• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where Do We Get Our News And Why Does It Matter?

I learn about 10-12 things a day - but alas, I forget about 15-20 things a day, so its at least an 3-10 net loss minumum on a daily basis.

:)
That is probably very similar to me, but I have no clue really cause if I have forgotten it how can I calculate what I have forgotten?

;)

So did I on the NYT back when I was younger, much younger and loved trying to work the Times Crossword puzzles. I am reading more and more of their online content as I go along and watching less Prime Videos than I was for a while after my wife passed.
Sorry for you loss. How long ago?

Why would anyone get there news from a source not considered a scholarly cite,🙄 many do then embarrass themself on a debate forum.

NPR i hit occasionaly, and The Guardian does some good in depth investigative write ups.
I like NPR they are pretty good. I do all the British sources throughout the week. For some reason they do seem to get/wrestle more information on stories than American sources on a lot of items that come up that interest me?

Recently and typical:

"Zero Hedge, which has 1.2 million Twitter followers, published articles created by Moscow-controlled media that were then shared by outlets and people unaware of their nexus to Russian intelligence."

Are you sure one is a fool to not stop in? Maybe one is a fool to stop in?
Instead of regurgitating, which is what I hopefully wrongly believe is all that 99% of Americans do , read it and make up your own mind .
The establishment works all year , every year, to make that specific allegation .
It is BS , but it works to convince many Headline Readers and first paragraph only scanners .Which is what at least 70% of all readers now do
I am not aware that any allegation made against ZH has ever stuck long term.

If you knew the owners backgrounds -- not the Bulgarian hacker who, beyond belief, is given as their owner -- you would be amazed . Around three or four people write under the name of Tyler Durden for all in-house reports . Just about the last people they would write for are Russian groups . All of them are self made, 100% independent multi millionaires .

Hope this is an OK place to post this Thread?

I see a lot of talk on DP from folks, a lot is smack talk, about where posters get their news? A lot of the back and fourth I see is arguments from folks about which source is best or denigrations of other folks sources or other disparaging of folks for not using the same source as the disparager. It is kind of entertaining in its own way but is also tiresome at times, as in those times when posters repeatedly tell me or another poster that we are essentially brainless and just spouting what XYZ news source wants us to think!

So the question from you for me is where do I get my news?

News Media Websites I have accessed since March 1st, or all that I can remember and or have saved Links to:

Al Jazeera - Associated Press - Yahoo News - CNN - Huffington Post - CBS News - ABC News - NBC News - USAToday - NewYork Times - Fox News - Daily Mail - Reuters - Washington Post - Business Insider - Breitbart - BBC - Politico - The Hill - Guardian - MSN News - NPR - Los Angeles Times - Time - Telegraph - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Vox - KPLCTV - WUSA9 - Republican Daily - Defense.gov - American Progress - WPR - Wisconsin Examiner - The Post Millennial - The Pulse - Independent - WSVN 7 News Miami - The Wrap - Newsweek - WBAY - IB Times - KERA News - The Week - Haaretz - KRGV - Media Matters - The Black Wall Street Times - World Tribune - KCRA - WISPolitics - WSAW-TV 7 - WKOW 27 - Chicago Tribune - Daily Beast - NJ.com - Boston Globe - AL.com - Dallas Morning News - MSNBC - KTLA - KTVB - Christian Post - C-Span - Vanity Fair - Wall Street Journal

Now by accessed I mean I have gone to each of those sites at least once, if not repeatedly, to read full articles, not just to graze headlines.

For the record I have Digital Subscriptions to the New York Times and the Washington Post. I had subscriptions to the New Yorker and the Wall Street Journal but they got too expensive so I dropped them.

So where do you get your news and what does is matter?

interesting

I dont think i seek out any "news" sites . . . .if its science, law, medical stuff i will seek out those sties for sure

but typically how i operate for my own news, not looking into others, is this . . .

- I see a headline that interests me or seems important or I want to learn about . . .
- i look at the source,

if the source is something i consider shit (like Newmax, OAN, Slate, FOx, Occupy Democrats, MSNBC, the federalist, zero Hedge, AlterNet, ect ) now the debate is how interesting/important is the headline. If its still interesting/important I look for other/muitiple sources I at least am willing to open if its not I move on.

if the source isnt shit i look into it, if it becomes even more interesting im going to sure more news on it hopefully NPR, AP, Reuters, BBC have stories on it so i can read multiple sources and still decided what is what, what details are left out or varied etc etc. If its topic-specific ill look for industry sources also . . . for example the Keystone XL i looked into the company that owns it etc . . .or a transgender issue I look into medical science sites etc etc

then I take all of that and see what matches, what doesnt, different wording and stressing of the different stories etc etc and compare it with actual facts

but theres no one source i go to nor am drawn too
Heck i even go to the nutter sites and sites that are proven shit for fun sometimes . . .its fun to read what false narratives will be coming down the pipeline from those that suckle at the propaganda teet

Other than home or car radio I have no source other than online.

My home and car radios though are always tuned to Boise State Public Radio Classical Music.
The first two were the first two that the CIA took control of in 1947 and MI5 was tasked into running the BBC and Guardian not long after as long term projects .

Tragically that is hard fact , and it made and still makes sense to secure the Agencies first . It makes later obligations from individual publications , stations and channels that much easier .

It is popularly believed that for crucial narratives the copy is written at Langley and just handed to AP and Reuters to distribute .

I fail to understand why age makes one less invested.
My wife and I would discuss that subject. The older I got the more invested I became in the news and the less invested in the news she became.

She was of the opinion that she didn't want to know all the bad stuff because it was detrimental to her psychology because she would dwell on it all day and even lose sleep over it. Also she was of the opinion that world affairs, national affairs, local affairs were less relevant to her as she got older and was less in any sort of position to do anything about them. She loved travel shows, science shows, history shows, cooking shows and shows like Midsomer Murders et al.

I enjoyed watching all of those shows she liked which was good since I always let her control the TV remote from day one and also the thermostat.

But the thing about me is that when it comes to the news when I get into it I can get totally immersed and 'het up' as they say but the minute I turn away from the screen it all leaves me. It is extremely rare that I will ruminate on any story once I shut it off.

I get almost all my news exclusively from the Onion and I fact check them by using the Babalon Bee as a cross reference. 😏

Time to wander off and do some real world things!

Reuters
AP
BBC

Online only
The first two were the ones that the CIA took control of in 1947 and MI5 was tasked into running the BBC and Guardian not long after as long term projects .

Tragically that is hard fact , and it made and still makes sense to secure the Agencies first . It makes later obligations from individual publications , stations and channels that much easier .

It is popularly believed that for crucial narratives the copy is written at Langley and just handed to AP and Reuters to distribute .

The equivalent paper is WaPo which is referred to as the in house CIA magazine

She was of the opinion that she didn't want to know all the bad stuff because it was detrimental to her psychology

Same with my wife.

We watched news during dinner for years. We had to stop during Covid as she would become too upset all the following day.

Trump really made this worse I might add.

. I will have to check it out and see for myself?
That's the spirit .
They should teach that attitude from ? 5 ? years of age .

I see a lot of talk on DP from folks, a lot is smack talk, about where posters get their news? A lot of the back and fourth I see is arguments from folks about which source is best or denigrations of other folks sources or other disparaging of folks for not using the same source as the disparager. It is kind of entertaining in its own way but is also tiresome at times, as in those times when posters repeatedly tell me or another poster that we are essentially brainless and just spouting what XYZ news source wants us to think!

News Media Websites I have accessed since March 1st, or all that I can remember and or have saved Links to:

Al Jazeera - Associated Press - Yahoo News - CNN - Huffington Post - CBS News - ABC News - NBC News - USAToday - NewYork Times - Fox News - Daily Mail - Reuters - Washington Post - Business Insider - Breitbart - BBC - Politico - The Hill - Guardian - MSN News - NPR - Los Angeles Times - Time - Telegraph - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Vox - KPLCTV - WUSA9 - Republican Daily - Defense.gov - American Progress - WPR - Wisconsin Examiner - The Post Millennial - The Pulse - Independent - WSVN 7 News Miami - The Wrap - Newsweek - WBAY - IB Times - KERA News - The Week - Haaretz - KRGV - Media Matters - The Black Wall Street Times - World Tribune - KCRA - WISPolitics - WSAW-TV 7 - WKOW 27 - Chicago Tribune - Daily Beast - NJ.com - Boston Globe - AL.com - Dallas Morning News - MSNBC - KTLA - KTVB - Christian Post - C-Span - Vanity Fair - Wall Street Journal

Now by accessed I mean I have gone to each of those sites at least once, if not repeatedly, to read full articles, not just to graze headlines.

For the record I have Digital Subscriptions to the New York Times and the Washington Post. I had subscriptions to the New Yorker and the Wall Street Journal but they got too expensive so I dropped them.

It doesn't matter so much where you get your news as it does whether you are influenced by the bias that the news source injects into their news reporting.

Fundamentally, news is nothing but facts.

Me? I get my news from a number of sources...both left and right biased. I prefer news aggregate sites because I don't want to spend a lot of time reading or watching a slew of individual sites. It's bad enough that I have to weed through the bias, spin and nonsense those aggregate sites push at me.

I would love to find a site that reports nothing but the facts.

Does BBC news have adds in the US?
It doesn't here but I think they might for you guys.

The first two were the ones that the CIA took control of in 1947 and MI5 was tasked into running the BBC and Guardian not long after as long term projects .

The equivalent paper is WaPo which is referred to as the in house CIA magazine

Conspiracy Theory level thinking.

Instead of regurgitating, which is what I hopefully wrongly believe is all that 99% of Americans do , read it and make up your own mind .
The establishment works all year , every year, to make that specific allegation .
It is BS , but it works to convince many Headline Readers and first paragraph only scanners .Which is what at least 70% of all readers now do
I am not aware that any allegation made against ZH has ever stuck long term.

If you knew the owners backgrounds -- not the Bulgarian hacker who, beyond belief, is given as their owner -- you would be amazed . Around three or four people write under the name of Tyler Durden for all in-house reports . Just about the last people they would write for are Russian groups . All of them are self made, 100% independent multi millionaires .

Zero hedge =/= Zero sense

I like NPR they are pretty good. I do all the British sources throughout the week. For some reason they do seem to get/wrestle more information on stories than American sources on a lot of items that come up that interest me?
I like the Telegraph, until they went to a pay wall lol

I do subscribe to the Boston Globe for my local news.

I get almost all my news exclusively from the Onion and I fact check them by using the Babalon Bee as a cross reference. 😏
You didn't need to tell us that, as we had figured that out for ourselves.....;)

I fail to understand why age makes one less invested.
Because many (most?) old people have too many personal problems (health, family members, finances, etc.) to be that "invested" in, say, the war in Ukraine.

Have a nice day!

I use lots of sources, I'm sure you have likely covered them above. I also make sure that I research claims by any source I use by looking for the same story among other sources. I don't rely on social media post as hard news. If I see something on one of these I research it with other sources. I read a lot of stuff and try to verify all I can'

If one is not seeking out independent listener-funded progressive analysis (Pacifica Radio and Democracy Now being the best examples that I'm aware of), then you're very likely getting lower quality analysis and/or the agenda/worldview being broadcast needs improvement.

TV and Internet mostly exists to sell commercials and sell narratives that don't go against the agendas of those that buy commercials.

Letters and Politics has a variety of progressive ("left-wing") viewpoints on the Russian attack on Ukraine. Today's program was more aligned with the neoliberal narrative, and is obviously based on high emotions.

Back
Top Bottom