• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When do you want it to end?

Under what conditions, what criteria, do you think the lockdown should end?

When the death rate is less than road accidents? (already there I think)

When the R rate, as invented/projected/guessed at by who knows, is below 1?

When there is a vaccine thatworks 100% of the time unlike the flue one?

Never?

At what point to we get back to life?

The answer is really quite simple. A lockdown should end when the virus is spreading slowly enough that it can be controlled with measures like social distancing, masks and the three interconnected measures that prevent chains of new infections testing, contact tracing and quarantine.

Many other countries have reached this point some time ago.

Unfortunately for the US when a country has a leader who discourages mask use and wants less testing, not more, it’s going to be a long hard road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before I answer let me ask you a simple question. Of all the cases how many have required hospitalization?

No idea.

How much testing do you propose?

Never?

I was not aware that we were currently under "lockdown". I just ran to the store myself. :)

No idea.

How much testing do you propose?

I would think someone who claims to care would be interested in the actual data, but oh well.

Let’s just look at New York. Probably the state that has received the most attention.

COVID-19: Data Main - NYC Health

Of the 233,636 cases only 57,425 required hospitalazation. That’s about 24%. From the same cited article:

In March, April and early May, we had discouraged people with mild and moderate symptoms from being tested, so our data from those months primarily represent people with more severe illness.

Because test kits were limited New York decided only those cases showing severe symptoms were tested. Do you think those that had mild or moderate symptoms all died? Or were hospitalized?

A person tested on Monday can get the Virus on Tuesday. They can be asymptomatic and have a false sense of security because they got tested the previous day. That was a wasted test. With the limitation of test kits being available every test kit is valuable. So in short my position (with that in mind) is that only those showing symptoms should be tested. When the tests are abundant then maybe everyone wanting a test should get one. Until then don’t be selfish.

And remember getting the virus is not a death sentence for the vast majority. And for the majority not even hospitalization will be necessary. But by all means let’s scare the crap out of everyone and keep the country shutdown if it makes you feel safe. And then when people die because of that let’s make ourselves feel better by declaring them collateral damage.

Never?

There shouldnt have been a lockdown. Sweden did the right thing: herd immunity.

I would think someone who claims to care would be interested in the actual data, but oh well.

Let’s just look at New York. Probably the state that has received the most attention.

COVID-19: Data Main - NYC Health

Of the 233,636 cases only 57,425 required hospitalazation. That’s about 24%. From the same cited article:

Because test kits were limited New York decided only those cases showing severe symptoms were tested. Do you think those that had mild or moderate symptoms all died? Or were hospitalized?

A person tested on Monday can get the Virus on Tuesday. They can be asymptomatic and have a false sense of security because they got tested the previous day. That was a wasted test. With the limitation of test kits being available every test kit is valuable. So in short my position (with that in mind) is that only those showing symptoms should be tested. When the tests are abundant then maybe everyone wanting a test should get one. Until then don’t be selfish.

And remember getting the virus is not a death sentence for the vast majority. And for the majority not even hospitalization will be necessary. But by all means let’s scare the crap out of everyone and keep the country shutdown if it makes you feel safe. And then when people die because of that let’s make ourselves feel better by declaring them collateral damage.

I’ve read all the covid truther stuff a billion times. Not interested. So the bottom line here is that you think testing is a waste of time, correct? For the reasons you stated?

I’ve read all the covid truther stuff a billion times. Not interested. So the bottom line here is that you think testing is a waste of time, correct? For the reasons you stated?
Talk about putting words into someone’s mouth! That was excellent. :applaud

Talk about putting words into someone’s mouth! That was excellent. :applaud

Those are question marks at the end of those sentences, big guy.

How much testing do you think we need in order to open up schools and businesses to a level that the public feels confident enough to resume some kind of normal until a vaccine?

If I’m not mistaken Tim was speaking of death rates not totals.

State by state

Of course this is from 2018 but then your figure of 38,000 might have raised that number per 100,000.

Tim and you will drag out any number that looks better than the others for your misguided bs.

Those are question marks at the end of those sentences, big guy.
Yes I’m familiar with punctuation. Your question was previously answered. So like administering a test to someone without symptoms your question was a waste.

Tim and you will drag out any number that looks better than the others for your misguided bs.
I’m just interested in facts. And yourself?

They’re not misguided. THey just listen to rightwing ****hole sites for talking points that they carry over to other platforms beause they think they’re part of Trump’s “digital army”.

The covid-truth-knowers think they’re gonna convince everyone that it’s ****ing normal to have 200k dead in 7 months, and the only reason Trump is gonna lose is cause it’s rIgGeD.

I’m just interested in facts. And yourself?

Myself knows that what you posted here is only true for facts you dredge out that agree with you.

My choiuce;

Those who are vulnerable isolate whilst the rest of us go out and go through it. Once we had died or not you can come out 2 months later.

That would be a lovely thought, but the problem is that ****ty businesses want the right to tell their employees whether or not they have a right to isolate.

That is the core sticking point of the next stimulus bill in congress. Democrats want to make sure those who don't feel comfortable returning to work don't have to, and if their employee forces them back to work and they get sick they want to make sure the employee can sue their employer.
Republicans want employers to be able to force employees back to work even if they're not ready without having to be held liable if those employees die or get sick. That alone tells me we're not ready to open.

Myself knows that what you posted here is only true for facts you dredge out that agree with you.
Facts are facts. They don’t care if you agree with them.

That would be a lovely thought, but the problem is that ****ty businesses want the right to tell their employees whether or not they have a right to isolate.

That is the core sticking point of the next stimulus bill in congress. Democrats want to make sure those who don't feel comfortable returning to work don't have to, and if their employee forces them back to work and they get sick they want to make sure the employee can sue their employer.
Republicans want employers to be able to force employees back to work even if they're not ready without having to be held liable if those employees die or get sick. That alone tells me we're not ready to open.

Exactly. It’s not a coincidence that the GOP’s main covid obsession has been liability protection.

For me, I will never understand the economics of this. GOP can insist this is a hoax until they’re Lady G in the face but people don’t feel safe. There is no confidence. They do nothing to address this but heckle and call people cowards.

There shouldnt have been a lockdown. Sweden did the right thing: herd immunity.

I don’t think they were trying for herd immunity.

This article says that gathering s were limited to 50 people and that social distance was recommended by the Prime Minster and that the people followed that recommendation.

The Swedes brokered a different deal than the rest of the world: Citizens take individual responsibility for social distancing, and the government keeps most of society functioning. There are some rules—high schools and universities are closed, gatherings of more than 50 people are banned, and people over 70 and those who feel ill are encouraged to stay home. But businesses largely remain open, and children who would otherwise need care are in school.

Citizens seems to be taking their responsibility seriously. Residents point out that they are practicing social distancing, with the elderly isolated, and families mostly staying home, apart from kids in school. Citymapper statistics indicate an almost 75% drop in mobility
in Stockholm. Travel over the Easter weekend dropped more than 90%; the government did not tell ski resorts to close for Easter, a popular ski holiday time, but the resorts closed anyway. Lovin told the BBC

it is a “myth that Sweden has not taken serious steps.”

Sweden is taking a very different approach to Covid-19 — Quartz

Last edited:
Facts are facts. They don’t care if you agree with them.

Maybe. But facts can be spun into a false premise based on how they are cherry picked. For example, victims of unjustified shootings by the police can be vilified by dredging up "facts" about their previous life that the police were unaware of at the time of the shooting. Many of your facts fall into this category.

Back
Top Bottom