• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why all news channels are just opinion channels

enderpotato00

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc. aren’t really about news anymore, its more opinion-pieces. Your thoughts?

Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc. aren’t really about news anymore, its more opinion-pieces. Your thoughts?

The same as yours, but ratings are OK as is advertising revenue so what's not to like?

You can’t have tunnel vision when trying to find out what is up, imo.

I disagree strongly. Thank God there are reporters and a free press and thank God we have a choice as to whom or what to see or listen to. We're grown-ups with minds of our own, I think we're all capable of dissecting information, throwing out the bad, keeping the legitimate and making mature decisions.

To a certain extent, you're right.
The thing that I am noticing is the gradual blurring of pundit shows with analysis and the blurring of analysis with hard news reporting.
For an example of where you can notice these three clearly separated, check out a channel called NEWSY.
Newsy is a relatively new service but they somewhat resemble the old news format. Hard news is clearly separate from analysis and analysis is separated from opinion/punditry. You are always aware of what you're watching...they don't...

220px-Black_Flag_-_Slip_It_In_cover.jpg

(slip it in)

Modern cable news channels have to do whatever it takes to keep viewers glued, the longer the better.
There is an actual "science" to designing a news show layout in a way that holds a viewer longer and keeps them "glued".

It is not unlike "bar science", which is related to restaurant science, the science of hospitality and food/beverage service melded together.
Keeping bar patrons in the bar longer, drinking and eating more is a lot like keeping eyes and ears fixated on a news channel.

But on the other hand, Fox does have hard news segments, and so do the other channels.
And they're pretty good.
Whether or not you LIKE the rest (the analysis, pundo, etc) is a matter of personal tastes and...your politics.
And there's money in that, too.

I disagree strongly. Thank God there are reporters and a free press and thank God we have a choice as to whom or what to see or listen to. We're grown-ups with minds of our own, I think we're all capable of dissecting information, throwing out the bad, keeping the legitimate and making mature decisions.

But most don’t really report on news. They take the news and spin it into their own opinions.

You can get your news through twitter like they do :2razz:

But most don’t really report on news. They take the news and spin it into their own opinions.

I disagree. Listen to what they're saying and fact check it if you are doubtful. That's very easy to do.

I disagree. Listen to what they're saying and fact check it if you are doubtful. That's very easy to do.

No, b/c a lot of the internet spreads misinformation. I don’t know who to trust, as its usually liberal or conservative.

For most of the live day, they are news. Mornings from 6-8 CST and evenings from 6-11 CST are opinion. What else do you expect 24 hr cable stations to do?

For most of the live day, they are news. Mornings from 6-8 CST and evenings from 6-11 CST are opinion. What else do you expect 24 hr cable stations to do?

Stop 24 hour cable stations and go back to morning or night news only

So does social media, so what's your point? The thing is, they actually do some of both (reporting and spinning).

:spin:

And by the way, why not admit that these days, the meaning of the word "SPIN" is actually closer to "anything that goes against the tribal dogma" ?

So does social media, so what's your point? The thing is, they actually do some of both (reporting and spinning).

:spin:

And by the way, why not admit that these days, the meaning of the word "SPIN" is actually closer to "anything that goes against the tribal dogma" ?

I don’t look at social media for news anyways. And yes, “Spinning” does mean that.

To varying degrees. Degrees matter. 79 I'm comfy. 150 I'm dead, you know? Degree matters. New campaign slogan. Kind of like facts matter?

It's best to use decent outlets, and then if you really want to know, find their sources if possible. Right now there is plenty to read on the whistleblower, for example... a number of source documents.
In every case I have read the full documents, like in the Mueller indictment, it was so much worse than *any mainstream media outlet* that it saddens me more people don't have the time or will to read important things about their government.

Most were never very good anyway. The needed wars, tragedies, riots, men biting dogs, then along came Trump to throw them a lifeline. I don’t believe they want the democrats to win, because Trump and anti-Trump sells. And at the end of the day, you are supported by your advertisers who pay you based on the size of your audience. When viewer totals shrink, so do you!

Some of the foreign press can help. They have less of a dog in the American fight. The UK Telegraph comes to mind.

No, I’m just saying. I can think critically. I just don’t where to start.

The tricky part is that most media bias, by far, is accomplished via simple omission - as the NYT puts it "All the news that's fit to print". It is extremely hard to "fact check" that which happened, yet which was never brought to your attention as news. The best that one can do is to sample as many potential news sources as possible and then seek to find out more on those (carefully selected) topics of interest to you.

The tricky part is that most media bias, by far, is accomplished via simple omission - as the NYT puts it "All the news that's fit to print". It is extremely hard to "fact check" that which happened, yet which was never brought to your attention as news. The best that one can do is to sample as many potential news sources as possible and then seek to find out more on those (carefully selected) topics of interest to you.

Actually it's very simple to fact check any source by virtue of elimination. Take five articles from five sources including one foreign source like BBC or AlJazeera and you'll quickly find out that the thread and substance of the story are essentially all the same.

Actually it's very simple to fact check any source by virtue of elimination. Take five articles from five sources including one foreign source like BBC or AlJazeera and you'll quickly find out that the thread and substance of the story are essentially all the same.

OK, but what if you wanted to find out what is going on with the (endless?) "war on terror" in Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Syria or Iraq concerning US forces or what is happening with the 2020 "budget" bills in congress? Much of the news is simply not covered at all by anyone.

Stop 24 hour cable stations and go back to morning or night news only

I thought you believed in free market capitalism? (??...???)
When you use the word "stop", you're talking about telling the government to step in and limit the amount of news programming.
There's wisdom in enforcing a standard that calls for a MINIMUM amount of news and public affairs programming, but only if it is directly tied to goals set forth "in the public interest".

Enforcing a MAXIMUM sends a message that too much access to news is detrimental. That is pure nanny state stuff.
Most of us leftists shy away from maximum amount enforcement on something generally recognized as safe (GRAS)
Crikey, we ain't actual commies, you know. You can't possibly be a commie.
Don't think like a commie. :lamo

Now, of course, minimum QUALITY standards are a decent idea.
If you buy bread, you don't want the main ingredient to be sawdust, do you?
Did you want to talk about safety standards?

Most of us on the left are definitely in favor of seeing to it the consumer gets a square deal and a fair deal.
Stuff like truth in advertising, also great. Libtards definitely hate being ripped off and we detest scam and bunkum.
We love fact checking.

~ Yes I agree . For the most part the news is severely tainted and sensationalized. However when it comes to politics there are some news outlets that do a more balanced report than others .

Back
Top Bottom