• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

a simple thin crust pizza with a sauce my wife made from fresh tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic, added mozzarella, and fresh basil. my first home made pizza since chef-boyardee over half a century ago. question was, would the kamado get hot enough: 550-600. it did!
now that i see it is possible, this summer will be an adventure in pizza making
my wife made a bean/vegetable dish in her hot pot ... with a skoch of salt and some balsamic vinegar it was good to go. less healthy than the way she eats it, but tasty
since the pizza steel was blazing, a boneless ribeye was grilled to 130. next, removed the steel and grilled a half dozen boneless chicken thighs marianated in lemongrass/soy/fish sauce. the dog approved of both
first kamado outing of 2021. tomorrow will be low and slow smoked pork shoulder BBQ, slaw, and hushpuppies ... going to have to move my fast day to tuesday
A kamado is more than hot enough, especially with a baking steel. If you have that kind of heat you can use fresh mozzarella and it won't make the crust soggy. Make the crust 2-3 days in advance and allow it to ferment in the refrigerator and you will notice a huge flavor difference.

I did a beef and tater tot casserole, but swapped the ground beef for ground chicken, the cream of mushroom soup for cream of chicken, and the tater tots for hash browns. First time in awhile I've heard a kid ask for seconds of something new.
20210426_173048.jpg

I did a beef and tater tot casserole, but swapped the ground beef for ground chicken, the cream of mushroom soup for cream of chicken, and the tater tots for hash browns. First time in awhile I've heard a kid ask for seconds of something new.
View attachment 67330602
smart kid with a good cook for a Mom

Since I lost the weight, one of the great side effects is that I don't get that hungry anymore. Breakfast is a fruit/veggie smoothie, power bar and a protein drink for lunch and for dinner, I pretty much eat anything I want. Last night I went to Olive Garden, ate only half my entree, and then ordered one of those take-home entrees.. so I have dinner taken care of for the next 3 nights!

Interesting fact about yellow mustard ( like Dijon)...works great to alleviate acid reflux...🤔

i didn't know that. thanks for the tip.

We worked in the garden most of the day as little Squirt watched us from the comfort of her cushion. Not much energy left, we decided on PB and apples.

Have some chicken thighs marinated for the grill. Wife’s teriyaki concoction

Last edited:
View attachment 67330602
My wife makes something like this but does it with chili.

1 can of Hormel Chili No beans
8 hash brown patties
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese

Foil 350 oven for 45 min. un-foil 15 min more.

Last night a salad and a couple fried eggs over well.

Tonight, an easy peasy Caprese Pasta

12 cheese sticks cut into 1/2 inch pieces (if you want to use fresh, use fresh, this is more like a scamorza, just gives a easier way to make consistent sized bites)
1 pint Cherry Tomato halved
Garlic minced
5-6 Basil leaves, chiffonade
Olive oil
Balsamic
Salt
Pepper
1 lb Your choice of pasta, we usually use Campanelle. But any short pasta will work, (e.g. bow tie, penne, fusilli...)

3-5 turns of the olive oil, about 3-4 splashes of the Balsamic. Boil, and chill pasta. Mix

Let this one sit for 4-24 hours and marinate. The longer the sit, the better the flavor, the softer the cheese.

View attachment 67330602
Reading your post reminded me of a breakfast casserole I haven't made in a long time but it was a real hit. What is so nice about it is it doesn't take much time at all to put together.

Like your dish, you start with a 9x13 baking dish prepped with non-stick cooking spray.
Choose 1 lb. of your favorite sausage, my choice is turkey sausage and brown it in a skillet and then spread it around in the bottom of the baking dish.
Next layer is a bag of frozen hash browns spread evenly.
The third layer is any veggie you enjoy in omelets diced the same size. My favorite is onions and red and green bell peppers on top of the potatoes is because they are the same ingredients in Potatoes O'brien which is a favorite of mine.
The forth layer is a lot of eggs whisked with half and half. It needs salt and pepper added but you can also add any herb or spices to your taste. The egg mixture is poured over everything evenly and the last layer is shredded cheeses of your choice. Cover it in foil and bake. It makes a great breakfast served with fresh fruit, juice and coffee.

Tonight I made Salisbury Steak, mushroom onion brown gravy, mashed potatoes and peas. it isn't one of my favorites but my better half enjoyed.

Reading your post reminded me of a breakfast casserole I haven't made in a long time but it was a real hit. What is so nice about it is it doesn't take much time at all to put together.

Like your dish, you start with a 9x13 baking dish prepped with non-stick cooking spray.
Choose 1 lb. of your favorite sausage, my choice is turkey sausage and brown it in a skillet and then spread it around in the bottom of the baking dish.
Next layer is a bag of frozen hash browns spread evenly.
The third layer is any veggie you enjoy in omelets diced the same size. My favorite is onions and red and green bell peppers on top of the potatoes is because they are the same ingredients in Potatoes O'brien which is a favorite of mine.
The forth layer is a lot of eggs whisked with half and half. It needs salt and pepper added but you can also add any herb or spices to your taste. The egg mixture is poured over everything evenly and the last layer is shredded cheeses of your choice. Cover it in foil and bake. It makes a great breakfast served with fresh fruit, juice and coffee.

Tonight I made Salisbury Steak, mushroom onion brown gravy, mashed potatoes and peas. it isn't one of my favorites but my better half enjoyed.
we have something similar referred to as the Christmas breakfast casserole ... as it only got made once a year:

INGREDIENTS​

• 6 slices bread, cubed
  • 1 lb sausage, browned and drained
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. Spread the bread evenly into the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.

2. Sprinkle the sausage and cheese evenly over the bread.

3. In a large measuring cup, combine the eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper.

4. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the ingredients in the pan.

5. Cover and chill overnight.

6. Prior to baking, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until set. You may need to bake it for a little more or less time depending on your oven and how soft or “runny” you prefer the eggs to be. I don’t really like it to be runny, but I also don’t want it to dry out. To check it, use a fork or knife to stick in the middle and see how soft it still is.

7. Remove from oven when done and serve warm.

Lets contintue this great thread as the last one has approached 2000 posts....

Let me be the first to ask.... "What did YOU have for dinner?"

IMG_1477.jpg

Kebabs and Beer at Sanya Dolphin, Sanya, Hainan Island, China. The best American pub fare at the best American Restaurant in China. Just about all the rest have been chased out. So, I travel.
Sanya 6.jpg

Kebabs and Beer at Sanya Dolphin, Sanya, Hainan Island, China. The best American pub fare at the best American Restaurant in China. Just about all the rest have been chased out. So, I travel.
View attachment 67330989
*thread detour*
intrigued about travel in china
what aids your ability to communicate with the chinese people, identify restaurants such as the sanya dolphin as desirable, and be assured you are headed correctly to your next destination?

Back
Top Bottom