• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the foundation for your moral and political beliefs?

Have you ever asked yourself where your moral and political beliefs come from?
If so, did you ever find an answer that satisfied you?
I know exactly: The Golden Rule.

But...don't think that makes me religious. I'm not. I don't believe in any gods.

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one wants to be treated. Various expressions of this rule can be found in the tenets of most religions and creeds through the ages.[1] It can be considered an ethic of reciprocity in some religions, although different religions treat it differently.

The maxim may appear as a positive or negative injunction governing conduct:
  • Treat others as you would like others to treat you (positive or directive form)[1]
  • Do not treat others in ways that you would not like to be treated (negative or prohibitive form)
  • What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathetic or responsive form)
The idea dates at least to the early Confucian times (551–479 BCE), according to Rushworth Kidder, who identifies the concept appearing prominently in Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and "the rest of the world's major religions".[2] As part of the 1993 "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic", 143 leaders of the world's major faiths endorsed the Golden Rule.[3][4] According to Greg M. Epstein, it is "a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely", but belief in God is not necessary to endorse it.[5] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".[6]

I learned a lot from Aristotle. Both in ethics and politics.

I know exactly where mine came from....my mother! She was widowed at 32 with 4 small kids and no insurance. She struggled to support us and had to accept help from the church. She insisted we get an education and I'll never forget the day I was hired by Bell Canada. She said to me.....thank your lucky stars young lady and don't scew up! She was tough yet kind to everyone she met. She taught us the importance of responsibility, independence, honesty and compassion for others less fortunate. That had formed the basis of my moral and political convictions.

Early years you're typically taught good/bad behavior (if at all). You don't necessarily understand it or get it from a good source.
Then we layer in society to help determine morality.

As you get older, you may use reason to arrive at morality independant of your upbringing and/or society.

As we experience reality, draw conclusions from our feelings and actions and their effect on others.

Game theory can help describe how certain "moral" behaviors come into being. Tit for tat with forgiveness in an iterative dilemma, for example.

Regarding political beliefs, there is an interesting article I read recently that basically says you pick your political party, and then you adopt their positions whether you originally agreed with them or not. The party itself drives belief.
This is basically the "my team" description of political involvement. Us against them. This is how you end up, for example, with an American political party who goes from being against Russia, to being pro-Russia, so they claim.

Last edited:

But...don't think that makes me religious. I'm not. I don't believe in any gods.

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one wants to be treated. Various expressions of this rule can be found in the tenets of most religions and creeds through the ages.[1] It can be considered an ethic of reciprocity in some religions, although different religions treat it differently.​
The maxim may appear as a positive or negative injunction governing conduct:​
  • Treat others as you would like others to treat you (positive or directive form)[1]
  • Do not treat others in ways that you would not like to be treated (negative or prohibitive form)
  • What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathetic or responsive form)
The idea dates at least to the early Confucian times (551–479 BCE), according to Rushworth Kidder, who identifies the concept appearing prominently in Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and "the rest of the world's major religions".[2] As part of the 1993 "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic", 143 leaders of the world's major faiths endorsed the Golden Rule.[3][4] According to Greg M. Epstein, it is "a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely", but belief in God is not necessary to endorse it.[5] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".[6]
The "Golden Rule" was proclaimed by Jesus of Nazareth during his Sermon on the Mount and described by him as the second great commandment. The common English phrasing is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Golden Rule, precept in the Gospel of Matthew (7:12): “In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you. . . .” This rule of conduct is a summary of the Christian's duty to his neighbor and states a fundamental ethical principle.

Here's some other choices if you prefer.

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one wants to be treated. Various expressions of this rule can be found in the tenets of most religions and creeds through the ages.[1] It can be considered an ethic of reciprocity in some religions, although different religions treat it differently.​
The maxim may appear as a positive or negative injunction governing conduct:​
exactly this, learned from my mother and father.

Romans 1:20; "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse."

Logic, logic is the basis of my moral and political beliefs, obvious logic.

Presently my political beliefs are based on money, since the 2017 (and 2002) tax cuts, and that we don't reward bad behavior.

To avoid the lessons of calamity, that is my modus operandus.

Nuclear family and life experience

The "Golden Rule" was proclaimed by Jesus of Nazareth during his Sermon on the Mount and described by him as the second great commandment. The common English phrasing is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Golden Rule, precept in the Gospel of Matthew (7:12): “In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you. . . .” This rule of conduct is a summary of the Christian's duty to his neighbor and states a fundamental ethical principle.

Here's some other choices if you prefer.
The problem is the Golden Rule presumes everybody is exactly alike. A boisterous, extroverted person may love playing loud music all the time. He assumes everyone likes it and cannot understand requests to turn it down.

Answers don't really matter when it comes to existential quandaries.

well morals are factually subjective and vary, they maybe be objective for a person but they are subjective in reality

that said my morals come from my upbringing and natural instinct of my subjective views of right and wrong

politically its easier but its inspired by the same basic principles

first and foremost . . its based on equal rights and freedom, i want us all to have the same rights and freedoms and my country should look out for one another (to a degree)
after that i was taught that i should view every situation like its my own situation and i should always try to put myself in that person's shoes, never quick to judge without the information.

so its simply, if I'm going to have an opinion on say a bill for the blind, i should now the bill understand the bill and look at it from the viewpoint that i am blind, or my spouse or parent or child etc

its a basic treat others how you would want to be treated type deal. . but i always thought that was a little vague and simplistic . . . . void of reality
if i was a murderer or racist or woman beater I'm sure i would WANT to be treated like it was ok or want to be taken easy on . . . but that doesn't really apply in certain situations does it and i wont be treating murderes, racists and woman beaters like its ok

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one wants to be treated.
REALLY? And YOU abide by that principle, right?
wonder_40x40.gif

REALLY? And YOU abide by that principle, right?
View attachment 67414561
Since it was an open ended question, with no strings attached, I did not want to be the first person to publicly state what many of us were thinking when viewing this response. Thanks for helping me out :)

As much as I can.

I have to admit that sometimes I fail and then...I do unto others as they have done to me. I'm not proud of that, but it happens.
SOMETIMES?

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing_1f923.png

Yes. Sometimes.

It's why I dismiss people so much.

I'd rather dismiss those who treat me badly than stoop to their level and treat them likewise.
You DO realize that most of the folks on here have to stoop to your level OR you will dismiss them.

Mine were largely influenced by things my parents taught me. Many of my policy preferences come from looking at what other countries do more effectively than we do. Basically, I want to see society change for the better.

Basic economic principles. That men are generally utility maximizers and will make the best decisions for themselves - not government. And that the most efficient way to allocate resources resulting in the greatest good are mostly free markets. Carry that over to morality - don't **** with me, i won't **** with you and distrust any institution that says it knows better than you whats best for you.

You DO realize that most of the folks on here have to stoop to your level OR you will dismiss them.
yawn...

Guess what...you are dismissed.

I think it comes from multiple sources. Biology and evolution have a lot to do with it. For example, the love and loyalty that a dog can display is really based a lot on how its brain is hardwired. Some animals are like that, and others are like wolves. Their nature is to be violent.

Humans have evolved to be highly social animals. Alone, they are pretty slow, weak, hairless, and without any sharp teeth or claws. Alone, they cannot survive for very long in the wild. What has allowed them to survive and flourish is the ability to work together, care for each other, to have loyalty, love, empathy, and cooperation. so those traits have been absolutely essential to the survival of the human species, and are hardwired into our emotional centers. The specific brain centers involved have even been mapped recently by neuroscientists.

Of course, culture and upbringing have a lot to do with it as well. But there has to be a biological substrate for that to work on. People who do not have such biological substrates, disordered individuals such as psychopaths or narcissists, are famously incapable of therapy, education, or training to fix their personality disorder. They lack the brain centers for sensations such as empathy, in the same way that dyslexic individuals have deficiencies in the parts of their brain involved with reading.

in the past, religion has also played a role. Religion is just societies’ way of traditionally codifying some of these cultural norms, expectations, and ideals with a “God says…” tacked on at the beginning, to give them added section and authority. That was fine at a time when society, and technology, would not change for centuries or millennia on end. But in the modern world, with the multiculturalism and rapidly advancing technologies, religion cannot keep up, and becomes obsolete and stagnant very quickly. So in the modern world it has become more of a liability than a benefit. I don’t think religion has any role to play anymore going forward.

Back
Top Bottom