• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was This Acceptable? [W:110]

Was confiscating feminine hygrene products acceptable in this case?

• Total voters
Re: Was This Acceptable?

I don't know if it's acceptable or not, but the symbolism of confiscating feminine hygiene products at a senate debate on abortion was an outright media coup for Pro-Choice: the image that conservative men just want to control women's bodies is driven home rather effectively. The fact that the senate didn't seem to really consider the impact this would have only further establishes a general cluelessness on their part.

That's exactly why the protestors did it. They would win either way. Either they'd get to throw the tampons or they'd get them confiscated and it would make the politicians look bad.

I think it's pretty obvious what they were trying when individual women had purses stuffed full of tampons. As if that were normal.

So, the story is going around, you probably have heard about it. Big abortion debate/vote in Texas yesterday, and on fears that some protesters might throw them into the assembly, tampons and pads where being confiscated before people could enter the viewing area.

Supposedly the Texas legislature heard from somewhere that they might be possibly used to disrupt the proceedings. So my question is, do you find this action justifiable?

The object itself is irrelevant. If the plan was to hurl gummi bears at the senators, they would've confiscated that too. The tampons were a strategic move by the protestors to make their situation a win-win.

free expression, in no way, suggests a right to commit assault and battery.

Honestly, the entire notion is ****ing stupid, and it's amazing someone would try delivering such in a condescending tone
Yes, I can see the headlines now...."CCW Texas legislature assaulted by tampons"

rotfl

But it does have consequences, so it's not really truly freedom.

At the most it would be battery......with a tampon. rotfl

Yes, I can see the headlines now...."CCW Texas legislature assaulted by tampons"

rotfl

How does that even make sense to you as a response to what I wrote?

How does that even make sense to you as a response to what I wrote?

Sorry, I don't have any sources for you to dispute. Now you have nothing to argue against. lol

Probably not in this case.

They collected what they could to avoid things being thrown. That seems to be what their actual policy was. If you're willing to ignore that and instead choose to believe they were only collecting tampons because evil men want to enslave women and their bodies or something equally ridiculous than it probably doesn't matter what policy they had in place. This topic is more of an issue of partisan hackery than anything else.

It's a pad/tampon. They can't really be thrown all that well unless it's weighted down and unless it's in a box it's not going to hurt anyone. If the issue was about collecting things that could be thrown they would have confiscated more then tampons and just some snack bars.

You don't take personal hygiene products away from someone. Anyone who thinks it's okay either doesn't care all that much about authority figures being able to take away your simple/non harmful/desperately needed personal hygiene products or they just can't empathize all that well in this case because it's something that only affects women.

Do the facts matter even a little?

Apparently not to some, nor reason.

Back
Top Bottom