• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happened!??

Lost??
Well, that is just awful.
On that bright, shiny Saturday afternoon, I had managed to unite both sides of the political divide.
We had agreed on a deal to avoid a gov't shutdown, balance next year's budget and achieve Mideast peace.
All my rhetorical flourishes, all my unassailable logic...lost...lost forever in cyberspace...
Like tears in the rain*
Oh, well....c'est la vie...I'll pick up another jug of wine and try to recreate that stellar moment next Saturday.

*Line stolen from Bladerunner.

BEST...DYING...WORDS...EVER!!!
I hope to paraphrase and use them someday.....way, way in the future.;)
I think I read somewhere that they weren't even in the script - or rather, that the actor re-wrote that part because the original script was just sad...in a bad way. If that makes any sense...

Either that, or I'm confusing several movies together...

I think I read somewhere that they weren't even in the script - or rather, that the actor re-wrote that part because the original script was just sad...in a bad way. If that makes any sense...

Either that, or I'm confusing several movies together...

You are correct.
Rutger Hauer re-wrote the scene and director Ridley Scott happily acquiesced to the change.
I saw that on Cracked.com...my unassailable information source.
Hey, it's a lot better than World Net Daily.:)

My concerns are about ticket# 804871, live chat transcripts from Sept 30th, and the customer relations reply above. Please read this before looking up the ticket or live chat transcripts. I am not convinced the ticket has ever been read in its entirety.

I feel that as a customer of over 8 years that I have been reduced to a simple ticket number. When this ticket is marked ‘closed’ I feel that is exactly what will happen to my concerns below. I am not upset about the issue; I am upset about how I was ignored.

I asked multiple times for a level 2 or level 3 to call me on my cell. The response was that level 3 was not able to call me. Why? In the ticket I was attempting to state the errors that I had, but apparently they were being ignored and there was an assumption of what my issue was. There appeared to be only one level 1 representative (Trey?) over 24 hours after the event that understood my error after calling back multiple times to state my case. I felt on trial as it didn’t seem to progress until he was able to replicate my error. However, in the ticket I posted the error and how to replicate it. I told multiple level 1 reps the same thing. A phone call from level 3 would have solved my issue in minutes rather than almost 2 days.

The issue started after the power outage… it took 32 hours before I was even asked for my phpmyadmin password! I told the level 1 support that if the phpmyadmin issue was resolved – it should fix the server issue. At one point before being asked my password, I was told that my database was being restored and that daily and weekly didn’t work. If the monthly backup did not work, they didn’t know what to do. My entire forum would be as risk. Again, at this point I am fairly certain my ticket/replies were not even being seen. I had to call multiple times to get attention.

After the server was fixed (unsure what the actual issue was) I had to call to find out the status. My guess is that they fixed the socket errors on the mysql server and because there were attempts to repair from a backup they were forced to do a daily repair which was likely not even necessary. I still have no clue how it was fixed. I even asked for a very detailed technical explanation. I never got it.

Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 support technicians are siloed. They do not talk with each other. Perhaps a solution is that if a ticket needs to go beyond level 2, the level 1 & level 2 folks take a moment to conference with level 3. We all know that 90% of any issue is to first identify the problem. Here there are many instances here of assumption which dragged my issue on well beyond necessity.

As an IT support representative myself of over 25 years, I understand human error on the power issue. But what I do not understand is the ignoring, assuming, and reducing me as a customer to a simple ticket. Even the client relations supervisor was unwilling to call me. If he was on vacation, punt it to someone who might take 10 minutes of their time to listen to my concerns so I at least feel like my event can help make the company a better place to work for and help improve the quality of service so no others might not have to go through this again.

Those are some of my concerns. Reply back with an “I’m sorry”, “I understand your frustration” that is apparently all I need as a customer. Then call it a day and grab a beer. Again, feel free to call me. Bring back the human element. What would work better than a phone call to me is to address the underlying lack of communication within the support department.

Regards,

A copy of the letter I just wrote. Yes, we were at risk at one point to lose over a month of posts.

A copy of the letter I just wrote. Yes, we were at risk at one point to lose over a month of posts.

Whoa, dude! I had no idea how many hours of grief you endured trying to get us up and running again... and am pissed beyond belief to discover that you were being totally jerked around because apparently nobody with the power to solve the problem felt it important enough for even a minor disruption to their weekend. If that letter doesn't make cheeks burn with embarrassment at their complete lack of available technological expertise and customer service, they are clueless beyond redemption. I'd have been whimpering by the second paragraph.

I'm just so very sorry for all you went through, and extremely grateful that you stuck to them like a stubborn tick until the problem was resolved. Thank you again.

P.S. If you ever get sick of management, you'd make one hell of a fine Dungeon Master! Just sayin'....

Looks like the letter above made some ripples in the status quo in the service department. Hopefully we will never have to test this theory.

However, I did get a call back and we had a lengthy discussion about going forward.

Looks like the letter above made some ripples in the status quo in the service department. Hopefully we will never have to test this theory.

However, I did get a call back and we had a lengthy discussion about going forward.

Did we get a deep discount on our bill?

Vague's concerns remind me of the days when I had to call desk-top computer support -- they were all the same -- HP, Gateway, etc., etc. They would never escalate to the guy who could help me solve my problem. Again and again I'd have to jump through ridiculous hoops (though I'd tried all those things before I called in the first place). It made me positively nutz.

There is no accountability. No one is allowed to wrap their arms around a customer and his problem and work to resolution. And they have their mindless checklists that insult the customer's intimate knowledge of his problem driving many of us insane.

Great letter, Vague. I hope it at least gets a phone call.

I was watching the same game, at Twin Peaks. Darned those 20 year old girls in skimpy outfits, messing up my concentration on the game!

Unless they have an open mouth connected to my exposed penis, the game is still more important.

Short version: The ISP was painting their datacenter and the painter accidentally 'elbowed' the emergency power off switch. Databases do not like instant power off. It needed to be repaired. We lost the posts while the server was confused.

Long technical version: The above statement, plus... During the data recovery the server had mixed tokens and session ID's in the system after reboot. That enabled a few to be able to log in and possibly post. However, I was unable to turn off the forum software as the switch is in the database. We were also unable to view/update via phpmyadmin. During this time, the troubleshooters attempted repair from daily and weekly backups and were unsuccessful (due to the errors stated previously). Command line on the system appeared great resulting in the technicians having quick judgments to the current status. When attempting to contact the ports for the db via 80, it would go nuts. The errors (5 of them) combined with our multiple cache system made it even more of a challenge to find the root cause.

Results: The database was eventually recovered from the latest daily backup successfully. Posts after 2:30am Saturday are lost.

Please accept our apology and thank you for your patience during the last two days.
This is an outrage.

See you in court, asshole.

Troubleshooting my ass.

Sounds like they just tried to roll it back to the most recent workable backup, without looking for further problems....

All donations that were supposed to register last Saturday should now be in the system. Let me know if any were missed.

You folks rock!! Thanks for understanding with the delay. Your donations keep this place running.

Did the painters happen to come back today for touch-ups? The site has been spastic all morning.

Back
Top Bottom