• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:279]NHL 2021

I see the Leafs lead the NHL with nearly 40 points while the rest of the league has yet to clear 35. Of course, the seasonal standings mean little in that the proof is always that second season, as hockey seems to be the one sport where the league leader often sees an early playoff exist (unless we're talking about Tom Brady on a wildcard team beating the Packers and Saints....but, I digress).

I'd probably say the Lightening are still the team to beat (who had Tampa as Titletown on their 2020 Bingo Card?). On that note, seeing Vegas at the top in the West again is kind of surreal. Out East, the Islanders in first is flashback-like, but I suspect the Capitals are the best team in that division. As for the Lightening, the Panthers are now their nemesis. That's a surprise.

You don't mention it, but a lot of the previous Atlantic teams - Toronto, Tampa, Florida, Boston, Montreal, etc. are doing well and some leading their new divisions. It's still a long way off, but I see the final four quite possibly having three teams from the previous Atlantic - it was noted here several times in the past few years that it seemed unfair that a couple of the best teams in the league had to face off in the playoffs in the first round in the Atlantic and Tampa didn't win the cup until they got into the bubble and had an easier path to the finals.

As for the Panthers, we here in the old Atlantic have expected them to be a playoff team for the past three o four years and they never were good enough to get into the top four in the division. They look like they're finally reaching that potential.

Haven't got much of anything positive to post about my Leafs this week so better to stay quiet. Good luck all and have fun

Haven't got much of anything positive to post about my Leafs this week so better to stay quiet. Good luck all and have fun
Hey, don't feel bad. That sums up this whole season for my Wings. At least they do not suck quite as bad as they could have...

Hey, don't feel bad. That sums up this whole season for my Wings. At least they do not suck quite as bad as they could have...
I'm stunned to see the Hawks with over 30 points this soon. I thought they would be in for years and years of rebuilding.

I'm stunned to see the Hawks with over 30 points this soon. I thought they would be in for years and years of rebuilding.
They caught lightning in a bottle in their goalie, Lankinen.

If it lasts, he’s the best thing that’s happened to this team in years.

Wondering if Toews will ever return.

Isles beat the Bruins again incase you missed it. 2 to 1 in a shootout, now 4 and 0 against them. :p I think our next 3 are against the Devils. LOL

Isles beat the Bruins again incase you missed it. 2 to 1 in a shootout, now 4 and 0 against them. :p I think our next 3 are against the Devils. LOL
Enjoy your first place position while you can. I saw a startling statistic in the paper this morning that changes my view completely about how the East will end up this year.

Did you know that Pittsburgh hasn't played a single game this year against either Buffalo or New Jersey, two of the worst teams in the entire NHL? And they've played a lot of games lately without Sidney Crosby. Taking into account that your Isles have gained almost half their points this year from wins against Buffalo and New Jersey and the Penguins are only four points out of first with a game in hand on your Isles, if I was a betting man I'd bet the farm on the Penguins winning the East, probably easily, with 16 of their remaining games against the dregs of the division/league. Unless you think Buffalo and New Jersey are suddenly going to become competitive in the second half of the season, you'd have to admit that Pittsburgh looks like a lock to win the East.

Not much consolation, but at least the Red Wings are playing to expectations. Imagine fans in Buffalo, with visions of the playoffs, and the season they're having, with Eichel, Hall, Skinner and Staal all being total busts this year. Red Wings should be mad at Buffalo for chasing their number one draft position.

Enjoy your first place position while you can. I saw a startling statistic in the paper this morning that changes my view completely about how the East will end up this year.

Did you know that Pittsburgh hasn't played a single game this year against either Buffalo or New Jersey, two of the worst teams in the entire NHL? And they've played a lot of games lately without Sidney Crosby. Taking into account that your Isles have gained almost half their points this year from wins against Buffalo and New Jersey and the Penguins are only four points out of first with a game in hand on your Isles, if I was a betting man I'd bet the farmTh on the Penguins winning the East, probably easily, with 16 of their remaining games against the dregs of the division/league. Unless you think Buffalo and New Jersey are suddenly going to become competitive in the second half of the season, you'd have to admit that Pittsburgh looks like a lock to win the East.
Teams ebb and flow. The Isles are 2 - 2 - 2 against Pittsburgh. The Devils came back against the Caps from 3 down only to lose in OT. They aren't that bad. Buffalo took Philly to OT without Eichel last night. They should be better after getting their Covid crew back along with a new coach, still not very good. I think anyone of 5 teams could win the east. Depends on who gets hot at the right time along with injuries and Covid. Isles have been lucky in that area, they have started the same 6 defensemen every game so far. They do have some depth there but not as good as what is on the ice. Forward depth is their strength. 4 lines with 4 solid centers and uncle Leo in reserve. He is a fan favorite. Mostly young as well.

Not much consolation, but at least the Red Wings are playing to expectations. Imagine fans in Buffalo, with visions of the playoffs, and the season they're having, with Eichel, Hall, Skinner and Staal all being total busts this year. Red Wings should be mad at Buffalo for chasing their number one draft position.
Skinner has been awful. Hall does have 15 or more assists but can't score. He had a breakaway against the Isles and fell down crossing the blue line. I felt sorry for him. Also a bunch of shots not even on goal. I have seen a lot of Buffalo lately. LOL! Eichel is the real deal. He just needs better support.

Teams ebb and flow. The Isles are 2 - 2 - 2 against Pittsburgh. The Devils came back against the Caps from 3 down only to lose in OT. They aren't that bad. Buffalo took Philly to OT without Eichel last night. They should be better after getting their Covid crew back along with a new coach, still not very good. I think anyone of 5 teams could win the east. Depends on who gets hot at the right time along with injuries and Covid. Isles have been lucky in that area, they have started the same 6 defensemen every game so far. They do have some depth there but not as good as what is on the ice. Forward depth is their strength. 4 lines with 4 solid centers and uncle Leo in reserve. He is a fan favorite. Mostly young as well.
I appreciate the ebbs and flow, but it's hard for me to discount the fact the Penguins are 5 points out of first and they haven't played the two worst teams in the division - those 16 games could reasonably turn into 25 plus points down the stretch and that's a huge advantage for them coming home.

I appreciate the ebbs and flow, but it's hard for me to discount the fact the Penguins are 5 points out of first and they haven't played the two worst teams in the division - those 16 games could reasonably turn into 25 plus points down the stretch and that's a huge advantage for them coming home.
I will be rooting for Buffalo and the Devils!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Martin with goal number 5. Not bad for a 4th liner who only gets 10 to 12 minutes a night and whose primary responsibility is to defend the other teams best line and protect Barzal.

Through 2 its 4 zip Isles and could be 8 zip easy. Devil defensemen knocks an Isles forward into the goalie, everyone goes down and another Devil comes by to get the puck and knocks it into his own goal. Challenged and confirmed a good goal. Devils look horrible.

Leafs may and likely look headed for their fourth loss in a row, but hard to get too upset, just a little frustrated. In four games, they've been by far the better team but have no goal luck - opposition goalies making dozens of miraculous saves and Leafs goalie making pretty much none. Leafs were doing better when their number one goalie was injured.

Just one of those runs that happen to every team - Hari's ebbs and flows- just a little too much ebb and a paucity of flows.

Big, important come back win for the Leafs in overtime - trailing entering the third, they take the lead and even though they give up a late tying goal they manage to win it in overtime with another Matthews goal.

Not to over estimate the importance of this game, but losing another game when you badly outplay the opposition can be season killing - this just might be the game that saves the season. Gives the Leafs a six point cushion in the division again and I'm sure takes a ton of pressure off them heading into Saturday's rubber match.

Winnipeg - 8-0-1 when leading after two periods. Toronto - 0-5-0 when trailing after two periods. Unexpected but terrific win. All is good in the world once again!!

Stuff you don't usually see unless you are at the game. Pretty cool.

NHL gets new cable life

A much needed boost for winter's other sport.
They have a $billion plus contract with Canadian TV but for a league that relies heavily on gate receipts, particularly after the past year, this is good news.

Flyers crashing and burning. Not shocked. They’re scoring goals, but giving up more.

Carter Hart struggling enough to basically become the #2 goalie behind Elliott.

Defense is killing the Flyers. Provorov can’t play 60+ minutes a game on both sides of the ice.

Flyers are sorely lacking in solid and consistent defense in front on their goalies and it’s killing them.

They have a $billion plus contract with Canadian TV but for a league that relies heavily on gate receipts, particularly after the past year, this is good news.
I never understood why Hockey didn't catch on in the States like it does in Canada. Sure it has a huge following in places like Chicago and Detroit. Some of those fans are diehard. Many are my old friends from when I lived in those cities. We lived and breathed hockey as kids in Chi-town and Michigan. The park district even froze rinks for us--and, if there was no ice, we played street hockey. This was in the 70's.

By the 80's, participation fell off, much like playing sandlot baseball did. Now, hockey is a niche sport, something a few kids play in organized leagues. Nobody plays pick-up games like we did back then. Literally nobody.

I never understood why Hockey didn't catch on in the States like it does in Canada. Sure it has a huge following in places like Chicago and Detroit. Some of those fans are diehard. Many are my old friends from when I lived in those cities. We lived and breathed hockey as kids in Chi-town and Michigan. The park district even froze rinks for us--and, if there was no ice, we played street hockey. This was in the 70's.

By the 80's, participation fell off, much like playing sandlot baseball did. Now, hockey is a niche sport, something a few kids play in organized leagues. Nobody plays pick-up games like we did back then. Literally nobody.
Nope. In my Chicago suburb, a park is routinely flooded in the winter, and I literally *neversee it empty if it’s frozen. 100% neighborhood kids.

Also, hockey is a pretty popular youth sport, partially because the parents around here can afford it since it’s ridiculously expensive.

This year excepted, obviously.

Give the kids ice, they will play.

I'm an Islander fan and they have a passionate base but the Rangers have a very large following here in NY.

I'm an Islander fan and they have a passionate base but the Rangers have a very large following here in NY.
Yeah, I can see that in NYC. I mentioned only Chi and Det because I have personal experience with hockey fans in those cities. My understanding is Pittsburg and Philly are pretty big hockey towns too. As is Buffalo, at least it was back in the day.

Speaking of in the day, I recall St Louis and Minnesota being huge hockey towns in the 70's and into the early 80's. The Blues always sold out. And the old North Stars used to rock the place with guys like Dino Ciccarelli.

Yeah, I can see that in NYC. I mentioned only Chi and Det because I have personal experience with hockey fans in those cities. My understanding is Pittsburg and Philly are pretty big hockey towns too. As is Buffalo, at least it was back in the day.

Speaking of in the day, I recall St Louis and Minnesota being huge hockey towns in the 70's and into the early 80's. The Blues always sold out. And the old North Stars used to rock the place with guys like Dino Ciccarelli.
I'm surprised the teams in Denver & Minnesota weren't supported better. The North Stars were good for a time even if the Isles kicked their behind. They are now in Dallas and New Jersey. I don't remember the Rockies ever being good before they moved. THe new teams in those cities seem to be doing well. The Avalanche are really good and exciting.

Back
Top Bottom