• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:436] Biden declares himself 'blameless' if US defaults on debt: 'I've done my part'

So answer the question where did the 2017-2019 deficits come from
I was being facetious. The same place all deficits come from, spending more than what's collected.
You have no understanding of the private sector, incentive, or damage government does to businesses
The U.S. economy requires persistent deficit spending to maintain a low rate of unemployment. That's the bottom line. If the private sector was creating more employment opportunities by higher levels of domestic investment, there would be more job holders paying enough taxes to put the budget back into balance. But it doesn't.
Almost 7 million new taxpayers 2017-2019
You mean 2020?

FWIW, there were 6.732 million jobs created between January 2017 and January 2020.

I'm not sure how that has anything to do with what we are discussing.
Not difficult at all, what was the money spent on creating more deficits
That was up to 30 years prior. I don't find you capable of following a simple discussion. There was more than enough revenue generated between 1998 and 2021 to cover all the cost of government including interest payments.

I was being facetious. The same place all deficits come from, spending more than what's collected.

On what? What line items
The U.S. economy requires persistent deficit spending to maintain a low rate of unemployment. That's the bottom line. If the private sector was creating more employment opportunities by higher levels of domestic investment, there would be more job holders paying enough taxes to put the budget back into balance. But it doesn't.

In your dreams and personal needs
yes pre pandemic due to economicpolicies
I'm not sure how that has anything to do with what we are discussing.

That was up to 30 years prior. I don't find you capable of following a simple discussion. There was more than enough revenue generated between 1998 and 2021 to cover all the cost of government including interest payments.
The problem is yours, diversion, distortions, no context

On what? What line items
Why waste time asking me these questions? If you have a point then make it.
In your dreams and personal needs
It's simply a matter of fact. Why else would the U.S. economy require a $984 billion deficit to achieve the low unemployment rate in 2019? For some strange reason, the Trump economy couldn't eclipse 3% rGDP growth with deficits approaching $1 trillion, even with all of the tax cuts and deregulation. I'd be an angry mess too if i had a political obsession and it continued to let me down this much.
yes pre pandemic due to economicpolicies
It wasn't any better than years prior.
fredgraph.png

The problem is yours, diversion, distortions, no context
I don't respond to posts that point out the fact here were surpluses in 1998, 1999, and 2000 with a bunch of questions about tax cuts from 2019. That's pathetic reasoning exemplifying zero ability to navigate a discussion. If you want to state that in 2000, about $150 billion of S.S. tax proceeds were in excess of outlays... go on right ahead. It doesn't negate the surplus years.

Why waste time asking me these questions? If you have a point then make it.
Yes it is as you have been indoctrinated into believing we have a unified budget with all revenue and expenses being in the same category, not true at all
It's simply a matter of fact. Why else would the U.S. economy require a $984 billion deficit to achieve the low unemployment rate in 2019? For some strange reason, the Trump economy couldn't eclipse 3% rGDP growth with deficits approaching $1 trillion, even with all of the tax cuts and deregulation. I'd be an angry mess too if i had a political obsession and it continued to let me down this much.
Because interest expense on the 20 trillion dollar debt inherited and mandatory cost of living adjustments to SSand Medicare. Gave you the breakdown many times, you ignored it
It wasn't any better than years prior.
fredgraph.png

I don't respond to posts that point out the fact here were surpluses in 1998, 1999, and 2000 with a bunch of questions about tax cuts from 2019. That's pathetic reasoning exemplifying zero ability to navigate a discussion. If you want to state that in 2000, about $150 billion of S.S. tax proceeds were in excess of outlays... go on right ahead. It doesn't negate the surplus years.
Yes, you keep promoting the false narrative of the left ignoring what deficits Clinton created. Proceeds were borrowed from SS and Medicare creating future interest expenses. You don't borrow from SS and Medicare you generate a better return for recipients

Yes it is as you have been indoctrinated into believing we have a unified budget
From Wikipedia:
~In the United States a unified budget is a federal government budget in which receipts and outlays from federal funds and the Social Security Trust Fund are consolidated.[1] The change to a unified budget resulted in a single measure of the fiscal status of the government, based on the sum of all government activity.~
Because interest expense on the 20 trillion dollar debt inherited and mandatory cost of living adjustments to SSand Medicare.
Trump's economy couldn't achieve deficit reduction much less actually achieving a balanced budget even with tax cuts and deregulation. I see why you're so angry and bitter all the time.
You don't borrow from SS and Medicare you generate a better return for recipients
Your opinion is worthless.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:
~In the United States a unified budget is a federal government budget in which receipts and outlays from federal funds and the Social Security Trust Fund are consolidated.[1] The change to a unified budget resulted in a single measure of the fiscal status of the government, based on the sum of all government activity.~
Yes thanks for the definition confirming my statement, it was created by LBJ in the 60s and then rejected because SS and Medicare have no business being put on bundget
Trump's economy couldn't achieve deficit reduction much less actually speaking a balanced budget even with tax cuts and deregulation. I see why you're so angry and bitter all the time.
Your concern about a balanced budget is liberal hypocrisy as you contributed to less gov't revenue due to your high state and local taxes. Interesting how the budget breakdown posted ignores what actually caused the deficits because as usual you ignore the line items. In business you learn where the problem areas are and correct them, with baseline budgeting that is impossible because the line items are blurred and irrelevant to the left. What you still ignore is what was set up to fund SS and Medicare and it wasn't FIT
Thank you, coming from you that is a badge of honor

From Wikipedia:

Trump's economy couldn't achieve deficit reduction much less actually achieving a balanced budget even with tax cuts and deregulation. I see why you're so angry and bitter all the time.

History of SS educate your self

In the Social Security Act of 1935 the income from the payroll tax was to be credited to a Social Security "account." Benefits were to be paid against this account, but there was no formal trust fund as such. Taxes began to be collected in January 1937, and monthly benefits were to be paid starting in January 1942 (later pushed forward to January 1940). So the payroll taxes were just credits in the Social Security account on the Treasury's ledger under the initial law.

In the 1939 Amendments, a formal trust fund was established and a requirement was put in place for annual reports on the actuarial status of the fund. Specifically, the law provided: "There is hereby created on the books of the Treasury of the United States a trust fund to be known as the 'Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund'. . . . The Trust Fund shall consist of the securities held by the Secretary of the Treasury for the Old Age Reserve Account on the books of the Treasury on January 1, 1940, which securities and amount the Secretary of the Treasury is authorized and directed to transfer to the Trust Fund, and, in addition, such amounts as may be appropriated to the Trust Fund as herein under provided." (Title II, Section 201a)

Yes thanks for the definition confirming my statement, it was created by LBJ in the 60s and then rejected because SS and Medicare have no business being put on bundget
Your opinion doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is surpluses from 1998, 1999, and be 2000 were very much real.
Your concern about a balanced budget is liberal hypocrisy as you contributed to less gov't revenue due to your high state and local taxes.
You don't understand the definition of hypocrisy either.
Thank you, coming from you that is a badge of honor
You're the least respected member here for a reason.

Your opinion doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is surpluses from 1998, 1999, and be 2000 were very much real.
It isn't my opinion it is reality that you want to ignore
LOL, your definition has no credibility, look in the mirror
And that has what to do with your inability to stick to the topic and present a coherent argument regarding SS and Medicare loans and debt service. The universal budget no longer exists

In SS and Medicare then lent to the Discretionary budget and spent violating the principles established in the late 30's Trust fund
Sorry but hypocrisy is someone claiming that the federal gov't isn't getting enough revenue while deducting high state and local taxes from your federal return
In this liberal forum with you? ROFLMAO

It isn't my opinion it is reality that you want to ignore
The CBO called them surpluses. Economists called them surpluses. Accountants called them surpluses. Only conman and his ignorant partisan hacks claim to the contrary.
LOL, your definition has no credibility, look in the mirror
You called me a hypocrite because of math an accounting. That's less than pathetic... borderline illiteracy is your mantra.
In SS and Medicare then lent to the Discretionary budget and spent violating the principles established in the late 30's Trust fund
Things change... get over it.
Sorry but hypocrisy is someone claiming that the federal gov't isn't getting enough revenue while deducting high state and local taxes from your federal return
That's literally the dumbest shit you've posted today. Like i said... borderline illiteracy mixed with extreme butt-hurt.

The CBO called them surpluses. Economists called them surpluses. Accountants called them surpluses. Only conman and his ignorant partisan hacks claim to the contrary.
CBO isn't accurate, never has been, but the point remains, don't borrow the excess and no interest expense
You called me a hypocrite because of math an accounting. That's less than pathetic... borderline illiteracy is your mantra.
What do you call someone who complains about the government not getting enough revenue and is part of the problem
Things change... get over it.
Yes they do, high state and local taxes no longer deductible
That's literally the dumbest shit you've posted today. Like i said... borderline illiteracy mixed with extreme butt-hurt.
Liberal arrogance is no excuse for liberal ignorance

CBO isn't accurate, never has been
It's not a matter of accuracy... even though the CBO is pretty accurate given the information they have at hand. Nevertheless, only ignorant cultists like yourself will deny reality because it hurts their partisan ego to see a balanced budget occur when a Dem is in the WH.
but the point remains
You have no point, just more and more incoherent rambling due to envy.
What do you call someone who complains about the government not getting enough revenue and is part of the problem
How much additional revenue was raised by cutting state and local tax deduction? This is one of your obsessions so it's on you to provide evidence to support your belief.

It's not a matter of accuracy... even though the CBO is pretty accurate given the information they have at hand. Nevertheless, only ignorant cultists like yourself will deny reality because it hurts their partisan ego to see a balanced budget occur when a Dem is in the WH.
The information they have comes from Congress
You have no point, just more and more incoherent rambling due to envy.
Then we better stop now, done with your trolling and baiting
How much additional revenue was raised by cutting state and local tax deduction? This is one of your obsessions so it's on you to provide evidence to support your belief.
Treasury has that data, look it up. The real win was state and local coming from sales and property taxez

The information they have comes from Congress
They use economic models to forecast. Nevertheless, you'll never be able to provide a coherent source that backs up the butt-hurt nonsense about surplus denial from '98 through 2000.
Then we better stop now, done with your trolling and baiting
Report me or go kick rocks.
Treasury has that data, look it up. The real win was state and local coming from sales and property taxez
It's your argument. Why do you demand other people support your claims? You've lost once again.

They use economic models to forecast. Nevertheless, you'll never be able to provide a coherent source that backs up the butt-hurt nonsense about surplus denial from '98 through 2000.
What backs up my point is the official verifiable data showing the deficit for those years, you focus on only at the time the one side of the budget

Report me or go kick rocks.
No, prefer to make you look like the liberal fool the left wants
It's your argument. Why do you demand other people support your claims? You've lost once again.
I have supported my claims, you post out of context charts without posting your source. Biden would have been totally responsible for any default with his 2.8 trillion deficit in 2021 and 1.4 trillion in 2022, projected at 1.5 trillion 2023 with his 6.9 trillion dollar budget

What backs up my point is
Some desperate Google search.
No, prefer to make you look like the liberal fool the left wants
You're not capable... not in the slightest. In this exchange, I've once again showed the forum how pathetic and desperate your positions are.
I have supported my claims
With lies, fallacies, and no logical structure. You've shit the bed once again.
you post out of context charts without posting your source.
Another glaring example of your total lack of critical thinking and reading comprehension. If you don't understand what FRED encompasses....
Biden would have been totally responsible for any default with his 2.8 trillion deficit in 2021 and 1.4 trillion in 2022, projected at 1.5 trillion 2023 with his 6.9 trillion dollar budget
He wasn't the one who was against raising the debt limit. So no, the deficits don't support this stage theory.

I don't think that is true, particularly now. The demographics show something other than this, we have more jobs that people available to fill them, with a declining participation. While reducing federal spending would impact labor markets, I don't think the trade off is worth it.

Your feeble attempt at rebuttal is completely unresponsive to the facts.
The facts are, we had a budget surplus. This is not debatable. Your denial of reality is a by product of your partisan hackery.

Back
Top Bottom