• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is a "right-wing extremist"?

The Baron

Knight in Shining Armor
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I keep seeing comments in the media, on this board and elsewhere throwing around the label “right-wing extremist”. While I understand the need for some to marginalize a viewpoint instead of debating it, I am left wondering what people must think a “right-wing extremist” is.

I consider myself to be a “traditionalist” and am:

1. Pro-life,
2. Pro 2nd Amendment,
3. for a small government,
4. for a reduction in taxes,
5. for traditional marriage (but support a change in laws for equitable tax rates, etc.),
6. opposed to government interference in health care,
7. for minimal government regulation of business,
8. strict enforcement of immigration laws (including border protection),
9. for Gitmo,
10. opposed to granting terrorist the same Constitutional rights as legitimate Americans,
11. Pro death penalty,
12. for strict interpretation of the Constitution.

This is just a quick-list off the top of my head but hopefully you’ll get the idea.

Is this what you consider a “right-wing” extremist”?

You see the phrase "right wing extremist" brandied alot right now because recently there was a government report on the buildup of militias and right wing groups, on what we should look out for etc. Some normal conservatives got butt hurt about it for no reason and made the stupid accusation that the government/liberals think all conservatives are right wing extremists. I've heard the term come much more often from conservatives bitching and moaning then I have from actual liberals.

To me a right wing extremist is someone who is conservative in nature who threatens or performs a terrorist or violent act in order to instill fear and achieve conservative/supremacist/segregationist/nativist/extreme religious political gains.

Last edited:
You see the phrase "right wing extremist" brandied alot right now because recently there was a government report on the buildup of militias and right wing groups, on what we should look out for etc. Some normal conservatives got butt hurt about it for no reason and made the stupid accusation that the government/liberals think all conservatives are right wing extremists. I've heard the term come much more often from conservatives bitching and moaning then I have from actual liberals.

To me a right wing extremist is anyone who threatens or performs a terrorist or violent act in order to instill fear or to achieve political gains.

so bill ayres is a right wing extremist?

Anyone to the right of David Brooks.

I keep seeing comments in the media, on this board and elsewhere throwing around the label “right-wing extremist”. While I understand the need for some to marginalize a viewpoint instead of debating it, I am left wondering what people must think a “right-wing extremist” is.

I consider myself to be a “traditionalist” and am:

1. Pro-life,
2. Pro 2nd Amendment,
3. for a small government,
4. for a reduction in taxes,
5. for traditional marriage (but support a change in laws for equitable tax rates, etc.),
6. opposed to government interference in health care,
7. for minimal government regulation of business,
8. strict enforcement of immigration laws (including border protection),
9. for Gitmo,
10. opposed to granting terrorist the same Constitutional rights as legitimate Americans,
11. Pro death penalty,
12. for strict interpretation of the Constitution.

This is just a quick-list off the top of my head but hopefully you’ll get the idea.

Is this what you consider a “right-wing” extremist”?

You sound like most Tea Party candidates, who the left labels as extreme. I call you a Great American!

what is funny is that the GOP of today is really not any different than the Reagan era but the libs today are far far more leftwing than the days of Jim Wright or even Bill Clinton. I hear this crap that the GOP is far more rightwing yet on what issues compared to Reagan?

"what is funny is that the GOP of today is really not any different than the Reagan era but the libs today are far far more leftwing than the days of Jim Wright or even Bill Clinton. I hear this crap that the GOP is far more rightwing yet on what issues compared to Reagan?" - TurtleDude

That's what I was thinking.

So how has the right-wing gotten more extreme?

I dont know, I heard somewhere obama has received more death threats than any other president. Probably little things like that make them say those things.

"I dont know, I heard somewhere obama has received more death threats than any other president. Probably little things like that make them say those things." - SE102

And these were all conservatives / traditionalists and not just nut-jobs?

so bill ayres is a right wing extremist?
No, Bill Ayres was a left-wing extremist. Left-wing extremists normally commit property crimes, whereas right-wing extremists normally kill.

Bill Ayres never killed anyone nor did he intend to kill.

I dont know, I heard somewhere obama has received more death threats than any other president. Probably little things like that make them say those things.

No way!

Check out this site. You don't even have to read if you don't feel like it. Scroll down to the pictures.

Death Threats Against Bush at Protests Ignored for Years · zomblog [New Window]
The end result is that more threats to Obama are being reported. After scanning the pictures below of death threats against Bush, ask yourself: Holy cow ...
Death Threats Against Bush at Protests Ignored for Years · zomblog

what is funny is that the GOP of today is really not any different than the Reagan era but the libs today are far far more leftwing than the days of Jim Wright or even Bill Clinton. I hear this crap that the GOP is far more rightwing yet on what issues compared to Reagan?

Reagan?

As in tripled National debt from 900 billion dollars to 2.8 trillion.

That Reagan?

"Reagan?

As in tripled National debt from 900 billion dollars to 2.8 trillion.

That Reagan?"
- hazlnut

Let's see...as I recall, Reagan had a Democratic Congress to deal with and once allowed the government to shut-down rather than sign a rather large spending bill sent to him.

On another occasion, he held a press conference and had the spending bill "wheeled-in" on multiple dolly's to show just how large the spending bill was...and to rub it in Congress' face.

No, Bill Ayres was a left-wing extremist. Left-wing extremists normally commit property crimes, whereas right-wing extremists normally kill.

Left wing Communists sure enough are killers.

One of the speakers will be Larry Grathwohl, a former FBI informant in the Weather Underground who has talked in detail about how Ayers and his wife Bernardine Dohrn specialized in making bombs deliberately designed to kill people with deadly shrapnel. Ayers told Grathwohl that Dohrn planted the bomb that killed McDonnell. And yet Ayers claims they never hurt anybody and didn’t intend to. This is the claim that gets prominent media attention, while Grathwohl’s testimony to the contrary, delivered under oath before grand juries and before a congressional committee, gets mostly ignored or dismissed.
Sep 27, 2010 ... Ayers' fingerprints were found in a Weather Underground bomb factory ... the side of the communist enemy that was killing Americans. ...
Will the Truth Catch Up to Bill Ayers and his Comrades?

"...whereas right-wing extremists normally kill." - pbrauer

"Right-wing extremists" kill?

Wait, I thought the Tea Party was supposed to be about taxes and spending?

Yes... Limited government, low taxes, and stop the exessive spending. That is at the core of the tea party. However 3 or 4 of the tea party candidates running right now also happen to be pretty conservative.

Hold on, same guy, different signs. What's up with that?

IMG_2416small.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

Hold on, same guy, different signs. What's up with that?

IMG_2416small.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

Exactly, the guy was never even arrested. Don't you think if some guy showed up at different protests with signs that threatened Obama he would have been jailed?

Exactly, the guy was never even arrested. Don't you think if some guy showed up at different protests with signs that threatened Obama he would have been jailed?
The posters were horrible, no doubt about it. And the hatred for Bush was palatable. But a majority of the posters were anarcho-fascists, a Libertarian faction and they tend to be trouble makers at all protests.

Nevertheless, the protests were against the Iraq War that killed millions of innocent people and not health insurance which will save millions of lives. There is kind of a major difference in what they were protesting, don't you think? bloody war vs medical insurance? Albeit it seems kind of an oxymoron to threaten violence when protesting for peace. I never really did understand that.

And too, there were huge anti-war protests all over the world and millions were marching and yet the media hardly covered it all. In contrast, the media has saturated us with the tea party protests where less than 80,000 showed up and sometimes even less. A lot less. And the tea party rallies were orchestrated by Freedom Works, and not grassroots like the war protests. So there is something to be said about that, too. Because if the politicians had listened to the war protestors as much as they do the tea partiers, we wouldn't have gone to war and there wouldn't have been all those lives lost and the trillion dollar debt that the right are always whining about.

Last edited:

That was a claim being pushed by a former secret service guy who was trying to sell a book. The actual secret service denied it.

Bit of a bombshell at this morning's Homeland Security Committee hearing:

U.S. Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan dismissed published reports that the level of death threats against President Obama are four times greater than typical threat levels against recent presidents — claiming the current volume of threats is comparable to that under George W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

"It's not [a] 400 percent [increase]," Sullivan said ... "I'm not sure where that number comes from," he said, adding that the number of threats against Obama "are the same level as it has been [against] the last two presidents."

Secret Service: Threat level against Obama no greater than under Bush, Clinton - On Congress - POLITICO.com

Link?

I think Bill Ayres was considered more of an "activist" or a "radical" rather than an extremist. And you're right, the left tend to destroy property in protest of an issue, while the right tend to destroy peoples lives. And that is why some on the right are considered "extremists" as opposed to "activists."

I think some on the left call some on the right, extremists mainly because of their extreme views, such as rounding up illegal immigrants and I've even heard mention of Muslims and putting them into camps. Or using racism as a political ploy to get elected. Or demonizing an entire religion. Or using Bircher propaganda on their show to incite hatred and even violence against the left. Or killing Gays and abortion doctors. Some groups on the right tend to be called "hate groups" because that's all they do is hate other people. Some are called militants because they have extreme unfounded fear of government or that the government is going to take their guns away. They are called extremists because they take their fear and hate to the extreme and it almost always seems to be against a person or group of persons as opposed to real issues such as anti-war or the environment or GLBT and women's rights.

Milita groups threatening the overthrow of the "government".

Anti-abortionist groups attacking and killing buildings/people involved in abortion.

Racist and homophobic groups (for the most part).

Radical religious groups that use the "good book" as a tool for political power so they can push through the word of God in the lives of everyone and hence control the population.

And people on the right who constantly want to change historical fact to have a more "conservative" view and are paranoid that the world is one big left wing conspiracy, both media wise, history wise, education wise and so on. These are almost the most dangerous if you ask me, since they live in a very small world where anything they dont agree with is a "left wing conspiracy" and not the fact that they are just ignorant on the subject or are trying to deflect attention away from past misdeeds of the "right wing" over history. One thing we all know about the right wing.. they cant admit fault at anything. We see this constantly in the US... This recession is Obama's fault and not that of Bush or the right... that kind of partisan idiotic behaviour. Sadly it is spreading to the fringes of right wing politics in Europe too.

I think Bill Ayres was considered more of an "activist" or a "radical" rather than an extremist.

You've got to be ****ting me.

THE DUDE BUILT ****ING BOMBS THAT HE SET OFF AT POLICE STATIONS, THE PENTAGON, AND THE CAPITOL. HIS BUDDIES BLEW THEMSELVES UP WHILE THEY WERE MAKING NAIL BOMBS TO SET OFF AT A MILITARY BALL.

If you think that means he's "more of an activist or a radical than an extremist," then I submit that you don't understand the definitions of those words.

In my opinion an extremist is someone who advocates using violence for political purposes or someone who is sympathetic to that view. (Such as someone who is overly fond of using the tree of liberty quote).

However, saying someone is extreme in their views is not the same thing as saying that they are extremist. Extreme to me means someone who is on the right/left axis yet their views are far outside what my perception of what a normal or typical opinion on the issues are.

The two words are similar and can be confused easily though. (and I am sure I am guilty of using one when I should have used the other)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom