• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happened!??

Just in case the server crashes and also if I have to reference them in the future.
I used to do that when I posted via dial-up...the chance of some glitch during the posting was much higher, so I needed to ensure I could repost if necessary.

Short version: The ISP was painting their datacenter and the painter accidentally 'elbowed' the emergency power off switch. Databases do not like instant power off. It needed to be repaired. We lost the posts while the server was confused.

Long technical version: The above statement, plus... During the data recovery the server had mixed tokens and session ID's in the system after reboot. That enabled a few to be able to log in and possibly post. However, I was unable to turn off the forum software as the switch is in the database. We were also unable to view/update via phpmyadmin. During this time, the troubleshooters attempted repair from daily and weekly backups and were unsuccessful (due to the errors stated previously). Command line on the system appeared great resulting in the technicians having quick judgments to the current status. When attempting to contact the ports for the db via 80, it would go nuts. The errors (5 of them) combined with our multiple cache system made it even more of a challenge to find the root cause.

Results: The database was eventually recovered from the latest daily backup successfully. Posts after 2:30am Saturday are lost.

Please accept our apology and thank you for your patience during the last two days.

I haven't a clue about the technical stuff - I just know I really missed checking in and I'm very glad you're back - I hope your weekend wasn't completely ruined but please know there are lots of people like me who greatly appreciate your efforts.

Thanks for all you do for us.

I was not going to mention this for all this is based on voluntary work hence no grounds to complain. But prior to total break in DP I could not put words in Italics, Bolds, or Underline by pressing button shortcuts! Not much later from that, in days, DP collapsed.

Perhaps it started rotting sooner. Sorry for the terminology, but I am not into software devs, I use em, not make em.

I have wondered who to thank for this little playground.

Thank you. This is a wonderful place to play and meet people.

Thanks for getting the site up and running again guys. I was having DP DTs. :mrgreen:

THANK GOD IT'S HEALTHY AGAIN.

In the depth of my DTs I actually went back to Politico for a couple of seconds.

Holy cow that place is unreal now.

You know how the "Star Wars bar scene" analogy has been overused?
Well it's only overused because the analogy shoulda been reserved for places like Politico.

I did! The thing is the OP does not states or even hints that Apacherat posted NSA sensitive information that caused it to appear that DP had somehow "accidentally" switched the power off button! It is a conspiracy!

Hence now all his posts together with our posts (lateral damage) were removed from Saturday!

;)

If any of those posts are important to anyone, check with the NSA, I'm sure that they have them recorded.

Short version: The ISP was painting their datacenter and the painter accidentally 'elbowed' the emergency power off switch. Databases do not like instant power off. It needed to be repaired. We lost the posts while the server was confused.

Long technical version: The above statement, plus... During the data recovery the server had mixed tokens and session ID's in the system after reboot. That enabled a few to be able to log in and possibly post. However, I was unable to turn off the forum software as the switch is in the database. We were also unable to view/update via phpmyadmin. During this time, the troubleshooters attempted repair from daily and weekly backups and were unsuccessful (due to the errors stated previously). Command line on the system appeared great resulting in the technicians having quick judgments to the current status. When attempting to contact the ports for the db via 80, it would go nuts. The errors (5 of them) combined with our multiple cache system made it even more of a challenge to find the root cause.

Results: The database was eventually recovered from the latest daily backup successfully. Posts after 2:30am Saturday are lost.

Please accept our apology and thank you for your patience during the last two days.

Thanks for all of the hard work.

I learned a long time ago that everything made by the human race will eventually have some kind of problem.

Without those problems a lot of people wouldn't have a job.

Posts after 2:30am Saturday are lost.

No biggie. For straight American males who love football like I do, we lost nothing.

Post on DP...or watch LSU and Georgia. Hmmm...

*levels hands up and down*

I have wondered who to thank for this little playground.

Thank you. This is a wonderful place to play and meet people.

:agree: And let's all remember to donate occasionally, even if it's only a small amount! With as many of us as there are...and most of us like this site or we wouldn't be here...our hosts should never have to worry about funding! We lose if they get discouraged! :2mad:

Good afternoon, code 1211. :2wave:

l thought dp was hacked by el qeada.

There's an emergency power-off switch or 3 around the edges of the datacenter I work at....not sure they're connected though.
They're orange, surrounded by alternating black/yellow slashes and have clear plastic covers to prevent accidents.

They always cut the red wire to keep it from going boom. :lol:

kudos for getting the site back up. it's appreciated.

And another hickup. Good thing Vauge does not need sleep.

And another hickup. Good thing Vauge does not need sleep.

I am working on a letter delicately written to reflect how we all feel. I just need to count to 10 first.

I am working on a letter delicately written to reflect how we all feel. I just need to count to 10 first.

I tend to write what I think, let venting calm me down, and then start again with more diplomacy.

I'm thinking this painter guy is a disgruntled former DP member who got banned.

:mrgreen:

No biggie. For straight American males who love football like I do, we lost nothing.

Post on DP...or watch LSU and Georgia. Hmmm...

*levels hands up and down*

I was watching the same game, at Twin Peaks. Darned those 20 year old girls in skimpy outfits, messing up my concentration on the game!

Posts after 2:30am Saturday are lost.

Lost??
Well, that is just awful.
On that bright, shiny Saturday afternoon, I had managed to unite both sides of the political divide.
We had agreed on a deal to avoid a gov't shutdown, balance next year's budget and achieve Mideast peace.
All my rhetorical flourishes, all my unassailable logic...lost...lost forever in cyberspace...
Like tears in the rain*
Oh, well....c'est la vie...I'll pick up another jug of wine and try to recreate that stellar moment next Saturday.

*Line stolen from Bladerunner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom