• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Me and the wife went on a meatloaf kick back when COVID first started. The grocer had grab and go cooked beef and turkey versions 2/$10.

Every weekend for like 3 months.

surprisingly I’m not tired of them. I’m could do another 3 month stint.
I have never bought a ready made meatloaf. But I think meatloaf is pretty versatile just in how you season it. Usually I use the blender to pulverize the celery, onion eggs etc. and spices together. Then I mix the concoction together with the meat and add panko bread crumbs. When my kids were young and hated veggies but loved meatloaf, I would hide all kinds of veggies in the meatloaf pulverizing them in the blender with everything else. During those days we had meatloaf once a week and as they ate it up I was happy knowing they got nutrients they needed they did not want to eat.

One of my favorite meatloaf recipes is making your favorite recipe then pressing it out on a piece of parchment or wax paper in an oblong shape. For every pound of ground meat you use, have a package of frozen spinach that you have thawed and squeezed all the liquid out. Spread that on the meat you have pressed into the oblong shape. Then spread at least two cups of shredded swiss cheese on top. Start at one end and roll the meat up, place in a loaf pan and bake. When you cut into slices you have a very pretty pinwheel effect that tastes really good!

Left over charcoal grilled boneless ribeye steak sandwiches on French baguette with mayo, tomato, onion and Danish Cream Havarti cheese.
Havarti is my favorite cheese. I'll have to make a deli run tomorrow.

After having to cook so much due to COVID, I look for every shortcut available. I asked hubby to pick up some already shredded cabbage for slaw. He came home with a kit put out by Dole called Fiesta Lime slaw. It came with the dressing and all the spices. So I threw it together to go with my pan fried orange roughy that I put through the dredge station of flour with all the seasonings, then the egg wash, then into the panko bread crumbs and fried in Crisco oil. We also had Ore-Ida frozen french fries baked in the oven. The fish was delicious. The fries were good but that slaw? Never again.

It must be an age thing...I love greasy food but it doesn’t love me lol...keeps me slim though. I also find the indigestion destroys sleep quality.

That beef Madras I had the other day meant I got 2 hours sleep...😂🤣
bet it was worth it!

my downfalll is not all fat, but milk fat ... especially from ice cream

cream and sugar feeds my addiction

and supper was friend chicken and gravy, grits (with gravy, naturally), and collard greens

After having to cook so much due to COVID, I look for every shortcut available. I asked hubby to pick up some already shredded cabbage for slaw. He came home with a kit put out by Dole called Fiesta Lime slaw. It came with the dressing and all the spices. So I threw it together to go with my pan fried orange roughy that I put through the dredge station of flour with all the seasonings, then the egg wash, then into the panko bread crumbs and fried in Crisco oil. We also had Ore-Ida frozen french fries baked in the oven. The fish was delicious. The fries were good but that slaw? Never again.
here is a carolina slaw recipe; it's best when prepared about 12 hours prior to serving:
  • 3 LBS. cabbage
  • 3 ribs of celery
  • 1 onion (yellow)
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 3 carrots
  • 2 C sugar (Hawaiian when you can get it.)
Shred, chop or dice all and mix with sugar. Set cabbage mixture aside.
  • 1/2 Cup of white vinegar
  • 1/2 Cup of Apple Cider vinegar
  • 1/2 C olive oil (my twist)
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp (kosher salt)
Bring all the five items immediately above to a boil and pour over cabbage mixture and chill overnight.

After having to cook so much due to COVID, I look for every shortcut available. I asked hubby to pick up some already shredded cabbage for slaw. He came home with a kit put out by Dole called Fiesta Lime slaw. It came with the dressing and all the spices. So I threw it together to go with my pan fried orange roughy that I put through the dredge station of flour with all the seasonings, then the egg wash, then into the panko bread
d crumbs and fried in Crisco oil. We also had Ore-Ida frozen french fries baked in the oven. The fish was delicious. The fries were good but that slaw? Never again.
I always wonder if those kits are any good. Lime and slaw don't seem to compliment one another unless it's a little lime squirted on some chopped cabbage atop a fish taco.
At any rate, I have Colonel Sander's like simile recipe for cole slaw. Absolutely delish. If you want it I will post it.

We made chicken Marsala tonight for dinner.

I always wonder if those kits are any good. Lime and slaw don't seem to compliment one another unless it's a little lime squirted on some chopped cabbage atop a fish taco.
At any rate, I have Colonel Sander's like simile recipe for cole slaw. Absolutely delish. If you want it I will post it.

We made chicken Marsala tonight for dinner.
The slaw had a lot of cilantro in it and I hate cilantro. If a recipe calls for it, I eliminate it and replace with another herb.
I have those copycat cookbooks of restaurant favorites and one has a couple of pages of KFC recipes. I am sure their slaw is among them. But thank you. I love those cookbooks because with restaurants they switch up their menus. You find a favorite and the next time you go it is no longer on the menu. And then there are the restaurant chains that close down. The copycat cookbooks you often find the recipes you can no longer get .

One restaurant we girls loved to gather for lunch was Romano's Macaroni Grill But unfortunately they closed all their locations close to me. They are missed. The atmosphere was nice. The tables all had white tablecloths with lit lanterns. The kitchen was semi-open where you could see the chefs in their white jackets and the pizza oven almost every place you were seated. I never got a bad meal there. My three favorites were Chicken Marsala, Eggplant Parmesan, and Margherita Pizza. After they closed, I have been having a hard time finding a place that actually peels their eggplant as a step in preparation. Even a high end restaurant that my son took me for a Mother's Day dinner one year could not hold a candle to the Macaroni Grill's Chicken Marsala. I have made Chicken Marsala a couple of times. It was not what I was hoping for so if you have a good recipe for it, I am interested.

Last edited:
I made baked ziti.

I remembered that I had a clamshell of spinach that I bought because it was labeled spring greens, but in truth, there was a handful of mixed greens on top and 90% of it was spinach. I made a salad of the spring greens on top and put the rest in the fridge but didn't really know what to do with it. Last night I checked the use-by date on the tub of ricotta and noticed that I had 1/2 of green pepper, so I decided to make either ziti or lasagna to use up the ricotta, spinach, and green pepper. Zita was faster so that is what I made.
I made a quick bolognese with a 1/3 lb of frozen burger, a link of Italian sausage, the usual aromatics, and a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes and a little red wine. I wilted the spinach and added it to the ricotta, some mushroom stems, and egg and pureed it in the food processor to make the cheese filling. It was surprisingly good with warmed bread, and I have more than half for a quick meal of leftovers.

The slaw had a lot of cilantro in it and I hate cilantro. If a recipe calls for it, I eliminate it and replace with another herb.
I have those copycat cookbooks of restaurant favorites and one has a couple of pages of KFC recipes. I am sure their slaw is among them. But thank you. I love those cookbooks because with restaurants they switch up their menus. You find a favorite and the next time you go it is no longer on the menu. And then there are the restaurant chains that close down. The copycat cookbooks you often find the recipes you can no longer get .

One restaurant we girls loved to gather for lunch was Romano's Macaroni Grill But unfortunately they closed all their locations close to me. They are missed. The atmosphere was nice. The tables all had white tablecloths with lit lanterns. The kitchen was semi-open where you could see the chefs in their white jackets and the pizza oven almost every place you were seated. I never got a bad meal there. My three favorites were Chicken Marsala, Eggplant Parmesan, and Margherita Pizza. After they closed, I have been having a hard time finding a place that actually peels their eggplant as a step in preparation. Even a high end restaurant that my son took me for a Mother's Day dinner one year could not hold a candle to the Macaroni Grill's Chicken Marsala. I have made Chicken Marsala a couple of times. It was not what I was hoping for so if you have a good recipe for it, I am interested.
You need to play with thee amounts and spices until you find what you like.

I occasionally make chicken marsala and leave out the chicken as a vegetarian meal. I substitute more mushrooms and a bulb of fennel in the sauce and serve it over linguini. Firm tofu chunks soaked on marsala also make it more filling.

I remember Romanos macaroni grill. There was one in west Akron by where I-77 and Rt 18 cross. The website says its still there. I hadn't noticed it.

Last edited:
"Stir Fry" made in a heavy black fry pan with olive oil, onions, crushed garlic, shallots, baby Bella mushrooms, broccoli and beef sirloin tip, served over white rice.

bet it was worth it!

my downfalll is not all fat, but milk fat ... especially from ice cream

cream and sugar feeds my addiction

and supper was friend chicken and gravy, grits (with gravy, naturally), and collard greens
I love a good curry...especially a good takeaway...there’s something great about waiting and getting good food delivered...Imo, it’s nicer than cooking it yourself because you haven’t been tasting and smelling it all day lol.

My problem is fat from heated food ( grease) ...it goes straight through me and destroys my sleep...as I’ve got older it’s become a real issue because I need to get up at 5.30 so getting 2 hours sleep becomes a problem over time. Cold fat does not make you put weight on , sugar and pretend sugar does that, those ****ers tell your body to store the fat you’re eating rather than do what my body does ...😂..it’s very hard to eat a pound of fat, very easy to eat a pound of carbs.

Addiction is a funny thing...controlled addiction can be very fulfilling...letting yourself go now and then...just letting yourself go all the time is no fun at all ...that’s my opinion any way.

Your supper sounds fantastic.

Baked potatoes with tuna , sweet corn and Mayo...potatoes were scooped out and mashed with butter and milk..sprinkle of grated mature Cheddar on top. Tasty.

I made baked ziti.

I remembered that I had a clamshell of spinach that I bought because it was labeled spring greens, but in truth, there was a handful of mixed greens on top and 90% of it was spinach. I made a salad of the spring greens on top and put the rest in the fridge but didn't really know what to do with it. Last night I checked the use-by date on the tub of ricotta and noticed that I had 1/2 of green pepper, so I decided to make either ziti or lasagna to use up the ricotta, spinach, and green pepper. Zita was faster so that is what I made.
I made a quick bolognese with a 1/3 lb of frozen burger, a link of Italian sausage, the usual aromatics, and a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes and a little red wine. I wilted the spinach and added it to the ricotta, some mushroom stems, and egg and pureed it in the food processor to make the cheese filling. It was surprisingly good with warmed bread, and I have more than half for a quick meal of leftovers.

You need to play with thee amounts and spices until you find what you like.

I occasionally make chicken marsala and leave out the chicken as a vegetarian meal. I substitute more mushrooms and a bulb of fennel in the sauce and serve it over linguini. Firm tofu chunks soaked on marsala also make it more filling.

I remember Romanos macaroni grill. There was one in west Akron by where I-77 and Rt 18 cross. The website says its still there. I hadn't noticed it.
Thanks for the recipe Lisa. Looks good.

Grilled porterhouse, hasselback potatoes and asparagus, 4 Vines 2018 pinot noir . It was a special occasion. Tomorrow is "steak hash" from the left-overs and a salad.
Porterhouse deserves a Cab...., but the rest is good ;)

I love a good curry...especially a good takeaway...there’s something great about waiting and getting good food delivered...Imo, it’s nicer than cooking it yourself because you haven’t been tasting and smelling it all day lol.

My problem is fat from heated food ( grease) ...it goes straight through me and destroys my sleep...as I’ve got older it’s become a real issue because I need to get up at 5.30 so getting 2 hours sleep becomes a problem over time. Cold fat does not make you put weight on , sugar and pretend sugar does that, those ****ers tell your body to store the fat you’re eating rather than do what my body does ...😂..it’s very hard to eat a pound of fat, very easy to eat a pound of carbs.

Addiction is a funny thing...controlled addiction can be very fulfilling...letting yourself go now and then...just letting yourself go all the time is no fun at all ...that’s my opinion any way.

Your supper sounds fantastic.
Curry is one of those things that fall in line with Thai and seafood. I love them but the wife won't touch it.

So, I don't get it nearly as much as I'd like.

With the disdain for curry, obviously negates any chance at Indian so, that's out too...

small Caesar salad
lasagna bites
baked artisan bread.

man, after many months of shit white bread, i had forgotten how good a fresh baked loaf of artisan bread tastes.

Thanks for the recipe Lisa. Looks good.
Any recipe for lasagna also works for baked ziti. I tend to boil the pasta barely flexible but far short of al'dente because it will cook for another 45-90 minutes in the casserole. I compensate by using more sauce because that moisture will be absorbed by the pasta as it cooks. In a rush, I have made lasagna without boiling the noodles at all. It works just fine. It just bakes for another 15-20 minutes.

Tonight I made chicken and rice soup. I started with the idea of making chicken and dumpling but I'm trying to cut down on simple cards and I had quarts of chicken soup base that I made about 2 weeks ago when the local grocery store was selling breasts and thighs that they got for cheaper from the processor because they were imperfect cuts. I really don't care if the breast or thigh isn't picture perfect enough for the cover of Bon Appetit but when it's $1.00 less per pound I'm going to buy it. I made up 2 gallons of chicken stock and added in the breast and thigh meat that I had seared and the rough chopped. I put 2 quarts of the soup base in a cast iron pan and simmered it with herbs and spices for 90 minutes. I added 1/2 a carton of sliced crimini mushrooms and 1 cup of wild rice. Warm bread and a bowl of soup was pretty good when there is snow on the ground.

Falafel, hummus, M'hammara, pita, za'atar...

Lebanese night...
I'm jealous. I hate the mess of deep-frying so I won't make falafel at home. I've made pita many times to pair with grilled lamb or chicken, and even made tabbouleh in the summer when I have an excess of tomatoes and parsley. One of these times I'm going to try to make koshari.

We are having chicken mozzarella raviolis with browned butter.
A butter lettuce salad accompanied by chopped tomatoes and French fried onions and croutons.
Garlic buttered toasted Paninis

Back
Top Bottom