• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which car would you buy?

Which care would YOU buy?

• Ford C-Max Hybrid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ford Fusion SE

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Ford Escape SE

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Nissan Rogue

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
I haven't driven any of them but based on the numbers and assuming you want the utility of an SUV I'd go with the Nissan.

Same here. Good choice.

Of the available choices, which would YOU buy? ONLY these choices, please: Ford C-Max Hybrid, Ford Fusion SE, Ford Escape SE, Nissan Rogue.

None of the above

I'm not a fan of Fords. I've had several, and they never really seemed to last longer than about 50- to 75,000 miles. Not saying that that happens with all Fords, but it always seemed to happen to mine, and every single Ford I've ever had (including Lincolns and Mercurys) had to have new transmissions under 100,000, and that is an expensive repair.

I like the way the Ford SUVs drive. I'm a huge Edge fan....but alas that's way out of my price range. The Escape is a good compromise.

Which one is based on the Ranger Pickup?
I'd definitely check out what Consumer Reports has to say about their cooling system. The Ranger had some real problems, and still might.

I like the Impreza "station wagon" style (looks more like a hatchback to me, but whatever), but I wasn't 100% sold. Why do you prefer the brand?

The Impreza is a bit more hatchback-ish, but the new XV Crosstrek is essentially the cross between the Impreza and the Outback (with ridiculous fuel economy). I ain't so much into luxury in a car, and a Subaru is not a luxury vehicle. It's designed to do what it's meant to do....go anywhere. They're relatively cheap in the 20-30 K range, Subaru all wheel drive is the best all wheel drive out there. It doesn't lose grip in weather, it always performs. Again, not a luxury car not a sports car, you ain't breaking any speed records in them. The Crosstrek and the Outback have a very high ground clearance, you can run over pretty much anything. The hatchback/station wagon models have a lot of cargo carrying. Some people don't like it, but I like the CVT. But it has great manual and automatic models as well.

I like to go camping, I like to go outside, for rides, to see new places; it's one of the things I really like about Subaru. Also they're relatively cheap.

I'd go with the Nissan. My ex-wife has one, and I've driven it. Seems to be okay in most respects. We put a canoe on top of it last weekend, though, and I had some misgivings. It did fine, but it's obviously not designed for such use without some alterations for fore and aft tie downs. On the other hand, screw mileage and reliability. Go drive one of those new F-Type Jags and have some fun. If one is going to crash, may as well do it in style.

Buy American.

I'd get the Rogue, just because you couldn't pay me to buy anything Ford.

American Ford. I have an Escape and an F-150.

I hear good things about the F 150. I don't know anything about the Escape. What does Consumer Reports say about them?

Buying a car based on brand is much like voting for a candidate based on party, IMO.

I hear good things about the F 150. I don't know anything about the Escape. What does Consumer Reports say about them?

Buying a car based on brand is much like voting for a candidate based on party, IMO.

I have a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid and I love it. I don't know what Consumer Reports says about it. I like the F-150 also. Mine only has a 4.6L engine and towed 4500 lbs. from Texas to Illinois like a boss.

I'd look them up on Consumer Reports and pick the one that has a big red dot next to "predicted reliability." That's what I did when I bought my Toyota Tundra, and it has given me 11 years (so far) of trouble free service. Ditto my Honda Accord and my Toyota Camry. I should have done the same with my Chevy Impala, and I never would have bought it.
Consumer reports is idiotic. They loved the rx8, for example, when the design was clearly a lemon.

Of course! If you want it to last less than 75,000 miles without a major repair, a domestic car is a great choice.

I had an Oldsmobile that last 140,000 miles. My Escape has 80,000 miles. Between them I had to replace the ignition.

Now if you want to spend twice as much for parts, buy a foreign car.

I'd rather pay more for parts, but farther in between for the repairs.

My Fords have been reliable. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way.

No, not at all.

One is a respectable American vehicle, made by the only remaining great American automobile maker, while the other is a piece of Japanese trash. Not comparable at all.
Hilarious. Having done structural repairs on both cars, I can safely say the Escape is built like a soda can when compared to the CRV, as are many American cars when compared to their foreign counterparts. The supposed structural superiority of American cars is largely a myth.

I went to KBB and did a "Cost of Ownership" analysis between the Rogue and the Escape, and they come out close. The Rogue is only about $1,000 less. What you have to consider, though, is that the tool only uses 15,000 miles a year, over 5 years. That's 75,000 miles, and most domestics, if you are going to have serious, expensive trouble (engine, transmission, etc) it's going to come around 75,000 to 100,000. I wish that that tool gave you the option of going higher mileage. It might be more accurate.

Of the available choices, which would YOU buy? ONLY these choices, please: Ford C-Max Hybrid, Ford Fusion SE, Ford Escape SE, Nissan Rogue.

I had a Nissan Infiniti Q45. Beautiful car, but the parts are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I paid $100 for a light bulb because you can't just replace a burned out bulb, you have to replace the entire light, and ALL the parts for it were at least two times as much as an American car. Keep that in mind before your purchase.

Buy American.

OR, use your head and buy "best value"

very rarely will that cause you to 'buy American'

a slogan contrived to motivate Americans to purchase inferior USA made products

I had a Nissan Infiniti Q45. Beautiful car, but the parts are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I paid $100 for a light bulb because you can't just replace a burned out bulb, you have to replace the entire light, and ALL the parts for it were at least two times as much as an American car. Keep that in mind before your purchase.

I had a Dodge Intrepid and when the headlight went out, it cost me $250.00. Same reason. I had to buy the entire light assembly, I couldn't just replace the bulb.

That's job security, right there.

Back
Top Bottom