• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#2026]School's out forever: Arizona moves "to kill public education" with new universal voucher law

Vouchers do not address the problem of parents not supporting education.

I 100% have an enormous problem with punishing children for factors outside their control. I 100% have an enormous problem with government created class system. I 100% have a problem with schools getting taxpayer money to discriminate against children.

The ones who want to learn can learn in public school. There is nothing preventing that.
No you don’t. If you did you wouldn’t make a student that is interesting in learning in a safe environment be forced to go to a dangerous inner city school because their caregivers can’t afford t move into a better district.

We've never been a less Christian society than we are today. Giving parents the choice of where to send their kids to school is not fascism, not even a little. What's closer to fascism is trying to force a state-run public education on all children that feeds them a very specific message of indoctrination.
State run public education does not indoctrinate children and the only ones rambling on about such things are people who want to force religious dogma on everyone including their own children who can't object.

Doesn't it frustrate you that they get the same pay raises and benefits as you?
In our district (and I believe most/all districts in Missouri) teacher salaries are based on a salary schedule. The schedule looks something like this:

Bachelor's DegreeBachelor's Degree + 12 college hoursBachelor's Degree + 24 college hours
Year 1$30,000$30,700$31,400
Year 2$30,700$31,400$32,100
Year 3$31,400$32,100$32,800

So our salaries are based on years of experience and level of college education. So why do I care what someone else makes? I know what I'll be making and that's all that should matter.

As far as bad teachers go, yes, I've worked with them too. But there are MANY variables to this. Sometimes a teacher is not a bad teacher, they are just not in the right situation. Sometimes they are inexperienced. Sometimes they are inexperienced in the class they are teaching. Sometimes they are just rotten, lazy, and uncaring.

But, in my experience, the number of bad teachers in the last column is rare. And it's even rarer that they are allowed to stay as a teacher.

Yes, very sadly IMO, many private schools and a huge majority of universities lean pretty far to very far left.
I think you're confusing educated, openness, and tolerance with "far left".

I think it's unforgivable that conservatives, for decades, allowed education at all levels to be virtually taken over by liberals and thus become heavily laden with indoctrination.
Education is not heavily laden with liberal indoctrination. This is just false. Stop repeating what you've been indoctrinated by right wing media to believe.
It's been slow in coming but conservatives will not take their votes for local school board members lightly again. Heck, a school board election now has nearly the importance of a presidential election, to me.
So, in other words, you're trying to do what you falsely accuse others of doing.

not even including children with learning disabilities. I'm thinking of two normal kids
I understand the point you're trying to make, but I want to highlight yet another problem with a two tiered educational system. You literally just said students with learning disabilities are not "normal". Think about the callous nature of your comment.

No you don’t.
I literally teach for a living. Perhaps you should keep that in mind before telling me how I feel about a child's education.
If you did you wouldn’t make a student that is interesting in learning in a safe environment be forced to go to a dangerous inner city school
And...I think we've just reached the heart of the issue. I wonder if you realize what I mean.
because their caregivers can’t afford t move into a better district.
So the caregivers cannot afford to move to a better district, but they can afford thousands of dollars (after the voucher program) in tuition and the time/money it would take to send their child to the private school that does not offer busing?

You just said you send your child to a school that costs over $60,000 to attend. You say that after financial aid, you only pay $9,000 (which suggests your child qualifies for aid in a way most children would not, whatever that qualification may be), which is still $2,000 more than the voucher program offers.

If your concern is that inner city students can't afford to move, how in the world do you think they can afford a $60,000+ education at a school 3 hours away?

State run public education does not indoctrinate children and the only ones rambling on about such things are people who want to force religious dogma on everyone including their own children who can't object.
This is exactly correct. It's all projection, as I showed earlier with AlbqOwl. It's not that they are against indoctrination, it is that they are FOR indoctrination and they don't like it when their preferred form of indoctrination is not forced on everyone.

I literally teach for a living. Perhaps you should keep that in mind before telling me how I feel about a child's education.

And...I think we've just reached the heart of the issue. I wonder if you realize what I mean.

So the caregivers cannot afford to move to a better district, but they can afford thousands of dollars (after the voucher program) in tuition and the time/money it would take to send their child to the private school that does not offer busing?

You just said you send your child to a school that costs over $60,000 to attend. You say that after financial aid, you only pay $9,000 (which suggests your child qualifies for aid in a way most children would not, whatever that qualification may be), which is still $2,000 more than the voucher program offers.

If your concern is that inner city students can't afford to move, how in the world do you think they can afford a $60,000+ education at a school 3 hours away?
That's not the point. The point is you're willing to prevent child A and B going to a better school because child C doesn't have parents that care about their child's education.

In our district (and I believe most/all districts in Missouri) teacher salaries are based on a salary schedule. The schedule looks something like this:

Bachelor's DegreeBachelor's Degree + 12 college hoursBachelor's Degree + 24 college hours
Year 1$30,000$30,700$31,400
Year 2$30,700$31,400$32,100
Year 3$31,400$32,100$32,800

So our salaries are based on years of experience and level of college education. So why do I care what someone else makes? I know what I'll be making and that's all that should matter.

As far as bad teachers go, yes, I've worked with them too. But there are MANY variables to this. Sometimes a teacher is not a bad teacher, they are just not in the right situation. Sometimes they are inexperienced. Sometimes they are inexperienced in the class they are teaching. Sometimes they are just rotten, lazy, and uncaring.

But, in my experience, the number of bad teachers in the last column is rare. And it's even rarer that they are allowed to stay as a teacher.
And in all those situations the students are the ones that suffer. My perception is completely different based on my experience in our district:

1656947564705.png

And we live in a very safe, low-crime area. Thisisi the pay scale that inner city Philly should have, but it looks more like your district. So yeah at those pay scales when I hear teachers complain that they have to give a child the course for the week of school they are missing to go on vacation and it's not fair because teachers don't get to take off school for vacation, I roll my eyes pretty damn hard.

That's not the point. The point is you're willing to prevent child A and B going to a better school
This is a lie. I've never said A and B can't go to a different school (and, again, I disagree strongly with "better")...I just said it shouldn't be on the taxpayers to pay for a private (oftentimes religious) education at a school that actively discriminates against students. Please stop with the strawman arguments.
because child C doesn't have parents that care about their child's education.
If taxpayers are paying for A and B's private education at a school that refuses to accept C because C has a learning disability, then it is actively HURTING C's education. You are advocating for a system where A and B already have an economic advantage over C and you want the government to punish C in order to help A and B.

Your argument is far more detrimental to a child's education than anything I'm saying.

And in all those situations the students are the ones that suffer.
Which makes absolutely ZERO difference between a private school and public school, since the private school is going to have those exact same problems. I've known teachers who couldn't hack it at the public schools who got jobs at the private school. The idea that private school teachers are automatically better than public school teachers is laughable.
My perception is completely different based on my experience in our district:
Your salary schedule is basically the same as what I presented. I'm not sure what you mean by "completely different". Could you explain?
And we live in a very safe, low-crime area. Thisisi the pay scale that inner city Philly should have, but it looks more like your district.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, since I did not provide my district's salary schedule, I just made up those numbers. It was the structure I was demonstrating.

With that said, the graphic you posted is EASILY far more money than what our teachers make.
So yeah at those pay scales when I hear teachers complain that they have to give a child the course for the week of school they are missing to go on vacation and it's not fair because teachers don't get to take off school for vacation, I roll my eyes pretty damn hard.
Again, I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Could you explain? No snark, genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Our local public school is trending that way. It’s a shame. The reality is the world is extremely competitive and hiding that from students does them a huge disservice.
Boy, do I agree. It's an absolutely terrible trend. Luckily, when too many public schools trend that way (and they are multiplying quickly), there will still be private schools where competition to get in and competition to compete once admitted, will be alive and well. I'm school choice's biggest fan for that exact reason. I want to not only see competition among students to properly identify our brightest students but I want tons of competition among schools to week out the worst and highlight the best schools.

Vouchers do not address the problem of parents not supporting education.
I'll agree with that but I'd argue those who are supportive of vouchers tend to be the parents who care the most about their own child's education. Those parents who are dedicated to the education of their children, want the best educational opportunity they can find for their child. Choices, to them, are welcome.

Who told me this lol? When you have one teacher in a classroom with 25 students, 5 are gifted, 2 are extremely gifeted, 5 have severe learning disabilities, 1 is dyslexic and 12 fall somewhere in-between there is NO WAY every student is getting everything they need to reach their greatest potential.
Where did you get those numbers from?

No, it's true. I was literally friends with a boy in school who was kicked out of his private religious school (for behavior reasons). Private schools absolutely discriminate in who they take.

...we'll ignore administration for a second...do you have any idea what support staff do? Why they are important? Why there are more of them than there used to be? I'll give you a hint...a significant part of it goes back to the students with disabilities I mentioned earlier.

What state am I looking for? Also, I'm VERY curious who all is included in the "All Staff" category. I do appreciate the source but you do understand that support staff is often in classroom positions, correct? For example, one of our special education classrooms will have a certificated instructor and two or three aides who are there to assist in education. But those aides would not be included in the certificated teachers column (which I know for a fact the "Teachers" column represents because I cross checked it with DESE's website).

So...without knowing exactly who is included in "all staff", I do not believe your source supports your initial claim that "half the employees are in non classroom positions".

Nope. Straight public schools like the ones we're discussing. Here's a link to school enrollments in Missouri (I believe every public school will be on the list, but there will be some private schools who are not):

Notice how many come in under 100 students in grades 9-12.

No, it is not. And that's coming directly from my father, who has taught in both public and private schools. Again, it depends entirely on the school itself.

No one wants to keep poor performing teachers. That doesn't make private schools special or unique.

Not based on the posts you've provided in this thread thus far.

No you haven't. You've provided empty rhetoric, false claims, and meaningless statements that apply to nearly all schools.

Because they are not. Because if they dealt with the same students public schools deal with, they would fare no better and likely much worse than the public schools. But because private schools discriminate in which students they allow to enter their school, they can create the myth that the school is somehow better.

It's easily the biggest one. Again, Johnny is doing no better in the private school than in the public school. But the private school doesn't have to take Johnny.

No one is saying parents cannot put their kids into private school, we're just saying they shouldn't get to use taxpayer money to do it.

I have more than humored you with these long, extreme-multi point posts. However, they're largely argumentative, and are trying to shotgun or argue around the core issues. I'll trust you'll let me know if there's something in there that's important to you.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I want to highlight yet another problem with a two tiered educational system. You literally just said students with learning disabilities are not "normal". Think about the callous nature of your comment.
Nah, that's just you twisting away from the full context of my comment. My comment was about the huge differences in something like math ability, even in children without diagnosed disabilities (those disabilities which add additional and sometimes significant learning challenges).
I'm not playing along with your attempted shame game. That's a stupid tactic.

I'll agree with that but I'd argue those who are supportive of vouchers tend to be the parents who care the most about their own child's education. Those parents who are dedicated to the education of their children, want the best educational opportunity they can find for their child.
And the children of those parents are probably already doing just fine in school. Because, again, private schools do not have a magic wand they can wave.

Since those schools are turning down over 90% of their stellar applicants because they only have so many spots, that goes to show you that we don't have a shortage of the country's brightest.
Not exactly. Because students can apply to multiple schools with the mere push of a button, many of them are applying to more than 10 schools at a time. And many of them are applying to schools that they don't qualify for. This will naturally drive down the acceptance rates.

I have more than humored you with these long, extreme-multi point posts. However, they're largely argumentative, and are trying to shotgun or argue around the core issues.
No, they directly address the core issues. The reason you don't want to reply to them is because you know you have no concrete evidence of the things you are saying and the empty rhetoric you're providing is either false or equal to both private and public schools.

Many public schools have class sizes smaller than private schools. Private schools do no better with the Johnnys in the world than the public schools and probably are less effective. No school wants poor performing teachers. Support positions ARE in-class positions, in most cases, and the increase in these positions has been due, in large part, to the increase in opportunities for students with learning disabilities. And the rigor of private schools is not automatically of a higher level than public schools just "because"...it depends on the schools themselves.

All of these things are true. And there's a reason you don't want to discuss them.
I'll trust you'll let me know if there's something in there that's important to you.
The only thing that is important to me is your acknowledgement that the things you are saying are either false, leaving out context, or equal to both public and private schools.

Nah, that's just you twisting away from the full context of my comment.
No, I acknowledged I understood the point you were trying to make...but it doesn't change the fact you literally differentiated between "normal" students and students with learning disabilities.
I'm not playing along with your attempted shame game. That's a stupid tactic.
I'm not trying to shame you, I do not believe you were trying to be hateful towards children with special needs. I'm trying to illustrate another side effect of a government promoted two tier educational system. "Normal" students use the government vouchers to go to private schools that will accept them while "not normal" students are prevented from doing the same.

This is a lie. I've never said A and B can't go to a different school (and, again, I disagree strongly with "better")...I just said it shouldn't be on the taxpayers to pay for a private (oftentimes religious) education at a school that actively discriminates against students. Please stop with the strawman arguments.

If taxpayers are paying for A and B's private education at a school that refuses to accept C because C has a learning disability, then it is actively HURTING C's education. You are advocating for a system where A and B already have an economic advantage over C and you want the government to punish C in order to help A and B.

Your argument is far more detrimental to a child's education than anything I'm saying.
How is that child being punished?

Many public schools have class sizes smaller than private schools. Private schools do no better with the Johnnys in the world than the public schools and probably are less effective. No school wants poor performing teachers. Support positions ARE in-class positions, in most cases, and the increase in these positions has been due, in large part, to the increase in opportunities for students with learning disabilities. And the rigor of private schools is not automatically of a higher level than public schools just "because"...it depends on the schools themselves.
And you brought up rural schools in Missouri. That's not really the schools we're talking about. It's the urban ones where they are stacking 30 people in a classroom. Private (and charter) schools tend to use smaller class sizes and to be more responsive to the individual kids' needs. One reason they tend to be better.

Noting again - it's not JUST about good vs. evil, but giving parents a choice. There are many public schools that are good and parents are happy to have their kids there. Others - not so much. Why not give parents the option to take their students, and state dollars designated for their education - to a school that IS better?

No, they directly address the core issues. The reason you don't want to reply to them is because you know you have no concrete evidence of the things you are saying and the empty rhetoric you're providing is either false or equal to both private and public schools.

All of these things are true. And there's a reason you don't want to discuss them.

The only thing that is important to me is your acknowledgement that the things you are saying are either false, leaving out context, or equal to both public and private schools.
lol. You are being argumentative, and are now just switching to flinging poo. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom