• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are some ways to reduce police shootings of unarmed people of color?

What should be done to increase police accountability

• Mandatory diversity and tolerance training

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Conflict deescalation classes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Remove white cops from black neighborhoods

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • More civilian complaint review boards

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Remove police firearms: require use of tasers or pepper spray

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Mandatory body cameras

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters
Why do you believe that?

I'm confused by your response. Surely you know that what she is referring to is the thugs and criminals have a responsibility to have respect for the police and not resist arrest and let the legal system decide if they are innocent or guilty. I mean, what on Earth do these people think might happen if they are belligerent and resist arrest or try to take away the policeperson's gun? Assuming you have met up with a bad rogue cop, is this really the smartest course of action? Is being a martyr the best way to get rid of that bad rogue cop?

Maybe if Mao didn't want to deal with a "dissident population" he shouldn't have overthrown the KMT's rule on the mainland.

Every "reform" Mao made came at the cost of thousands upon thousands dead.

I asked people to prove. Not to repeat anti-Mao propoganda...

I'm confused by your response. Surely you know that what she is referring to is the thugs and criminals have a responsibility to have respect for the police and not resist arrest and let the legal system decide if they are innocent or guilty. I mean, what on Earth do these people think might happen if they are belligerent and resist arrest or try to take away the policeperson's gun? Assuming you have met up with a bad rogue cop, is this really the smartest course of action? Is being a martyr the best way to get rid of that bad rogue cop?
But what has her question got to do with my statement?

Sorry, but the option taking their weapons away in a country where there are so many weapons is just lunacy. In the UK it may work but in the US that would be suicide for officers to be unarmed while confronted (potentially) with much heavier weaponry. Not a viable option IMHO, as said, it would be tantamount to suicide for police officers and if that is enforced I would think all police officers will stop work immediately/resign.

Well the very low percentage of officers that have criminal acts should be charged.

Possibly a committee mixed of Black citizens and law enforcement have case by case review of lethal shootings or police wrong doing.

Possibly a public education campaign for ALL citizens of the very high risk and difficult profession of law enforcement so they fully understand when the seemingly reach for a gun or have a gun or resist arrest what the officer might have to do to protect himself and innocent citizens.

Maybe citizens need to review police videos of how they would respond to a possible lethal weapon and situations. Recently BLM were more likely to pull the trigger.

Gun control for felons, mentally unstable and weapons of mass distraction. Gun safety for those who want to carry and how to respond to law enforcement.

Oh and if a thug or a punk beats us a business owner and tries to grab a cops gun --- maybe realizing that he might be likely to get himself shot.

All communities should have dialogue between law enforcement and citizens.

Terrorist groups targeting law enforcement needs to be criminalized not applauded. You are not a racist if you oppose violence on cops.

That is just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Well the very low percentage of officers that have criminal acts should be charged.

Possibly a committee mixed of Black citizens and law enforcement have case by case review of lethal shootings or police wrong doing.

Possibly a public education campaign for ALL citizens of the very high risk and difficult profession of law enforcement so they fully understand when the seemingly reach for a gun or have a gun or resist arrest what the officer might have to do to protect himself and innocent citizens.

Maybe citizens need to review police videos of how they would respond to a possible lethal weapon and situations. Recently BLM were more likely to pull the trigger.

Gun control for felons, mentally unstable and weapons of mass distraction. Gun safety for those who want to carry and how to respond to law enforcement.

Oh and if a thug or a punk beats us a business owner and tries to grab a cops gun --- maybe realizing that he might be likely to get himself shot.

All communities should have dialogue between law enforcement and citizens.

Terrorist groups targeting law enforcement needs to be criminalized not applauded. You are not a racist if you oppose violence on cops.

That is just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Fortunately for us, everything you suggest is either already being done or is standard practice. But you can be certain that none of your suggestions will satisfy the likes of BLM and the OP of this thread. All they want is to see heads roll.

Fortunately for us, everything you suggest is either already being done or is standard practice. But you can be certain that none of your suggestions will satisfy the likes of BLM and the OP of this thread. All they want is to see heads roll.

Well I think some people that normally would not support a terrorist group are still applauding terrorist groups as they do not seem to comprehend what it is really about. You can opposed BLM inciting violence towards law enforcement and not be a racist and support civil rights.

Some of the suggestions are taking place in some cities.

I am not sure about how wide spread the public education videos are and should be taught in public schools to protect our public servants.

I am not seeing difficult police scenarios being shown to citizens yet I do nt have a television.

Last edited:
NPR
There are few if any QUALIFIED ''black'' policeman applicants .
Thus , education has a long long way to go . OR maybe , the problem is much more than just ''education '' .
This we may never know ....

Well I think some people that normally would not support a terrorist group are still applauding terrorist groups as they do not seem to comprehend what it is really about. You can opposed BLM inciting violence towards law enforcement and not be a racist and support civil rights.

Some of the suggestions are taking place in some cities.

I am not sure about how wide spread the public education videos are and should be taught in public schools to protect our public servants.

I am not seeing difficult police scenarios being shown to citizens yet I do nt have a television.

It's all on youtube.

The poll here allows you to choose more than one answer, since there is no one "right answer." However, most people agree that the level of police brutality in this country, especially towards people of color, in unacceptable, and something needs to be done about it.

People could stop breaking the law.

Well, I can't time travel, so I can't teleport you back to Cold War China for you to see for yourself.

What was the argument you were refuting?

Objectively speaking, I would say that there is one undeniable way to reduce police shootings of unarmed people of color.

People of color should stop committing crimes, hanging out with other criminals, attracting attention to themselves by acting like jackasses, and (when stopped by law enforcement professionals) going for the cops side-arm.

And in general, treat the cops with gentility and politeness.
Respect is good, but failing that, just don't act like a criminal dork.

Just saying.
Stop phucking up and you will never get shot.
These words I speak are true.

Peace, out.
:)

Other.

Cops and the people they protect need to be involved with each other socially.
Rather than seeing each other as being opposite sides of a....not conflict, exactly, but something like that.

Of course, this is already the case in some communities.

I do believe it has to start in 2 specific areas police training and civilian training ypu must weed out the scared cops and I know that is hard to do.. and they must have extensive training with treating everyone the same... definitely must have community policing number 0ne item... churches and schools must have the police teach the public how to act at a stop without giving up their rights but to let the police feel not threatened by them. this is a 2 sided coin

I do believe it has to start in 2 specific areas police training and civilian training ypu must weed out the scared cops and I know that is hard to do.. and they must have extensive training with treating everyone the same... definitely must have community policing number 0ne item... churches and schools must have the police teach the public how to act at a stop without giving up their rights but to let the police feel not threatened by them. this is a 2 sided coin

While I don't dismiss the possibliity that there are "scared cops", I have to say that I've never met any. I HAVE met cops that are aware of the possibility of danger and who are ready to take steps that protect themselves...and others...from such danger. I'd say they were taught very well.

Back
Top Bottom