• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What will the Republicans do when Biden discusses Ukraine....

If true, sure. However coming from "The center for biological diversity" and the Washington Post, I suspect that there is something they are not telling.
A simple search will show that the linked article stating Biden has issued more drilling permits than Trump is true.

It is true. Do you have any links to counter the fact regarding permits?

Some won't come because they say they don't have time to take a Marxist covid test.

I guess I'm living in a bubble, but every Republican I've heard speak to this is totally opposed to Russia's actions and supports all efforts to stop them. Including Pompeo, Trump (at CPAC) and others. They may think Biden is not doing enough or that his posture invited the aggression, but they will all support every effort to stop Putin.

I guess I'm living in a bubble, but every Republican I've heard speak to this is totally opposed to Russia's actions and supports all efforts to stop them. Including Pompeo, Trump (at CPAC) and others. They may think Biden is not doing enough or that his posture invited the aggression, but they will all support every effort to stop Putin.

They're very critical of Biden not doing enough but have no clue on what more he could do.

They're very critical of Biden not doing enough but have no clue on what more he could do.
Them and the rest of the world. When this is all over, maybe the international community needs to find a way to approach aggression like this more forcefully from the outset. Nip it in the bud, so to speak.

Someone has led you astray. Not only do the republicans have a platform, they vote on it every four years at convention time. They either vote in changes or elect to keep it as it is, which is what they did in 2020. It was last added to or altered in 2016.

Why are you tossing in your silly "if" based on your own attempt at projecting? One of the secrets to Trump's success in 2016was that he supported and followed the republican party platform.
According to THIS WEBSITE, the platform of the Republican Party is

Republicans believe in liberty, economic prosperity, preserving American values and traditions, and restoring the American dream for every citizen of this great nation. As a party, we support policies that seek to achieve those goals.
Our platform is centered on stimulating economic growth for all Americans, protecting constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms, ensuring the integrity of our elections, and maintaining our national security. We are working to preserve America's greatness for our children and grandchildren.
The Republican Party's legacy -- we were originally founded in 1854 for the purpose of ending slavery -- compels us to patriotically defend America's values. As the left attempts to destroy what makes America great, the Republican Party is standing in the breach to defend our nation and way of life.
Not a single bit of which qualifies as a concrete proposal.

Next to that there is a link to "Learn More About Our Platform and Where We Stand". That link gives absolutely no details whatsoever about any "platform".

Admittedly you could go back to 2016 and find something that the Republican Party CALLS a platform, but, when you actually read it, you will find the finest collection of weasel worded platitudes and (deliberately[?]) misleading statements WITHOUT any concrete proposals that money can buy.

Provided they are issued by the state. Like Switzerland.
Actually Switzerland also imposes "competency requirements" (which must be renewed annually) along with the ability to "keep and bear arms".

PS - I have absolutely no issue with every person who can show that they can handle firearms safely, competently, AND APPROPRIATELY being allowed to have any weapons that they feel like having at any time (although, personally, I favour "open carry" [just so that I know who is doing what]).

We got a preview when NPR interviewed John Thune about the state of the Union and asked how Biden is doing. It's pretty close to what I said. He attacked Putin. The interviewer asked, so trump is wrong? He wouldn't answer but said 'former presidents can have their opinions', but went on to say it's clear Putin is wrong and anyone who doesn't say so, isn't monitoring it.

...in his SOU speech. We know that they will sit on their hands and look dour during most of his speech, but will they also do so when Biden discusses Putin and Ukraine, thus making their great hero Putin very pleased?
If I were the Speaker of the House, I'd tear up the script ..

...in his SOU speech. We know that they will sit on their hands and look dour during most of his speech, but will they also do so when Biden discusses Putin and Ukraine, thus making their great hero Putin very pleased?
mostly listen then take with a grain of salt

what the hell are you going do? spread more lies and misinformation? Thought so

It's amazing how propaganda works in the minds of the weak, to actually believe such bs.....truly incredible.

According to THIS WEBSITE, the platform of the Republican Party is
Republicans believe in liberty, economic prosperity, preserving American values and traditions, and restoring the American dream for every citizen of this great nation. As a party, we support policies that seek to achieve those goals.​
Our platform is centered on stimulating economic growth for all Americans, protecting constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms, ensuring the integrity of our elections, and maintaining our national security. We are working to preserve America's greatness for our children and grandchildren.​
The Republican Party's legacy -- we were originally founded in 1854 for the purpose of ending slavery -- compels us to patriotically defend America's values. As the left attempts to destroy what makes America great, the Republican Party is standing in the breach to defend our nation and way of life.​
Not a single bit of which qualifies as a concrete proposal.

Next to that there is a link to "Learn More About Our Platform and Where We Stand". That link gives absolutely no details whatsoever about any "platform".

Admittedly you could go back to 2016 and find something that the Republican Party CALLS a platform, but, when you actually read it, you will find the finest collection of weasel worded platitudes and (deliberately[?]) misleading statements WITHOUT any concrete proposals that money can buy.
It is really difficult to take you seriously, however in your own way, you are admitting the existence of a Republican Party Platform. I suppose that's a start.

It is really difficult to take you seriously, however in your own way, you are admitting the existence of a Republican Party Platform. I suppose that's a start.
A platform contains detailed statements of WHAT the political party is going to do in order to achieve SPECIFIC aims.

What the Republicans has is a collection of slogans and platitudes that contain neither descriptions of WHAT they intend to do nor any SPECIFIC aims.

As an example "Make the tax system fairer." is NOT either specific or even independently definable. What would "Make the tax system fairer." to someone who thinks that people who earn less than $25,000 per year don't pay enough in taxes than it does to someone who thinks that people who earn more than $250,000 per year pay too much in taxes. What "Make the tax system fairer." is, is a platitude.

As another example "Simplify the tax system." is also NOT either specific or even independently definable. The tax system could be made very simple by having only one tax rate regardless of income. That would mean that someone who had a taxable income of $25,000 out of an actual income of $30,000 would pay (let's assume that the tax rate was 10%) $2,500 in taxes while someone else who had a taxable income of $20,000 out of an actual income of $300,000 would pay (same tax rate assumption) $2,000 in taxes.

In fact, even "Reduce the tax rates." isn't enven specific or even independently definable because you could reduce the percentage tax rates at the same time as you eliminated tax brackets so that the net effect would be even more tax money being collected (with most of that increase coming from the people lower down on the income scale.

The Republican "platform" includes (by implication) "Make the tax system fairer.", "Simplify the tax system." and "Reduce tax rates." but does NOT include a word about how any of those will be accomplished.

You may thing that a "Statement of General Principles" and a "Platform" are the same thing, but I sure don't.

A platform contains detailed statements of WHAT the political party is going to do in order to achieve SPECIFIC aims.

What the Republicans has is a collection of slogans and platitudes that contain neither descriptions of WHAT they intend to do nor any SPECIFIC aims.

As an example "Make the tax system fairer." is NOT either specific or even independently definable. What would "Make the tax system fairer." to someone who thinks that people who earn less than $25,000 per year don't pay enough in taxes than it does to someone who thinks that people who earn more than $250,000 per year pay too much in taxes. What "Make the tax system fairer." is, is a platitude.

As another example "Simplify the tax system." is also NOT either specific or even independently definable. The tax system could be made very simple by having only one tax rate regardless of income. That would mean that someone who had a taxable income of $25,000 out of an actual income of $30,000 would pay (let's assume that the tax rate was 10%) $2,500 in taxes while someone else who had a taxable income of $20,000 out of an actual income of $300,000 would pay (same tax rate assumption) $2,000 in taxes.

In fact, even "Reduce the tax rates." isn't enven specific or even independently definable because you could reduce the percentage tax rates at the same time as you eliminated tax brackets so that the net effect would be even more tax money being collected (with most of that increase coming from the people lower down on the income scale.

The Republican "platform" includes (by implication) "Make the tax system fairer.", "Simplify the tax system." and "Reduce tax rates." but does NOT include a word about how any of those will be accomplished.

You may thing that a "Statement of General Principles" and a "Platform" are the same thing, but I sure don't.
You are lost in the woods and grasping for straws. The platform is the principles the party claims to stand for. And they vote on it every four years at convention time. Though I am proud that you are now admitting to the existence of a platform.

You are lost in the woods and grasping for straws. The platform is the principles the party claims to stand for.
Nope, but we do appear not to be using the same definition for the word "platform".

If I adopt the American usage, then, indeed, the Republican Party does have a "platform" - unfortunately that "platform" doesn't have any "planks"

You might want to compare the almost total lack of specific "planks" in what you call the Republican Party platform (and which I call a "Philosophical Pastiche") and the contents of what you have to (using your definition) the Democratic Party platform (which is still not as specific as I would like to see for a "party platform".
And they vote on it every four years at convention time. Though I am proud that you are now admitting to the existence of a platform.
Yep, a "platform without planks" is what the Republicans have and a "platform with indications of what the planks will end up being" is what the Democrats have.

Back
Top Bottom