• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:277] Florida's DeSantis moves to allow citizens to shoot looters, rioters targeting businesses

Doesn't seem to be working out for Portland to will. Hoping people don't see it as being okay and spread down the valley.

Hi Zsu,

Because of the election the Portland Riots are less in the news. Sorry to hear that this is still on-going.

But there is laws that prohibit this kind of violence right? Just arrest them and lock them up for a week. 2nd offense 3 month. 3rd offense 2 years.

Put cameras all over the place. They started doing this in London, UK because of the IRA back than. This is today a safe city and not much goes unnoticed. They can follow people on the street. They can zoom in the cameras and they can turn the cameras. If they want, they can follow you a long way. It is not full proof, but it has drastically reduced crime. At least in those areas where they have cameras.

And than people are going to complain about their privacy rights. But hey, you can't have it both ways. And besides, if you do not do anything wrong, you also don't have anything to worry about.

Joey

I think they invented this new thing just yesterday and I think it's called insurance? Not sure though.
Same folks that invented insurance also invented a thing called follow the damn law.

Many small businesses can't afford the high premiums of insurance. Can't afford armed security. They are hanging on by a thread. Rent, licensing fees, permits, taxes, labor costs all needing satisfaction before a profit can be realized. Its not fair for a lowlife violent thieving piece of crap to be able to destroy what someone has built through hard work and sacrifice.

I worked 98 hours per week to build my business from nothing. It was extremely hard on my body, my family, and my brain. To have it destroyed or pilfered would be devastating. At this point I simply can't do that again. So I could not rebuild it. Not financially but physically. No insurance will fix that.

Phys would suggest orderly lines with 6' spacing and a 2-3 item limit per item and everyone loot in an orderly fashion.
Proper covid riot and looting protocol must be followed lol.

Homes? Most looters wouldn't walk away.
During our latest riot the George Floyd riot and the last hurricane the badguys used the fact that police were distracted and or not even running (sustained winds over 40mph) to break into and loot business AND HOMES.

So they did both.

Ok, where the heck I did ever say I was against protecting self and property, in fact I said the exact Opposite. Psst, I was a soldier, 11B, and no I would not want to be forced to start shooting but would do so when the first one stepped into the store or threw a fire bomb, they take their chances on their own free will.
Now back to what I said, I said I questioned the timing, not the need, if there was a need to allow for it then why wasn't always so it at least done when the rioting was taking place...
DeSantis wasn't governor during other riots. During this riot he saw the inaction by police which caused death and destruction to innocents. Perhaps that was the need.

This is one of many, many reasons why trump had to be voted out. Not only did he completely mismanage this pandemic, he seduced his cult into believing that he did the best that he could.
You say trump mismanaged the pandemic only to support a guy who's pandemic management plan mimicked what trump was already doing and you say we fell for the kool-aid lol.

You didnt like trump. Probably suffer from TDS. So instead of actually looking at bidens plan and bidens past history of inept leadership during his pandemic, you accepted the narrative being spread by his propagandists in the fake news media.

This is why you can't name a single action or inaction that trump did or didn't do that would have changed things for the better. Just a good mindless drone parroting the lefts talking points without actually looking at the facts. From early complaints that trump failed to use a law forcing businesses to produce ppe and ventilators to the false claims that he was against masks. If you go back step by step trump was masterful not inept. I won't even mention the china travel ban that was exclusively trump and which saved many many American lives.

I won't address coronavirus in this thread again. Just understand that you have been made a fool a baffon by the lefts propaganda machine combined with your trump derrengment syndrome. Next you'll be convinced that Cuomo didn't cause the deaths of many elderly folks with his decision to force sick patients back into old folks homes.

Learning to think critically would help you to not look so foolish brother. Might try it some time.

Thank God we are about to get a President who won't look the other way if a bounty is placed on their heads.
You mean the one who gives rules of engagement that endangers our troops? The one that defunds our military so that they have to salvage parts from one plane to keep another flying?

Biden's been paid off by the bounty people so just what do you think he would have done lol? You can't make this crap up buddy. Everything you seem to attack trump on your guy is worst lol. Pathetic.

BTW hunters laptop proves Joe is compromised and was paid for beneficial treatment by Russia, Eukrain, and China.

It is true Trump hasn't MIS-managed this Pandemic because according to all involved he hasn't shown up at a Covid-19 strategy meeting in MONTHS.. So he hasn't MIS-managed it, he hasn't managed it at all..

Obama had 4 people die on his watch in Benghazi and the Republicans and the Con media masters lost their minds.. Trump goes golfing and doesn't even go to meetings about the Virus that has killed 250,000 people, and almost every Republican politician still support Trump and millions of his cult don't give a damn... And oh BTW many of these callous they don't care how many die from Covid-19 Republicans are PRO-LIFE, or at least they say they are..

What a bunch of callous, awful human beings Trump's cult is...

What do you suggest, besides violence, to stop looters and arsonists from destroying local businesses?
Won't it be ironic when we discover that for the next 8 years all the rioters and looters will be butthurt trumpists? We all know it's going to happen, it always does!

Good.

The sad part is this should be the default situation in every state.
So two rednecks get in a fight in Florida and one shoots the other, claiming he was just "standing his ground and the other guy was an Antifa member, me and my good 'ol boy friends saw him spray painting a building". It's legal murder.

Daddyo, you made some very good points, and you're speaking from experiences that I don't have. I'm single, have no children, and don't own a business that can be attacked by looters. That's why it's easy for me to take the position I did. Like you said, regardless of how specific our laws are, mistakes are going to happen, and I guess that possibility shouldn't restrict us from making necessary laws. I guess the solution would be to inform potential law-breakers that new rules are in place, and that it no longer matters if they are not endangering people's lives by looting--they will be endangering their own lives. That would be tough, but perhaps it's inevitable. I don't mean this to sound flip, but we really can't allow looting to become a new summertime activity. Thanks, Daddyo!
Thank you! Someone with reason and empathy. Its easy for me because of that experience as you said. My experience began in the late 80's during the Tampa Riots. It was one of those events that changed my thinking and life forever. Tampa police used the legal choke hold on a mentally ill but violent black man. He died in the jail from complications of that and drugs. The locals started to riot, burn, and loot. My grandparents had a printing business and their home in the riot zone.

I was very young and my hobby was shooting and firearms. So my hyper protective Latino mother asked me to do something that when she did I knew this was very serious as she would never put me in harms way EVER. So now I'm like wow this is serious. She asked me to go to grandma's house and keep them safe. Make sure nothing happens to them! I was floored! Excited yet worried. I grabbed my gear.....a ruger mini-14 and a Taurus pt-99 9mm and headed to my grand parents house. As night fell i could see the orange glow of the fires burning in then college hill project housing complex. The news showing the insane activity inside. As I waited for any threats to reveal themselves a patrol car pulled up at the intersection and parked lol. The relief I felt was incredible. It was almost as incredible as the feeling I felt when my mom asked me to protect my grandparents and when my grand parents saw me walk in lol. That mom would trust me to keep them safe and that they would feel safe with me there with them was priceless. What it did however was change my thinking and life forever. I was on the waiting list to become a sheriffs deputy and I scrapped that plan because of how they treated the officers involved in the incident. I also became an avid student in armed self defense. A mild prepper aswell lol. Learning and studying how dangerous the human animal can be as witnesses now via 3 decades of living but back then on TV.

Fast forward to a few months ago here locally and now in my own business. I now know why my grandparents felt that relief when they saw me walk in. All I have worked for at risk. Now with what I have learned I know my life is at risk aswell. My young but adult boys refused to allow me to go alone so now I have my kids at risk. It was very scary. My wife made me promise to keep them out of trouble. So I told her that I would be the one to use deadly force in any gray area that might arise. This law would have given me piece of mind for sure. Still wouldn't have shot anyone but to know that if I was necessary that we were protected would have gone a very long way toward feeling more at ease. Most good people will only use deadly force as the absolute last resort. We are no different. I will tell you the details of two potential threats that local boys prevented by warning them that we were inside the business and armed to the teeth. One was a car load of men 5 strong no obvious weapons were seen. The other was a man and woman with multiple firearms in the front seat of their vehicle asking locals what was up with our shop. They drove off when warned as well. So this was serious and deadly and damn scary.

Same folks that invented insurance also invented a thing called follow the damn law.

Many small businesses can't afford the high premiums of insurance. Can't afford armed security. They are hanging on by a thread. Rent, licensing fees, permits, taxes, labor costs all needing satisfaction before a profit can be realized. Its not fair for a lowlife violent thieving piece of crap to be able to destroy what someone has built through hard work and sacrifice.

I worked 98 hours per week to build my business from nothing. It was extremely hard on my body, my family, and my brain. To have it destroyed or pilfered would be devastating. At this point I simply can't do that again. So I could not rebuild it. Not financially but physically. No insurance will fix that.
Take it up with the insurance companies. If you are in business of any sort you need insurance. It seems to me the business owners are the ones who whine the most while they also benefit the most, way more than their employees.

Thank you! Someone with reason and empathy. Its easy for me because of that experience as you said. My experience began in the late 80's during the Tampa Riots. It was one of those events that changed my thinking and life forever. Tampa police used the legal choke hold on a mentally ill but violent black man. He died in the jail from complications of that and drugs. The locals started to riot, burn, and loot. My grandparents had a printing business and their home in the riot zone.

I was very young and my hobby was shooting and firearms. So my hyper protective Latino mother asked me to do something that when she did I knew this was very serious as she would never put me in harms way EVER. So now I'm like wow this is serious. She asked me to go to grandma's house and keep them safe. Make sure nothing happens to them! I was floored! Excited yet worried. I grabbed my gear.....a ruger mini-14 and a Taurus pt-99 9mm and headed to my grand parents house. As night fell i could see the orange glow of the fires burning in then college hill project housing complex. The news showing the insane activity inside. As I waited for any threats to reveal themselves a patrol car pulled up at the intersection and parked lol. The relief I felt was incredible. It was almost as incredible as the feeling I felt when my mom asked me to protect my grandparents and when my grand parents saw me walk in lol. That mom would trust me to keep them safe and that they would feel safe with me there with them was priceless. What it did however was change my thinking and life forever. I was on the waiting list to become a sheriffs deputy and I scrapped that plan because of how they treated the officers involved in the incident. I also became an avid student in armed self defense. A mild prepper aswell lol. Learning and studying how dangerous the human animal can be as witnesses now via 3 decades of living but back then on TV.

Fast forward to a few months ago here locally and now in my own business. I now know why my grandparents felt that relief when they saw me walk in. All I have worked for at risk. Now with what I have learned I know my life is at risk aswell. My young but adult boys refused to allow me to go alone so now I have my kids at risk. It was very scary. My wife made me promise to keep them out of trouble. So I told her that I would be the one to use deadly force in any gray area that might arise. This law would have given me piece of mind for sure. Still wouldn't have shot anyone but to know that if I was necessary that we were protected would have gone a very long way toward feeling more at ease. Most good people will only use deadly force as the absolute last resort. We are no different. I will tell you the details of two potential threats that local boys prevented by warning them that we were inside the business and armed to the teeth. One was a car load of men 5 strong no obvious weapons were seen. The other was a man and woman with multiple firearms in the front seat of their vehicle asking locals what was up with our shop. They drove off when warned as well. So this was serious and deadly and damn scary.

Holy cow, Daddyo! What a post! I'm so impressed by your bravery when it comes to defending your loved ones! And you have such a great attitude about it--where you hope you don't have to do anything but are willing to do it--which is the mark of a true hero. I'm just kind of floored. This is a good example of what I was saying in another thread a while back--"On a message board, you never know who you're talking to." Thanks for posting that, Daddyo!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

A trump supporter tries to lecture someone about "bubbles" and "propaganda." HAHAHAHAHAH! Maybe you'll get that Pennsylvania recount to thwart the will of the people if you and Rudy just try hard enough! Hurry up and schedule that meeting at the Four Seasons! :ROFLMAO:
Better than allowing illegal votes give it to the wrong man. I know you don't care about winning by cheating as long as its your candidate that wins. Just another integrity depleted liberal propagandist.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

So angry! So irrational! Calm down and learn to stand against violence instead of for it.
Stand against violence says the riot supporting hypocrite lol. You just continue to amaze lol.

Better than allowing illegal votes give it to the wrong man. I know you don't care about winning by cheating as long as its your candidate that wins. Just another integrity depleted liberal propagandist.
Stand against violence says the riot supporting hypocrite lol. You just continue to amaze lol.
Did you have something intelligent to say, or are you just going to keep tossing those childish ad homs? :)

Allow the police to do their jobs, which I'll acknowledge is something many on the left would rather not allow.
They, the police, watched businesses burn and did nothing to stop it. Police i spoke with said it was the mayor, a liberal, and city council not them who made that decision.

IMO, this bill goes way too far, but I understand the sentiment behind it.

Too few on the left understand that property rights are closely linked to human rights. If you do not respect what is mine, you do not respect me. Turning a blind eye to the abuse of one's property -- as so many Progressives do so long as the damage is done in the name of the cause du jour -- is step one toward directing the abuse at those owning that property.

So who cares if some white, privileged, corporate fat-cat got cracked over the head during our protest? He probably had it coming to him ...
Its liberals who foster this behavior. In one city if you steal less than 1000 dollars there are no charges filed. Other cities have laws that allow theft if it is for life necessities. You just can't make this stuff up.

Liberals have all but ruined this country. They are about to finish the job in the next few years.

Would you support a bill allowing bystanders to shoot cops they deem racist?
Being a racist might be vile and disgusting but it isn't life threatening or business destroying.

Its liberals who foster this behavior. In one city if you steal less than 1000 dollars there are no charges filed. Other cities have laws that allow theft if it is for life necessities. You just can't make this stuff up.

Liberals have all but ruined this country. They are about to finish the job in the next few years.
You'll get no argument from me that our friends on the left are, increasingly, less serious about preventing crime than they used to be or should. be. And while I think their lack of seriousness -- and its consequences -- make the desire for vigilante justice understandable, it still doesn't make it advisable.

If anyone thinks this law will stop at just shooting looters and rioters hasn't been paying attention..

Pretty soon citizens will be shooting joggers for no reason, oh wait never mind.. That's already happening...

Anyway weekly I read people in Florida are shooting each other over parking spaces, backyard disputes, a guy killed his pregnant wife because he 'says' he thought she was a burglar...

Yeah just want this divided, full of deplorables country needs... More reasons to kill each other..
Parking space shooter was convicted of murder. Used stand your ground as a defense and it failed.

The jogger was suspected of burglary and when confronted he violently attacked a citizen trying to find out if he was the burglar. Citizen has been charged and the court will hear both sides to determine guilt if any. IMO the dead guy shouldn't have attacked. Attacking an armed man seems to indicate a willingness to face deadly force which makes the intent of the attacker even more dangerous.

Many times each year murderers try to use self defense or other false excuses to escape being convicted of murder. While I don't know the case of the pregnant wife I do know detectives will investigate and if that story has any holes the guy is gonna face the music. If he is being truthful his punishment will haunt him for his remaining life.

Violence is always wrong. Stopping violence with violence is therefore also wrong. 2 Wrongs do not make 1 right.

You need to take away the reason why people are violent. Actually, the violence is a side effect. People are angry and demonstrating. Take away their anger. And their won't be demonstrations. Without demonstrations their won't be rioters either. The rioters are not the demonstrators. They are stupid people who like violence and use the demonstrations as an excuse to be violent.

Put cameras everywhere. Trace them. Arrest them. Lock them up for a very long time. In prison they can be violent all they want and this will be dealt with accordingly by either the other inmates or the guards.

Joey.
When you are being killed by a violent attacker please at that moment understand that its precisely because of the above posted mindset that you are dying. Blame only yourself.

Easily one of the most unrealistic post I've ever read.

PS i wish zero harm and a lifetime of goodness for you. My post is for debate purposes only.

:LOL: :LOL:

Why don't we look at the current hotspots right now. Averaged over the last week, the worst spike in cases right now are in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Iowa, and Nebraska. All Red states. Even the Republican governor of North Dakota realized things are so bad in his state that he finally, finally issued a statewide mask mandate.

You people don't care about human life. You are just fine with a quarter million dead Americans, yet if one protester throws one brick through one window, you people scream AAANNNNTEEEEFFFAAAHHHHH!
Explain the spikes also being reported in lock down state einstein? In anti trump or desantis libtard states. Selective ignorance lol.

Hi NatMorton,

Don't get me wrong, I would defend myself. But I still hate violence. And I still think we should always try to do anything we can to avoid violence.

Joey
Thats what good people do. We try to avoid trouble and always do the right thing. Sometimes it isn't possible. When all else has failed and death or great bodily harm is still eminent, its then that you had better use controlled violence to end the attack. Doing so doesn't make you a bad person it simply allows you to live were you may have died.

Back
Top Bottom