• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are orientation changes/conversions only 1-way?

I'm not making any pro- or anti-gay point, but why does it seem that orientation conversions are only 1-way, ie straight to gay? A person may have been married with children and a dozen opposite gender partners, and then decide/announce/realize they are gay. But I never hear of it going the other way. A gay person decides/realizes/announces they are hetero.

Do you think that is ALWAYS because they were in self denial/self realization?

Just a discussion topic, I'm not trying to make any point of it.

Personally I think it is because of a false dichotomy in the popular beliefs about sexuality. I do not believe there is any such thing as an immutable inborn orientation, though I do believe in tendencies and habits. We are all capable of, um let's say "variant" sexual behavior... what sort and how far just depends on the person, their inclinations and experiences.

I know lots of chicks who "turn lesbo" after a guy cheats on her or gets raped. Then they turn normal after a year or two.

This also describes 25-30% of college girls.

As far as men...probably not as much.

You know better than that.

No matter how strong your will power is, you cannot "will" homosexuality into a state of naturalness.

You're trying to create a fantasy world...

Except I've already proven it's natural when debating you. You're the one who lives in the fantasy world when you believe that it isn't.

There's no sacred religious text saying heterosexuality is a sin that should be converted to homosexuality. Some prominent religious texts present homosexuality as a sin requiring repentance.

It is intuitively obvious that homosexuality is an aberration and homosexuals testify to the exacerbated existential angst-misery endemic to homosexuality (which has nothing to do with the opinions of heterosexuals regarding homosexuality). Such is not the case with heterosexuality, a normal and healthy occurrence.

Bisexuality is merely the observed symptom of mild to moderate cases of homosexuality. Severe cases of homosexuality are exemplified by no desire-based attraction-partnering to the opposite sex at all, about 1.5 - 2.0 percent of the population.

Many people don't know that homosexuality is inculcated during gestation and possesses a birth-defect etiology, instead erroneously thinking that it's a conscious choice and/or something that can be "overcome" psychologically. The vast majority of people recognize the reality that heterosexuality is a normal healthy occurrence, not a defect or other suffering-causing anomaly.

These are the four main reasons there are people recommending-attempting to convert from homosexuality to heterosexuality and why vice versa isn't an issue.

Moderator's Warning:
Do NOT derail this thread with your "theory".

The gays do it more insidiously! By showing hot man on man action on our TVs and Godless internet, they are training our young men to love teh **** in ever increasing numbers!!!!11oneone (nobody is really concerned about the threat of lesbians, because they are kinda hot, unless they are ugly, and for some reason a large number of men think hot (not the ugly ones that look like men) lesbians will willingly have sex with them????)

Our small levels of conversion therapy only serve a small amount of the need that evil mass media has created in this country and it going further and further away from the morals of our (insert some idealized earlier age that never really happened, could be 1700s, 1940s, etc)!!!

Have you seen the Starz series Spartacus? Talk about sinful! ;)

A great point. Everyday someone figures it out. And it’s so simple. Men were never designed for homosexual behavior. But for some reason, certain parties want homosexuality to exist.

And if there are conversions the other way around, they must never see the light of day…

Is that post a joke that I'm not getting?

Personally I think it is because of a false dichotomy in the popular beliefs about sexuality. I do not believe there is any such thing as an immutable inborn orientation, though I do believe in tendencies and habits. We are all capable of, um let's say "variant" sexual behavior... what sort and how far just depends on the person, their inclinations and experiences.

Is there a particular reason or strong piece of evidence that speaks to you on the subject of inborn orientation?

All those Greek warrior shows and movies are so violent. Glad they cleaned it up.

Brush your teeth!

That was sacrilegious. Seriously, did you see that mans abs..

Sorry, I wasn't watching another man's abs. If I was, I probably would've made a great Greek warrior.

Yeah, one does get the impression that they put that thing in anything they could to stand still doesn't one.

Yeah, one does get the impression that they put that thing in anything they could to stand still doesn't one.

I think many of them just admired the male physique. In those cultures, men were the standard-bearers for beauty, not women.

Man, were they ever wrong in that aspect. Muscular pecs or a nice set of tits? Not even close for me.

You know better than that.

No matter how strong your will power is, you cannot "will" homosexuality into a state of naturalness.

You're trying to create a fantasy world...

So gay people are supernatural? There are things that are natural, meaning things that exist in nature and things that are supernatural, things that defy nature. So if it isn't natural either you don't understand what nature is or gay people are supernatural.

I am going to go with you not understanding nature personally, I don't believe in vampires and werewolves, this must simply mean you are at a loss to what the meaning of nature is.

I think though that it is funny you think gay people are like the X-men or vampires or whatever you are thinking.

I think many of them just admired the male physique. In those cultures, men were the standard-bearers for beauty, not women.
Man, were they ever wrong in that aspect. Muscular pecs or a nice set of tits? Not even close for me.

I would have made a great Greek Warrior.

That's fine, but Greek warriors always went around topless.
If you ever want to take that up, let me know.

The Pink Flamingo, Fridays 9pm. Like I said, I'm in great shape for my age.

A little visual proof never hurt anyone. :D

That's a little more tumbleresque than DP. We're gonna kicked down to the Dungeon or the Sewer or for this......aren't we?

Is there a particular reason or strong piece of evidence that speaks to you on the subject of inborn orientation?

I've read some papers by psychologists who specialize in helping adolescents cope with sexuality issues, particularly sexual orientation issues. There's a lot of variation in how much weight they give things like pre-natal hormonal exposure, early gender identification, early childhood environment, early adolescent experiences, and so on... but no real consensus. IMHO one of the more interesting and credible shrinks that wrote on the question of how "orientation" is formed expressed the belief that it was different for every individual and that various influences had different weights for different people.

Primarily though, I go by life experience and being an observer of human nature for nearly five decades.

The range of human sexual behavior is extremely variable and complex, from what I've seen. You have the example of men in prison (or other situations where there is no sexual access to women) who turn to homosexual behaviors in that circumstance. Many of these men revert to hetero behaviors when females become available (post-release) but some do not.

I've spoken with a number of persons who self-identify as homosexual, who admit nonetheless to occasional sexual encounters with the opposite sex.

You have cross-dressers who are hetero, transgenders who are homosexual, bisexuals, fetishists, and all manner of variations in between. You have people who are solidly het to all appearances who engage in role-reversal sex with the opposite gender.

In short, I believe human sexuality is too complex and variable to simply be explained by the "orientation" theory... especially where the theory assumes orientation is fixed at birth and unchangeable.

Now I WILL grant that habituation can cause a person to favor one version of sex over all others, even to the point where they may become incapable or highly unwilling to have any other kind of sex... this is where something that LOOKS like "orientation" occurs... but they didn't necessarily get there overnight or in a total absence of environmental influences.

The only measure we have of orientation is by observing behavior... but for many humans, sexual behavior can vary a great deal over a long period of time.

I'm just saying I think it is more complicated than the popular hypothesis of orientation can explain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom