• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'We'd make the same decision,' zoo director says of gorilla shooting

And again, as already pointed out, not everybody believes that.
Do you really not understand that?

What I would do is irrelevant to the fact that not every one believes the same.

The internet is replete with examples of people who died in an attempt to save an animal. Or do you also not want to admit that?

Hilarious.
Spare us the outrage schtick.
That part was meant as satire in relation to the facts.

Ah yes; Humans ... so fallible.
I understand your anthropocentric viewpoint and why you have it. But that doesn't make it correct.

You may believe that. The majority of a human population may believe that.
But it is not an absolute and is not believed by all. Secondly, there is absolutely nothing that definitively establishes the human animal's life as being more valuable than any other animal's life.

You obviously have the internet and it is replete with examples of folks not believing like you do in regards to this situation, let alone in anthropocentrism in general. I would suggest you avail yourself of it to see those differing viewpoints.

Of course the comment was based in satire.

The "Hmmm? Let's see." should have given that away.

Yet the closing sentence of "this is what happens when you value one animal species over another" still holds true, especially as humans have a conceited point of view.

Those "differing viewpoints" are outrageous. Anyone who would condemn a human child to death over an animal...is not fit enough to be walking free. Animal life is not as valuable. Period. You want to try and divorce "emotion?" That gorilla is dead and the zoo won't be held responsible for killing the gorilla over the kid. Animals don't get rights like humans do. We keep animals as pets. We are objectively superior to them on the intellectual scale.

Again...anyone who does not believe that human life is more valuable is objectively inferior on the evolutionary scale. Hence why you have idiots who die over animal life.

yeah been there done that too, we had 3 under the age of 4. Youngest was an escape artist, he's now 23. Once the older ones unlocked the front door and he escaped once while the mrs was showering and I was at work. Apparently it was quite the scene chasing down a naked 3 year old (IDK how that happened but whatever, lol) with the mrs running down the block soaking wet with a robe on. He also escaped whilst my daughter was having her first communion, it took us a bit to find/catch him as there were front and back stairs to the basement in the church. His favorite game was sneaking out and hiding in the bushes in the back yard and not saying a peep. Anyway the little **** managed to escape on numerous occasions.

He's the peaceful one with the binky.

Your kids are (I guess were?) adorable! Not sure how long ago that was taken. The little lady on the back right is sporting an expression that cracks me up.:lol:

Your kids are (I guess were?) adorable! Not sure how long ago that was taken. The little lady on the back right is sporting an expression that cracks me up.:lol:

Probably taken sometime in '94. Daughter was born '89, boys were '91 & '92. And yes and past tense is appropriate for their adorableness, no more, lol.

Those "differing viewpoints" are outrageous. Anyone who would condemn a human child to death over an animal...is not fit enough to be walking free. Animal life is not as valuable. Period. You want to try and divorce "emotion?" That gorilla is dead and the zoo won't be held responsible for killing the gorilla over the kid. Animals don't get rights like humans do. We keep animals as pets. We are objectively superior to them on the intellectual scale.
Hilarious.
Way to ignore what was actually conveyed.

Again...anyone who does not believe that human life is more valuable is objectively inferior on the evolutionary scale.
Your view point is noted.
It is also something that can not be proven, and as such, is laughable.

Re: RIP Harambe

Old news.

Not intending to be flippant, but it's true.

It's really not, check out what's going on in Fallujah this week. 20k estimated children trapped in the city.

But this is what we do now as a society. He fixate on " stories" which are fuelled by social media and we debate on the subject until some new # comes along.
We saw it with dogs in hot cars, Cecil the lion, etc. It's all white noise distracting us from real issues, if anything the fact these stories become such big news is just another example of how selfish we have become as a society.

It's really not, check out what's going on in Fallujah this week. 20k estimated children trapped in the city.

But this is what we do now as a society. He fixate on " stories" which are fuelled by social media and we debate on the subject until some new # comes along.
We saw it with dogs in hot cars, Cecil the lion, etc. It's all white noise distracting us from real issues, if anything the fact these stories become such big news is just another example of how selfish we have become as a society.
Right... old news.

Again...anyone who does not believe that human life is more valuable is objectively inferior on the evolutionary scale. Hence why you have idiots who die over animal life.

I think the opposite is true in this case and people should re-evaluate the value of one human life vs. the life of one animal which is critical to the survival of an entire species of sentient animals.

I think the opposite is true in this case and people should re-evaluate the value of one human life vs. the life of one animal which is critical to the survival of an entire species of sentient animals.

You sound like one of those people who treat their dog better than they treat people. I think it is a form of mental illness. This planet belongs to humans, we are the superior species, we have the might to see that our will is done. Other species has no right to survive once they negatively impact our quality of life, if gorillas are bad for us we should kill them just as we kill Smallpox.

Right... old news.

It's not old it's just " boring" to a large majority of the population. They would rather debate on what colour is that dress than how does the Iraq army take Fallujah without killing thousands of people.

You sound like one of those people who treat their dog better than they treat people. I think it is a form of mental illness. This planet belongs to humans, we are the superior species, we have the might to see that our will is done. Other species has no right to survive once they negatively impact our quality of life, if gorillas are bad for us we should kill them just as we kill Smallpox.

I wish I could say what I really want to say.....

This kind of thing is not new. Social media has merely spread on a worldwide scale what has always been a very human tendency to gossip. I really wouldn't read anything more into it. This is not any indication whatsoever as to the degree of selfishness in any society. It's just what humans do. Something happens in the neighborhood and all of a sudden everyone's got an opinion. The internet has made the "neighborhood" one hell of a lot bigger, is all.

As to why people prefer to discuss these minor, trivial issues, instead of the bigger ones? Well, that's because the bigger issues like war and large scale human suffering in faraway places are often too complicated, depressing, overwhelming and we feel we have no control over the magnitude of it all. Humans like the illusion of being in control, so gossiping and passing judgment on our neighbors is one way to achieve that illusion.

This post brought to you courtesy of Arcana's Sociology 101 class :prof

You managed to sum up the hubris of the human race in a single paragraph so I suppose there should be some congratulations for that. To set the record straight, I'm more of a cat person and I don't treat them better than people. I also don't blow their brains out for scratching my furniture or pay someone to mutilate their feet on the grounds that their anatomy is inconvenient to me.

Our species dominated the planet but, as the old saying goes, might does not make right. We are a species with the intelligence to make complex moral and value judgements so the burden of good stewardship of the planet we have conquered falls on us. You suggest that our behavior should reflect that of the basest of animals. I suggest that our behavior should be commiserate with our intellectual capacity and our obligation of good stewardship, particularly as it relates to other sentient and intelligent animals.

Last edited:
Did Cincinnati Zoo really have to kill a rare gorilla? - CNN.com

This was completely unnecessary killing a gorilla that shouldn't be there in the first place. What a gross overreaction caused by a negligent mother that couldn't control her child.

I'm more concerned about why it's so easy for anyone, even a moron that deserves it (as opposed to a four year old, who has barely had time to appreciate that it now has self-consciousness and no time to contemplate it), to get into these cages from the outside.

I'd also question whether someone who has remarked on the "overreaction" of a parent to a situation that presents a real risk of death to a child, even accidentally caused by a far more massive Gorilla trying to protect it, has ever been a parent. I haven't, but from what I gather, most decent parents would challenge Satan before his throne in a bid to defend their child....

....it's likely part of why we're still here as a species.

You managed to sum up the hubris of the human race in a single paragraph so I suppose there should be some congratulations for that. To set the record straight, I'm more of a cat person and I don't treat them better than people. I also don't blow their brains out for scratching my furniture or pay someone to mutilate their feet on the grounds that their anatomy is inconvenient to me.

Our species dominated the planet but, as the old saying goes, might does not make right. We are a species with the intelligence to make complex moral and value judgements so the burden of good stewardship of the planet we have conquered falls on us. You suggest that our behavior should reflect that of the basest of animals. I suggest that our behavior should be commiserate with our intellectual capacity and our obligation of good stewardship, particularly as it relates to other sentient and intelligent animals.

If a bear was about to maul your child, you wouldn't shoot it?

F*ck the gorilla, I'm just happy the kid is alright.

They made the right choice.

Better safe than sorry.

Ya I used to think like that, but then I decided that good stewardship of the planet is defined by maximizing its value to humans, as measured by our quality of life.

If a bear was about to maul your child, you wouldn't shoot it?

Emotion driven decision making isn't a virtue, but maybe. Of course, I think there's only 1 species of critically endangered bears and I'll never encounter them anywhere but a zoo so that makes the decision easier. I think if you're facing a choice between 1 child out of billions of humans or another animal more intelligent than that child and critical to the survival of its entire species then the outcome should be weighted in favor of the other animal. Anymore emotionally charged questions?

Emotion driven decision making isn't a virtue, but maybe. Of course, I think there's only 1 species of critically endangered bears and I'll never encounter them anywhere but a zoo so that makes the decision easier. I think if you're facing a choice between 1 child out of billions of humans or another animal more intelligent than that child and critical to the survival of its entire species then the outcome should be weighted in favor of the other animal. Anymore emotionally charged questions?

Parental instinct isn't an "emotion driven decision," it's a survival trait that virtually every species on the planet exhibits. Essentially any species will fight to protect its offspring. Many species will even fight to protect another animal's offspring, even many non-social animals. It's an evolutionary mechanism for continuance of the species. For some reason, you think humans should ignore evolution.

How very illogical of you.

Why should I get emotionally attached to an endangered species? What benefit do I obtain from the existence of pandas?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom