• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What's wrong with alcohol

Is alcohol bad?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters
Moderate drinking is probably not that bad but over indulgence will kill you............

Nothing's wrong with alcohol.

Nothing's wrong with marijuana.

Nothing's wrong with hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Nothing's wrong with guns.

Nothing's wrong with hydrogen bombs.

Something's wrong with people.

Love Sam Adams, Yuengling and Corona (w/ lime.)

Jack's good. Not a fan of Jim. I swim in Parrot Bay. Cuervo is not mi amigo. Cheap vodka is insta-puke. Good vodka makes me unstoppable in Texas Hold'em. Then there's merlot....

Anyone ever play Edward 40-hands? Strap a 40oz. malt liquor to each hand. Drink. Bottles don't come off your hands til they're empty.

The Real McCoy said:
Nothing's wrong with alcohol.

Nothing's wrong with marijuana.

Nothing's wrong with hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Nothing's wrong with guns.

Nothing's wrong with hydrogen bombs.

Something's wrong with people.

Love Sam Adams, Yuengling and Corona (w/ lime.)

Jack's good. Not a fan of Jim. I swim in Parrot Bay. Cuervo is not mi amigo. Cheap vodka is insta-puke. Good vodka makes me unstoppable in Texas Hold'em. Then there's merlot....

Anyone ever play Edward 40-hands? Strap a 40oz. malt liquor to each hand. Drink. Bottles don't come off your hands til they're empty.

Edward 40 hands is always laffs because someone inevitable pisses themselves trying to undo their zipper while their hands are wrapped in duct tape

star2589 said:
all of you need to try pinga. its a brazilian rum.

Hmm, I don't really like rum. It's too sweet. I like scotch, usually smokey/peaty scotches.

Ivan The Terrible said:
Ditto. I think alcohol is very damaging to society as a whole. But I would not make it illegal.

Fear and ignorance are damaging, the use of alcohol simply exposes this...
Ludicrous to have marijuana illegal, and alcohol even considered for illegality...
Have we learned nothing from the insanity of prohibition ??:confused:

I don't like the idea of using alcohol. Too poisonious. I'd rather use a deliriant because it sounds like an adventure. I'll probably try it once I'm 21. I put up with people drinking because I expect people to not hassle me about what I do to myself. There are somethings that are much less dangerous and won't be legal for a long time, and for those I won't wait.

shuku said:
I don't like the idea of using alcohol. Too poisonious. I'd rather use a deliriant because it sounds like an adventure. I'll probably try it once I'm 21. I put up with people drinking because I expect people to not hassle me about what I do to myself. There are somethings that are much less dangerous and won't be legal for a long time, and for those I won't wait.

Good for you. Peer pressure kicked my ***.

GySgt said:
Good for you. Peer pressure kicked my ***.
There are a lot worse things than peer pressure. Peer pressure turned me to education. My life might have been easier if I just used alcohol and didn't worry about it's effect. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

1. If it were not for alcohol, I would have probably been married before I finally got laid. I suspect that true of most people.

2. If it was good enough for our Lord Jesus, then it’s good enough for me. I mean what, do you think they opened up a can of welches in the Last Supper? They drank like fish from Genesis to Revelations in the Bible. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with drinking. The problem is in laying up drunk all the time.

3. Its been proven that moderate wine and beer consumption can reduce your chances at heart disease.

4. One of the common factors among those who have lived to the age of 100 or more has been that they typically have been moderate drinkers.

5. The government has no business at all telling anyone what he or she can do with his or her own body. If you want to drink, then drink. If you want to smoke pot, smoke pot. If you want to smoke cigarettes or dip, then do so. If you are such a looser that you want to spend your days laid up smoking crack, then its your business to ruin your life doing so. That’s how liberty works. Your right to live your life extends so far as to not to impede another individuals ability to do the same.

SouthernDemocrat said:
1. If it were not for alcohol[...]

2. If it was good enough for our Lord Jesus[...]

3. Its been proven that moderate [...]

4. One of the common factors [...]

5. The government has no business[...]

1: That has to do with your own personal morals for sex and marriage. Are you saying that it's bad because it let or made you do that, or it's a good thing because you wanted to? Anyway, you didn't need alcohol to make that decision. It does aid in making decisions that you may know semantically is the best but cannot do emotionally.

2: The world was very different 2000 years ago. Cutting one self off from the family isn't a western idea, but Jesus did that to wander off in the desert (common religious figure activity). I would consider sandel to be good enough for jesus and say that everybody should be allowed to wear them based on Jesus' use.

3,4: If it helps you live longer and makes you feel good, I see no reason to deny someone that liberty. Even though it's not a cure-all or particularly benign, it can be used responsibly; the same goes for most "abused" psychoactive substances.

5: Amen to that. America was founded on liberty, not restrictions.

shuku said:
1: That has to do with your own personal morals for sex and marriage. Are you saying that it's bad because it let or made you do that, or it's a good thing because you wanted to? Anyway, you didn't need alcohol to make that decision. It does aid in making decisions that you may know semantically is the best but cannot do emotionally.

I think the idea behind alcohol and getting laid is to help the chick out with temporarily loosing her morals.

What is wrong with alcohol?

After all is said that can be said on the liquor traffic, its influence is degrading on the individual, the family, politics and business and upon everything that you touch in this old world. For the time has long gone by when there is any ground for arguments of its ill effects.

Seventy-five per cent of our idiots come from intemperate parents, 80 per cent of the paupers, 82 per cent of the crime is committed by men under the influence of liquor, 90 per cent of the adult criminals are whiskey made. The Chicago Tribune kept track for 10-years and found that 53,438 murders were committed in the saloons.

Archbishop Ireland, the famous Roman Catholic of St. Paul, said of social crime "that 75 per cent is caused by drink and 80 per cent of the poverty." I go to a family and it is broken up and I say, "what caused this?" Drink! I step up to a young man on the scaffold and say, "what brought you here?" Drink! Whence all the misery and sorrow and corruption? Invariably it is drink.

And listen! Last year we spent $600,000,000 for our paupers and criminals, insane, orphans, feeble minded, etc., in the United States, and 82 per cent of our criminals are whiskey made and 75 per cent of the paupers are whiskey made.

The saloon is an infidel. It has no faith in God; has no religion. It would close every church in the land. It would hang its beer signs on the abandoned altars. It would close every public school. It respects the thief, and it esteems the blasphemer; it fills the prisons and penitentiaries. It despises heaven, hates love, and scorns virtue. It tempts the passions. Its music is the song of a siren. Its sermons are a collection of lewd, vile stories. It wraps a mantle about the hope of this world to come.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Book...Billy Sunday/curse_of_liquor_billy_sunday.htm

SouthernDemocrat said:
I think the idea behind alcohol and getting laid is to help the chick out with temporarily loosing her morals.
From that perspective, it sounds like you were being conciously immoral. I think that morals is more of a conciously chosen thing, and the problem in that situation was engrained aversion. The alcohol didn't affect the morals, it allowed the person to circumvent mental barriers.
I hope I'mn not putting words into your mouth.

Mark Twain said that a man could never have enough bourbon; but he was not sober at the time.

He's a fool who give over the liquor,
It softens the skinflint at once,
It urges the slow coach on quicker,
Gives spirit and brains to the dunce.
The man who is dumb as a rule
Discovers a great deal to say,
While he who is bashful since Yule
Will talk in an amorous way.
It's drink that uplifts the poltroon
To give battle in France and in Spain,
Now here is an end of my turn-
And fill me that bumper again!

- Turlough Carolan (1670-1738)

Alcohol the cleaning solvent? The fuel additive? The brewed or distilled
beverage?

Like Grandma used to say, "Everything in moderation."

If by temperance one means self-restraint, then it indeed has virtue, for control over one’s appetites would tend to the “Golden Mean,” and avoidance of excess. If temperance means refraining from drink, its virtue is more problematic; for while many extol the “nectar of the gods,” few mortals can give good account of its use.

IS EVERYONE CRAZY??

Of course alcohol is bad. So many replies start with, "there is no reason to make it illegal".

That is neither here nor there. Alcohol is terrible. From drunk driving deaths to other crimes associated with drunkenness, to liver and heart disease. It is a terrible terrible thing.

That being said, I think they should do away with the drinking age (how is it you can decide to die for your country 3 years before you can buy a drink in it?) and NEVER consider banning it again.

I think it was Dean Martin that said "I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up, that's as good as they'll feel all day."

“I forget the name of the place, I forget the name of the woman; but the wine - ah, the wine! - was Chambertin”
- François R. Chateaubriand

cnredd said:
What's wrong with alcohol?

It doesn't come out of the faucets in my house...

Know what else is wrong with alcohol?

I have 2 hands, but only one mouth... :confused:

Do you think, perhaps, there may be some "intelligent design" to that? If not, the configuration would not stop one from being a "two-fisted" drinker.

Ausonius said:
Do you think, perhaps, there may be some "intelligent design" to that? If not, the configuration would not stop one from being a "two-fisted" drinker.

can still be a two-fisted drinker... just can't drink em at the same time

Guys,

two hands, two drinks, two straws, two corners of your mouth.

And lo, the What's Wrong with Alcohol thread became the How to Drink the Most Alcohol at Once thread.

shuku said:

I had sort of the same attitude as you. My parents were always strict about it, and I never really drank much in high school. Went off to college and let loose for a semester, doing all the stuff I never did at home. After that, I settled down into a more normal rhythm, drinking socially and occasionally to excess when there's a reason. It's all about finding a happy medium.

To be clear, im not trying to convince you of anything at all, I actually have some friends who don't really drink at all, and 2 who never have, and their college experience hasn't really been impacted.

Back
Top Bottom