• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why All Teachers Should not be Armed

Always a slam on Chicago! We do have 102 counties. There is marked improvement under union-bashing Rahm. And Red states with big city problems are immune from criticism with your illogic.

Chicago is a cesspool, and ought to be flushed.

along with every other place in this Country that has problems, by your illogic
Chicago is a cesspool, and ought to be flushed.

Last edited:
along with every other place in this Country that has problewms, by your illogic

No, especially since Rahm is there, but before too.

A majority of conservatives are not normal like you because of their hatred for teacher unions. It is always a smart-ass comment from these people. Yet we and my retired brethren look at them with horror.
What strikes me about this debate is the attitude toward teachers. Quite frankly, if a teacher is not responsible enough to carry a gun in school.. they really are not responsible enough to be teaching my kids.

Think about it... you have all the "what if" situations with "what if:
the teacher leaves the gun were a kid can get it
The students steal the gun
The teacher gives the gun to a "responsible" student

Well, if a teacher is that irresponsible.. then what if that teacher:

Gives sharp scissors to the kids?
Has the keys to her car stolen and the kids go joy riding?
Leaves her lighter around and a kid sets the school on fire?
Leaves the cleaning chemicals out and the kids ingest some?
Gives the keys to her car to a "responsible" student?
And a myriad of other things that a teacher could be irresponsible with and could lead to a disaster?

Why is it that we naturally believe teachers to be responsible with our children in so many thousands of ways.. but suddenly be irresponsible when it comes to a firearm? .

Rahm is fixing the place. Pay attention. He has been breaking the public unions. cooch. Rahm left Obama because Rahm was too conservative, though he hasn't learned on CC yet. It is a major hurdle for a Dem to clear.
No, especially since Rahm is there, but before too.

A majority of conservatives are not normal like you because of their hatred for teacher unions. It is always a smart-ass comment from these people. Yet we and my retired brethren look at them with horror.

While you and I may differ on the subject of unions, I agree fully with Jaeger and cannot comprehend why in the world someone would question the capabilities of teachers to responsibly defend their students in the event of an active shooter situation.

Just to point out.. those folks are not conservatives.. the "conservative" moniker has been corrupted by a few whacadoos in our party.

A true conservative.. doesn't care how an employee chooses to negotiate with his/her employer. Whether individually or as a collective. And certainly.. does not want that government to get so involved between negotiations between employers and employees.

The only caveat is that there should be laws to make sure that unions actually represent their members.

Just to point out.. those folks are not conservatives.. the "conservative" moniker has been corrupted by a few whacadoos in our party.

A true conservative.. doesn't care how an employee chooses to negotiate with his/her employer. Whether individually or as a collective. And certainly.. does not want that government to get so involved between negotiations between employers and employees.

The only caveat is that there should be laws to make sure that unions actually represent their members.

+1
Polite golf clap....

I actually do not think there should be laws to ensure they actually represent their members. If they do not represent their members, members should feel free to leave said union and not feel threatened with violence or otherwise antagonized. After all, if a union is actually providing a tangible benefit, then workers would see the benefit and remain.

But they call themselves conservatives like Cruz, Lee and Paul. And the TRUE conservatives in your party refuse to walk back any of the whacadoos in your party. S. King spoke the mantra and was sacrificed. Many are now saying, "I'm a Republican, but ...".

Unions have been their own best friends and worst enemies. The infiltration from the MOB, both party's problem, cannot be denied. The non-union shops in Illinois paying better wages and benefits than union shops do so because they are surrounded by union shops.

Last edited:
Whether it is teachers or secretaries or custodians or administrators or security, I strongly believe it is a school's decision to conceal-carry. It should be top secret. This is Home Rule. I don't want to know what is happening at the High School I retired at. And I don't want perps knowing.
While you and I may differ on the subject of unions, I agree fully with Jaeger and cannot comprehend why in the world someone would question the capabilities of teachers to responsibly defend their students in the event of an active shooter situation.

Well. I agree. Not all teachers should be armed. Not everyone can carry a gun. I spent time in education class with future teachers. I have teachers in my family. I wouldn't trust a lot of them with dull scissors, let alone a loaded gun. But of course...not all people can be trusted with a loaded gun. Im pro licensed concealed carry.

All teachers should not be armed due to securing the gun.
A valid concern for every gun owner, not just teachers.

If all teachers have a gun how will the gun be secured?
Just like anyone else carrying a gun. I personally proffer to keep the gun on me. Others like to use micro-vaults.

Will it be on the teacher or locked in their desk.
Here in SD our armed teachers are required to keep the gun on their person or in their car.

Either way there is a chance of theft or misplacement.
Significantly less than, say, car keys, since the gun stays in it's holster much like a fire extinguisher stays in it's box until needed.

Let's say a school has 100 teachers and they all carry a gun. If one goes missing or is stolen now the school must go into lock down in order to find the gun. Most teacher will tell you they have had something stolen from a locked compartment at school.
Here in SD our armed teachers are required to keep their gun on their person or in their car, not in a "locked compartment" somewhere in the school.

I do believe a gun should be assessable at schools. The details are to long for this post. But in a nutshell, keeping the gun or guns in a secure lock box at different locations around the school with properly trained personnel to use them.
Well, anyone can be trained to properly use a gun. It's not rocket science, in fact it's very easy. Here in SD we require our armed teachers to keep their gun on their person or in their car so that the teacher always maintains positive control of that gun at all times. We see storing a gun in a lock box as a very, extremely bad idea and made doing so illegal.

A valid concern for every gun owner, not just teachers.

Just like anyone else carrying a gun. I personally proffer to keep the gun on me. Others like to use micro-vaults.

Here in SD our armed teachers are required to keep the gun on their person or in their car.

Significantly less than, say, car keys, since the gun stays in it's holster much like a fire extinguisher stays in it's box until needed.

Here in SD our armed teachers are required to keep their gun on their person or in their car, not in a "locked compartment" somewhere in the school.

Well, anyone can be trained to properly use a gun. It's not rocket science, in fact it's very easy. Here in SD we require our armed teachers to keep their gun on their person or in their car so that the teacher always maintains positive control of that gun at all times. We see storing a gun in a lock box as a very, extremely bad idea and made doing so illegal.
Let's have everyone carry a gun, man, woman, and child, and aim them at each other at all times. Just think of how safe we'll be? Problem solved.

I agree. But there is an extensive cost to having security. But if parents are willing to fit the bill, it would be better.

There have been some school districts that have allowed their teachers to be armed.
South Dakota's Sentinel Program is all volunteer. Participants must be school employees (not necessarily teachers) and complete the same firearms program our local police certify in. "Sentinels" pay all the fees for their training, and do not receive more pay for being armed.

There is no bill to pass on to taxpayers or parents.

Last edited:
Let's have everyone carry a gun, man, woman, and child, and aim them at each other at all times. Just think of how safe we'll be? Problem solved.
If that's your opinion.

I disagree. I think you should be able to carry if you want, if you can already carry elsewhere. Obviously the law disallows children, teens, and even adults under 21 to carry a concealed handgun, so you will need to change those laws before having your way. Good luck.

If that's your opinion.

I disagree. I think you should be able to carry if you want, if you can already carry elsewhere. Obviously the law disallows children, teens, and even adults under 21 to carry a concealed handgun, so you will need to change those laws before having your way. Good luck.
Just taking your logic to its logical conclusion. If guns indeed make us safer then everyone should have one. Unless of course, some shouldn't? That would be gun control then eh?

Just taking your logic to its logical conclusion. If guns indeed make us safer then everyone should have one. Unless of course, some shouldn't? That would be gun control then eh?
Yup, it sure would be. I'm not sure what that has to do with schools or teachers in particular, though.

Yup, it sure would be. I'm not sure what that has to do with schools or teachers in particular, though.
It has to do with we don't want everyone to have guns now do we?

Military and police force have an armory, why not a school. Most schools that I know have locked doors. This will buy some time to reach the "armory". In fact identifying a suspicious person should give alarm and the armory accessed.
In an emergency the gun needs to be readily accessible in an instant.

It has to do with we don't want everyone to have guns now do we?
The mentally ill, children, people with a history of violence....I don't believe I ever said everyone should have a gun.

The mentally ill, children, people with a history of violence....I don't believe I ever said everyone should have a gun.
You don't have to, and I'm sure you didn't. Everyone, including you, wants some form of Gun Control.

You don't have to, and I'm sure you didn't. Everyone, including you, wants some form of Gun Control.
Yup.

So...did you have a point in this thread? Something to say regarding schools and teachers?

Back
Top Bottom