• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the foundation for your moral and political beliefs?

Explain it, then.
It's line with the teachings of Jesus Christ. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Of course this isn't being utilized right if someone is blaring his music within earshot of dozens of people who don't fire back, as he is "doing unto them" without it being reciprocated. Some people within earshot will not like blaring music, therefore, he is not following the Golden Rule.

See, the noisy asshole doesn't get to dictate the terms of who does what unto whom. If other people don't like his obnoxious music and they are not interested in firing back with loud noises of their own, then he doesn't understand the Golden Rule.

It's line with the teachings of Jesus Christ. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Of course this isn't being utilized right if someone is blaring his music within earshot of dozens of people who don't fire back, as he is "doing unto them" without it being reciprocated. Some people within earshot will not like blaring music, therefore, he is not following the Golden Rule.

See, the noisy asshole doesn't get to dictate the terms of who does what unto whom. If other people don't like his obnoxious music and they are not interested in firing back with loud noises of their own, then he doesn't understand the Golden Rule.
He would like others to do the same.

He would like others to do the same.
Not everybody agrees with what he wants, therefore, he doesn't understand the Golden Rule.

Not everybody agrees with what he wants, therefore, he doesn't understand the Golden Rule.
He does. The golden rule is flawed.
The superior principle is, treat other the way they would like to be treated.

He does. The golden rule is flawed.
The superior principle is, treat other the way they would like to be treated.
That is the understanding of the emotionally stunted, not a normal person's understanding. The Golden Rule is perfect.

What your friend is looking for is an ass kicking.

I just reread Mach's link and still can't get over how good it is. Maybe my interest in how societies evolve is growing stronger because I'm older and have actually witnessed some trends. We are definitely not in Mayberry anymore (and yes, I am well aware of all the bad things that were around back then).
I bet the old people in Mayberry were also amazed at what they had seen evolve over several decades. But they likely couldn't have predicted our present.
Foundations change and I wonder how people will answer the OP question in 100 years.
I'll be gone relatively soon but for some strange reason still ponder life in 2122.
Will the abortion controversy be settled?
Will meat eating be acceptable then? Will California be the first state to ban it?
Will the 2 biggest political parties still be called Democratic and Republican?
How much different will our ever-changing views on tolerance be?
Will slave owner Chief Seattle's statue be tore down?
Will libraries, charities, schools, streets, etc that are named after all presidents prior to 2024 be renamed because they had all been against gay marriage at one point?
Will all things we currently define as corporations be nationalized?
In 2122 how many other things will have revolutionized the lives of future citizens as much as the internet did ours?
Will the George Jetson cars that were supposed to be here in 2000 finally arrive?
Will 100 countries have nuclear weapons?
Is there even such as thing as a foundation in a world that never stays the same?
By the way, I love the song "In the year 2525". I bet all you old timers do too.

I sorta understand this and sorta not.
But if you are saying that you personally are your own foundation, isn't that denying the ethics that you were taught by those who raised you?

What if the ethics that I was taught were to question morality?

Isn't it denying the influence of the Founding Fathers on American culture that influenced you?

They put specific means in the framework of the Constitution to be able to change all that they set forth. They are probably not your best example

Isn't it denying the influence of Christ on all of western civilization?

Thank God I’m an atheist

You may not want them to be foundations but to deny that they are seems like it is denying history.

Not at all. I don’t deny that people have believed in Jesus or that the founding fathers put certain laws that they thought would be best for us. I deny that Jesus and/or his of his followers or the founding fathers were necessarily correct in what the believed.

Have you ever asked yourself where your moral and political beliefs come from?
If so, did you ever find an answer that satisfied you?

From journalists reporting news events viewed through the prism of my Roman Catholic upbringing and the contradictions in its teachings.
I also read the NY Times m-f print edition beginning 52 years ago after attending an RC boy's high school for a year. I paid attention and actively participated in U.S. and world history classes.

I fell asleep each night during high school with the ear piece of my transistor radio, tuned to the Brad Crandall talk radio show in my ear.
I was also influenced by the life example and POV of my Methodist Church raised, Scot immigrant grandmother.

My political grievances are focused on entrenched power. Scape goating and resenting the least powerful is an indication of insecurity and ill informed opinions. I don't need to watch a schizophrenic TV network dedicated to stoking and then soothing white angst.

No Teaneck, NJ police officer has fired a service weapon on duty in 32 years.

Lessons of Teaneck: Town's Journey From Riot ... - NBC News

https://www.nbcnews.com › news › us-news › lessons-t...
Mar 14, 2016 — A protester smashes a Teaneck Police car during protests that followed the shooting death of Phillip Pannell , 16, by officer Gary Spath in ...

A cop shot a Black boy in New Jersey in 1990. It still matters.

https://www.msnbc.com › opinion › msnbc-opinion › c...
Sep 16, 2022 — In 1990, in the seemingly harmonious bedroom neighborhood of Teaneck, New Jersey, a police officer shot and killed 16-year-old Phillip Pannell.

MSNBC doc series on Phillip Pannell shooting - 'Model America'​

https://www.blackfilmandtv.com › tvnews

Sep 17, 2022 — Model America explores the aftermath of a devastating shooting on April 10, 1990 that shattered the facade and exposed deep-rooted divisions.

COLOR LINES - Kirkus Reviews

https://www.kirkusreviews.com › mike-kelly › color-lines
Bergen Record journalist Kelly provides the reader with multifaceted portraits of the teenage victim, Phillip Pannell, the officer, Gary Spath, ..

Kelly | New Phillip Pannell shooting by cop documentary to air

https://www.northjersey.com › mike-kelly › 2022/09/16
Sep 16, 2022 — History can be a friend — and a foe. Can Teaneck cope with a fresh reminder of a controversial police shooting?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom