• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the most likely reason for abortions being at an all time low?

What is the most likely reason for abortions being at an all time low?

• Total voters
expanding use of birth control is almost certainly the reason.

as i've argued before, i would prefer that birth control be opt out rather than opt in. nobody wants to have a kid before they want to have a kid. if people have objections to their kid being put on birth control at puberty, it should be as simple as checking a box to opt out. abortion prevalence would drop precipitously if this was the status quo.

1. This is not a surprise. Abortion rates have been decreasing by more than a decade, as have (broadly) other forms of violence in the U.S.

2. Over the same time period, those identifying as pro-life have increased as a portion of the populace, and the rising generation is more pro-life than their parents.

1. This is not a surprise. Abortion rates have been decreasing by more than a decade, as have (broadly) other forms of violence in the U.S.

2. Over the same time period, those identifying as pro-life have increased as a portion of the populace, and the rising generation is more pro-life than their parents.

So you do not think that availability and access to reliable and longer acting birth control is not a major or predominant factor?

Surprise! The abortion rate just hit an all-time low.

I am really curious why people think that the abortion rate is at a low.

I understand it may be a mix of reasons, but I think that there is a predominant reason.
The abortion rate is simply not at an all-time low.

Instead it is at an all-time high.

Why?

Because "abortion" isn't just surgical (the lmits of the OP link), it's also chemical.

Chemical abortions using the morning-after pill and the like have greatly increased.

Abortion is the aborting of the life of a newly conceived human.

That is the fundamental foundational reality in the abortion conflict, not the manner in which the abortion is performed.

Pro-choicers play semantics games in denying this reality, feigning that they don't grasp why there is such a conflict about the morning-after pill and the like in addition to the surgical procedure.

This article isn't news.

It's simply the same old, same old liberal media denial of obvious realities spun to fool people for their ideological agenda's benefit.

You think the morning after pill induces an abortion?

Please explain.

Why?

Because "abortion" isn't just surgical (the lmits of the OP link), it's also chemical.

Chemical abortions using the morning-after pill and the like have greatly increased.

That is the fundamental foundational reality in the abortion conflict, not the manner in which the abortion is performed.

Pro-choicers play semantics games in denying this reality, feigning that they don't grasp why there is such a conflict about the morning-after pill and the like in addition to the surgical procedure.

This article isn't news.

It's simply the same old, same old liberal media denial of obvious realities spun to fool people for their ideological agenda's benefit.

In addition to the FACT that the morning after pill is not an abortion....I have found that chemical abortions (RU-486 and such) ARE included in abortion statistics. They comprise 17 % of nonhospital abortions.

In addition to the FACT that the morning after pill is not an abortion....
To the left of your post under "Lean" it reads "Progressive", which is just a pretty word for "liberal", in this case, a sugar-coating for the word "pro-choice ideologue".

Thus I would simply expect you to be in denial about the reality that any chemical taken to abort the life of the newly conceived human is most certainly an abortion, a chemical abortion.

I have found that chemical abortions (RU-486 and such) ARE included in abortion statistics. They comprise 17 % of nonhospital abortions.
And here you turn around and betray your ideological self by using the term "chemical abortions" and including the morning-after pill-types in that category, after you just denied that such are abortions. :roll:

However, it's your "I have found" lead-in that reveals that you are perfectly aware that this particular OP link did not look at chemical abortions from the morning-after pills and the like, but only took into consideration the surgical abortions.

Thus my previous presentation that this OP link does not at all validate that abortion is at an all time low, stands as accurate, as one simply cannot accurately draw the conclusion that abortion is at an all time low by looking only at surgical abortions as the OP link did, but must also logically include all chemical abortions in that analysis as well, which then reveals abortion is at an all-time high.

You think the morning after pill induces an abortion?

Please explain.
It's obvious.

And I've just alluded to the nature of it as well.

If you need more than that then either you need to do some relevant reading or deal with denial.

Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States

Back up your assertion that the morning after pill is an abortion, please. This is not about bias, it is about scientific fact.

So if you read the above link, you will see that chemical abortions are in those numbers. They comprise 17 % of the non hospital abortions.

So yes, the numbers have gone down. Even with the availability of chemical abortions . One would assume that chemical abortions may lead to an upswing in abortion numbers because of possible perceived ease of procedure.

This is not about word games. It is about facts and you are the one playing fast and loose to suit your argument.

I still have a hard time believing you did not know that the purpose of a morning after pill was not abortion.

Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States

Thus my previous presentation that this OP link does not at all validate that abortion is at an all time low, stands as accurate, as one simply cannot accurately draw the conclusion that abortion is at an all time low by looking only at surgical abortions as the OP link did, but must also logically include all chemical abortions in that analysis as well, which then reveals abortion is at an all-time high.

Yeah, so lets just get rid of morning after pills and increase the number of unwanted pregnancies :roll:

Yeah, so lets just get rid of morning after pills and increase the number of unwanted pregnancies :roll:

I'm sure young men everywhere would thank you, as their lives and hopes for the future get derailed.

It's obvious.

And I've just alluded to the nature of it as well.

If you need more than that then either you need to do some relevant reading or deal with denial.

There is nothing to "allude" to. State science fact, not science fiction.

So you do not think that availability and access to reliable and longer acting birth control is not a major or predominant factor?

:shrug: I would say it may play a role - but I do not see where access to birth control in 2011 is dramatically inreased vice (for example) 2000 or 1995 to be the predominant factor in the reduction of abortion over that time period. The spread of the use of birth control has been both positively and negatively correlated with incidence of abortion, leading me to suspect those who blithely claim a unique one-to-one relationship.

Aaaand that's about all we need to hear from you on the subject. Thanks for playing :2wave:

Aaaand that's about all we need to hear from you on the subject. Thanks for playing :2wave:

Can you imagine that kind of trash being told to a rape victim? "Do you want the morning after pill for your abortion?"

Good Lord.

Why?

This article isn't news.

It is not a "semantic game" to deny any moral consequence to the termination of a zygote or blastocyst.

Can you imagine that kind of trash being told to a rape victim? "Do you want the morning after pill for your abortion?"

Good Lord.

If we're calling birth control abortion, then I guess I take an abortion pill every day! I've had approximately 2,500 abortions in the 7 years I've been on the pill. :doh

avg-age-first-time-mothers.jpg

I bet the abortion rate was actually lower for most of human history.

Reasons for declining abortions rates:

1) birth control - availability
2) social acceptance of birth control
3) parents these days understanding reality and putting kids on birth control (parents not living in denial or fantasy world)
4) better sex education classes

I've posted numerous times now that the pro-life people would be far more productive in reducing abortions if they spent their time promoting better and more comprehensive sex education in schools, and less time preaching abstinence. The pro-life group needs to be far more pro-active than reactive.

An interesting idea might also be that there are less abortions because of STD's.
Fear of STD's might be prompting more use of condoms.

3) parents these days understanding reality and putting kids on birth control (parents not living in denial or fantasy world)

I've posted numerous times now that the pro-life people would be far more productive in reducing abortions if they spent their time promoting better and more comprehensive sex education in schools, and less time preaching abstinence. The pro-life group needs to be far more pro-active than reactive.

An interesting idea might also be that there are less abortions because of STD's.

I agree.

A privately funded study that showed given the long term birth control option, women will choose it.

Just think how much we could lower the abortion rate if this kind of program was available to all fertile women in our country.
Unintended pregnancies continue to be an issue in many areas of the U.S., the authors noted. "U.S. taxpayers pay approximately $11 billion annually in costs associated with 1 million unintended births," they wrote, adding that the U.S.'s unintended pregnancy rate is "significantly higher than in other developed countries."

So Peipert and colleagues designed a prospective cohort -- the Contraceptive CHOICE Project --
"to promote the use of the most effective contraceptive methods (intrauterine devices [IUDs] and implants) and provide contraception at no cost to 10,000 female participants" in the St. Louis region who were at risk for unintended pregnancy "in an effort to reduce unintended pregnancies."

The study measured teen birth rates and percentages of repeat abortions in a population of 9,256 females ages 14 to 45 (mean age 25) recruited at two abortion facilities in the St. Louis region and through healthcare provider referral, advertisements, and word of mouth, and compared these data against regional and national statistics from 2008 to 2010.

The study population was 51% black, 35% had a high school or less education, 37% lived on public assistance, 39% had difficulty paying for basic expenses, and 63% had a prior unintended pregnancy, they wrote.

Participants desired a LARC and were not currently using one or were willing to switch to a new LARC, had no desire for pregnancy for at least 12 months, planned to be sexually active with a male partner within 6 months of baseline, and spoke English or Spanish.

The women and teens received the reversible contraceptive method of their choice at no cost for 3 years in the first 5,090 participants, and 2 years for the remaining patients. Patients could continue their LARC method after the study conclusion, but would no longer be given free treatment or be offered a free alternative contraceptive.
< SNIP>

Compared with regional and national data,
St. Louis adolescents and women given free long-acting reversible contraceptive (LARC) methods
had nearly four times fewer abortions --
a proxy measure of unintended pregnancies --
than the regional rate (4.4 versus 17.0 per 1,000 women),
and nearly five times fewer abortions than the national rate
(4.4 versus 19.6 per 1,000 women) in 2008 (P<0.001 for both), according to Jeffrey Peipert, PhD, and colleagues.

Study: Free Contraceptives Slash Abortion Rates

Yes to all these points.

And yes, the fact that STDs became at best a lifelong struggle and at worst a death sentence clearly helped condom use .

Surprise! The abortion rate just hit an all-time low.

I am really curious why people think that the abortion rate is at a low.

I understand it may be a mix of reasons, but I think that there is a predominant reason.

Social attitudes have changed toward pregnancy and children - overall stats of teen and unplanned births are down - and the attitude about being an unwed mother is relaxing, so at the same time, some women who would have opted for abortion are now opting for single motherhood while being supported by the government.

Why?

This article isn't news.

That makes no sense - taking a precaution doesn't mean you've ended a pregnancy...aside that they DO include that number in the statistics, each MA pill does NOT represent one pregnancy - and apparently you think it does.

Most women, like me, have taken it as a paranoid precaution. I did so after I had my tubal done and my husband came home 2 weeks later. It was too close for my comfort, so we used several forms of protection, including the MA pill. I don't believe I was ever actually pregnant, though.

The morning after pill Plan B has only progesterone in it.

Progesterone naturally occurs in a woman's body.
Progesterone is needed for a fertilized egg to implant in the womb.
It is also needed to continue a pregnancy.
Doctors give women who have high chance of miscarriages or
IVF progesterone to help keep the women from miscarrying.

Progesterone does not harm a fetus.

Plan B does not hurt a fetus if the woman is already pregnant.

Plan B if taken soon enough can delay ovulation.

My guess is demographics, same reason the crime rate is down.

Back
Top Bottom