• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

We grilled some peppers, heated up some refried beans and stuffed it all in a tortilla.
Yesterday we have pb and apple slices just because husband spent most of the day rocking the dog in the recliner.

We never eat there usually get two 1qt. containers of the curry, and two containers of white rice on the side. We usually share a 1qt. container and 1 container of rice per meal, always with our added shrimp. It is delicious, never disappoints.
We enjoyed going to the Thai restaurant where we lived before. It was a hit and miss kinda place because the mother (cook) and daughter (server) team served what they had at hand. Sure, there was a menu, but just like at home, they used what they had available. We ended up calling ahead to see what they were making that day. If they were out of the delicious spring rolls and had no mango ice cream, we hung our heads and went elsewhere.

Lox and bagels with thin sliced onion and Philadelphia cream cheese (1/3 less fat).

Yesterday I had a nice chili bean soup made with the ham bone my son left from the ham he brought. He baked the ham for Christmas with an apricot all natural jam rub and then he hung these huge piece of pineapple all over it. It was the best ham I've ever had. so the soup was pretty tasty.

Today I baked a stuffed chicken. Yesterday I made all of my own croutons for the stuffing. If you've ever made your own croutons it's hard to go back to buying the pre-made croutons. Served the baked chicken with mashed potatoes and a vegetable medley

I made the Chik Fil A recipe for Mac n cheese today - did two casserole dishes of it.

One casserole dish is already gone between my husband and son 😂

I also made Sloppy Joes (homemade, not the canned sauce) to go with the Mac n cheese for dinner. And a side of broccoli.

I need to get these two better with veggies, they’re very picky.

Egg omelet with sauteed onion, fire roasted red peppers (from jar), minced shallots (from jar), 2% milk, chives, parsley, salt, pepper. Served in a whole wheat tortilla wrap.

I love curry, and love Thai food. But while curry goes a pretty long way, due to it being served on rice, the usual Thai restaurant portions are generally moderate sized. Often really tasty, but not abundant or a particularly good value. Though as I said, the curries go a pretty long way, but not very proteins rich. Delicious, though!

BTW - when you find a good Thai all-you-can-eat buffet, you've hit the jackpot! I had one nearby, but it burnt down! I guess it gives new meaning to the phrase, "Fiery Hot"!

Curry, too much just ain't enough. Thai, Indonesian, Indian, you name it, it's all good.

About a year ago I came across a recipe for Butter Chicken in an Instant Pot created by in Indian lady, who is a physicist in Texas. It is so good it'll make you run home to mama. Here is her recipe.

I have three recommendations:

Follow her recipe, exactly. If you like curry you'll love her Butter Chicken.

Make your own garam masala. It makes a world of difference. I bought all the ingredients from an Indian market near me and ground my own spices. Fresh garam masala matters, huge. Also, it smells so damned good.

Make sure you make enough for another meal.

My third recommendation is a small one. Rice. A few years ago someone turned us on to rices. Yep, plural. Whoever told me about the varieties of rice created a monster in me. I never knew there were so many varieties and that certain types make a real difference depending on your main course. Who knew? I'm slow to learn. I have found that aged Indian basmati is perfect for many Indian curries. The owner of the Indian food store clued me in. He was correct in my opinion.

If you like Chicken Tikka Masala you'll really like the above recipe for Butter Chicken.

Oh, pepper. I like pepper, ground pepper, etc. My wife is not big on more than a sprinkling. I made the above recipe exactly. It requires a good dose of ground pepper. I'm making the Butter Chicken, why tell my wife it has beaucoup pepper in it, right? My lips to God's ears, she loved the Butter Chicken. Only later did I tell her how much pepper was in the recipe.

Yesterday I had a nice chili bean soup made with the ham bone my son left from the ham he brought. He baked the ham for Christmas with an apricot all natural jam rub and then he hung these huge piece of pineapple all over it. It was the best ham I've ever had. so the soup was pretty tasty.

Today I baked a stuffed chicken. Yesterday I made all of my own croutons for the stuffing. If you've ever made your own croutons it's hard to go back to buying the pre-made croutons. Served the baked chicken with mashed potatoes and a vegetable medley

Amen!

I don't make homemade croutons, but often eat with a family member that does. They are awesome. Nothing, and I mean Nothing, like a store bought crouton at all. Almost a different animal.

Curry, too much just ain't enough. Thai, Indonesian, Indian, you name it, it's all good.

About a year ago I came across a recipe for Butter Chicken in an Instant Pot created by in Indian lady, who is a physicist in Texas. It is so good it'll make you run home to mama. Here is her recipe.

Make your own garam masala. It makes a world of difference. I bought all the ingredients from an Indian market near me and ground my own spices. Fresh garam masala matters, huge. Also, it smells so damned good.

My third recommendation is a small one. Rice. A few years ago someone turned us on to rices. Yep, plural. Whoever told me about the varieties of rice created a monster in me. I never knew there were so many varieties and that certain types make a real difference depending on your main course. Who knew? I'm slow to learn. I have found that aged Indian basmati is perfect for many Indian curries. The owner of the Indian food store clued me in. He was correct in my opinion.

If you like Chicken Tikka Masala you'll really like the above recipe for Butter Chicken.

Oh, pepper. I like pepper, ground pepper, etc. My wife is not big on more than a sprinkling. I made the above recipe exactly. It requires a good dose of ground pepper. I'm making the Butter Chicken, why tell my wife it has beaucoup pepper in it, right? My lips to God's ears, she loved the Butter Chicken. Only later did I tell her how much pepper was in the recipe.

Well thanks, Risky.

Actually, I like both Butter and Tikka Masala, with my preference being Tikka Masala.

I looked at your website, and it appears the author also has a Chicken Tikka Masala recipe - there.

I can't tell you how much I miss the Indian Buffets, that now are all shut down from the pandemic. One buffet, one of my favs, was Punjabi, the same as the author of the website.

Thank you. I credit it to Rep. Jamie Raskin, he recently brought it to my attention, and I felt it fit perfectly in my signature.
To stay on topic, I had to wipe Skinny Pop popcorn salt off my fingers so that I could grip my pen to write down that quote.(y)

Supper tonight was barbecued chicken, steamed baby red potatoes w/butter sauce, collards from the market and home- made Ambrosia.

hell, i grew up in japan and assumed rice is rice
at least until you let me know i should try some calrose
will now be looking for indian basmati

also copied that recipe for butter chicken and the home ground garam masala; THANKS for the recommendations!

I figured out how to successfully load photos from my phone. This is last night's pizza.

m8bcj0dpiyc81.jpg

Well thanks, Risky.

Actually, I like both Butter and Tikka Masala, with my preference being Tikka Masala.

I looked at your website, and it appears the author also has a Chicken Tikka Masala recipe - there.

I can't tell you how much I miss the Indian Buffets, that now are all shut down from the pandemic. One buffet, one of my favs, was Punjabi, the same as the author of the website.

Same here. No buffet at my favorite Indian restaurant. Covid.

I was in Chicago a couple of months ago. So many restaurants are struggling or closed. It's a damned shame. And Chicago has so many great restaurants. It seemed to me that chain restaurants were hanging on but local restaurants, which to me are the heart and soul of any great city, were barely hanging on or closed.

Same here. No buffet at my favorite Indian restaurant. Covid.

I was in Chicago a couple of months ago. So many restaurants are struggling or closed. It's a damned shame. And Chicago has so many great restaurants. It seemed to me that chain restaurants were hanging on but local restaurants, which to me are the heart and soul of any great city, were barely hanging on or closed.

Chicago has an amazing array of great, cheap, ethnic food. That's because it's a city of neighborhoods, many of which are immigrant neighborhoods.

Most of the decent places are holding on. But they aren't keeping long hours, are limiting their menus somewhat, and generally catering to carry-out. But, the good ones are indeed hanging-in.

We enjoyed going to the Thai restaurant where we lived before. It was a hit and miss kinda place because the mother (cook) and daughter (server) team served what they had at hand. Sure, there was a menu, but just like at home, they used what they had available. We ended up calling ahead to see what they were making that day. If they were out of the delicious spring rolls and had no mango ice cream, we hung our heads and went elsewhere.
There's a Thai place about an hour from here that I've eaten at several times, and my absolute favorite thing is their steamed veggie spring rolls. I could triple the appetizer order and make it my meal. It all tastes so fresh, the veggies still have a little tooth and there's a little hint of fresh mint in there...the dipping sauce is yummy too.

Reactions: JMR
Back
Top Bottom