• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

• Less than 1%

• 1-5%

• 5-10%

• 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70%+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Atheist in America want to force a theocracy. Freedom from religion, freedom from responsibility.......
What you assert here is logically impossible and is self contradictory.

theocracy

political system

theocracy, government by divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. In many theocracies, government leaders are members of the clergy, and the state’s legal system is based on religious law. Theocratic rule was typical of early civilizations. The Enlightenment marked the end of theocracy in most Western countries. Contemporary examples of theocracies include Saudi Arabia, Iran, and the Vatican. See also church and state; sacred kingship.

How many Americans, would you say, want to abolish what the Founders began and put priests/preachers/reverends and religious laws in place? Please vote and cite any evidence to support your opinion.

Also -- if America ever did become a theocracy, what would have to occur to make that happen? Would you fight back against it or support it or be neutral? What laws do you think would be removed/added? Would we still vote? What would schools look like?
So it seems the minority once again will be pushing onto the majority something they don't want. I also believe some governors pass into law things the majority of the stated doesn't want but since they control the legislature, have at it.

theocracy

political system

theocracy, government by divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. In many theocracies, government leaders are members of the clergy, and the state’s legal system is based on religious law. Theocratic rule was typical of early civilizations. The Enlightenment marked the end of theocracy in most Western countries. Contemporary examples of theocracies include Saudi Arabia, Iran, and the Vatican. See also church and state; sacred kingship.

How many Americans, would you say, want to abolish what the Founders began and put priests/preachers/reverends and religious laws in place? Please vote and cite any evidence to support your opinion.

Also -- if America ever did become a theocracy, what would have to occur to make that happen? Would you fight back against it or support it or be neutral? What laws do you think would be removed/added? Would we still vote? What would schools look like?
This is a bit of an odd question as you are asking us to speculate on our perception of the thinking of the population as a whole. You are not actually getting at what percentage of people would be ok with the theocracy. If I had to guess, and its a wild-ass guess, is that 20-30% of Americans would be ok with a theocracy. Now, if you asked those among us that would be ok with it, depending on how you worded the question, I would guess you would get a 30-40% "yes" response. I vote 'no', however. My response to the post may well illustrate the greased pig you seem to want to try to catch..

About a third to a half according to Pew and depending on the wording. Bear in mind a lot of people would balk at the word theocracy while happily advocating many theocratic elements.

I am actually ok with the Bible influencing laws. I am not ok with a theocracy. I do you interpret that? Morality is always a higher standard than legality. I do not believe we should ever try to legislate morality, that is perverse government, yet Republicans try to do that all the time (case in point, their obsession with abortion)

Last edited:
I'm a practicing Christian, so I cant speak for other religions, but for Christians it goes against God to desire a theocracy.

God gave us all free will to choose to follow Him or not. So 'man's law' forcing people to do so would be denying God's Will.

It's the ultimate arrogance, intended usurpation of God's Authority. It would be an enormous sin. God intended His Children to follow Him by choice, not force.
There you have it.

The same 40-80 mil cry fowl over the idea of Sharia law.
I just wanted to say that. If you put it to those who wish for a theocracy that it may not necessarily be one of Christian rules, most will change their mind.

Atheist in America want to force a theocracy. Freedom from religion, freedom from responsibility.......

.......what.

Do you not understand what a theocracy is?

I just wanted to say that. If you put it to those who wish for a theocracy that it may not necessarily be one of Christian rules, most will change their mind.

But, but, but we're a Christian nation!
~ right wingers probably

theocracy​

noun, plural the·oc·ra·cies.
a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God's or deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities.
a system of government by priests claiming a divine commission.
a commonwealth or state under such a form or system of government.

The number is 15%

I started a thread that started with and have since done quite a bit of research on. I do some volunteer work so the knowledge is helpful, I do sort of have a life. Sorry, not directly on topic

but objectively the percentage is 15. It goes up or down 3% depending on which way the wind is blowing, but this number hasn't changed since 1980.
According to what poll?

So it seems the minority once again will be pushing onto the majority something they don't want. I also believe some governors pass into law things the majority of the stated doesn't want but since they control the legislature, have at it.
There are other minorities who are pushing what others don't agree with, but yes, some states are way over the line.

Anti Religion has become a religion for many. If you are not sufficiently WOKE you are guilty of apostasy.
I realize that's what you religious folks are told, but nothing could be further from the truth

Well, this might be unfair of me, but I'd say that about half of the Trump supporters wouldn't mind his being in office for the rest of his lifetime. I'm basing this on how some of my conservative friends have flat-out told me that.

So, if we say that half the country is conservative and a two thirds of them like Trump, and half of them think he should be our "king," then that would mean . . . let's see . . . roughly 17% of the country want him to be King Donald the First. So, I'll answer the poll that way.

EDIT--I misunderstood the question! I thought we were talking about an autocracy! My apologies! Please ignore this stupid post! I need to learn how to read!
No, you're fine. You're right. Republicans, because they're so weak-minded, need a "daddy" to tell them what to do. They've made trump they're "daddy".

Republicans are also evil and vindictive. Trump was great at trolling Republicans' political enemies, which is probably why they liked him the most.

In the meantime, we've got some issues, and we need responsible leadership. Republicans don't care. They're too weak-minded, short sited and just around stupid to see where they'd take this nation if they could.

I said less than 1%...the world is full of ungodly people...that being said, the day will come when all who are living on the earth will eagerly submit to Theocracy...

'bout 30-40 percent. The fine posters who voted a lot less have (most likely) never lived in the South. A LOT of people in the ignorant South would love to force everybody else to Tow-that Christian-line.
Ah...THEIR Christian line. ..And you better be in Church Sunday..

Freedom from religion is not in the first ammendment.
Yes it is. I cannot be required to abide by any religious doctrine by the Feds, State, or any other government-based entity. Additionally, none of those entities can officially promote any singular religion, or religions generally. And that's all based on CORRECT Supreme Court interpretations of the language in the First Amendment.

What part of this is wrong? Don't be short and trite like the last time. Engage if you believe in your position, don't just wave your flag in my face.

According to what poll?

I've studied polls from Gallup, Rasmussen and YouGov among others that show (1980-present) 15% want all abortion to be illegal, all immigration to be illegal, healthcare to be more restrictive, voting to be more restrictive, etc. 15% back a wide array of overtly unconstitutional measures, but is a congregation of data that I'm citing so you would have to read my thread "Two Thirds of the Country are liberal" and even then it's a matter of deep data analysis. It's very boring to discuss, but you should trust me. I don't mess around.

I've studied polls from Gallup, Rasmussen and YouGov among others that show (1980-present) 15% want all abortion to be illegal, all immigration to be illegal, healthcare to be more restrictive, voting to be more restrictive, etc. 15% back a wide array of overtly unconstitutional measures, but is a congregation of data that I'm citing so you would have to read my thread "Two Thirds of the Country are liberal" and even then it's a matter of deep data analysis. It's very boring to discuss, but you should trust me. I don't mess around.

That doesn't equal a theocracy.

So I suppose in a US theocracy, you'd probably only be allowed to vote if you denounced your other religion (or non-religion) and bowed down to the government's god. Or maybe citizens wouldn't be allowed to vote for their representatives anymore. Would there even be a Congress? Supreme Court?

'bout 30-40 percent. The fine posters who voted a lot less have (most likely) never lived in the South. A LOT of people in the ignorant South would love to force everybody else to Tow-that Christian-line.
Ah...THEIR Christian line. ..And you better be in Church Sunday..
This is not entirely true. These people want a restrictive government influenced by religion but they aren't 100% of the theocracy train

Half of Americans say Bible should influence U.S. laws, including 28% who favor it over the will of the people

Back
Top Bottom