• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

• Less than 1%

• 1-5%

• 5-10%

• 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70%+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is this poll a contest? Guess the correct percentage and win a prize.
Yes, hellscape where people dictate how you act in public and may publicly execute you for missing church.

A lot of people worship their culture and mistake that culture for Jesus.
There are those who have complex, vain religions, but the Bible tell us what it is.

James 1:27 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

I don't know any Christians who claim to fulfill this perfectly, and it's clear that we can't; and for that Jesus died and rose. If we confess our imperfections to God, he makes them perfect through his grace. We are all flawed.

Yes, hellscape where people dictate how you act in public and may publicly execute you for missing church.
And you've personally seen that happen in America?

Half of Americans say Bible should influence U.S. laws, including 28% who favor it over the will of the people

I'm telling you again, trust me. I am not going to write a 10,000 word essay. People should have a discussion about this subject, I am just relaying information I think is important. You can choose not to believe it, but it's true. 15% want straight up theocracy.
Trouble is, you really don't know what the WILL of the people is. You just think you do. And I don't trust you, for good reason.

Thanks
The first link is behind a pay wall; the second is partly behind a pay wall. The third accurately notes that officials are frequently required to take an oath of office but as for the rest of it (I didn’t read all of it yet) postulates that the constitution is based on biblical principles but imo it’s a stretch. Imo it’s based on creating a fair government based on common sense. Certainly, as it mentions, the Puritans enacted rules based on the Bible but those laws no longer exist.

Seems like a weird thing to deny when it’s basic American history. Do you think religion had ZERO influence over the founding fathers?

I was raised Catholic. I always found it rather "amusing" (for lack of a better word) seeing some people who would go to Mass every Sunday, then go home and beat their wives. Then I would turn around and see others volunteer at soup kitchens, decide not to go to Mass, and they were treated worse than the people who went to Mass and then beat their wives.

I've told the story before how we were told over the phone by the priest at the time that we were no long welcome at that parish, because we had not given to the Church un over a year (due to my family moving down to one income when my parents got divorced).

In MY experience, the ones who argue vehemently for a theocracy are the most hypocritical people around. I do believe in God, but I do not believe that the way to Heaven includes a weekly appointment with people who knowingly cover up child abuse (look up my old diocese, the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese).

Anybody who wants a theocracy should be forced to live under a religion they like the least.

Last edited:
Anybody who wants a theocracy should be forced to live in a theocracy under a religion they like the least.
“Broaden their horizons?”

I didn’t say it was.

You repeatedly stressed how the founding fathers "talked about god" a lot and that religion played a key role in forming our laws.

It's the opposite. 0 mentions of god in the constitution for the very reason the separation of church and state is established. Law free from religion, religion free from law. Locke - magna carta - constitution. It's history 101 and you're bastardizing it with christian revisionism. And you're "just suggesting" and "only mentioning" because you can't make a concrete claim or you'll have to admit you have no facts on your side. It's enlightenment versus the dark ages, pick a side.

You repeatedly stressed how the founding fathers "talked about god" a lot and that religion played a key role in forming our laws.

It's the opposite. 0 mentions of god in the constitution for the very reason the separation of church and state is established. Law free from religion, religion free from law. Locke - magna carta - constitution. It's history 101 and you're bastardizing it with christian revisionism. And you're "just suggesting" and "only mentioning" because you can't make a concrete claim or you'll have to admit you have no facts on your side. It's enlightenment versus the dark ages, pick a side.

Again, I never said that God was part of the Constitution so I don't know why you keep repeating it. I've already provided several sources for you (and whoever else) to read. Do you honestly think religion had no influence over the Founding Fathers and the creation of America?

Religion played a key role in all Western civilization's cultures, laws and how they govern. This isn't some new breaking story. Religion having influence over a culture, government, laws, etc. doesn't mean that government is a theocracy.

Tbh, I'm scratching my head wondering if I failed to make myself clear with the question I asked. I have no idea what the percentage of people wanting a theocracy is. The poll seems to be asking us to guess the answer. 🤷‍♂️

Tbh, I'm scratching my head wondering if I failed to make myself clear with the question I asked. I have no idea what the percentage of people wanting a theocracy is. The poll seems to be asking us to guess the answer. 🤷‍♂️
I was being a bit tongue in cheek and also not. Generally when religious fanatics take over, you get into a situation like Europe was before the diaspora of the fundamentalists to US soil.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek and also not. Generally when religious fanatics take over, you get into a situation like Europe was before the diaspora of the fundamentalists to US soil.
Idk, but it seems that it's the "religious fanatics" who get to decide who the "religious fanatics" are.

Seems like a weird thing to deny when it’s basic American history. Do you think religion had ZERO influence over the founding fathers?
I didn't say religion had zero influence, but I think it was minimal. I think its a stretch to say, for example, that murder is illegal because the bible says "you shall not kill". I think that the founding fathers set up a government that explicitly stated that there was a clear separation of church and state. And I am glad for it. I don't want somebody's religious beliefs dictating law in the country. For example, I don't want discrimination against LGBT people codified in law because the bible says its "wrong", and I don't favor the bible influencing a woman's right to choose.

Again, I never said that God was part of the Constitution so I don't know why you keep repeating it. I've already provided several sources for you (and whoever else) to read. Do you honestly think religion had no influence over the Founding Fathers and the creation of America?

Religion played a key role in all Western civilization's cultures, laws and how they govern. This isn't some new breaking story. Religion having influence over a culture, government, laws, etc. doesn't mean that government is a theocracy.
So the problem I have with what you’re saying - other than it being Christian propaganda - is that the constitution IS the law. So god literally had no influence on all law. All federal law. States instituted law inspired by religion just like they had law inspired by racism. Fundamentally unconstitutional in concept. Look at Texas. They’re “inspired by religion” and now you can go to prison for having a miscarriage. Before you respond google that.

I didn't say religion had zero influence, but I think it was minimal. I think its a stretch to say, for example, that murder is illegal because the bible says "you shall not kill". I think that the founding fathers set up a government that explicitly stated that there was a clear separation of church and state. And I am glad for it. I don't want somebody's religious beliefs dictating law in the country. For example, I don't want discrimination against LGBT people codified in law because the bible says its "wrong", and I don't favor the bible influencing a woman's right to choose.
This is a nice way of making my point. The difference is my ancestors + 6 million more were killed inspired by Christian influenced laws. Again, read a hitler speech and then respond. (Not you, good citizen, the op)

So if you’re not saying god is in the constitution and you’re saying it’s basic history that religion inspired law, how do you reconcile those two facts?

Yes and no. There were many founding fathers and for some it was an inspiration and for others getting away from religion was an inspiration. They found something they could all live with.

I don't know what percentage of American actively want a Theocracy. However I think a quite large percentage of America would happily embrace a Theocracy if it aligned with their agendas. The fear millions of Americans have about Gay marriage, transgender people, Abortions etc has deep roots in what they hear in Church on Sundays.

So I would like to change your mind because you seem like a very nice person, hopefully you are reasonable. You did not say the constitution mentions god, so bottom line - we should never pass legislation motivated rooted in Christian teaching. Ever. The founding fathers were influenced by religion in that they realized that law and religion coinciding amounted to tyranny. It’s the most harmful possible use of religion - to create a law because “the bible tells me so” - is forcing your religion on me. Why is that ok? Hitler said that Germany must become great again and band together to retake their nation with the guidance of Christian values, keep the immigrants out and defeat communism.

Sound familiar? Having laws “influenced by religion” does not equal a theocracy, it is, however, the antithesis of enlightened thought and the language of oppression. If the country is 51% atheist should we regulate church donations? Should we only recognize Christian teachings that one political party supports when Matt gaetz isn’t even facing an ethics investigation for having sex with a minor and trying to bribe roger stone $250,000 for a guaranteed pardon?

What’s the logic here? Can we stop and really think about this instead of bringing our belief system into it? I don’t think people should go to prison for what I consider to be wrong. And I think the founding fathers would agree 100%

Back
Top Bottom