• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is a "right-wing extremist"?

I dont know, I heard somewhere obama has received more death threats than any other president. Probably little things like that make them say those things.

Threats on the President's life increased 400% when Obama took office. The secret service was overwhelmed. There were 30 death threats a day.

Last Dec, they claimed it has leveled off.

"If you think that means he's 'more of an activist or a radical than an extremist,' then I submit that you don't understand the definitions of those words." - RightinNYC

While I share your sentiment, I think Bill Ayers qualifies more as a "terrorist". And as a communist he was as far to the left of the spectrum as you can get.

While I share your sentiment, I think Bill Ayers qualifies more as a "terrorist". And as a communist he was as far to the left of the spectrum as you can get.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Um... that would make him an Anarchist.

"Um... that would make him an Anarchist." - hazlnut

Is anarchy on the left? On the political spectrum moving right to left I wouldn't have expected to find anarchy since it seeks to destroy either the right or left.

Threats on the President's life increased 400% when Obama took office. The secret service was overwhelmed. There were 30 death threats a day.

Last Dec, they claimed it has leveled off.

No, that's not what they claimed.

U.S. Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan dismissed published reports that the level of death threats against President Obama are four times greater than typical threat levels against recent presidents — claiming the current volume of threats is comparable to that under George W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

"It's not [a] 400 percent [increase]," Sullivan said ... "I'm not sure where that number comes from," he said, adding that the number of threats against Obama "are the same level as it has been [against] the last two presidents."

The 400% report came from one guy who was pushing a book. The SS said that it was flat out wrong.

A good example of American "far right" activists are those who created the Southern billboard's advocating armed revolution because they don't get everything they want. Then you also got the neoConfederate traitors.

I'm down here in the South. What billboard's are you talking about?

"what is funny is that the GOP of today is really not any different than the Reagan era but the libs today are far far more leftwing than the days of Jim Wright or even Bill Clinton. I hear this crap that the GOP is far more rightwing yet on what issues compared to Reagan?" - TurtleDude

That's what I was thinking.

So how has the right-wing gotten more extreme?

the GOP/conservative voters have not but the leftwing has gone moonbat crazy and thus that makes the right wing look more extreme to them. Its the dems who have gone far away from the center.

"Well, this is one I saw before from MO." - Technocratic

Extreme? Maybe. But this was the view of our Founding Fathers.

You've got to be ****ting me.

THE DUDE BUILT ****ING BOMBS THAT HE SET OFF AT POLICE STATIONS, THE PENTAGON, AND THE CAPITOL. HIS BUDDIES BLEW THEMSELVES UP WHILE THEY WERE MAKING NAIL BOMBS TO SET OFF AT A MILITARY BALL.

If you think that means he's "more of an activist or a radical than an extremist," then I submit that you don't understand the definitions of those words.
Submit all you want, but Ayers didn't target people, he targeted state symbols to protest against the Vietnam War, mostly statues. The only people killed were the three making the bombs. Ayers was considered an activist because he didn't target people. You can look it up if you like.

Ayers hated the state because of the Vietnam War but he didn't target people. The right wing extremists hate the gubbamint for no good reason and plot to kill people. See the difference?

"Reagan?

As in tripled National debt from 900 billion dollars to 2.8 trillion.

That Reagan?"
- hazlnut

Let's see...as I recall, Reagan had a Democratic Congress to deal with and once allowed the government to shut-down rather than sign a rather large spending bill sent to him.

On another occasion, he held a press conference and had the spending bill "wheeled-in" on multiple dolly's to show just how large the spending bill was...and to rub it in Congress' face.
Well, I recall it was a Republican congress that passed a tax cut for the wealthy that created the largest debt in US history turning the US from the world's largest creditor nation into the worlds largest debtor nation. And then to pay for those tax cuts, that same Republican congress passed the largest payroll tax increase on the middle class in US history and Reagan signed it into law in 1982.

Submit all you want, but Ayers didn't target people, he targeted state symbols to protest against the Vietnam War, mostly statues. The only people killed were the three making the bombs. Ayers was considered an activist because he didn't target people. You can look it up if you like.

Ayers hated the state because of the Vietnam War but he didn't target people. The right wing extremists hate the gubbamint for no good reason and plot to kill people. See the difference?

A guy who blogs about an issue and attends occasional rallies is an activist.

A guy who devotes a substantial part of his time to advocating for his controversial positions is a radical.

A guy who spends several years of his life living underground as the leader of a terrorist organization that declared war on the government, bombed police and government facilities, broke criminals out of prison, blew up a townhouse while building a nail bomb to set off at a dance, and did everything possible to foment a violent uprising to replace the US government with communism, is an extremist.

If you don't see that, there's no point in discussing this further.

Well, I recall it was a Republican congress that passed a tax cut for the wealthy that created the largest debt in US history turning the US from the world's largest creditor nation into the worlds largest debtor nation.

Got a link for this?

A guy who blogs about an issue and attends occasional rallies is an activist
Actually, the term applies to someone who actively protests to bring about social, political, economic, or environmental change. Yes, it could be blogging, attending rallies, or it could be blowing up animal research labs, or submitting false bids for oil leases to prevent oil drilling on public land, or blocking Japanese whaling ships on the open seas.

As a side, one of my favorite books was the "The Monkey Wrench Gang."

A guy who devotes a substantial part of his time to advocating for his controversial positions is a radical.
I think a radical is someone who wants to change the political or social structure through revolutionary means. The founding fathers were considered radicals.

A guy who spends several years of his life living underground as the leader of a terrorist organization that declared war on the government, bombed police and government facilities, broke criminals out of prison, blew up a townhouse while building a nail bomb to set off at a dance, and did everything possible to foment a violent uprising to replace the US government with communism, is an extremist.

If you don't see that, there's no point in discussing this further.
Fine, stop discussing it then, but you forgot to mention the SDS also robbed banks. And the SDS weren't trying to overthrow the gubbamint and replace it communism, they were protesting the Vietnam War, but then so were most young people in those days.

Traditionally what makes an extreemist is someone who seeks a change of status or law through action rather than political process. For instance I would consider bhuddist monks who immolate themselves in protest as leftwing extreemists. I would consider Clerics that call for Jihad as rightwing extreemists.
But I suppose you have to ask what "Right" and "Left" wing really are. - And like Einstien said. That's relative.

Not one word of that supports any of your claims. I asked you for evidence that this law:

1) "created the largest debt in US history," and
2) "turn[ed] the US from the world's largest creditor nation into the worlds largest debtor nation"

In response, you linked to a tax hike.
It sure does support my claims, hunny bunny. And the next time you ask me for a link try to be more specific and ask nice or I might forget I'm a lady and tell you where can find your own link.....

In 1981, Reagan significantly reduced the maximum tax rate, which affected the very wealthy, and lowered the top marginal tax rate from 70% to 50%; in 1986 he further reduced the rate to 28%.[15] As a result of all this, the budget deficit and federal debt increased considerably: debt grew from 33.3% of GDP in 1980 to 51.9% at the end of 1988 [16] and the deficit increased from 2.7% in 1980 to more than double in 1983, when it reached 6%; in 1984, 1985 and 1986 it was around 5%.[17] In order to cover new federal budget deficits, the United States borrowed heavily both domestically and abroad, raising the national debt from $700 billion to $3 trillion,[18] and the United States moved from being the world's largest international creditor to the world's largest debtor nation.[19] Reagan described the new debt as the "greatest disappointment" of his presidency.[18]...."
Reaganomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sure does support my claims, hunny bunny. And the next time you ask me for a link try to be more specific and ask nice or I might forget I'm a lady and tell you where can find your own link.....

I'm not your hunny bunny, and I figured that you'd be able to figure out what I was asking for based on the fact that I quoted the relevant language.

More importantly, neither this link nor that one does anything to support the notion that "a Republican congress that passed a tax cut for the wealthy that created the largest debt in US history turning the US from the world's largest creditor nation into the worlds largest debtor nation."

First, the fact that something happened over the course of 8 years is not proof that it happened because of X. There's a difference between correlation and causation.

Second, and more importantly, there's the fact that the Republicans didn't control Congress at any point between 1954 and 1994. The Democrats had a 70-80 seat majority in the House for most of Reagan's time in office.

Last edited:
I'm not your hunny bunny, and I figured that you'd be able to figure out what I was asking for based on the fact that I quoted the relevant language.

More importantly, neither this link nor that one does anything to support the notion that "a Republican congress that passed a tax cut for the wealthy that created the largest debt in US history turning the US from the world's largest creditor nation into the worlds largest debtor nation."

First, the fact that something happened over the course of 8 years is not proof that it happened because of X. There's a difference between correlation and causation.

Second, and more importantly, there's the fact that the Republicans didn't control Congress at any point between 1954 and 1994. The Democrats had a 70-80 seat majority in the House for most of Reagan's time in office.
Congress refers to both the house and the senate....
The United States Congress is the bicameral legislature of the federal government of the United States, consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Republicans took the Senate in 1980 and it was the Republican Senate that wrote the first tax cut bill (Kemp-Roth Act) in 1981 and rescinded part of it in 1982 to raise the payroll taxes. It was in the first link I showed you.

Here's a link to the election of 1980....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_1980

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom