• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What the Derek Chauvin trial is focused on

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Although racism most likely was a factor in Derek Chauvin's stupid decision to suffocate George Floyd, everyone needs to remember criminal trials are all about the objective facts presented by witnesses, lawyers, and defendants. Racism is subjective and does not affect the verdict. Either he is or he is not guilty or killing George Floyd These articles are reminders this criminal case is only about the video and autopsies, not Chauvin being a racist.
*Correction: Derek Chauvin knelt on George Floyd almost, not more than, nine minutes.

More details about the trial:

Well, when the jurors get behind closed doors, they will consider what they feel is important to consider. Look up Jury Nullification, for example. So, they may be given evidence that is scrubbed of accusations of racism, and they can even be directed to not consider the issue of racism...but what they consider in the Jury room is up to them.

Although racism most likely was a factor in Derek Chauvin's stupid decision to suffocate George Floyd,
Funny how you say this in the same sentence where you emphasize the need for objective facts....
I'm very much hoping that we'll hear Chauvin tell us himself. Why, when told twice that GF had no pulse by one of his fellow cops...he still did not get off of him and provide medical care, like CPR.

And then why, when the EMTs arrived, they had to ask him 3 times to get off of GF...the pics shown in court where they're standing right next to GF with the gurney and Chauvin is still kneeling on him are very powerful...before he'd let them treat him (and they said they were treating a dead man..as they said in testimony.)

I'm very much hoping that we'll hear Chauvin tell us himself. Why, when told twice that GF had no pulse by one of his fellow cops...he still did not get off of him and provide medical care, like CPR.

And then why, when the EMTs arrived, they had to ask him 3 times to get off of GF...the pics shown in court where they're standing right next to GF with the gurney and Chauvin is still kneeling on him are very powerful...before he'd let them treat him (and they said they were treating a dead man..as they said in testimony.)

How's any of that even remotely relevant to what I said?

I'm very much hoping that we'll hear Chauvin tell us himself.

No defense lawyer worth a damn would ever put his defendant on the stand. We don't need to hear from Chauvin a damn thing, the state has to prove his guilt, he doesn't need to explain his innocence--- he is already presumed to be innocent.

How's any of that even remotely relevant to what I said?
This is what you wrote:
Funny how you say this in the same sentence where you emphasize the need for objective facts....
And I said that I wanted to hear Chauvin's side.

I wanted to hear how he 'objectively' explained the testimony of others. And I posted their testimony.

This is what you wrote:
And I said that I wanted to hear Chauvin's side.

I wanted to hear how he 'objectively' explained the testimony of others. And I posted their testimony.

You could have just said "nothing." Same meaning, just one word.

No defense lawyer worth a damn would ever put his defendant on the stand. We don't need to hear from Chauvin a damn thing, the state has to prove his guilt, he doesn't need to explain his innocence--- he is already presumed to be innocent.
Heh...yeah, I know. In Chauvin's case, his prior abusive record would also come in.

So...he's at the mercy of the actual witnesses to his actions and words.

However, in EVERY case, it's the defendant's decision...his choice overrules his lawyers. OTOH, of course Chauvin wont testify...he's praying for some loser to believe his cruel depravity was 'acceptable.'

You could have just said "nothing." Same meaning, just one word.
Not really. Maybe you need a dictionary for 'nothing.'

Not really. Maybe you need a dictionary for 'nothing.'
Maybe you need a dictionary for "racism" to understand that nothing you wrote is an indication of racism.

Maybe you need a dictionary for "racism" to understand that nothing you wrote is an indication of racism.
I've never made any claims of racism. I dont know enough about Chauvin.

My opinion is formed on what I've seen on 40+ minutes of video and information on his prior police record and other info. I havent seen anything related to race. My objections are based solely on his depraved indifference to life and his actions killing a human being in his care (custody).

Did you have any other point?

I've never made any claims of racism. I dont know enough about Chauvin.

My opinion is formed on what I've seen on 40+ minutes of video and information on his prior police record and other info. I havent seen anything related to race. My objections are based solely on his depraved indifference to life and his actions killing a human being in his care (custody).

Did you have any other point?

If you weren't interested in talking about racism, why exactly would you respond to a comment regarding racism?

OJ was guilty but got away with murder because he is black.

Chauvin is white so will be found guilty of a race inspired murder.

Simple as.

If you weren't interested in talking about racism, why exactly would you respond to a comment regarding racism?
To discuss his 'suffocating GF.' It was right there in the post and it's what I addressed directly.

To discuss his 'suffocating GF.' It was right there in the post and it's what I addressed directly.

Oh boy....

Heh...yeah, I know. In Chauvin's case, his prior abusive record would also come in.

This case is about what occured on the day Floyd died. Whatever Chauvin's performance as a cop may have been, his department kept him employed, so clearly he was still in their eyes suitable for the job. But do we want to bring in GFs criminal history into the trial to demonstrate what kind of loser thug the Cup Store manager called the police out to help him with?

So...he's at the mercy of the actual witnesses to his actions and words.

Not mercy, but the jury is the trier of fact. Putting a defendant on the stand is always a risk that he may not come off sympathetic enough. And forcing him to describe the concerns he had over a violent resisting man now dead, doesn't sound good.

However, in EVERY case, it's the defendant's decision...his choice overrules his lawyers.

Yeah, and that never works out well for defendant's in murder trials.
What is the matter, do you believe you are owed an explanation by Chauvin? Well, you aren't.

OTOH, of course Chauvin wont testify...he's praying for some loser to believe his cruel depravity was 'acceptable.'

You really have a lot of disdain for our system. If Chauvin is acquitted, then that too will be justice served.

He should not have restrained GF long enough for him to need CPR. It was obviously deliberate.

This case is about what occured on the day Floyd died. Whatever Chauvin's performance as a cop may have been, his department kept him employed, so clearly he was still in their eyes suitable for the job. But do we want to bring in GFs criminal history into the trial to demonstrate what kind of loser thug the Cup Store manager called the police out to help him with?
Has nothing to do with him testifying. Except reasons why he wont. And the fact that we are trying to make an example here...get pieces of shit like Chauvin who have indicated such behaviors OUT of depts.

Keep vilifying GF, 🤷 bores me. He didnt rate execution...that's what we know.

Not mercy, but the jury is the trier of fact. Putting a defendant on the stand is always a risk that he may not come off sympathetic enough.
Yes, we've already agreed on that...and we know this one wont. But I'd love to hear him try. And he does deserve his day in court...so why not speak up? Let's hear him justify his actions. Who else will?

And forcing him to describe the concerns he had over a violent resisting man now dead, doesn't sound good.
I'm sure you're right! It would 100% oppose what we all saw on video...he'd have a tough time overcoming it. Didnt you say it didnt matter worth a damn anyway, since you feel he's justified in his feelings and we dont pay him to give a shit about 'such people?'

Yeah, and that never works out well for defendant's in murder trials.
As stated, that's why lawyers almost always recommend they dont testify. Chauvin does have a history that would be best suppressed.

What is the matter, do you believe you are owed an explanation by Chauvin? Well, you aren't.
Not sure why you got that impression. He doesnt owe me an explanation and if he chooses not to give one, I'm pretty sure I'm understanding him and his actions without it.

You really have a lot of disdain for our system. If Chauvin is acquitted, then that too will be justice served.
The system where if it's not on video and 100% black and white, cops are rarely held accountable for harming suspects...yup for sure. And GF's murder is a watershed event on that.

If Chauvin is acquitted, it will be fact but not justice. At minimum he displayed depraved indifference in his treatment of GF and should be held accountable for that. I hope he is...in many years of jail time. The casual attitude he displayed as he killed GF needs to be held up for what it is for all cops to understand...that shit is wrong and if you do it, you are no better than the criminals you chase.

He should not have restrained GF long enough for him to need CPR. It was obviously deliberate.

He made a mistake.

The guy has arrested hundreds of black and white suspects.

To claim that he is racist is itself a racist claim, as there is absolutely no proof at all that the cop acted in a racist manner.

He just stuffed up...as did the black cop (Mohamed Noor) who shot and killed Justine Diamond from my country.

Of course, the huge fuss over Floyd when compared to Diamond is because Floyd is black and Diamond was white.

He made a mistake.

The guy has arrested hundreds of black and white suspects.

To claim that he is racist is itself a racist claim, as there is absolutely no proof at all that the cop acted in a racist manner.

He just stuffed up...as did the black cop (Mohamed Noor) who shot and killed Justine Diamond from my country.

Of course, the huge fuss over Floyd when compared to Diamond is because Floyd is black and Diamond was white.

I'll never forget that one.

Justine Diamond approached the police car in her pajamas to let them know she was the caller. She startled the cops when she either tapped on the window or the fender to get their attention.

Noor shot her anyways after his partner had already reasoned that she wasn't a threat.

Although racism most likely was a factor in Derek Chauvin's stupid decision to suffocate George Floyd, everyone needs to remember criminal trials are all about the objective facts presented by witnesses, lawyers, and defendants. Racism is subjective and does not affect the verdict. Either he is or he is not guilty or killing George Floyd These articles are reminders this criminal case is only about the video and autopsies, not Chauvin being a racist.
*Correction: Derek Chauvin knelt on George Floyd almost, not more than, nine minutes.

I've heard differing numbers on how long Chauvin knelt on Floyd's neck. From 7:46 up to 9:49 minutes. At two minutes of restricted airway, you lose consciousness. At five you die.

Last edited:

1617835149888.png

This trial has implications for our society beyond a verdict. A guilty verdict won’t immediately change the racist nature of our country and a not guilty verdict won’t exonerate Chauvin.

Back
Top Bottom