue anywhere and downright pathetic that it's an issue with some state legislature

This is "an issue" because someone decided that it was one. IMHO, restrooms should be labeled "us" and "them" allowing the user to decide which is most appropriate.

OK, seriously, who among us hasn't lived or worked in a place where the nearest restroom is inconveniently located? We all need to use the can at some point so why not just hang an "occupied" sign on the door or, even easier, just lock the damned door when you go in? It's ridiculous that something like this is an issue anywhere and downright pathetic that it's an issue with some state legislature

No idea how this could end up as resignation. Maybe there is more to the story, and he's trying to save face by saying it was an accident that happened once?
Maybe everyone knows he's squirrely and this was just the tipping point?

I don't know, but if I went in the wrong restroom once, which has happened to be on occasion, and I lost my job, I would be pretty pissed.
I notice right away, I mean, it's usually cleaner, has a feeling of "this doesn't seem right", some strange dispenser...AAHHH, run away!

All of the women's areas have stalls with doors, no one sees anything, I don't even see how its anything other than embarrassing.
If he does it all the time, they just have to video him doing it twice, and he's done for.

Daniel Kagan, state senator from Arapahoe County embroiled in restroom controversy, resigning

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/05/daniel-kagan-colorado-state-senator-resigning-restroom-controversy/

His accuser says she wanted an apology, not a resignation...and she still wants her apology. OK, that makes sense.

1. The guy is accused of using an unlabeled restroom which, I presume by some kind of informal agreement, was designated "women only"

2. We're in a new era of gender ambivalence, why should this restroom be gender specific?

3. Isn't the accuser making an unwarranted determination of the guy's gender? I mean, who is she to decided whether he's male or female?

4. Why isn't incumbent upon the accuser to accept the possibility that the guy might be gender fluid and has a fundamental human right to use the restroom of his choice?

I'm assuming there's more to this.

Only politics.

Our elected representatives apparently have nothing better to do.

Why isn't incumbent upon the accuser to accept the possibility that the guy might be gender fluid and has a fundamental human right to use the restroom of his choice?
Because he himself identifies as male.

OK, seriously, who among us hasn't lived or worked in a place where the nearest restroom is inconveniently located? We all need to use the can at some point
So you're telling me this guy is so bad at knowing when he has to go that on more than one occasion he had to use the women's room that was closer? Sounds like a reason he should resign to me.

so why not just hang an "occupied" sign on the door or, even easier, just lock the damned door when you go in?
Is it the type of bathroom that only one person should enter at a time? Didn't see that in the article?

I'm assuming there's more to this.

I sure hope so.

It pains me to defend a Democrat from the kind of thing that they, themselves, have been promoting but this, on its face, seems way more stupid than it needs to be.

Its an issue because of Republicans.

"Sen. Beth Martinez Humenik, R-Thornton, and other state Senate Republicans accused
Kagan of repeatedly using a women’s bathroom reserved for lawmakers and staff just outside of the Senate chambers during the 2017 legislative session. That was Kagan’s first year in the Senate after serving in the House.

Kagan said he used the restroom only once, calling it an embarrassing mistake made while he was feeling unwell. He also said he was unfamiliar with which restroom was the men’s and women’s because they are unmarked." https://coloradosun.com/2018/12/05/daniel-kagan-steps-down-colorado-senator/

But his resignation made no mention of restrooms and it is only speculation that he resigned because of the accusations. ANd as far as I know it is not illegal to use a restroom that does not match your sex. This is nothing but dirty politics.

The new 'normal' in politics these days is to make an issue about everything, be offended by everything, make the most trivial incident, comment, body language, or whatever a matter of utmost importance and major significance. It is the manifestation of Orwellian thought, speech, behavior control with the ultimate goal of mind control.

And it is becoming just as ridiculous as the OP suggests. The only thing that makes the OP illustration unusual is that the technique is applied to a Democrat.

And at sporting events many women use the men's restrooms. They guys just look the other way and the girls go in the stalls.
There are ways to make this work rather than trying to outlaw gender. In California she has no case. And Colorado is getting filthy with rich liberal Californians tell the Coloradans how it's gonna be.

A funny oddity is many nudist camps have separate male and female restrooms. It seems odd but maybe it is due to the fact that men have no problem letting loose of gas while in the restroom.

Back
Top Bottom