• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What, if Anything, can the US Learn from Other Countries?

What, if Anything, can the US Learn from Other Countries?

• Healthcare

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Tax Policy

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Drug Policy

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Prison System

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Size and Scope of Military

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Race Relations

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Election System

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Morality

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Violent Crime Rates

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
Nope, they banned guns, that's an automatic disqualification.

But they still have lots ov natives to abuse. I vote they get back in the mix.

Criminal justice reform, criminal justice reform... criminal justice reform! I think there is no other area where an element of our system is so deeply flawed when compared to another.

Criminal justice reform, criminal justice reform... criminal justice reform! I think there is no other area where an element of our system is so deeply flawed when compared to another.

Are you entitled to have a hip replacement surgery? 'Cause I've had both done and paid only a nominal rent on the crutches.

Humbleness, MYOB & 50 mpg cars. :)

Is the US the greatest nation the world has ever seen, hands down? Or are there things we can approve upon based on the example of other countries?

Politics is about getting things better. It is not about getting them right. There are countries that seem to get one or maybe two things on the list better than the US. If you check them out it often turns out, that it was a mistake of observation. Also you find a trade off between the points on the list as each one requires resources that must come from somewhere, where they mean reduced achievement. I have done a number of such comparisons with Germany. Of hand I cannot remember any one point, where the presumed better achievement in Germany panned out under scrutiny.

Is the US the greatest nation the world has ever seen, hands down? Or are there things we can approve upon based on the example of other countries?

This is framed in a somewhat sophomoric way. "The greatest nation the world has ever seen?" Please. What does that even mean? I tell you, my wife is the best wife ever. My son is the cutest kid in the world. Of course I'm going to say that.

On the other hand, it's not as though we don't have any idea what we're doing and so let's copy someone else. Academics, government officials, economists and others can perhaps gain and derive useful information from what's going on and being done in other countries, but we are not going to play monkey-see-monkey-do with other nations. There are too many variables to just pick and choose other countries' policies and think they'll magically work well here.

Politics is about getting things better.

Politics are a pissing match of misleading and persuading the voting public.

Last edited:
(snicker!)

silly comments like that might be SOP for your posts but don't really promote discussion. name the countries that -in total-are better than the USA.

yeah people are lining up to move to Iceland or Trinidad.

Usually silliness of your posts

Silliness? You're serious? The US is the best country to live in?
That thread I got banned from- go read it again, about how you need to be armed if you want to go out your door safely. That sound like the best place to live to you?

well we have learned from England and Australia what happens when people register their firearms

Lower incidence of deadly use thereof?

I think we can learn a lot from other countries, entire regions and continents... they are all myriad bad examples that we, if we are wise, will look at and say, dang buddy, we got the best thing going and we can sure improve it even....

I think we could learn from many Central American countries how to let people do with their property as they see fit. The governments there do not, usually, have enough money to go around sticking their noses where they don't belong. Ours, our federales especially, want into every single facet of our daily lives, long term want to own our bodies and make most all our decisions for us. We have been reading Orwell and Huxley all our lives, both from across the pond, and yet we still want more of that government big bro looking over our shoulder, saying, "uh uh."..or "uh huh" about what cars we buy, light bulbs, if we want a large drink, blah blah blah? And Republicans aren't much better than the dems on this, they talk a good game but never cut the programs, never do away with the bloated big departments...more and more corruption as more and more money flows into the rat-holes of DC...

Anyhow, we can see the how liberal policy has pretty much just chewed up and spit Europe out, wobbling along, even with us shouldering nearly all their defense costs, protecting them for the nigh these last 70 years ...they made the wrong decisions on how to deal with population, dwindling and under the replacement rate [ ours is getting closer to the same ], they are all over the place, having gone back and forth between privatization and nationalization along with other liberal policies so their economies are, for the most part, not very competitive, the mandatory work week hours, the excessive [ though I am sure it looks nice ] vacation and benefit packages, the socialized medicine... they have lost their edge, are not near as innovative as the USA [ look at just how many patents the state of California puts out per year ] or Japan...

Well, in any event... if one does not think this is the greatest overall country that planet has ever seen... well... I imagine a grumpy old guy sitting in his momma or sisters basement, a/c putting on the chill to counter the heat of an overweight bod, at his computer in his t shirt and underwear, eating chips, the gummier bears and chocolate bars saying, "...if things are so great here, where's my lobster then, how come I cannot have lobster every night... matter of fact, where is my maid, huh? I mean, someone sure as heck needs to clean up after me, this place is a frickin mess..."

Lower incidence of deadly use thereof?

actually their rate of violence has gone up SINCe their silly bans while ours has gone down as the number of firearms-both in private hands and carried by law abiding citizens on the public streets has increased

Silliness? You're serious? The US is the best country to live in?
That thread I got banned from- go read it again, about how you need to be armed if you want to go out your door safely. That sound like the best place to live to you?

why not move there then? We have millions of people trying to come here to live.

I voted for all of them except elections, which I think are pretty good here though they certainly could be improved.

I voted for all of them except elections, which I think are pretty good here though they certainly could be improved.

I think elections could definitely be improved upon by limiting campaign lengths, limiting the effect of money on candidates, offering more real options to choose from, enacting National voting standards, and increasing voter turnout. There's a lot of countries that are good at one or more of these.

why not move there then? We have millions of people trying to come here to live.

Dude, I live on Texada Island, off the west coast of Canada. I ain't moving.
I I go to the city, it's Vancouver I'm headed to. Number 3 on the 10-best list behind Melbourne and Vienna. It's a mystery, the criteria you apply and decide the US is the best country to live in- it's too risky to go out your door unarmed, I hear.

Dude, I live on Texada Island, off the west coast of Canada. I ain't moving.
I I go to the city, it's Vancouver I'm headed to. Number 3 on the 10-best list behind Melbourne and Vienna. It's a mystery, the criteria you apply and decide the US is the best country to live in- it's too risky to go out your door unarmed, I hear.

The world's top 10 best and worst livable cities (PHOTOS) | GlobalPost

Back
Top Bottom