• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why All Teachers Should not be Armed

We don't have those in IL. It comes with the degree. We treasure what we measure, math and english, with science on the way. IL is not one of those Red states to duck out on NCLB standards. We see this each year when kids from the old Confederacy transfer to Northern schools.
We could fire the Multicultural Ed teacher, and put security guard in its place.

We are all worried. But correct training either to security or teachers can help prevent another Sandy Hook, Columbine and don't forget the others like Poducah, KY.

I think that bullets should cost more, that would reduce gun crime.

It isn't stated that teachers are not to let students use the teacher computer, but it happens. I am just worried that something terrible might happen.
Something bad already happened. Now we are discussing how to help teachers defend themselves and their students effectively. There are already schools which have armed teachers or security personnel.

If you have to bring up everything illegals and non-union when discussing a serious issue, ...... Did you know that all school personnel are finger-printed against the FBI data-base and that they are confirmed citizens. OOPs, here comes the phony voters ID.
Dude...you were the one that emphasized the fact that everyone BOE hires is legal. I simply pointed out that nobody in this thread stated otherwise and questioned if you had the right thread....

If you have to bring up everything illegals and non-union when discussing a serious issue, ...... Did you know that all school personnel are finger-printed against the FBI data-base and that they are confirmed citizens. OOPs, here comes the phony voters ID.

????!!!!??? Weirdness....earth to NIMBY.....you were the one that brought the legal vs illegal weirdness into the discussion. I will happily admit I seemed to have fired you up with a weak jab at unions....regardless....yes....I do know that. Have had to undergo much stricter checks. I had to get permission to marry my wife and then only after she had a background check done....

Your point is actually on topic as far as that goes. If you cannot trust teachers to provide protection in an emergency, then who can you trust?

This thread continues to unravel from safeguarding kids to kicking schools when one thinks they are down.

And I know you're an expert on the subject of a school's budget.

I appreciate your honest insight.

My son's Principal shares your opinion, but she is subject to state law and cannot partake.

Thank you!

FWIW, I would have no problem with paid training and some type of compensation - it would still be cheaper than cops.

Something bad already happened. Now we are discussing how to help teachers defend themselves and their students effectively. There are already schools which have armed teachers or security personnel.

What bad already happened? Teachers know self defence techniques.

All teachers should not be armed due to securing the gun. If all teachers have a gun how will the gun be secured? Will it be on the teacher or locked in their desk. Either way there is a chance of theft or misplacement.

Let's say a school has 100 teachers and they all carry a gun. If one goes missing or is stolen now the school must go into lock down in order to find the gun. Most teacher will tell you they have had something stolen from a locked compartment at school.

I do believe a gun should be assessable at schools. The details are to long for this post. But in a nutshell, keeping the gun or guns in a secure lock box at different locations around the school with properly trained personnel to use them.

You'll lose a lot of good teachers too if you try to force them to all be armed. Some people simply dislike guns and will never be comfortable with them. That will probably never change.

I also don't think that the average CCW holder is well-trained enough to handle a situation with an armed intruder surrounded by dozens of innocent kids well.

If we want armed security in schools (which isn't necessarily a bad idea) the best way to handle it is to either A, hire armed security guards, or B, have a volunteer group of teachers/staff who train in their free time to handle an armed intruder and are either armed while at the school, or have rapid access to an arms locker.

We don't have those in IL. It comes with the degree. We treasure what we measure, math and english, with science on the way. IL is not one of those Red states to duck out on NCLB standards. We see this each year when kids from the old Confederacy transfer to Northern schools.

If you're so clever, maybe you can fix Chicago.

Thousands of schools across the country have armed security or police officers on campus.
Some major colleges have PDs on campus.

The overriding question revolves around CC, since perps won't attack OC.

Last edited:
If you're so clever, maybe you can fix Chicago.

Always a slam on Chicago! We do have 102 counties. There is marked improvement under union-bashing Rahm. And Red states with big city problems are immune from criticism with your illogic.

Why slam on southern schools and pupils?

All teachers should not be armed due to securing the gun. If all teachers have a gun how will the gun be secured? Will it be on the teacher or locked in their desk. Either way there is a chance of theft or misplacement.

Let's say a school has 100 teachers and they all carry a gun. If one goes missing or is stolen now the school must go into lock down in order to find the gun. Most teacher will tell you they have had something stolen from a locked compartment at school.

I do believe a gun should be assessable at schools. The details are to long for this post. But in a nutshell, keeping the gun or guns in a secure lock box at different locations around the school with properly trained personnel to use them.

I agree not all teachers should be armed. Only those who are comfortable with conceal carry and already do so outside the school. The policy about who carries and who doesn't, should be "don't ask don't tell."

What is this about locking weapons up? They need to be immediately accessible. that's one primary purpose of conceal carry.

Why slam on southern schools and pupils?

That's rich, with all the slamming and such. Ever get a Southern student half way through the year. Me, plenty. Nice kids. Their parents ran from bad schools and I spent incredible time out-of-class catching them up. Why are these states skipping out on standardized tests and the rest?

That's rich, with all the slamming and such. Ever get a Southern student half way through the year. Me, plenty. Nice kids. Their parents ran from bad schools and I spent incredible time out-of-class catching them up. Why are these states skipping out on standardized tests and the rest?

Because we dont care how you do it up north. SEC Nation baby.

I don't think teachers should be armed for many reasons, including the impossibility of security the firearm from being taken by force.

Rather, at least larger schools could have a counselor for trouble kids who also is firearms certified and possibly even a law enforcement officer. He/she not only would be armed security, but would handle student behavior issues, other counselor issues, and security in general. Being armed and trained would only be one aspect of the position.
I see.

Conceal carry, do you know who they are? How hard it is, unless you are a trained professional to disarm some?

Gun free zones are an invitation to criminals. If you only have visible security guards... please... easy targets.

I agree not all teachers should be armed. Only those who are comfortable with conceal carry and already do so outside the school. The policy about who carries and who doesn't, should be "don't ask don't tell."

What is this about locking weapons up? They need to be immediately accessible. that's one primary purpose of conceal carry.

Military and police force have an armory, why not a school. Most schools that I know have locked doors. This will buy some time to reach the "armory". In fact identifying a suspicious person should give alarm and the armory accessed.

I am a retired elementary school teacher, and I barely trusted most of them to teach children, let alone think about carrying a gun.

Goodness sakes. What are people thinking. Now that I live overseas, the more I see and hear of the US, I think people are stuck in a re-run of Twin Peaks.

But then we'll hear a blanket condemnation of the Nation's kids out of the other side of the GOP/TEA mouth, with your successess bringing the Nation down. SECession--and why doesn't the TIDE play, FL-SC-GA againn.
Because we dont care how you do it up north. SEC Nation baby.

It disturbs me that I agree with this position. Since BOEs have Home Rule and secrecy, I am at ease. I worked with/for these people for over 3 decades and I trust them.
I see.

Conceal carry, do you know who they are? How hard it is, unless you are a trained professional to disarm some?

Gun free zones are an invitation to criminals. If you only have visible security guards... please... easy targets.

What strikes me about this debate is the attitude toward teachers. Quite frankly, if a teacher is not responsible enough to carry a gun in school.. they really are not responsible enough to be teaching my kids.

Think about it... you have all the "what if" situations with "what if:
the teacher leaves the gun were a kid can get it
The students steal the gun
The teacher gives the gun to a "responsible" student

Well, if a teacher is that irresponsible.. then what if that teacher:

Gives sharp scissors to the kids?
Has the keys to her car stolen and the kids go joy riding?
Leaves her lighter around and a kid sets the school on fire?
Leaves the cleaning chemicals out and the kids ingest some?
Gives the keys to her car to a "responsible" student?
And a myriad of other things that a teacher could be irresponsible with and could lead to a disaster?

Why is it that we naturally believe teachers to be responsible with our children in so many thousands of ways.. but suddenly be irresponsible when it comes to a firearm? .

Back
Top Bottom