• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

• Less than 1%

• 1-5%

• 5-10%

• 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70%+

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Bible has influenced US laws since the beginning of the country. That's not a theocracy. A theocracy is a government made up of religious leaders establishing a nation-wide religion and laws created the coincide with that religion. For example, if we had a Christian theocracy, the government might have laws that say everyone must attend church services on Sunday morning. If you have sex outside of marriage, you could be jailed. If you speak out against Christianity, you could be imprisoned until you comply. A Christian theocracy would probably remove any other religion from the country - mosques, synagogues, etc. Every public school would be a Christian school. Any TV shows, movies that made fun of Christianity would be banned.

Making strict abortion laws in a democratic republic isn't theocracy.

The Bible has influenced US laws since the beginning of the country. That's not a theocracy. A theocracy is a government made up of religious leaders establishing a nation-wide religion and laws created the coincide with that religion. For example, if we had a Christian theocracy, the government might have laws that say everyone must attend church services on Sunday morning. If you have sex outside of marriage, you could be jailed. If you speak out against Christianity, you could be imprisoned until you comply. A Christian theocracy would probably remove any other religion from the country - mosques, synagogues, etc. Every public school would be a Christian school. Any TV shows, movies that made fun of Christianity would be banned.

Half of Americans say Bible should influence U.S. laws, including 28% who favor it over the will of the people

I'm telling you again, trust me. I am not going to write a 10,000 word essay. People should have a discussion about this subject, I am just relaying information I think is important. You can choose not to believe it, but it's true. 15% want straight up theocracy.

I've studied polls from Gallup, Rasmussen and YouGov among others that show (1980-present) 15% want all abortion to be illegal, all immigration to be illegal, healthcare to be more restrictive, voting to be more restrictive, etc. 15% back a wide array of overtly unconstitutional measures, but is a congregation of data that I'm citing so you would have to read my thread "Two Thirds of the Country are liberal" and even then it's a matter of deep data analysis. It's very boring to discuss, but you should trust me. I don't mess around.
I wasn’t doubting you-just curious which poll (s) you cited.

How exactly has the Bible influenced laws here?

You don't know what a theocracy is, or have fundamental misconceptions. Look up theocracies already existing and you'll see that this post is 100% factually incorrect

I wasn’t doubting you-just curious which poll (s) you cited.

Thousands. Pew research, gallup, rasmussen. Name an issue and I'll give you my data. The topics I cover in the thread are:
health care
immigration
taxation
gun ownership
voting rights
civil rights
education

Surely others, those are the main ones that come to mind. The title "Two Thirds of Americans are liberal" is not really accurate, because you have to define "liberal." It's totally clickbait, I wanted people to read the thread. The accurate and boring statement is "Two thirds of americans are progressive-leaning centrists who almost entirely disagree with every facet of the modern GOP's platform." We have inverse representation. It's a great topic but talking statistics is very very boring.

How exactly has the Bible influenced laws here?

Pretty common knowledge.

You don't know what a theocracy is, or have fundamental misconceptions. Look up theocracies already existing and you'll see that this post is 100% factually incorrect

I do know. We live in a democratic republic. Creating a law that you disagree with doesn't make that government a theocracy. It takes much more than that for the US to become a theocratic nation.

Do you think the US was a theocracy under the Founders? They talked about the Bible and God all of the time.

theocracy

political system

theocracy, government by divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. In many theocracies, government leaders are members of the clergy, and the state’s legal system is based on religious law. Theocratic rule was typical of early civilizations. The Enlightenment marked the end of theocracy in most Western countries. Contemporary examples of theocracies include Saudi Arabia, Iran, and the Vatican. See also church and state; sacred kingship.

How many Americans, would you say, want to abolish what the Founders began and put priests/preachers/reverends and religious laws in place? Please vote and cite any evidence to support your opinion.

Also -- if America ever did become a theocracy, what would have to occur to make that happen? Would you fight back against it or support it or be neutral? What laws do you think would be removed/added? Would we still vote? What would schools look like?

....over my dead body.
Ship the theocrats to Saudi Arabia.

I agree, for the same reason. And frankly, that's a frightening threat to our democracy that 40-80 million Americans are in favor of such a thing.
Especially since it's beginning to look like a fair number of that minority have a lot of money that is more than welcome under Citizens United.
These days it is MONEY that determines the outcome, not a preponderance of opposing votes, because in too many cases, the opposition isn't even allowed to bring anything to the floor.

Pretty common knowledge.

Thanks
The first link is behind a pay wall; the second is partly behind a pay wall. The third accurately notes that officials are frequently required to take an oath of office but as for the rest of it (I didn’t read all of it yet) postulates that the constitution is based on biblical principles but imo it’s a stretch. Imo it’s based on creating a fair government based on common sense. Certainly, as it mentions, the Puritans enacted rules based on the Bible but those laws no longer exist.

I do know. We live in a democratic republic. Creating a law that you disagree with doesn't make that government a theocracy. It takes much more than that for the US to become a theocratic nation.

Do you think the US was a theocracy under the Founders? They talked about the Bible and God all of the time.

This is more or less accurate and of course the US has not ever been a theocracy. But the key point you're missing is that theocracies are authoritarian governments which embrace a belief system as the basis for their laws.

In a christian theocracy it's very plausible abortion would remain legal in some or many instances. There is always an intermediary between God (the supposed head of state in a theocracy) and the people.

No, creating a law that you disagree with doesn't make that government a theocracy. That is correct. But it is how the transition begins and grows. It does not occur instantaneously.

Religion (all and every) should not in any way receive favoritism or support by any government, local, state or federal. <== There is the solution.

It is that simple. Try floating that concept across America. We all know such a proposal would meet with a mass of opposition.

How many times is god mentioned in the constitution?

Sorry that's not fair, The answer is 0

I am just guessing.

How many different possible theocracies are there?

Freedom from religion is not in the first ammendment.
Yes it is & it is so important that it is the very first part of the first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As the very first part of the first amendment, it is the MOST important constitutional right from the Bill of Rights that Americans have.

I'd prefer to think it's less than 1%, but fear it's much closer to the 20-30% range.

Far too many evangelical nutters out there. Far too many.

Well, this might be unfair of me, but I'd say that about half of the Trump supporters wouldn't mind his being in office for the rest of his lifetime. I'm basing this on how some of my conservative friends have flat-out told me that.

So, if we say that half the country is conservative and a two thirds of them like Trump, and half of them think he should be our "king," then that would mean . . . let's see . . . roughly 17% of the country want him to be King Donald the First. So, I'll answer the poll that way.

EDIT--I misunderstood the question! I thought we were talking about an autocracy! My apologies! Please ignore this stupid post! I need to learn how to read!
I'm a huge Trump fan (policy-wise) and don't want him as President forever. In fact, I'm undecided about him in 2024.

I look at abortion. This is a Christian issue. Neither Muslims nor Jews have a religious take on abortion. The majority of Americans are in favor of some abortion rights. Yet, Christians have used their influence to make abortion an issue and have kept it an active issue for some 50 years.

They got a President who, if anyone cared what the founders thought, should have had two Supreme Court picks. He had three. They held enough influence over that President to ensure the picks were ant-abortion.

State governments all over the country cater to the personal religious beliefs that either elected officials hold , or their voters hold. They enact laws that will surely make it to the Christian leaning, Supreme Court.

To answer the poll 'What Percentage of Americans Want A Theocracy", I say 20-30%, actions speak louder than words.

It is a shame how much sway 20-30% of voters hold over the direction of the Country.

I'd prefer to think it's less than 1%, but fear it's much closer to the 20-30% range.

Far too many evangelical nutters out there. Far too many.
These supposed "nutters" are not any more zealous than your environmentalist whackos, who pray to Mother Earth. And there's way more of them, since Biden is trying to implement the Green New Deal, and not a govt run by God. But you don't have to worry about us installing a theocratic govt, worry about what God will do; because he tells us in the Bible how it will happen. Everything that's happening now is prophesied in the Bible.

Is this poll a contest? Guess the correct percentage and win a prize.

Back
Top Bottom