• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What the Derek Chauvin trial is focused on

there was no basis in the ME report to know the cause of death or call it a homicide. NONE.

And, if nothing else, there was certainly reasonable doubt regarding the cause of death.

But unfortunately, not in the eyes of the mob, Joe Biden and other bigots who were not concerned that Chauvin should get a fair trial.

And, if nothing else, there was certainly reasonable doubt regarding the cause of death.

But unfortunately, not in the eyes of the mob, Joe Biden and other bigots who were not concerned that Chauvin should get a fair trial.

And yet more proof of the American politics being the source of hysteria and attempts at public lynchings is in the following news report:

BALTIMORE — Maryland officials said they will review all in-custody death reports during the tenure of the state's former chief medical examiner after he testified that former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was not responsible for George Floyd's death.

Dr. David Fowler, Maryland's chief medical examiner from 2002 to 2019, was a key defense witness for Chauvin, who was convicted Tuesday of murder and manslaughter for kneeling on Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes.

The outrage that someone would testify on behalf of Chauvin has spawned the usual hysterical over-reaction, an embarrassing (or what should be embarrassing) transparent attempt to smear him. I guess those dolts don't understand that most of the forensic work and findings were by and from the departments staff pathologists, not him.

I live in a madhouse looking more and more like Venezuela, but at least Australia appears to be at more rationale. Hmmmm, I wonder if I'd like Perth?

But you can't call out of you can't breathe at all....as Floyd claimed.

Do you not understand the difference?
So Floyd was having trouble breathing, and in his panic said, “I cant breathe,” instead of the more accurate, “I am having trouble breathing, officer, could you please take your knee off my neck. I would appreciate that.” Big deal. That exonerates Chauvin?

As I recall, neither Joe Biden nor the mob were in the jury room. And are you suggesting that Floyd would have died anyway that day, at that time, if Chauvin hadnt knelt on his neck for nine plus minutes? And it seems that the preponderance of the medical testimony eliminated reasonable doubt as to the cause of death. Your problem seems to be with the evidence presented at the trial, or perhaps with the defense attorney who couldn’t counter it. Or maybe you don’t like the idea that a cop is going to jail.

I wonder if there is any other nation around the world where the President has said he is "praying for a conviction" thus placing enormous pressure on the jurors.

I understand that he didn't want American cities to go up in flames. (that wouldn't look good on his resume).....but Biden has obviously no respect for "due process".

The man, like your previous leader, is an embarrassment to your country.
The jurors were sequestered when Biden spoke to Floyd’s family. You’re confusing Biden with Trump and the Central Park Five.

The medical community is not irrelevant, they are very relevant when they are motivated by objective findings and without political or ego interests. However, from the outset, there was no basis in the ME report to know the cause of death or call it a homicide. NONE.

So it is essential that every "opinion" be backed by scientific derived findings and scientific peer reviewed literature. Any "expert" that puts his ass on the stand to give an unsupported opinion is of limited value to me because their are so many biased folks salivating at the opportunity for exposure on a national basis and to look like the good guys.

And there is a difference between Chauvin possibly doing something wrong (such as excessive force) and his actually being the substantial cause of Floyd's death. This isn't a case of someone shooting a prisoner and killing him because we have no idea if Chauvin applied (or could apply) lethal force. It is always possible that the prone position played a role but its absolutely impossible to know if that role was the substantial cause or not.

If Chauvin were guilty of anything it would be excessive force, although I find that probable but not beyond a reasonable doubt.
The jurors disagreed with you. Do you have ME experience? Did you examine Floyd?

I wonder if there is any other nation around the world where the President has said he is "praying for a conviction" thus placing enormous pressure on the jurors.

I understand that he didn't want American cities to go up in flames. (that wouldn't look good on his resume).....but Biden has obviously no respect for "due process".

The man, like your previous leader, is an embarrassment to your country.
Due process does not exist in this country unless you can get millions of people to protest. So if you are arrested and want a fair trial do not have faith in our justice system. Get family and friends to start the protesting burning and looting if you want any hope of due process. Just ask our leaders? it is the only way.

The jurors disagreed with you. Do you have ME experience? Did you examine Floyd?

Ya, the jurors were wrong. I can look at the same evidence EXCEPT I didn't make up my mind in 10hrs. I've actually read studies and researched claims. But hey, that's me.

Ya, the jurors were wrong. I can look at the same evidence EXCEPT I didn't make up my mind in 10hrs. I've actually read studies and researched claims. But hey, that's me.
So you decided he was not guilty based on evidence you heard outside the courtroom, while the jurors focused solely on evidence presented at trial. Therefore they're wrong. Is that right?

So you decided he was not guilty based on evidence you heard outside the courtroom, while the jurors focused solely on evidence presented at trial. Therefore they're wrong. Is that right?
There wrong because a) there was enough evidence presented to find reasonable doubt and b) there was enough evidence presented to make any charge of more than manslaughter absurd. That they could have read all the documentation and literature submitted and apparently did not, is ipso facto evidence of their bias and/or intimidation.

And yet more proof of the American politics being the source of hysteria and attempts at public lynchings is in the following news report:

The outrage that someone would testify on behalf of Chauvin has spawned the usual hysterical over-reaction, an embarrassing (or what should be embarrassing) transparent attempt to smear him. I guess those dolts don't understand that most of the forensic work and findings were by and from the departments staff pathologists, not him.

I live in a madhouse looking more and more like Venezuela, but at least Australia appears to be at more rationale. Hmmmm, I wonder if I'd like Perth?

I think you'd find Perth boring compared to the US.

No mobs outside Courthouses protesting racist killings of blacks, even when the prosecutor in the case has said openly that there is no evidence of racism in the death of a convicted criminal resisting arrest.

A crime rate a fraction of that in the US.

People not allowed to walk around with a knife or even a catapult, compared to the US where citizens can walk around with automatic weapons.

But we do have the most deadliest snakes and spiders in the world to liven things up. :rolleyes:

There wrong because a) there was enough evidence presented to find reasonable doubt and b) there was enough evidence presented to make any charge of more than manslaughter absurd.

My faith in the intelligence of my American friends is restored.

But where are all the Americans who fall into the middle ground......you know.....between those who are so bigoted that they want a man convicted of murder purely because they believe he was guilty of a racist crime, of which there is absolutely no evidence of......and those who invade the Capitol building?

Where are all the moderate, sensible Americans?

Due process does not exist in this country unless you can get millions of people to protest. So if you are arrested and want a fair trial do not have faith in our justice system. Get family and friends to start the protesting burning and looting if you want any hope of due process. Just ask our leaders? it is the only way.

The evidence suggest you are 100% correct.

When even the President is praying for a conviction, it is self evident that a fair trial is impossible.

Studies have shown that human beings value the safety of their families and themselves above all else.

When a trial is held with mobs outside the Court threatening countrywide violence should the jurors not deliver the verdict they demand, again a fair trial is impossible.

The jurors were sequestered when Biden spoke to Floyd’s family. You’re confusing Biden with Trump and the Central Park Five.

Er no : It was Biden who was praying for a conviction :

I would still like to know if there has ever been another leader of a Western Nation that has been idiotic enough to make a similar statement?

Your President is way out of line.

And are you so misguided that you believe that being "sequestered" means anything when the jurors have to travel to Court through the mobs vowing violence and when they witnessed the same threats even before being appointed as a juror?

You surely can't be so naive?

I would still like to know if there has ever been another leader of a Western Nation that has been idiotic enough to make a similar statement?

And are you so misguided that you believe that being "sequestered" means anything when the jurors have to travel to Court through the mobs vowing violence and when they witnessed the same threats even before being appointed as a juror?

Oh give me a break. What Biden said was ill-advised, but understandable given who he was talking to. The jurors saw the same facts you and I did. What Chauvin did was brutal, unlawful and dumb. Everyone recognized it, even Donald "Don't be so gentle with suspects" Trump. Did you express the same outrage at Trump when he took out ads condemning the Central Park Five? What Biden did speaking to the dead man's family was small potatoes. Biden didnt pay for ads saying he "wanted to hate" Chauvin, as Trump did with the Five. Unlike Trump, he doesn't preach hate. I can imagine Biden apologizing for his premature comments. Can you imagine Trump doing the same?

Why would you expect anything less from a party that supports mob rule.

My faith in the intelligence of my American friends is restored.

But where are all the Americans who fall into the middle ground......you know.....between those who are so bigoted that they want a man convicted of murder purely because they believe he was guilty of a racist crime, of which there is absolutely no evidence of......and those who invade the Capitol building?

Where are all the moderate, sensible Americans?

Sadly, most of them are either hiding in fear of offending someone "woke" or on the sideline in despair. I have a mildly left of center friend and other mildly on the right friends. Although I am more to the right than most, we all sit in despair. None of us understand this country...for 50 years I have tracked politics and even attended a few conventions. I grew up in the crazy 60s and went to UC California (Davis) when UC Berkeley (late 60s) was going bonkers - but all of it seemed understandable on some level.

This is the first time in my life I don't get anyone - my God, I'm a conservative and miss Walter Mondale. My left of center friend actually misses George Bush. AT LEAST WE UNDERSTOOD those folks...but all of us older sorts are baffled at the irrationality, the complete lack of respect for any facts, the desire to punish researchers who come to the wrong conclusion on social issues.

As one friend put it; America has become Stalinist in methods, Maoist in cultural repression.

I think you'd find Perth boring compared to the US.

No mobs outside Courthouses protesting racist killings of blacks, even when the prosecutor in the case has said openly that there is no evidence of racism in the death of a convicted criminal resisting arrest.

A crime rate a fraction of that in the US.

People not allowed to walk around with a knife or even a catapult, compared to the US where citizens can walk around with automatic weapons.

But we do have the most deadliest snakes and spiders in the world to liven things up. :rolleyes:

I yearn for such a boring and safe place. I hope Perth has fewer deadly creatures than the rest of Australia but I'd take a risk.

The democrats stormed the Capitol?
No they do not go to the source like our forefathers did. I would rather the people protest our leaders and hold them accountable rather than burn, loot, and terrorize the good people of this country.

Why would you expect anything less from a party that supports mob rule.

As an outsider, it seems to me that the Democrats know that they would probably have lost the last election, but for receiving most of the votes from your black population. Because of this, many of your black people are playing the victim in order to get their wishes fulfilled.

This whole "taking the knee" thing is ridiculous as those doing so have mostly done nothing else but help black people. It's even spread to some events in this country, as well as Europe.

My visits to the US have shown me that there are many successful black people there who haven't let their skin colour stand in the way of their success. Unfortunately, I also came across many who play the race card to obtain sympathy and who falsely blame their skin colour for their lack of success in life.

What Biden said was ill-advised, but understandable given who he was talking to

Ill advised!!!! Lol!

It was an incredibly dumb thing for a President to say.

If Trump had said the same thing, you and your ilk would probably be calling for yet another impeachment attempt.

And, what difference does it make who he was talking to? He should be intelligent enough to know that whatever he said would be reported....but he's obviously not that smart.

It was a moronic thing to say whomever he was talking to.

most of them are either hiding in fear of offending someone "woke" or on the sideline in despair.

The world needs a strong America. We, in Australia, would probably be speaking Japanese now if it wasn't for your country and the UK.

And I believe it is only the USA that can stop the Chinese taking over this part of the world, albeit after I'm pushing up daisies.

Probably the worst thing coming out of the USA (and we in Australia are slowly following the trend set by yourselves) is the lack of respect for free speech. If you have an opinion different to someone else, you are immediately demonised or insulted.

True story : On my first visit to the USA, a couple of decades ago now, we went to Time Square and came across some black guys wearing all black clothes with some kind of Star of David on them racially insulting white men, calling them faggots etc. A couple of days later we were in West Virginia at a flea market where there were people selling white supremacist t shirts. Both groups had a right to express their opinions freely, however racist they may have seemed to some. There will always be racists. We just need to ignore them and possibly laugh at them....but we must never deny people the right to free speech, otherwise we will end up like the Communist states or Nazi Germany where only one train of thought is allowed and acceptable.

The world needs a strong America. We, in Australia, would probably be speaking Japanese now if it wasn't for your country and the UK.

And I believe it is only the USA that can stop the Chinese taking over this part of the world, albeit after I'm pushing up daisies.

Probably the worst thing coming out of the USA (and we in Australia are slowly following the trend set by yourselves) is the lack of respect for free speech. If you have an opinion different to someone else, you are immediately demonised or insulted.

True story : On my first visit to the USA, a couple of decades ago now, we went to Time Square and came across some black guys wearing all black clothes with some kind of Star of David on them racially insulting white men, calling them faggots etc. A couple of days later we were in West Virginia at a flea market where there were people selling white supremacist t shirts. Both groups had a right to express their opinions freely, however racist they may have seemed to some. There will always be racists. We just need to ignore them and possibly laugh at them....but we must never deny people the right to free speech, otherwise we will end up like the Communist states or Nazi Germany where only one train of thought is allowed and acceptable.

About 8 to 10 years ago didn't a media personality, maybe a radio talk show host, go to jail because he said an illegal political opinion in Australia?

Ill advised!!!! Lol!

It was an incredibly dumb thing for a President to say.

If Trump had said the same thing, you and your ilk would probably be calling for yet another impeachment attempt.

And, what difference does it make who he was talking to? He should be intelligent enough to know that whatever he said would be reported....but he's obviously not that smart.

It was a moronic thing to say whomever he was talking to.
Biden and Chauvin: My impression was that he said it to the family while the jury was deliberating.
Perhaps not smart.

Trump and the Central Park Five: Paid thousands for ads in the newspapers saying he wanted to hate them.
Perhaps not human.

Back
Top Bottom