• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:279]NHL 2021

I'm surprised the teams in Denver & Minnesota weren't supported better. The North Stars were good for a time even if the Isles kicked their behind. They are now in Dallas and New Jersey. I don't remember the Rockies ever being good before they moved. THe new teams in those cities seem to be doing well. The Avalanche are really good and exciting.
The surprise team for me is Vegas. Huge following and pretty good team, right out of the gate. Columbus here in Ohio has a decent local fan base, but I doubt they draw much interest from the rest of the state, not enough to carry their own network like the Blackhawks and Red Wings can do.

Boston is a hell of a hockey town. So, I guess I forgot to mention them.

Nope. In my Chicago suburb, a park is routinely flooded in the winter, and I literally *neversee it empty if it’s frozen. 100% neighborhood kids.

Also, hockey is a pretty popular youth sport, partially because the parents around here can afford it since it’s ridiculously expensive.

This year excepted, obviously.

Give the kids ice, they will play.
Thanks for the update. I forgot that much of what I do not see nowadays when visiting the Chicago area is due to the warming trends. When I was a kid, the park would be flooded as early as the end of the NFL regular season (for sure before Christmas) and stay frozen until the beginning of April, almost Easter time.

Back then, leagues were rare. The only one I knew of played on a rink in Elmhurst. And, yeah. It was big bucks. My folks couldn't spring for it back then. But, new pads, gloves or skates were always under the Christmas tree. And sticks. Man, I must have gone through 20 of those each year.

In Southern Michigan, we had a lot of leagues, and they were affordable enough for me to join--JR High through a year or two of HS. We also used to play pick up games on frozen lakes. I suspect no one dares to do that anymore...lol

Thanks for the update. I forgot that much of what I do not see nowadays when visiting the Chicago area is due to the warming trends. When I was a kid, the park would be flooded as early as the end of the NFL regular season (for sure before Christmas) and stay frozen until the beginning of April, almost Easter time.

Back then, leagues were rare. The only one I knew of played on a rink in Elmhurst. And, yeah. It was big bucks. My folks couldn't spring for it back then. But, new pads, gloves or skates were always under the Christmas tree. And sticks. Man, I must have gone through 20 of those each year.

In Southern Michigan, we had a lot of leagues, and they were affordable enough for me to join--JR High through a year or two of HS. We also used to play pick up games on frozen lakes. I suspect no one dares to do that anymore...lol
True.... it’s tough to keep a rink frozen most of the time now.

I never understood why Hockey didn't catch on in the States like it does in Canada.

Oh come on, of course you can.
1) very expensive
2) requires indoor frozen ice for vast majority of kids in country most of the year
3) very expensive
4) football, baseball, basketball, tennis, volleyball, and soccer can all be played in just about every front yard or driveway in the county about 90% of the year
5) very expensive
6) requires mom or dad to drive them to every practice and game
7) requires lots or gear
8) very expensive

——————————————————

9) perhaps one of the hardest team sports to be even remotely competitive in on many levels

1) very expensive
2) requires indoor frozen ice for vast majority of kids in country most of the year
3) very expensive
4) football, baseball, basketball, tennis, volleyball, and soccer can all be played in just about every front yard or driveway in the county about 90% of the year
5) very expensive
7) requires lots or gear
8) very expensive

——————————————————

9) perhaps one of the hardest team sports to be even remotely competitive in on many levels
It’s also pretty expensive.

1) very expensive
3) very expensive
5) very expensive
7) requires lots or gear
8) very expensive

——————————————————

This was us from like age-6 through the sixth grade.

No ice needed. Minimal pads and Cheap. All you needed was a plastic blade sleeved over a wooden stick so that it lasted more than a day.

1) very expensive
3) very expensive
5) very expensive
7) requires lots or gear
8) very expensive

——————————————————

Don't forget bowling, LOL!

This was us from like age-6 through the sixth grade.

No ice needed. Minimal pads and Cheap. All you needed was a plastic blade sleeved over a wooden stick so that it lasted more than a day.

technically no ice needed. I played street hockey as a child too. Then dabbled a little with roller hockey on in-line skates.

The USA is football/baseball/basketball focused. Period.

Again, much easier to do in front yard or driveway - plus easier for most kids to build skills in, and therefore start following the professionals.

Of course nowadays kids are watching e-sports and not even going outside so ...

technically no ice needed. I played street hockey as a child too. Then dabbled a little with roller hockey on in-line skates.

Again, much easier to do in front yard or driveway - plus easier for most kids to build skills in, and therefore start following the professionals.

I played street hockey growing up as well. I can't skate but we had a basketball full court that was surrounded by a large fence at our condo which was perfect as a rink, just bring your own goals. Both my kids play soccer but at least I can take them to a game every so often.

Yeah, I get it. I'm no longer a huge fan

The fall-off began after leaving Chicago in the late 70's--maybe it even began after Bobby Hull left the Hawks. I know I played more than I watched for at least a decade.

Later, in Detroit, we had the Hockey Night in Canada feed come in every Saturday from Windsor. So, I ended up with access to the whole league and began watching again. So, I totally got into following the Islanders ascent and then, later, as I got older, the rise of Edmonton.

Sometime during those years, I landed back in Chicago, where hockey was on ESPN or some other cable sports channel. However, the Bulls had Mike. And, I never really looked back from Basketball after that.

I played street hockey growing up as well. I can't skate but we had a basketball full court that was surrounded by a large fence at our condo which was perfect as a rink, just bring your own goals. Both my kids play soccer but at least I can take them to a game every so often.
lol...at about age-ten, I made a little rink in my basement and played by myself in roller skates at night. I developed one hell of a wrist shot that way. It came in handy later when I played for real in HS.

I was also lucky in having great balance. I could skate as soon as I stepped on the ice. I think I was 8. By 10 or 11, I could skate better than kids 13 and 14. They hated that crap and always knocked me on my ass. So, I got tough too.

The toughness gained from Hockey came in handy when playing street and pick-up basketball in college, without refs to enforce the rules. Man, I remember leaving some of those games bruised and battered worse then when I played football.

Last edited:
And there’s another issue.

The expense involved in tickets, parking, and food at a professional game is insane now.
Tickets for good seats were always hard to come by. It's easier now with the internet, but they sure are not cheap. $150 and up for anything anywhere near the ice.

One thing that sticks out from the early 70's is the WHL. Tickets for the Blackhawks were impossible to come by. But, we could land incredible seats for the Cougers. My cousin took me to the game when Bobby Hull first returned to Chicago as a Jet. Awesome seats and a good game. Bobby even signed an autograph for me.

I need to thank my cuz for doing that, now that I think of it.

Done! Text sent.

lol...at about age-ten, I made a little rink in my basement and played by myself in roller skates at night. I developed one hell of a wrist shot that way. It came in handy later when I played for real in HS.

I was also lucky in having great balance. I could skate as soon as I stepped on the ice. I think I was 8. By 10 or 11, I could skate better than kids 13 and 14. They hated that crap and always knocked me on my ass. So, I got tough too.

The toughness gained from Hockey came in handy when playing street and pick-up basketball in college, without refs to enforce the rules. Man, I remember leaving some of those games bruised and battered worse then when I played football.
Basketball I played throughout high school. Not very good but was the thing to do during lunch. Broke my nose and glasses. My parents loved it, LOL! I was a tennis player, high school and college. A 4.5 at my best but could never develop a stable back hand. Now I bowl which I also did growing up. A couple of 300's and an average of around 210 plus or minus. At least I can still do it with Covid.

Soccer is a pretty physical game. Both my kids played in college. My son plays semi-pro locally. In great shape but is only 5' 4" and has a big mouth. Got knocked into the fence like 6 feet away after teasing a 6 foot defensemen. I love reminding him of it. If only I had his athleticism.

And there’s another issue.

The expense involved in tickets, parking, and food at a professional game is insane now.
It is. When I was taking my daughter down to Long Island for travel soccer tournaments we went a couple of times. The Barn was rockin! I can't imagine what tickets at the new UBS arena will be.

Basketball I played throughout high school. Not very good but was the thing to do during lunch. Broke my nose and glasses. My parents loved it, LOL! I was a tennis player, high school and college. A 4.5 at my best but could never develop a stable back hand. Now I bowl which I also did growing up. A couple of 300's and an average of around 210 plus or minus. At least I can still do it with Covid.
Tennis is much harder than it looks. I had the speed to chase down any ball, but I never could control my racket.

Soccer is a pretty physical game. Both my kids played in college. My son plays semi-pro locally. In great shape but is only 5' 4" and has a big mouth. Got knocked into the fence like 6 feet away after teasing a 6 foot defensemen. I love reminding him of it. If only I had his athleticism.
Never played organized soccer. But, we played a lot of pick-up during lunch and after school on hard pavement. That game hurts. lol...a swift kick to the shins gets your attention.

Tickets for good seats were always hard to come by. It's easier now with the internet, but they sure are not cheap. $150 and up for anything anywhere near the ice.

One thing that sticks out from the early 70's is the WHL. Tickets for the Blackhawks were impossible to come by. But, we could land incredible seats for the Cougers. My cousin took me to the game when Bobby Hull first returned to Chicago as a Jet. Awesome seats and a good game. Bobby even signed an autograph for me.

I need to thank my cuz for doing that, now that I think of it.

Done! Text sent.

When the Phantoms were in Philly at the old Spectrum (before it was torn down) I could get 4 tickets, 4 hotdogs, and 4 sodas for $100.

I miss those days.

Tennis is much harder than it looks. I had the speed to chase down any ball, but I never could control my racket.

Never played organized soccer. But, we played a lot of pick-up during lunch and after school on hard pavement. That game hurts. lol...a swift kick to the shins gets your attention.
Not for the squeamish. I have been to the emergency room a few times. This is what happens when you get kicked in the head. You get staples, yuk.

Staples.jpg

Not complaining at all, but what has happened to Boston in the last few weeks??? You know, other than not playing the Flyers.

They’ve only won three of their last ten games.

Injuries? Covid?

Not complaining at all, but what has happened to Boston in the last few weeks??? You know, other than not playing the Flyers.

They’ve only won three of their last ten games.

Injuries? Covid?
Flyers need some D!

Back
Top Bottom