• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:277] Florida's DeSantis moves to allow citizens to shoot looters, rioters targeting businesses

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

The legislation is an attempt to prevent "violent and disorderly assemblies" by permitting violence against anyone involved in the "interruption or impairment" of a business, reportedly described in the draft as being a burglary within 500 feet of "violent or disorderly assembly," according to reporting by the Miami Herald Tuesday.

Good.

"It allows for vigilantes to justify their actions," a former Miami-Dade County prosecutor, Denise Georges, who has worked with Stand Your Ground cases told the Miami publication. "It also allows for death to be the punishment for a property crime — and that is cruel and unusual punishment. We cannot live in a lawless society where taking a life is done so casually and recklessly."

The draft legislation also includes measures that would make protesting which disrupts the public by blocking traffic, a third degree felony. The law would also reportedly grant immunity to drivers who unintentionally kill or injure protesters who were blocking traffic.

The sad part is this should be the default situation in every state.

Good.

Ron DeSatan, the same Rethuglican governor who opened his beaches in the middle of a pandemic? That governor?

Jesus. No wonder Florida has such a bad reputation.

giphy.gif

Ron DeSatan, the same Rethuglican governor who opened his beaches in the middle of a pandemic? That governor?

Jesus. No wonder Florida has such a bad reputation.
Well that's a cogent rebuttal to the points made by the governor. :rolleyes:

How about by starting with a return to REALITY.

4ees84.jpg
Ignoring for the moment that (a) people can be concerned about more than one thing at a time, and (b) the notion that "Trump supporters" are "fine" with 20,000 deaths from SARS-CoV-2 is facially absurd, let's look at what this is suggesting: if we work ourselves into a frenzy ("lose our minds") over COVID, the riots and looting... will stop? Because that was the question.

Ignoring for the moment that (a) people can be concerned about more than one thing at a time, and (b) the notion that "Trump supporters" are "fine" with 20,000 deaths from SARS-CoV-2 is facially absurd, let's look at what this is suggesting: if we work ourselves into a frenzy ("lose our minds") over COVID, the riots and looting... will stop? Because that was the question.

The "riots and looting" has been a trumpist scapegoat for awhile. Remind me how many people anarchist protesters have killed in the last four years?

Good.

Not disagreeing, I believe a person has the Right to defend their property, we do in Texas. Anyway, is there a loot of burning and looting going on in Florida?

How about by starting with a return to REALITY.

That's not an answer. Again, how should local business owners prevent looters and arsonists from destroying their businesses?

I see no other way besides using force and violence against them.

That's not an answer. Again, how should local business owners prevent looters and arsonists from destroying their businesses?

Over 200,000 Americans, including seventeen thousand Floridians, are dead because of COVID-19 mismanagement.

You show me numbers anywhere nearly that bad from anarchist rioters, and I will immediately retract my point. Put up or shut up.

I see no other way besides using force and violence against them.

Aha! Now we're getting somewhere. This was your (plural) motivation all along: More legalization of violence. For the worst among us, Trayvon Martin was just a trial balloon, to see how deplorable they could get.

It allows for vigilantes to justify their actions," a former Miami-Dade County prosecutor, Denise Georges, who has worked with Stand Your Ground cases told the Miami publication. "It also allows for death to be the punishment for a property crime — and that is cruel and unusual punishment. We cannot live in a lawless society where taking a life is done so casually and recklessly."
It's obvious Denise Georges is either a liar or has forgotten all her law school studies.

Use of force by private citizens against looters is not "cruel and unusual punishment." In fact, it's not "punishment" at all. Punishments are meted out by juries or judges after a person accused of a crime has been convicted.

Further, although I'd withhold judgment on this particular measure until I saw the text, I think a relaxation of laws regarding uses of force in civil unrest situations can be warranted. A person is fully justified in remaining within their place of business in order to protect the building and its contents. When a horde of people crash through the front windows, I see no reason at all why a shop owner inside should be made to assume the rioters are only there for stuff, and must wait until they are physically harmed in order to respond with violence. Further still, a violent response (of some kind) is immediately warranted to expel the intruders; if the intruders escalate the violence in response to the attempt to repel them, that should not be on the shop owner.

In sum, there is certainly room for improvement in laws covering these types of scenarios, but I can't say if this is a step in the right direction. It sounds reasonable, though.

The "riots and looting" has been a trumpist scapegoat for awhile. Remind me how many people anarchist protesters have killed in the last four years?
Why? Is your position that we aren't allowed to care about or take measures to stop looting until SARS-CoV-2 has receded? Coronavirus is utterly irrelevant to this thread.

They've destroyed billions in private property. ****'em. Shoot their asses.

Why? Is your position that we aren't allowed to care about or take measures to stop looting until SARS-CoV-2 has receded? Coronavirus is utterly irrelevant to this thread.

Your selective outrage is on full display. You don't care about the over 200,000 dead Americans, but let one brick go through one window and it's OMG ANTEEEFFUUUHHHHH with you people.

It's actually funny to think that you thought you could win the presidential election with that selective outrage. :LOL:

Your selective outrage is on full display. You don't care about the over 200,000 dead Americans, but let one brick go through one window and it's OMG ANTEEEFFUUUHHHHH with you people.
Why do you keep talking about the coronavirus as if it has something to do with what we're talking about? I mean, I could play this game too and whine about how Democrats shouldn't try to advance a gun control agenda while hundreds of thousands of people are dying from coronavirus, but I won't because that's a retarded argument. Just like yours. So, do you have an alternative solution that would prevent rioters and looters from destroying local businesses or are you just going to keep whining about irrelevant things?

It's actually funny to think that you thought you could win the presidential election with that selective outrage. :LOL:
A: I was never running for president, and therefore never thought I could win the election.
B: The party I've supported in every presidential race since 2004 had a good showing, but still only pulled just over one percent of the vote. I was never under any delusion that "my team" would win.

Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Why do you keep talking about the coronavirus as if it has something to do with what we're talking about? I mean, I could play this game too and whine about how Democrats shouldn't try to advance a gun control agenda while hundreds of thousands of people are dying from coronavirus, but I won't because that's a retarded argument. Just like yours. So, do you have an alternative solution that would prevent rioters and looters from destroying local businesses or are you just going to keep whining about irrelevant things?

A: I was never running for president, and therefore never thought I could win the election.
B: The party I've supported in every presidential race since 2004 had a good showing, but still only pulled just over one percent of the vote. I was never under any delusion that "my team" would win.

Nice try, though.

Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Here, let me put the picture up again to help you read the accompanying text.

4ees84.jpg

Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Here, let me put the picture up again to help you read the accompanying text.

4ees84.jpg
So you're... just going to keep whining about irrelevant things then.

Okay, you are now pointless.

So you're... just going to keep whining about irrelevant things then.

Okay, you are now pointless.

And that is why you lost. You people kept screaming ANTIFA! ANTIFA! ANTIFA!, like kids at sleepovers scream BLOODY MARY! BLOODY MARY! BLOODY MARY!, while your president disastrously mismanaged the worst pandemic in a century.

Nobody outside the right-wing bubble cares about Antifa. Americans do care about the pandemic. They want a real President who will put a stop to it so that we can finally get back to our lives without taking foolish risks that might get more people killed.

Good.

Yes, they are writing it loose, so that they can shoot Nwords that protest. They intend on the next couple waving their guns use them on citizens.

And that is why you lost.
I don't think any of this is why Jo Jorgensen lost. And you whine about my reading comprehension?

while your president disastrously mismanaged the worst pandemic in a century.
He managed it just as well as your president did.

Nobody outside the right-wing bubble cares about Antifa.
I bet the people who had their livelihoods walk out the front door in the hands of looters and people whose life's work was burned to the ground care at least a little bit. I bet people who were assaulted for defending their property might give one or two shits.

Americans do care about the pandemic.
They care about that, too. Did you know people can care about more than one thing at a time?

They want a real President who will put a stop to it so that we can finally get back to our lives without taking foolish risks that might get more people killed.
Did you also know that coronavirus has nothing to do with this thread? Talk about it elsewhere. Your insistence on talking about coronavirus instead of the topic of this thread might lead a reasonable person to wonder if you are just trolling. You wouldn't want people to think that, would you?

Good.

Right Wingers pining to kill fellow Americans. Gee, what a surprise.

I don't think any of this is why Jo Jorgensen lost. And you whine about my reading comprehension?

He managed it just as well as your president did.

I bet the people who had their livelihoods walk out the front door in the hands of looters and people whose life's work was burned to the ground care at least a little bit. I bet people who were assaulted for defending their property might give one or two shits.

They care about that, too. Did you know people can care about more than one thing at a time?

Did you also know that coronavirus has nothing to do with this thread? Talk about it elsewhere. Your insistence on talking about coronavirus instead of the topic of this thread might lead a reasonable person to wonder if you are just trolling. You wouldn't want people to think that, would you?

Sorry, it's impossible to tell right-wingers from right-wing libertarians these days. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom