• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which car would you buy?

Which care would YOU buy?

• Ford C-Max Hybrid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ford Fusion SE

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Ford Escape SE

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Nissan Rogue

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Of those options, have any of them caught a clue and made the hybrid combustion engine diesel driven yet? If not, my choice is none, keep looking. If so, choose that one. More and less polluting fuel options that way.

I had a Dodge Intrepid and when the headlight went out, it cost me $250.00. Same reason. I had to buy the entire light assembly, I couldn't just replace the bulb.

That's job security, right there.

What a rip-off! I was so pissed when I found that out. :roll: Then, once the car had bigger problems, I just traded it in and got the one I have now. Screw that!

Of course! If you want it to last less than 75,000 miles without a major repair, a domestic car is a great choice.

I've never had an American car that had fewer than 100,000 miles on it when I got it. My first car, a 1969 Falcon, had about 220,000 miles on it when it finally died for the last time. Coincidentally, that's about what my 1996 Mercury Mystique had when it was wrecked. (Good thing the young woman in the Honduh that rear-ended it was so cute, otherwise I'd have been very mad at her. Can't be mad at anyone that cute, though. I'm a sucker for that kind of cute.)

And here's where the odometer on my 1997 Ford Contour ended, yesterday. Sitting there until I start driving it again today…

2013-08-09 17.46.17-6.jpg

Which one is based on the Ranger Pickup?
I'd definitely check out what Consumer Reports has to say about their cooling system. The Ranger had some real problems, and still might.

None

The model before the explorer (Bronco II) was based on the Ranger, but nothing has been since the early 90s at least. And the Ranger has been discontinued

Of course! If you want it to last less than 75,000 miles without a major repair, a domestic car is a great choice.

My family has bought Ford for years, and each one went well over 75k miles without a single major repair. In fact, the only replacement parts needed were those scheduled for replacement (i.e. batteries, spark plugs, brake pads, etc). My Focus got to 82k before I traded it in. Standard transmission, clutch was still tight, shifting was smooth, all gears functional....and that thing had been in two major front-end collisions.

I should note: I am absolutely anal about preventative maintenance. All replacements/changes are done as recommended or sooner. I only use Ford certified parts, which are RARELY more expensive than the store brand or "luxury" brand. And most of the parts are (in general) cheaper than what what we paid for parts when my stepmom had a VW, or when my dad had Dodges and Toyotas (pickups).

I remember changing out the alternator and belts on my ex's Celica and spending almost $400 on parts. When I did the alternator on my friend's Focus (bought used with nearly 60k on it, previous owner had done a number on it) it was only about $150 for everything, including a tool rental 'cause my tool collection was pathetic at the time.

I would consider the Fusion hybrid, but still probably go with the SE if that is the limit my selection. I'm not ready for a hybrid since I don't think they are cost effective yet.

Now the Tesla S...

That would be a different story.

I would consider the Fusion hybrid, but still probably go with the SE if that is the limit my selection. I'm not ready for a hybrid since I don't think they are cost effective yet.

Now the Tesla S...

That would be a different story.

The Fusion hybrid is outside of my price range. Technically, the C-Max is as well, but it's closer, and we think our salesman can make something work if I decide to go with it.

I had an Oldsmobile that last 140,000 miles. My Escape has 80,000 miles. Between them I had to replace the ignition.

Now if you want to spend twice as much for parts, buy a foreign car.

I had a Ford Contour that went 187,000 miles before getting rid of it. My only major fix was replacing the timing belt, and I did that myself.

The Fusion hybrid is outside of my price range. Technically, the C-Max is as well, but it's closer, and we think our salesman can make something work if I decide to go with it.

Seriously.

I'd go with the Fusion SE. Future shop repairs will be cheaper than a Nissan. The Escape would probably be good too, just not for me.

My family has bought Ford for years, and each one went well over 75k miles without a single major repair. In fact, the only replacement parts needed were those scheduled for replacement (i.e. batteries, spark plugs, brake pads, etc). My Focus got to 82k before I traded it in. Standard transmission, clutch was still tight, shifting was smooth, all gears functional....and that thing had been in two major front-end collisions.

That's good, and rare with that Focus. I used to work in service for Ford. You are very rare with yours lasting that long. Most repairs that we saw were major repairs, well under 100K miles.

I should note: I am absolutely anal about preventative maintenance. All replacements/changes are done as recommended or sooner. I only use Ford certified parts, which are RARELY more expensive than the store brand or "luxury" brand. And most of the parts are (in general) cheaper than what what we paid for parts when my stepmom had a VW, or when my dad had Dodges and Toyotas (pickups).

I remember changing out the alternator and belts on my ex's Celica and spending almost $400 on parts. When I did the alternator on my friend's Focus (bought used with nearly 60k on it, previous owner had done a number on it) it was only about $150 for everything, including a tool rental 'cause my tool collection was pathetic at the time.

We are anal about maintenance, too. I go to my dealer for everything, and have to have that little stamp in my owner's manual. :lol:

OR, use your head and buy "best value"

very rarely will that cause you to 'buy American'

a slogan contrived to motivate Americans to purchase inferior USA made products

Kia wasn't an option. :lol:

I had a Dodge Intrepid and when the headlight went out, it cost me $250.00. Same reason. I had to buy the entire light assembly, I couldn't just replace the bulb.

That's job security, right there.

Dodge transmissions are the worst.

I had a Nissan Infiniti Q45. Beautiful car, but the parts are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I paid $100 for a light bulb because you can't just replace a burned out bulb, you have to replace the entire light, and ALL the parts for it were at least two times as much as an American car. Keep that in mind before your purchase.
It probably uses a $600 alternator as well.

Dodge transmissions are the worst.

Actually, I never had any issues with the transmission, fortunately. I did have issues with the under carriage rusting (more specifically, the portion of the frame which supported the engine)... I had to get rid of it in 2002. I had taken it in for a new muffler when they had it in the air they figured out that it wasnt the muffler. It was the fact that the engine was resting in the frame and had busted the exhaust pipe off. I saw it and coudnt believe my eyes. It was too expensive for me to fix. It was only 5 years old when I sold it for scrap (basically).

Actually, I never had any issues with the transmission, fortunately. I did have issues with the under carriage rusting (more specifically, the portion of the frame which supported the engine)... I had to get rid of it in 2002. I had taken it in for a new muffler when they had it in the air tgry figured out that it wasnt the muffler. It was the fact that the engine was resting in the frame and had busted the echsust pipe off. It was too expensive for me to fix. It was only 5 years old when I sold it for scrap (basically).

I knew a couple people that had them and both had transmission issues. I also know a mechanic who says they are the worst.

I knew a couple people that had them and both had transmission issues. I also know a mechanic who says they are the worst.

Good thing I don't have it any more then, huh.

Check the poll again.

same price range
and not an American POS
if one considers an American made auto, is needs to be a corvette, maybe a caddy, or a full sized truck
otherwise, the borrower is ponying up to be screwed

Ford Fusion SE is a mega awesome car the Titanium version is all that much better
I AM gonna get me either a Focus ST or mebbe a Fiesta with that teeny tiny one liter 3 cylinder
but if I had a spare fidy five grand lying about I'd get a Porsche Cayman S

same price range
and not an American POS
if one considers an American made auto, is needs to be a corvette, maybe a caddy, or a full sized truck
otherwise, the borrower is ponying up to be screwed

I'll likely never own another Chevy after the horrid experiences we've had with them.

Toyotas aren't ergonomically in tune with me. The steering wheel is too low, seat too high...just feels awkward and uncomfortable. Even with the tilt and seat adjustment options i can never find a "sweet spot".

Back
Top Bottom