• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:28] Wealth Tax, good idea?

So do you support the rich paying their fair share of taxes?

• Yes, the rich should pay their fair share

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • No, the rich should pay less taxes

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters
what happened in feudal times. The rich lived in castles and the poor wallowed in shit.
Great in a history book or a movie, but they’ve invented the internet now... and Ding-dongs. It’s sooo much easier now.

Great in a history book or a movie, but they’ve invented the internet now... and Ding-dongs. It’s sooo much easier now.
the wealthy lived well, the poor starved. The wealthy had private armies.

what happened in feudal times. The rich lived in castles and the poor wallowed in shit.
In feudal times land was owned by nobility and that land ownership was still protected by the government.

I think the dude said: the meek shall inherit the earth. I’ve heard the Joe Rogan twist on that phrase, but I’m pretty sure he’s wrong.
I don't believe in fairy tales. Do you?

In feudal times land was owned by nobility and that land ownership was still protected by the government.
The rich were the government. They weren't voted into office

Democrats subsidize poverty and anything the government subsidizes, increases

You are describing ERW libertarians not democrats.

ERCOT Increased Revenue and Executive Pay In Years Before Texas Power Outages
The Texas Observer|3 days ago
Top ERCOT officials collected six-figure salaries while failing to prepare for extreme weather events that they were warned about.

Power Co-op Files Bankruptcy After $2.1 Billion ERCOT Bill
POWER Magazine|8 hours ago
The group considered Texas' oldest and largest electricity cooperative has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, saying it can't pay money wanted by

"Enron Corporation was an American energy, commodities, and services company based in Houston, Texas. It was founded in 1985 as a merger between Houston Natural Gas and InterNorth, both relatively small regional companies. Before its bankruptcy on December 3, 2001, Enron employed approximately 29,000 staff and was a major electricity, natural gas, communications and pulp and paper company, with claimed revenues of nearly $101 billion during 2000. ..

At the end of 2001, it was revealed that Enron's reported financial condition was sustained by an institutionalized, systemic and creatively planned accounting fraud, known since as the Enron scandal...."

Social Security History
https://www.ssa.gov/history/hlong1.html
"Social Security History. This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current policies or procedures. Huey Long. Huey Long. Library of Congress photo. Every Man a King. Huey Long was Governor of Louisiana from 1928 to 1932 and was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1930. ... Huey Long was the determined enemy of Wall Street ..."

How Older Americans Got By Before Social Security
https://www.aarp.org/money/investing/info-2018/seniors-before-social-security.html
Website Gobankingrates.com compiled a list of 16 things that served as a safety net for seniors before Social Security, though "safety net" doesn't really apply to many of the options, which include panhandling, moving into almshouses or poorhouses, or simply dying impoverished, which was the fate that befell 1 in every 2 older Americans in the years after the 1929 stock market crash.

Social Security History
https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssa/lbjmedicare1.html
There were Federal-State programs of medical assistance to the aged before Medicare, but they were not meeting the need of the aged for medical care; relatively few people were helped because the programs were so restrictive, both in terms of who was eligible for help and the scope of covered care that could be furnished.

Last edited:
you assume those who are wealthy exploit others. that is class envious bullshit

I don’t assume anything. Another good thing about the internet and all that easy shit is it’s easy to find shit out and hard to hide it. We employ, or endorse the employment of slaves to make what we do. It’s everywhere. They don’t even really hide it. There’s probably a nice “business term” for it.

the wealthy lived well, the poor starved. The wealthy had private armies.

Yeah, but is that the kind of world you want to live in? Lot of nasty shit back then.

I don’t assume anything. Another good thing about the internet and all that easy shit is it’s easy to find shit out and hard to hide it. We employ, or endorse the employment of slaves to make what we do. It’s everywhere. They don’t even really hide it. There’s probably a nice “business term” for it.

Yeah, but is that the kind of world you want to live in? Lot of nasty shit back then.
hysterical bullshit.

Silly nonsense. We have a progressive income tax with different tax rates. That is no different. Millions of people pay no income tax at all because the standard deduction is higher than their tax burden.

Wrong, yet again - wealth and/or property is different from income. You continue to ignore the 16A which specifically granted the limited and additional federal power for a direct tax on income from all sources.

I don't know if a wealth tax would be a good idea. An increase in capital gains tax probably would

Hell yes tax the beejeezus out of rich people. With reparations coming under Biden every black or brown person in America is going to be rich. I say they need to pay their fair share in taxes.

The rich were the government. They weren't voted into office
Irrelevant. A government still existed. And they paid a shit load to fund armies and build castles. I'd wager that a typical nobleman in feudal Europe paid a significant chunk of his wealth every year just to protect the remainder of it.
Warren Buffett only pays about 22% in tax. I'd wager that feudal nobleman paid more than that.

The French tried imposing a wealth tax. To their great surprise, the wealthy moved out of France and overall tax revenue dropped. After a few years they wised up and repealed it.

Strange thing about wealthy people. They didn't get wealthy by letting others hose them.

Irrelevant. A government still existed. And they paid a shit load to fund armies and build castles. I'd wager that a typical nobleman in feudal Europe paid a significant chunk of his wealth every year just to protect the remainder of it.
Warren Buffett only pays about 22% in tax. I'd wager that feudal nobleman paid more than that.
How much income do you think Buffett pays income tax on annually?

It would be constitutional (nothing in the constitution dictates what type of taxation is allowed or disallowed), but it would be a direct tax and would have to be apportioned by state.

It would be impractical to tax either wealth or property in a per capita manner.

you're just guessing. and Buffett, unlike most rich people, is able to completely structure his income to minimize taxes.

Perhaps, but it doesn't make it unconstitutional.

While it is true that a per capita federal tax would not be unconstitutional, it has nothing to do with the proposal being discussed in this thread.

The French tried imposing a wealth tax. To their great surprise, the wealthy moved out of France and overall tax revenue dropped. After a few years they wised up and repealed it.

Strange thing about wealthy people. They didn't get wealthy by letting others hose them.

yes, that’s the reason a value added tax is better. Besides, a wealth tax is just a bad look. Too easy to demonize.

yes, that’s the reason a value added tax is better. Besides, a wealth tax is just a bad look. Too easy to demonize.
Value taxes are a really stupid idea. People with mobile wealth simply move. Others tie their wealth up in an LLC or a trust so it is not personal wealth anymore. The only thing it serves is to stir up the morons with wealth envy complexes.
The problem with a value added tax is it skewed to penalize people with growing families. However, it does make it so everyone has skin in the game. Under the current system half the people pay nothing. Those people never have a problem spending someone else's money.

Value taxes are a really stupid idea. People with mobile wealth simply move. Others tie their wealth up in an LLC or a trust so it is not personal wealth anymore. The only thing it serves is to stir up the morons with wealth envy complexes.
The problem with a value added tax is it skewed to penalize people with growing families. However, it does make it so everyone has skin in the game. Under the current system half the people pay nothing. Those people never have a problem spending someone else's money.
Depends on how many exemptions you put in, and where they’re targeted.

Why do is support it?
Because the wealthy have been able to obtain an obscene amount of wealth.

Why a capital gains tax and not a wealth tax?
A wealth tax is on all wealth, including capital (goods used to produce other goods). Capital gains tax is a tax on the profit made from selling stock, housing, and other assets. I'm somewhat skeptical of a wealth tax because I fear that it would have a distortionary effect on the economy.

Back
Top Bottom