• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which party do the poor support?

I did a few years ago and those making under 30K strongly supported the dems. I know HS dropouts (who tend to be the poorest of any educationally stratified cohort) have been the dems most reliable bloc of voters of any group ranked by education

wait. so. the less educated you are, the more democratic economics makes sense to you? :lol:

What????? :lamo

We didn't have a break out of any of this. E-coli spreads through food distro, not economic class. flu affects all classes. I don't know about cancer and aids, but the rest is pure bunk

Most of the poor in this country, are rural. /facepalm

yeah, i'm not going to take the time to go through point by point, but as soon as i read his claim that the poor in America suffer more from unemployment than the poor in Europe I knew he was making it up.

Germany's unemployment right now is at an 18-year low. meanwhile, our's is at an amazing high. the spread between the two? Germany is at 7.5%, we are at about 9.5%.

7.5% is their 18 year low. WE call that a recession.

Okay turtle... how much money do you make and how much is taxed.
Just tell us.
I may start sympathizing here.

over a million
several hundred thousand

wait. so. the less educated you are, the more democratic economics makes sense to you? :lol:

something like that

what is really funny on this board is that those who are the least successful in their own "economic environment" are the ones most ready and willing to tell those of us who are successful that we really don't understand economics.

well that's to be expected. those who can, do. those who can't, lecture. those who can't lecture, administrate.

yeah, i'm not going to take the time to go through point by point, but as soon as i read his claim that the poor in America suffer more from unemployment than the poor in Europe I knew he was making it up.

The unemployed in europe aren't poor.
The employed in america are.

:shrug:

I dont know how you're getting finagled out of your money I've got a rich uncle that bitches alot less than you. :shrug:
Wanna break it down?

no and I don't bitch, this is a discussion board

The unemployed in europe aren't poor.
The employed in america are.

feel free to move there

what is funny is how many people want to come here when AMerica is so bad according to the left

of course maybe the people coming here are winners or want to win

something like that

what is really funny on this board is that those who are the least successful in their own "economic environment" are the ones most ready and willing to tell those of us who are successful that we really don't understand economics.

Very well said!

well that's to be expected. those who can, do. those who can't, lecture. those who can't lecture, administrate.

The way I remember it is: Those who can, do; those who can't, teach; those who can't teach, teach teachers.

Your description seems like the logical consequence of a generation or two of the way I remember it. Thank you for the update.

I know so many teachers who would disagree with that statement haha. It gets on their nerves so much.

I know so many teachers who would disagree with that statement haha. It gets on their nerves so much.

The professors at my law school all had impressive credentials. several were supreme court clerks. almost every one of them had been on the law review at Yale or Harvard or several of the other top law schools. In fact, I think the professor (one of the two best I had) with the "lowest" credentials had merely been the valedictorian at Tulane Law School but had an LlM from Harvard.

Some had actually been successful lawyers--those were usually the "adjunct" professors. the rest had spent 2-4 years at the big bucks big billable hour wall street firms and couldn't hack it there.

A great deal of the College of Education professors as well as the students view themselves primarily as Educators rather than ambassadors of exposing people to History, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, or Global Studies.

I found myself a lot more grounded in the content than most of them, while at the same time, quite embedded in a number of the niches that would concentrate in Education rather than study content (disability studies, civil and political organizations for families, etc.). But, I do get a giggle out of how offended educators can get about statements like that, and there is a good reason for them to disagree with it, but I still am amused.

no and I don't bitch, this is a discussion board

A) You bitch all day like a whining bitch that you dont get to keep enough of your money, pfft. Wah Wah... material wealth :'(

feel free to move there

No ****, smart one Im jumping ship when I get out of college. Either the gov't is sending me out there or Im going for myself.

of course maybe the people coming here are winners or want to win

You dont say, are you opposed to recently immigrated minorities getting tax cuts at your expense :roll:

A) You bitch all day like a whining bitch that you dont get to keep enough of your money, pfft. Wah Wah... material wealth :'(

No ****, smart one Im jumping ship when I get out of college. Either the gov't is sending me out there or Im going for myself.

You dont say, are you opposed to recently immigrated minorities getting tax cuts at your expense :roll:

where you fail is that your rants demonstrate you are envious of others and if wealth really meant nothing to you you woudn't spend so much time on this board justifying the confiscation of other peoples wealth by tax hikes. who is paying for your college education?

and how many years have you been working?

where you fail is that your rants demonstrate you are envious of others and if wealth really meant nothing to you you woudn't spend so much time on this board justifying the confiscation of other peoples wealth by tax hikes. who is paying for your college education?

Demonstrate logically with my personal posts as evidence that I am envious of the wealth of others, also demonstrate where I justify the 'confiscation' of other peoples wealth by taxes, if that isn't a completely loaded statement in itself. You are free to leave to the bahamas and live with lower taxes if you wish. If you can hack making money outside of this country not being a "LAWYER".
I have been interning in the former Soviet Union, Japan, other places. Haven't really "worked" yet.

Demonstrate logically with my personal posts as evidence that I am envious of the wealth of others, also demonstrate where I justify the 'confiscation' of other peoples wealth by taxes, if that isn't a completely loaded statement in itself. You are free to leave to the bahamas and live with lower taxes if you wish. If you can hack making money outside of this country not being a "LAWYER".
I have been interning in the former Soviet Union, Japan, other places. Haven't really "worked" yet.

Well that explains it-thanks for the answer

and how many years have you been working?

My guess: #1- you and me #2- none

Oh, yes, in terms of living space, you are fully correct -- that's factual. I'd note, however, that 'living space' and 'personal bubbles' aren't as important to the European psyche as they are to their American countreparts. For example -- Russia has massive amounts of livable land -- more than anywhere else, in fact. And yet, there's the phenomenon of Russians instead buying posh apartments, instead of big country homes. Why? Because of the sense of community. Most Russians have enough money to buy what would be considered a decent to large sized house outside of the cities, but most instead spend their money on nicer, but smaller apartments
Understanding Poverty in America | The Heritage Foundation

There was much more in the link. Poverty in America is not nearly as bad as some might think.

Most of America's "poor" live in material conditions that would be judged as comfortable or welloff just a few generations ago.As the table shows, some 46 percent of poor households own their own home. The typical home owned by the poor is a threebedroom house with oneandahalf baths. It has a garage or carport and a porch or patio and is located on a halfacre lot. The house was constructed in 1967 and is in good repair. The median value of homes owned by poor households was $86,600 in 2001 or 70 percent of the median value of all homes owned in the United States.
Poor households are wellequipped with modern entertainment technology. It should come as no surprise that nearly all (97 percent) poor households have color TVs, but more than half actually own two or more color televisions. Onequarter own largescreen televisions, 78 percent have a VCR or DVD player, and almost havetwothirds cable or satellite TV reception. Some 58 percent own a stereo. More than a third have telephone answering machines, while a quarter have personal computers. While these numbers do not suggest lives of luxury, they are notably different from conventional images of poverty.

Housing Conditions
A similar disparity between popular conceptions and reality applies to the housing conditions of the poor. Most poor Americans live in houses or apartments that are relatively spacious and in good repair. As Chart 1 shows, 54 percent of poor households live in singlefamily homes, either unattached single dwellings or attached units such as townhouses. Another 36.4 percent live in apartments, and 9.6 percent live in mobile homes.6

Some 73 percent of poor households own a car or truck; nearly a third own two or more cars or trucks. Over threequarters have air conditioning; by contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the general U.S. population had air conditioning. Nearly threequarters of poor households own microwaves; a third have automatic dishwashers.

...the poor in the US are (for reasons I certainly can't explain, but there might be studies that explain it) much more likely to be unemployed....

Right there is evidence that you don't understand the US or capitalism enough to be commenting on ANYTHING (the fact that you cant explain this stuff).

Let me fill you any a little, the reason that the poor are "much more likely to be unemployed", it's not that they are unemployed because they are poor, its that they are poor because they are unemployed. DUH.

and much more likely to be criminal. They're also much more likely to abuse drugs,
being a criminal or drug abuser is looked down upon in our society, this it is harder for chrimals and drug abusers to find jobs, and when they are lucky enough to find jobs, they certainly don't excell at their jobs - thus the poor are poor BECAUSE they are criminals and drug abusers.

and they get less average food per year than their poor European countreparts.

Does that explain why the average poor American happens to be overweight?

The American poor are also more likely to die of diseases like the flu, diabetes, terminal illnesses (cancer, AIDS, etc.) and epidemic diseases (like cholera, anthrax, Mad Cow, ecoli, hepatitis).

Sure, thats the downside of being poor, you don't get as much stuff, including medical care, as rich people. If it wasn't like that, then the poor wouldn't be poor and the rich wouldn't be rich. It's SUPPOSED to be that way.

The poor in the US tend to live in isolated high-crime "ghettoes", whereas, with the exception of megatropolises like London and Paris, the European poor tend to be intersparsed among middle class families.
And what does that have to do with anything? In the US the rich tend to live in isolated low-crime areas. The only thing that I can derive from that is that in the US, poor people commit more crimes that do rich people.

The US poor tend to drop out of school at an earlier age than their European countreparts, and as well, the US poor are overall more likely to drop out.

Yes, educational level definately has something to do with income earning ability. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be? Do you really thing that high school drop outs should make more that doctors?

As for where the extremely poor are, that's divided between the rural poor, like in Appalachia, and the urban poor, in inner cities like Los Angeles and Baltimore. Why aren't they being helped? I would probably point to the political gridlock in Washington as a cause.

I've be to LA and Baltimore before, and just got finished with a trip from SC to Indiana, much of it through the Appalacians. I didn't see anyone starving to death in any of these places. Why do they need to be helped? If the nature of their poverty is their location, then wouldn't the only "help" that they require would be to relocate them? I've moved several times during my life and I don't seem to recall ever having to have a special permit to move.

In the US the rich tend to live in isolated low-crime areas. The only thing that I can derive from that is that in the US, poor people commit more crimes that do rich people.
Crime and criminals CAUSE poverty, just like addictions and lack of education.

The question is not who the poor vote for but rather who they should vote for. To feed the never ending capitalist machine that lives off the sweat of the common worker. Or rise up as a worker of the world in hopes of equality amongst diversity. They have nothing to lose but their chains.

The question is not who the poor vote for but rather who they should vote for. To feed the never ending capitalist machine that lives off the sweat of the common worker. Or rise up as a worker of the world in hopes of equality amongst diversity. They have nothing to lose but their chains.

I may not state it exactly that way, but yes. That is the more important question.

Back
Top Bottom