• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the most likely reason for abortions being at an all time low?

What is the most likely reason for abortions being at an all time low?

• Total voters
One word? Secularization.

As more poor uneducated women become less religious in communities of poor women of all races that are usually strongly religious they tend to use more condoms and more birth control pills which reduces unwanted pregnancies.

The chart in the link you posted in the OP spoke of "abortion performed". Procedures "performed" aren't usually defined or don't usually include, to my understanding, simple administration of medicine.

Induced Abortion in the United States

By the way, it is not just "giving somebody a pill". There is an entire process that is followed. Medical abortions at Planned Parenthood can be in the $500 to $800 range similar to surgical abortion.

You don't list it, but is it at all possible that a significant drop in the number of abortions "performed" is related to the advent in recent years of non-procedure forms equivalent to an abortion? Are there any statistics, or is it even possible, to determine the number of pregnancies ended medicinally? How about sales figures for these?

From the CDC

the use of early medical abortion increased 13% from 2009 to 2010 (from 15.2% of abortions in 2009 to 17.2% in 2010);

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6208a1.htm

Even if they are intended to be counted, I doubt they are able to accurately count the amount of morning after pill use. Also, in many states, there are very few facilities that still provide abortions.

Plan B also known as the " morning after pill" does not cause abortions.
It just delays ovulation.

The decrease in abortions has nothing to do with do with the number of abortion clinics.

People waking up from centuries of religious indoctrination to have as many children as they can and to never ever ever use birth control.

Sadly the religions are still perpetrating this horrible breeding procedure in the poorest countries who are the ones worst suited to handle that many children.

In the US and most industrialized countries we have seen the light and fight to keep that light shining bright.

Plan B also known as the " morning after pill" does not cause abortions.
It just delays ovulation.

The decrease in abortions has nothing to do with do with the number of abortion clinics.

I agree, Minnie.

When the scarcity of lawful facilities becomes of factor then so do the reporting system. Even if there are no legal facilities, we know from the days prior to Roe v Wade, the numbers of abortions have been established to be not a substantial number less that after Roe v Wade. Or in terms of what would be considered "Statistical Significance".

In Texas, poor women who can't afford the travel expenses to get abortions several hundred miles away - doesn't mean that they don't get abortions. Texas is a huge state. About 950 miles at the widest point. About 1100 miles from the top to bottom at the farthest points. And a lot of clinics have been closed...FOR NOW. I'm confident that the radical legislators in Texas who have been instrumental in implementing laws based on facility standards rather than abortion rights will see their bad lawmaking get overturned.

One word? Secularization.

As more poor uneducated women become less religious in communities of poor women of all races that are usually strongly religious they tend to use more condoms and more birth control pills which reduces unwanted pregnancies.

Reality does help, Ryan. That's where dogma falls short for anti-choice religions. They need to follow the religions who subscribe to logic and reason when it comes to abortion and birth control. Minnie's posted a large list of religions who do support women's reproductive rights. They certainly exist.

But I do agree that secularization has help promote social agendas like reality sex ed instead of fantasy abstinence classes and programs such as PP, which are necessary in so many ways.

Reality does help, Ryan. That's where dogma falls short for anti-choice religions. They need to follow the religions who subscribe to logic and reason when it comes to abortion and birth control. Minnie's posted a large list of religions who do support women's reproductive rights. They certainly exist.

But I do agree that secularization has help promote social agendas like reality sex ed instead of fantasy abstinence classes and programs such as PP, which are necessary in so many ways.

All religions are relics of ignorance from times past. New religions simply are recreated ignorance.

.... Also, in many states, there are very few facilities that still provide abortions.

From the following:

The rate fell 13 percent between 2008 and 2011, ...

<SNIP>

The number of abortion providers fell 4 percent between 2008 and 2011, and the number of abortion clinics fell by 1 percent.

The researchers noted that the 2008-2011 decline in the abortion rate occurred before tighter limits on abortions were implemented in some states, which means the recent regulations are most likely not the reason for the nationwide decrease.

U.S. Abortion Rate Drops to Lowest Level Since 1973 - Health News and Views - Health.com

Last edited:
All religions are relics of ignorance from times past. New religions simply are recreated ignorance.

Personally, I'm not at all religious. Religions roles, tenets, etc, and their impacts on humanity is a huge subject of which we'd be likely to see a "Warning" posted should we "continue" to wander off very deeply in that particular subject - within this forum. Just saying.

My point was...

I would like to see the religions that don't support women's rights to abandon those tenets, which promote oppressive public policies. It's time to update their ideologies, in my humble opinion.

Minnie...

There's an old saying that I like - and believe in. It's super simple. "Progress - Not Perfection".

In my opinion, we aren't going to wish away abortion, pray it away, or legislate it away. Time and technology will bring an end to the abortion debates. I really believe that.

Now if only pro-life could grasp this perspective and promote the efforts of our scientific communities, governments, and their fellow members to be patient and move toward a technological end (and access to that technology). I think abortion as we know it - will vanish.

Induced Abortion in the United States

By the way, it is not just "giving somebody a pill". There is an entire process that is followed. Medical abortions at Planned Parenthood can be in the $500 to $800 range similar to surgical abortion.

That's fine and thanks for that - my point was that the chart in the OP wasn't clear as to what was included in "abortions performed" and it's still not clear to me. In any event, as I said previously, any reduction in abortions, however defined, is good news regardless of the reasons.

Thanks for that as well. I presume this still doesn't include any pregnancies "terminated" before they started with the morning after pill. My earlier point was that until this past decade or so that option wasn't available and so the number of actual pregnancies was higher and terminations higher as a result compared to today. I guess in a broad sense, that considered "birth control".

Last edited:
Thanks for that as well. I presume this still doesn't include any pregnancies "terminated" before they started with the morning after pill. My earlier point was that until this past decade or so that option wasn't available and so the number of actual pregnancies was higher and terminations higher as a result compared to today. I guess in a broad sense, that considered "birth control".

Yes, plan B works like birth control pills by delaying ovulation so the egg and sperm never meet up. The egg is not fertilized because it arrives too late and the sperm already died off.

Plan B does not keep a fertilized egg from implanting.
Plan B cannot and does not cause an abortion.

Catholic journal says Plan B does not cause abortions

Plan B, the nation’s most widely used emergency contraceptive, works only as a contraceptive and does not cause abortions, according to an article in the January-February issue of Health Progress, the official journal of the Catholic Health Association.

< SNIP>

Reznik wrote that since it takes about a week from an egg’s fertilization to its implantation, the scientific evidence that Plan B treatment is completely ineffective after five days is overwhelming: It works only by preventing fertilization, not by preventing implantation.

Otherwise, she said, the drug would also be found effective from five to 12 days after coitus, because that is the time frame between the last chance for a sperm to fertilize an egg and the time a fertilized egg would implant.
The declining effectiveness of Plan B between 48 and 120 hours after coitus adds to the argument that preventing a fertilized egg from being implanted is not one of its effects, she said.

http://ncronline.org/news/catholic-journal-says-plan-b-does-not-cause-abortions
----------------
Here is an animated science video that explains in simple terms how Plan B works and why it can delay ovulation " the morning after "

It is cute, uses facts in layman's terms and is short ... Less than 3 minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vozr9vHeMo&persist_app=1&app=m

Last edited:

Because of the surge in a number of states shutting down abortion clinics - which has been done under the guise of women's health and safety. The reporting numbers are obviously going to show a lower number of abortions in those states. However, states that haven't reduced facilities have shown a consistent drop in abortions since Roe v Wade.

Here's what is happening in states such as Texas whose legislators have been unscrupulous and lying about their motives for creating laws, which in effect have caused a large number of clinics to shut down. Underground reports have slowly emerged, which show that "chemical abortions" are taking the place of clinically provided medical abortions.

Clinics have served as much needed services. It's inevitable that clinical abortions will eventually shift to primarily pharmaceutical. Why? Because pro-life's self-defeating efforts to make women second class citizens like in the golden days of religion, prior to the Age of Enlightenment.

The need for freedom and self-determination brings out the best in people. Especially women who, since the beginning of humanity, have either been victims of strong-arm mentality by men or by religions who realized long ago that controlling women's reproductive rights perpetuate their existence.

The substantial increase in chemical technologies will probably become profitable enough to encourage large pharm companies (probably more so overseas) to substantially increase production of current chemicals used for abortion and develop better technologies for more effective abortion drugs.

The government can't publicly list personal information about women who have abortions. But they can list statistical data. This statistical data has been used a the primary tool of pro-life advocates to serve as their primary weapon to battle against pro-choice.

However, as pharmaceutical abortions become more and more prevalent the statistical data, which government disseminates will eventually die out. Or at least to the measure that such data has be used to attempt to ban abortion rights will fade away.

When the act of abortion finally becomes what it should be - according to the Constitution - PRIVATE between a woman and her medical provider. And that can and will happen way more rapidly as pharmaceutical abortions emerge. Then not even the government will know anywhere near all of the statistics they currently collect. Therefore religions and anti-abortion groups won't have near the information on how many abortions have happened...and to whom (race, ages, etc).

So maybe shutting down clinics will wind up being the swan song for anti-choice - and not for the reason they have crusaded for. Just the opposite will occur. Women will finally be free of religions, governments, and men trying to control their their reproductive health and roles.

The morning after pill has been around for years - I used it in the 90's.

The abortion rate is simply not at an all-time low.

Instead it is at an all-time high.

Why?

Because "abortion" isn't just surgical (the lmits of the OP link), it's also chemical.

Chemical abortions using the morning-after pill and the like have greatly increased.

Abortion is the aborting of the life of a newly conceived human.

That is the fundamental foundational reality in the abortion conflict, not the manner in which the abortion is performed.

Pro-choicers play semantics games in denying this reality, feigning that they don't grasp why there is such a conflict about the morning-after pill and the like in addition to the surgical procedure.

This article isn't news.

It's simply the same old, same old liberal media denial of obvious realities spun to fool people for their ideological agenda's benefit.

Interesting.

Do you have any data to share that validates this?

Back
Top Bottom