• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WATCH: Out-of-control cop pummels 'shoplifter' mom in front of infant daughter

I simply listened and watched the video and the reporter said the father was "well known to the police". Where I come from, that's not code for he's a great guy and we all love him. Where I come from, that usually means he's either been arrested several times or he's been present at several locations where police have been called in. My interpretation is obviously subject to correction, but that's the impression left by the reporting.

It's an interpretation that speaks to the perception of police officers as being close minded, intolerant and prejudiced.

I'm not, but I've seen the interviews after the swelling is long since gone and I have worked in the medical profession for long enough to know blind eyes don't track like that.

She didn't say she was blind.

It's not my "claim", but clearly my supposition given the data available. Give it a rest.

Here is what you said:

It's stated in all the articles that the boyfriend/kid's father? is well known to the police, and not in a good way.

You did not make a supposition. You stated it as a fact stated in all of the articles. The truth is, none of the article say that.

Gov't employed morons seem to be beyond being held personally responsible. The gov't will likely decide to let the taxpayers settle (reward the victim) to make this wrong become right.

I am going to guess that eventually this cop will be thrown off of the force. I am sure that the lady will get some cash.

I am going to guess that eventually this cop will be thrown off of the force. I am sure that the lady will get some cash.

I doubt that very much, unless he is so stupid as do get caught on (non-police) video again. ;)

It's an interpretation that speaks to the perception of police officers as being close minded, intolerant and prejudiced.

An interpretation which is reinforced every time some stupid cop does something stupid like this.

An interpretation which is reinforced every time some stupid cop does something stupid like this.

Which is why some of the responses can be boiled down to "What did she expect for mouthing off to the cop?"

I doubt that very much, unless he is so stupid as do get caught on (non-police) video again. ;)

I am not looking for an argument here, but it's reasonable to believe that if enough pressure is applied this guy will be gone.

This is not a guy who can't be be replaced by a better, more effective person.

Last edited:
Totally inappropriate and excessive force by the two officers involved (one of them actually held her down for the beating). I'm stunned by people who are shrugging this off, or implying that because she had been caught shoplifting, beating the crap out of her was justified. As for those dismissing her eye injury, a retinal detachment is not uncommon with severe blows to the eye, and even though the retina can be repaired, there can indeed be significant vision loss. Partial vision loss does not affect the ability of the eye to "track", particularly if the vision loss is reduced by correction contact lenses.

Bottom line, two police officers beat this woman's face to a pulp. They should have been fired immediately. I hope the city that kept them on the job is prepared to write a big fat settlement check.

Gov't employed morons seem to be beyond being held personally responsible. The gov't will likely decide to let the taxpayers settle (reward the victim) to make this wrong become right.

Well, it's done in the taxpayer's name, and the taxpayers should pony up for what is done in their name when they don't care enough to even be outraged about it.

I would like to see individual officers potentially be liable, too, though. Not to the point where they face a lawsuit for everything they do, but not the deep level of immunity they currently enjoy, either.

Back
Top Bottom