• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whats With email Address Snobbery?

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I've seen many articles now that basically ridicule anyone who is still using Yahoo, Hotmail, and Outlook for email.

Anybody know why that is?

Does it really matter or are these techie people who get overly excited about what company handles their email?

I've seen many articles now that basically ridicule anyone who is still using Yahoo, Hotmail, and Outlook for email.

Does it really matter or are these techie people who get overly excited about what company handles their email?

No, it doesn't matter. I don't see how this is even an issue for some people.

People actually pay attention to what email someone uses? I never bother. But that's me.

Gmail is pretty much better than those in every area, so someone still using those usually indicates a lesser level of tech savvy. But I wouldn't say that I have seen people ridiculed for having them.

Gmail is pretty much better than those in every area,

How so? I use hotmail and I send, receive and archive stuff without any hitches. What does gmail offer that the others don't? I've had the same email address since 1997, I think I'd need a pretty good reason to change. Is there one?

How so? I use hotmail and I send, receive and archive stuff without any hitches. What does gmail offer that the others don't? I've had the same email address since 1997, I think I'd need a pretty good reason to change. Is there one?

Well outlook has mostly caught up to Gmail so theres probably not any reason to swtich today, but it is telling that you didn't switch over in the 8 years that gmail was so far ahead of Hotmail that they went even in the same league. Pretty much all of those cool features that were added in the switch from Hotmail to Outlook have always been in gmail.

Well outlook has mostly caught up to Gmail so theres no reason to swtich today, but it is telling that you didn't switch over in the 8 years that gmail was so far ahead of Hotmail that they went even in the same league. Pretty much all of those cool features that were added in the switch from Hotmail to Outlook have always been in gmail.

What features? What did I miss? I write mail, I receive mail, I store it and my contacts, and I can sort it. Erm, that's about all I want from an email server. Am I missing something?

Meh. I'm still using my very first e-mail account since the launch of the interwebs. I have had zero problems with my yahoo account. I can't be bothered to switch to gmail just to prove my tech savy-ness.

Gmail is pretty much better than those in every area, so someone still using those usually indicates a lesser level of tech savvy. But I wouldn't say that I have seen people ridiculed for having them.

Lol I'm an IT Application Analyst and I still use my Hotmail account so I think I'm tech savvy enough. and yea a few peers have given me crap about it so the ridicule does happen. I was apprehensive about google from the beginning because of their information gathering. I know all of them do it to a degree but I think google has been pretty unapologetically doing it from the beginning. since I had already had a youtube account using that Hotmail account which ive had for oh 16 years maybe , then when google bought youtube I just continued to use that instead of making a google account.

I use gmail tied into my Outlook... mostly because it's easier to do batch actions in Outlook than in the web interface.

What features? What did I miss? I write mail, I receive mail, I store it and my contacts, and I can sort it. Erm, that's about all I want from an email server. Am I missing something?

I think I am on the same page as you, I had hotmail for years, then ended uo switching to live mail, basically the same thing. I can send and recieve email, any other features are pointless to me.

It is like a pissing contest on who can make the most technological grill. People will spout led temp displays, times controls etc, for me it is can the darn thing cook a brisket, other options mean nothing to me.

It is like a pissing contest on who can make the most technological grill. People will spout led temp displays, times controls etc, for me it is can the darn thing cook a brisket, other options mean nothing to me.

I guess that makes us 'technologically unsophisticated'. Meh! That's never exactly been high on my list of life goals.

I disagree. I have a yahoo account, as well as a gmail account. Google calendar is much better than Yahoo's, and the whole family of Google programs that link to one customer is pretty good. But gmail is NOT better than Yahoo's email. For example, in Yahoo, I can click numerous emails and hit the KEYBOARD delete button to delete at one time. In gmail, I can't delete by hitting the delete key. I HAVE to use the mouse to click on delete at the top of the page in gmail. That's pretty old school techie. When you spend as much time on a computer as I do, it matters to be able to use different parts of the hand to do different things. Speed is also important. Yahoo USED TO NOT HAVE THE DELETE KEYBOARD function, but it improved so that it now does.

I also can't see the header of someone sending me an email in gmail. That's very old school. You can identify sometimes where an email originates by looking at the header. In Yahoo, you can right click and see the full header. What was even better was in the old days, in Outlook you could actually view part of the body of the email w/o opening it. Outlook discontinued that feature, but you could still see the originating header info.

If you deal with finances, Yahoo's finance page(s) are far superior to Google Finance, which often has incorrect information. Yahoo also has an excellent portfolio setup, where you can mirror your holdings and track pre-market and after-market changes, and lots of other information.

So I use a Yahoo account for all financial things, including subscriptions to financial sites, reminders, alerts, and then use the Yahoo Portfolio & Watch program.

I use Gmail for friends' email, as well as bill reminders, which are linked to and come from Google's calendar. I use Google's calendar for all my bill reminders and due dates, as well as dividend payments, dog exam reminders, and such.

I used to use Outlook as a program on my pc, years ago, but Microsoft stopped including that in its office suite, so I stopped using it. I didn't like the online version of Outlook. So I don't use Outlook at all. Or Hotmail.

I have my own web and mail server so I handle my own email. Can I look down on people who use other peoples' mail service?

I have my own web and mail server so I handle my own email. Can I look down on people who use other peoples' mail service?

Hillary is that you? :2razz:

Silliness.

I have a gmail account for my personal email and set up a separate yahoo account that my wife and I use for household related things - electronic bills, statements etc. I chose yahoo at the time because they allowed you to easily tie alias email addresses to your one email and I figured by giving everyone different aliases I could see who was selling my email address to other people. Wound up being more work than it was worth (and I don't know know if yahoo still offers the feature).

In any case everything comes to my iphone and I manage all my email from the onboard iphone mail app so unless I'm writing War and Peace I never use the gmail or yahoo web interfaces.

The only time I raise an eyebrow regarding email addresses is when a business uses a gmail account. It makes me wonder when a business won't spring for the few bucks for their own domain.

i started my account in 1992....

was paying by the minute for the first 4-5 years....and some months the bill was pretty high

then they changed it to a flat fee of $ 19.95 month i think in 95 or 96, and then eventually it was eventually free

i have never switched....i did open up a few new ones, but never used them

next year will be my 25th anniversary using AOL

I think there's a chance the OP is a strawman. I haven't read articles ridiculing people for using web-based email. I recommend it for people traveling where they don't have a local phone number to access their ISP. Me? I don't leave the area serviced by my ISP but if I did, I'd get a web-based email address, notify friends, and use that address for the duration of the trip.

I do have a particular peeve with Comcast and AOL since they have blocked my emails to friends simply because I'm living in Mexico. Comcast said I should talk to my ISP. One of my friends dumped Comcast but some of the others couldn't so they got web-based email addresses just for me to use.

I would like a an email forwarding capability but haven't heard of one.

I am not a techie, am older than most trees, but I need my email and access to the internet.

I've been using AOL email since 1989. Sometimes it gets wonky, so I have yahoo too....just in case. I have gmail but never use it.

Jesus.

I'm still dealing with penis envy, now you're telling me there's email envy, too?

No, it doesn't matter. I don't see how this is even an issue for some people.

That said, it is worthy of curiosity as to why someone would actively choose to use an email service that effectively has no spam filter.

I still check on my yahoo email account out of morbid curiosity every once in a while, and it's just nothing but spam.

That said, it is worthy of curiosity as to why someone would actively choose to use an email service that effectively has no spam filter.

I still check on my yahoo email account out of morbid curiosity every once in a while, and it's just nothing but spam.

It doesn't? That's stupid.

I never used Yahoo before, so I wouldn't know.

Back
Top Bottom