• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where Do We Get Our News And Why Does It Matter?

Fox News, ABC and Politico for national news
Reuters for financial and international news
BBC for international news

Hope this is an OK place to post this Thread?

I see a lot of talk on DP from folks, a lot is smack talk, about where posters get their news? A lot of the back and fourth I see is arguments from folks about which source is best or denigrations of other folks sources or other disparaging of folks for not using the same source as the disparager. It is kind of entertaining in its own way but is also tiresome at times, as in those times when posters repeatedly tell me or another poster that we are essentially brainless and just spouting what XYZ news source wants us to think!

So the question from you for me is where do I get my news?

News Media Websites I have accessed since March 1st, or all that I can remember and or have saved Links to:

Al Jazeera - Associated Press - Yahoo News - CNN - Huffington Post - CBS News - ABC News - NBC News - USAToday - NewYork Times - Fox News - Daily Mail - Reuters - Washington Post - Business Insider - Breitbart - BBC - Politico - The Hill - Guardian - MSN News - NPR - Los Angeles Times - Time - Telegraph - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Vox - KPLCTV - WUSA9 - Republican Daily - Defense.gov - American Progress - WPR - Wisconsin Examiner - The Post Millennial - The Pulse - Independent - WSVN 7 News Miami - The Wrap - Newsweek - WBAY - IB Times - KERA News - The Week - Haaretz - KRGV - Media Matters - The Black Wall Street Times - World Tribune - KCRA - WISPolitics - WSAW-TV 7 - WKOW 27 - Chicago Tribune - Daily Beast - NJ.com - Boston Globe - AL.com - Dallas Morning News - MSNBC - KTLA - KTVB - Christian Post - C-Span - Vanity Fair - Wall Street Journal

Now by accessed I mean I have gone to each of those sites at least once, if not repeatedly, to read full articles, not just to graze headlines.

For the record I have Digital Subscriptions to the New York Times and the Washington Post. I had subscriptions to the New Yorker and the Wall Street Journal but they got too expensive so I dropped them.

So where do you get your news and what does is matter?
NPR, ABCNEWS, NPR, BBC, Reuters. UPI. Sometimes I will read CNN and NBC, but always consider it a jumping off point to confirm elsewhere.

I get almost all my news exclusively from the Onion and I fact check them by using the Babalon Bee as a cross reference. 😏
That does actually would explain things.

The first two were the first two that the CIA took control of in 1947 and MI5 was tasked into running the BBC and Guardian not long after as long term projects .

Tragically that is hard fact , and it made and still makes sense to secure the Agencies first . It makes later obligations from individual publications , stations and channels that much easier .

It is popularly believed that for crucial narratives the copy is written at Langley and just handed to AP and Reuters to distribute .

You think MI5 run the BBC?
Really?

"So where do you get your news and what does is matter?" - Usually I watch Haystack News which is generally a mashup of current events as per several varying news sources. Problem is, they often times re-hash 'yesterdays news' to the point it becomes exceedingly repetitive. Noticeable too, was that the channel has also taken a few station breaks that entertained far right politicians who still support a worthless border wall, while nothing of the sort by the obvious opposing party. Needless to say, it does offer me several viewpoints, whether they hold integrity or not, for comparison. Next, and trust me, it doesn't take me long to get bored watching Haystack News, I'll switch over to a couple of local 'live' news stations that are usually updated hourly such as ABC, NBC, CBS, while soon afterwards will gather world news from the AP, Reuters, NPR and so on. As for overall credible news sources, I like to refer to the chart below, where the least bias appears hold the most credibility...

Attachments

• download (2).png
    download (2).png
    561 KB · Views: 2
The first two were the ones that the CIA took control of in 1947 and MI5 was tasked into running the BBC and Guardian not long after as long term projects .

Tragically that is hard fact , and it made and still makes sense to secure the Agencies first . It makes later obligations from individual publications , stations and channels that much easier .

It is popularly believed that for crucial narratives the copy is written at Langley and just handed to AP and Reuters to distribute .

The equivalent paper is WaPo which is referred to as the in house CIA magazine.
Not sure about the specifics, but that is, at least in general, how misinformation and disinformation are controlled and disseminated.

One thing that always struck me as odd was the BBC Documentaries on Operation Gladio.

MI-6 was heavily involved in those terrorist attacks, so it makes you wonder why the BBC produced those documentaries.

My guess would be that so much of what our intelligence services were doing was exposed in the Italian courts, and the EU issued an official condemnation, that the decision was made to report some of it, muddy the waters, then let the story die. It worked.

The documentaries were pretty damning though.

The corporate press, including FoxNews, is controlled by the same monied forces that control our intelligence services and government institutions.

Freelance reporters who dare to try and expose what's going on end up dead.

Everyone knows that it was the CIA that killed Maltese journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia in 2017. Trump did nothing.

NPR, ABCNEWS, NPR, BBC, Reuters. UPI. Sometimes I will read CNN and NBC, but always consider it a jumping off point to confirm elsewhere.
Those are all the same thing - Establishment controlled.

Like reading TASS and Pravda back in the day - which I did read every day back in the 70's and 80's.

Those are all the same thing - Establishment controlled.

Like reading TASS and Pravda back in the day - which I did read every day back in the 70's and 80's.
As opposed to right wing propoganda sites?

The news business is about attracting an audience, whose attention can be sold to advertising clients. There has never been much investigative
reporting of car dealers, department stores, or of grocers. All politics and the bulk of "the news," is local. The internet has mixed this arrangement up, somewhat, put the AP and NPR are still largely dependent on local news gathering and reporting. Local financial relationships and politics still have a major influence on reporting of negative or embarrassing news.

Then, there are the stenos who relay to the public what their valued, unnamed, or sources not authorized to comment, comment, who present themselves as awarding winning journalists.

I try not to rely on what google presents in its news search results. It is useful to access articles behind paywalls at the source website of the google news version.

I glance at Bloomberg TV news often and search what stands out to me in their feed. Currently I'm paying for NY Times, Boston Globe,
and WSJ online access and using google's cached pages of the Wapo, which I share links to, here. I have a child in a graduate program
and have access to his University's online library site.

I'm nearly sure I can assume the opposite of right wing talking points I'm exposed to daily, is closer to accurate than the right wing
narrative, close to 95 percent of the time, so all of that serves as a lazy debunker for liberals. The messaging invested in by wealthiest
right wing political donors is especially contrary to my best interests. Why would they pay to disseminate anything not in their perceived
interest, and their efforts to further concentrate their wealth = influence are not likely to increase mine! The only wedge issue is the division
that would universally exist between the top one-half-of-one-percent and the rest of us if it wasn't for their investments in extending their
influence.

Last edited:
Fox news, the blaze, etc etc etc.

What sources do you use?
Fox is the same as your sources... never looked at the blaze. Don't need to.

FoxNews is corporate, same as the garbage you rely on. The stories aren't really different.

They will run hit pieces on Dems, same as your sources run hit pieces on Republicans. That's all just noise. Never pay attention to any of it.

I rarely read any of the stories. It's a waste of time.

Fox news, the blaze, etc etc etc.

What sources do you use?
I will say this for Foxnews, they do offer up decent coverage on some issues - usually science based; and, as often as not couched as opinion.

The fraud of AGW is one such topic - although their "news" reporting is usually Establishment pap.

Here is an opinion piece by Dr. Marty Makary, Johns Hopkins University.

It doesn't take things to ground, but I cannot assure you you'll never see this information at one of those sources you frequent.

I will say this for Foxnews, they do offer up decent coverage on some issues - usually science based; and, as often as not couched as opinion.

The fraud of AGW is one such topic - although their "news" reporting is usually Establishment pap.

Here is an opinion piece by Dr. Marty Makary, Johns Hopkins University.

It doesn't take things to ground, but I cannot assure you you'll never see this information at one of those sources you frequent.

Lol. Fox news, and Marty Makary, a surgeon making an opinion about epidemiologists . That is known as the logical fallacy of 'argument from authority'. Hint, epidemiologists is not his area of expertise. Now, if you were talking about cancer or surgery on the colon, he would a reasonable expert. When talking about epidemiologists, he's not.

Lol. Fox news, and Marty Makary, a surgeon making an opinion about epidemiologists . That is known as the logical fallacy of 'argument from authority'. Hint, epidemiologists is not his area of expertise. Now, if you were talking about cancer or surgery on the colon, he would a reasonable expert. When talking about epidemiologists, he's not.
Refute his points - that's the point. You can't refute his comments, so you attack him personally?? Way weak.

Why do you need an "expert" to think for you? Common sense should allow you to sniff out B.S.

Never will understand y'all who blindly follow authority. Historically, you're in the majority - and, historically, the majority are usually subjugated and suppressed by those who control government.

Governments lie.

Refute his points - that's the point. You can't refute his comments, so you attack him personally?? Way weak.

Why do you need an "expert" to think for you? Common sense should allow you to sniff out B.S.

Never will understand y'all who blindly follow authority. Historically, you're in the majority - and, historically, the majority are usually subjugated and suppressed by those who control government.

Governments lie.
I don't have to, every one of his points have been refuted by professional epidemiologists. He is a contrarian when it comes to infectious disease, and 900K dead in the usa refute what he says. The fact he claimed we would have natural herd immunity by April 2021 shows he's wrong.

Last edited:
Irish Times
RTE
The Guardian
BBC
Channel 4 News
Sunday Times

Instead of where we get our news, it might be prudent to know WHO we get our news from? Some reporters are better than others. Even at bad networks and news services there are some good people.

I don't have to, every one of his points have been refuted by professional epidemiologists. He is a contrarian when it comes to infectious disease, and 900K dead in the usa refute what he says. The fact he claimed we would have natural herd immunity by April 2021 shows he's wrong.
He made no such claim - yet that is what you think you read??

Quote his article where he said that.

I pretty much consider any initial source I read as my jumping off point for further confirmation elsewhere, unless it is a topic that really doesn't necessarily interest me, but that doesn't mean I will take what I have read as gospel in a one up.

I pretty much consider any initial source I read as my jumping off point for further confirmation elsewhere, unless it is a topic that really doesn't necessarily interest me, but that doesn't mean I will take what I have read as gospel in a one up.
That's a good standard, but some sources I trust more than others. For example, if foxnews and huffington post are to me suspect unless confirmed by other sources, and even then, the opinion spin has to be removed. Fox news in specific does a lot of quote mining, and doesn't give the whole story.

That's a good standard, but some sources I trust more than others. For example, if foxnews and huffington post are to me suspect unless confirmed by other sources, and even then, the opinion spin has to be removed. Fox news in specific does a lot of quote mining, and doesn't give the whole story.
True.

I know what you say is true about the trustworthiness of certain sources.

It is incumbent upon the reader or viewer to realize that fact.

It takes diligence to be a good consumer of news.

True.

I know what you say is true about the trustworthiness of certain sources.

It is incumbent upon the reader or viewer to realize that fact.

It takes diligence to be a good consumer of news.
Too many people read their favorite news source, and don't go down the rabbit hole to look at the original repeated data to see if there is misrepresentation, or biased opinion spin. They gleefully get fooled, as Mark Twain wrote in 1906 "How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!'

Of course, similar ideas have been professed for hundreds of years :p

Back
Top Bottom