• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if

I really have trouble reversing my mindset. It took me so long to get here.

he who laughs last, laughs best. the last man standing.... simple premise.
geo.

I really have trouble reversing my mindset. It took me so long to get here.

well, sure. it is not easy, i think, for anyone.

we are supposed to remain flexible, but not easily turned. we are supposed to be committed to ideas, but not ideological. we are supposed to listen to and consider what others say, but not let others think for us.

we have great investment in our would view. changing it can be scary. it is not impossible, though.

the simple truth is that very little of what you or i or the fella leaning against the lamppost thinks is our own thinking... we inherit ideas. and we associate the ideas we inherit with those we inherit them from. thinking outside the box often means thinking outside the community that we use to define ourselves, our familiies, friends. it can feel like treason.

for most people, thinking, doing the right thing is less important than maintaining status within the group through which they define themselves. such folk are truly incapable of changing their minds if it sets them apart.

and so it goes.
geo.

I just mean on the 'not fighting back when I've already spoken my mind' front.

I used to be a pro-life, fundamentalist christian republican.

/me hangs head

I am ashamed. :(

well, sure. it is not easy, i think, for anyone.

I just mean on the 'not fighting back when I've already spoken my mind' front.

ah, well.... probably you do it for the same reasons many of us do - either you have a deep, personal commitment to your position or... you just like kickin; a lil ass now and then.

i never deny that i get into it sometimes just because it is fun. and i like exercising my brain.

and, (caution, unqualified opinion imminent) shame is a sin - reject it.

geo.

In this instance it was tongue-in-cheek, but I have spoken to a person or two on this board who sound like me back in the day and I literally blush to think that's where my head was at.

and, (caution, unqualified opinion imminent) shame is a sin - reject it.

geo.

In this instance it was tongue-in-cheek, but I have spoken to a person or two on this board who sound like me back in the day and I literally blush to think that's where my head was at.

well then, you are to be commended WITHOUT the usual tsp. of sarcasm. not so much for the position itself, though, of course one more independent mind makes for a better world, but for having guts enough to do the hard thing.

geo.

Yes, I'd like to preface this by saying I fully expect to be called arrogant and etc. I just consider the source.
:2wave:
What if you couldn't make your usual talking points. Seriously - what if you couldn't say what you have already said on this board so very, very many times. What if rebuttal actually involved thinking, not reacting. Standing by your point, and owning it when somebody makes a successful rebuttal, instead of changing the subject and going on attack.

How many (at least two that I can think of) people wouldn't even be able to participate anymore?

In my short time being on this forum, I say this with no ego I have admitted I've been wrong or said something along the lines of "touche", or "point taken" although I'm pretty sure if these rules applied I would have already shutdown half of you fools for challening my master debating skills.

Wait. What?

Yes, I'd like to preface this by saying I fully expect to be called arrogant and etc. I just consider the source.
What if you couldn't make your usual talking points. Seriously - what if you couldn't say what you have already said on this board so very, very many times. What if rebuttal actually involved thinking, not reacting. Standing by your point, and owning it when somebody makes a successful rebuttal, instead of changing the subject and going on attack.

How many (at least two that I can think of) people wouldn't even be able to participate anymore?

If someone makes a good enough rebuttal to counter my point, I'll stop and think about it for a while.
Looking for things in both my and their argument that I didn't see before.

It has made me a successful debater in my opinion, knowing that I am wrong a lot.

Last edited:
My nephew is THE master debater. He and his high-school sweetheart (wife) were first co-captains, then coaches for ten years. I wish I could find a way to get him in here.

In my short time being on this forum, I say this with no ego I have admitted I've been wrong or said something along the lines of "touche", or "point taken" although I'm pretty sure if these rules applied I would have already shutdown half of you fools for challening my master debating skills.

Wait. What?

I agree.

It also throws off the rhythm of "Did not!!" "Did TOO!" etc. when one of the parties just ups and leaves so they can think things over.

If someone makes a good enough rebuttal to counter my point, I'll stop and think about it for a while.
Looking for things in both my and their argument that I didn't see before.

It has made me a successful debater in my opinion, knowing that I am wrong a lot.

master debater lol

I also for the past few years was a tech and entertainment journalist, often times having roundtable discussions with analyst and big time developers working within the industry. I actually did consulting and testing for News Corp's site IGN, and CBS's site Gamespot. I've been able to convert several people into buying Apple products, and countless other people into supporting the Xbox platform. I do this now cuz well, I got nothing better to do because I'm currently jobless and the industry I was in before is getting increasingly elite (and by that I mean you must be this much of a nerd to ride).

Man, with those credentials you can make **** tons of money without leaving home.

master debater lol

I also for the past few years was a tech and entertainment journalist, often times having roundtable discussions with analyst and big time developers working within the industry. I actually did consulting and testing for News Corp's site IGN, and CBS's site Gamespot. I've been able to convert several people into buying Apple products, and countless other people into supporting the Xbox platform. I do this now cuz well, I got nothing better to do because I'm currently jobless and the industry I was in before is getting increasingly elite (and by that I mean you must be this much of a nerd to ride).

I have this theory, Boopsie, that has to do with the differing brain chemistry between cro magnon and neanderthal, and the way the two populations intermingled genetically in the distant past rather than cro magnon simply superceding Neanderthal. My theory is that the differing brain chemistry of the different groups was expressed through the way each reacted to their envoronment in terms of original thought vs learned behavior and creativity vs. dogmatic adherence to custom. As mankind developed, both these traits were passed on in varying degrees as well.

I see the sum of human history as involving something of a battle between the dogmatic on one side - -the religious, the bureaucrats, the conformists and the traditionalists, and the free thinkers on the other -- the heretics, the iconiclasts, the scientists and the eccentrics. I think this has to do with our basic wiring as our predisposition towards belief is expressed according to our propensity to accept what we are told vs accept what we observe.

Watching the way so many people seem to be in the business of simply repeating other people's talking points, and indeed, even using opinion pieces to "prove" the validity of their point of view, in my more cynical moments I often wonder if most people are just programmable replicators of packets of thought. Custom, convention, tradition -- all those aspects of our behavior where the only answer is "just because" -- I've never much understood it.

Which gives rise to crackpot theories, the likes of which I have to pretend I have not advanced before just to try to avoid the notion that here I am, just repeating myself.

again..

Man, with those credentials you can make **** tons of money without leaving home.

Actually you would be surprised. The sad thing about most people in technology is they really have little money because it is an expensive subject to cover. I applied for a job at News Corp's IGN HQed in SF, Cali went through the phone interview, and even with a starting salary of 50k (which isn't squat in SF) that wouldn't have been enough especially because they were making cutbacks in that department and were unwilling to relocate, especially someone who isn't completely proven. I've also gotten in trouble a few times leaking company information (Microsoft, Electronic Arts, etc) not knowing I was, thinking it was already publicly known information so that doesn't make it better. However, I am working on two different projects right now with some vets in the industry, one of them has a very unique view of being a completely family friendly gaming site that focuses on healthy family-oriented gaming, with information for both the parent and the child. Just waiting for the main man in charge to launch it!

I was talking about the writing. But OOOH on the waiting for launch. Keep me in the loop!

Actually you would be surprised. The sad thing about most people in technology is they really have little money because it is an expensive subject to cover. I applied for a job at News Corp's IGN HQed in SF, Cali went through the phone interview, and even with a starting salary of 50k (which isn't squat in SF) that wouldn't have been enough especially because they were making cutbacks in that department and were unwilling to relocate, especially someone who isn't completely proven. I've also gotten in trouble a few times leaking company information (Microsoft, Electronic Arts, etc) not knowing I was, thinking it was already publicly known information so that doesn't make it better. However, I am working on two different projects right now with some vets in the industry, one of them has a very unique view of being a completely family friendly gaming site that focuses on healthy family-oriented gaming, with information for both the parent and the child. Just waiting for the main man in charge to launch it!

I was talking about the writing. But OOOH on the waiting for launch. Keep me in the loop!

Don't worry i'm really good at whoring/promoting myself and my various projects.

Weeding through your insults and condescention is hard enough, I thought I'd avoid further diffiulty in debating with you by getting your intended words straight before replying to them.

If you find my interactions with you condescending, it's only because you recognize how beneath me you truly are. Still proud of yourself for catching that typo?

I don't know, it's hard to say. You may not allow me to participate any more either as all my arguments always come back to the rights and liberties of the individual. Those are centric to my political philosophy and form the basis of my political platform.

I haven't seen you do talking points, but maybe because that's my page you're on.

I don't know, it's hard to say. You may not allow me to participate any more either as all my arguments always come back to the rights and liberties of the individual. Those are centric to my political philosophy and form the basis of my political platform.

Yeah but you present these ideas without parroting 4 stock answers whether they fit the discussion or not.

Back
Top Bottom