• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:436] Biden declares himself 'blameless' if US defaults on debt: 'I've done my part'

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
you can read his usual scrambled egg "explanation" quote here, but it comes down to "I'm president and they are not".
That's typical for Biden . either blaming everyone else ( may Trump did this?) or just blowing past his actions/forgetfulness
and what exactly does "I've done my part" entail? demands?? that's all he's done Oh wait it's POLITICAL COVER -blame MAGA

I think there are some MAGA Republicans in the House who know the damage that it would do to the economy and because I am president, and presidents are responsible for everything. Biden would take the blame. And that's the one way to make sure Biden's not re-elected."

I've done my part," Biden said regarding negotiations, adding that "it's time for the other side to move their team positions because much of what they were proposed is simply quite frankly, unacceptable."

This prompted a follow-up at the end of the news conference from Fox News' Peter Doocy.
"Mr. President, on the debt limit, you said already, 'I've done my part.' Do you think if there's a breach, nobody can blame you?" Doocy asked.

Would you be blameless in a default situation?" Doocy pressed.

"On the merits, based on what I've offered, I would be blameless," Biden responded. "On the politics of it, no one would be blameless. And by the way, that's one of the, one of the things some [people] are contemplating. Well, I gotta be careful here. I think there are some MAGA Republicans in the House who know the damage that it would do to the economy and because I am president, and presidents are responsible for everything, Biden would take the blame. And that's the one way to make sure Biden's not re-elected."

Biden also claimed that he had the authority to unilaterally increase the debt limit using the 14th Amendment, a legal argument experts say would be unlikely to hold up in court.

Oh, so the republicans are willing to negotiate are they? ]

Care to point out what they've negotiated about?
they were in talks. they walked out of talks because there wasnt any movement
Clearly Biden (OP) and your position is one of "take it or leave it, im blameless if you don't" is rank obstructionism

What have Republicans offered?
I just answered. But also they have been trying to get Biden to talk even before they passed their bill.
He would not -only demanding a "clean debt limit bill"
Now we have to see if they will offer anything, because Biden is saying he won't; but at least upto now they have been the ones looking for negotiations

you can read his usual scrambled egg "explanation" quote here, but it comes down to "I'm president and they are not".
That's typical for Biden . either blaming everyone else ( may Trump did this?) or just blowing past his actions/forgetfulness
and what exactly does "I've done my part" entail? demands?? that's all he's done Oh wait it's POLITICAL COVER -blame MAGA

I think there are some MAGA Republicans in the House who know the damage that it would do to the economy and because I am president, and presidents are responsible for everything. Biden would take the blame. And that's the one way to make sure Biden's not re-elected."

I've done my part," Biden said regarding negotiations, adding that "it's time for the other side to move their team positions because much of what they were proposed is simply quite frankly, unacceptable."

This prompted a follow-up at the end of the news conference from Fox News' Peter Doocy.
"Mr. President, on the debt limit, you said already, 'I've done my part.' Do you think if there's a breach, nobody can blame you?" Doocy asked.

"On the merits, based on what I've offered, I would be blameless," Biden responded. "On the politics of it, no one would be blameless. And by the way, that's one of the, one of the things some [people] are contemplating. Well, I gotta be careful here. I think there are some MAGA Republicans in the House who know the damage that it would do to the economy and because I am president, and presidents are responsible for everything, Biden would take the blame. And that's the one way to make sure Biden's not re-elected."

Biden also claimed that he had the authority to unilaterally increase the debt limit using the 14th Amendment, a legal argument experts say would be unlikely to hold up in court.
Well, I'm glad the Biden pukes are going to bow out...finally. They've wasted enough time already.

Now, we can get back to how Congressional bills are SUPPOSED to be dealt with: One chamber proposing and passing a bill. That chamber sending it to the other chamber to consider, amend if they see fit and possibly finally passing the bill and sending it to the WH so the President can do what is ACTUALLY his part: Signing or vetoing the bill.

He has done his part. Its up to Congress to come up with something, not him.

Well, I'm glad the Biden pukes are going to bow out...finally. They've wasted enough time already.

Now, we can get back to how Congressional bills are SUPPOSED to be dealt with: One chamber proposing and passing a bill. That chamber sending it to the other chamber to consider, amend if they see fit and possibly finally passing the bill and sending it to the WH so the President can do what is ACTUALLY his part: Signing or vetoing the bill.
That how Trump did things?

Clearly Biden (OP) and your position is one of "take it or leave it, im blameless if you don't" is rank obstructionism
No, they walked out because they don't want to discuss taxing the rich.

Well thanks Joe, for saving my social programs, I don't know how they think they're going to make the sick work, I sure don't want to have to work for my medical.

In large part he is right.
Negotiation is a two sided thing.
Republicans saying all of their proposal needs to be accepted before they are willing to 'negotiate' is not acceptable.
But then Republicans would like nothing more than to crash the US economy roughly 17 months out from an election.

Biden’s not wrong. The house wants capitulation and not negotiation.

Yes the President walked out as the Republicans demanded things he would never be able to accept.
They knew he would never be able to accept them and that's why they made those demands.

Again, that's not a negotiation.

That would be like starting a negotiation with you by demanding I be able to redecorate your house into a Star Trek theme and have a massive union jack flag in the garden.
I have a feeling you'd object quite strongly to those conditions to start negotiations.

No, they walked out because they don't want to discuss taxing the rich.
they ruled out tax increases as inflationary, and not cutting spending. Of vourse there are talking points for both sides
but the Biden says today he's "blameless" because the debt ceiling bill is a plot by MAGA to take him out as POTUS

I cant imagaine anything more poisonous to negotiations, albeit the "semi fascists MAGAS" is an old talking point

Both sides need to negotiate in good faith, understanding that compromise means you don't get everything you want.

That's how grown-ups do things.
unfortunately, for this to occur, grown-ups would need to be across the table from biden

i am still waiting to read the compelling argument which tells us why an increase of the debt limit would prove harmful to our nation. maybe joe can get them to express that rationale at the negotiations table

Yes the President walked out as the Republicans demanded things he would never be able to accept.
They knew he would never be able to accept them and that's why they made those demands.
the president never walked out before the bill -he simply refused to engage.
After the bill he did met with McCarthy. a one and done and then turned it over to lower level staff
Again, that's not a negotiation.

That would be like starting a negotiation with you by demanding I be able to redecorate your house into a Star Trek theme and have a massive union jack flag in the garden.
I have a feeling you'd object quite strongly to those conditions to start negotiations.
that's a silly scenario.

Back
Top Bottom